Make A Date With World Of Goo – Update

By John Walker on October 3rd, 2008 at 9:53 pm.

How apt.

World Of Goo has a release date, both on Wiiware (in the US – it’s getting a retail release in Europe, apparently), and PC. That date is: 13th October. So less than two weeks. Oh boy!

2D Boy have confirmed for us that those who pre-ordered the game will be getting their copies as soon as this Monday. Kyle Gabler told us,

“We’re going to start sending out PC copies of the game to people who pre-ordered this Monday, October 6. Pre-orderers will also have access to Mac and and Linux copies, but those builds are not ready yet, only the Windows version for now.”

So for those who were smart enough to take our advice and pre-order the game, you’ll be playing it after the weekend! Read our review of the game here.

Update: 2D Boy have answered most of everyone’s questions regarding the release on their site, here. Including this snippet:

“world of goo will be released on wiiware in north america. a windows version will be simultaneously released on our website and a handful of well regarded digital distribution channels that we will announce early next week.”

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Mathonar says:

Woot, can’t come soon enough. Hoping for digital download by this time next week :)

2. me says:

Woot!!! 3 More days!!!!

3. dartt says:

Wow, I’m going to be excited all day at work. Must… not… get sacked… for playing WOG!

4. Lambo says:

Excellent. I’ve had mine pre-orderd for a week now and after playing chapter one I have been having euphoric dreams which include goo blobs (which, I should add, are very different from euphoric dreams which result in goo blobs ;) )

5. Paul says:

What’s the likelyhood of this getting a physical release?

6. Chris Evans says:

Aren’t they one and the same for you Lambo ;)

Regardless I too have contacted 2D Boy seeking more information!

7. The Poisoned Sponge says:

Must… not… burst… with… happiness….

8. Fazer says:

I’ll buy it if it’s on Steam.

nudge, nudge, wink, wink

9. Cian says:

Have had this preordered forever, and the current spate of reviews has only made this wait even harder. Can’t come soon enough.

10. terry says:

LittleBigPlanet beater or I will eat my socks.

With bacon.

11. TreeFrog says:

Demo? After Spore I’m not buying anything on the basis of good reviews.

12. Paul says:

I’m sick of hearing about LittleBigPlanet – still when I see it my heart leaps a little because I think it might be another Little Big Adventure game. And, cruelly, it isn’t.

13. Kareem says:

I do hope this shows up on Steam (I was actually hoping you could pre-order it there for access to the first chapter) and that the glowing reviews will lead to the availability of physical copies.

14. James G says:

Yay! Monday, thats not too long to wait. :: Stares ar clock ::

15. Ed says:

I’d like it on Steam too…

16. Bhazor says:

You know what? I didn’t like the first chapter.
    At least not until the balloons appeared which was when I thought it was wonderful. Until I then had the feeling it might become repetitive.
    Which was when I reached the chapter finale which left me gurgling like a baby out of joy and sadness.

All that said I hope they sorted out the lock on. It’s far too fiddly and jumps through all possible connections.

Still, oooh I’m excited.

Reply to Treefrog
    It costs £10. How much more convincing do you need?

17. TreeFrog says:

Bhazor – I don’t share your attitude towards money.

18. Bhazor says:

£10 is the equivalent of what? 1,000 Haribo cola bottles? That wouldn’t even see me through to Wednesday. There are books that cost more. Books!

Yeah there should be a demo. My guess is they’ll release it to capitalise on the print reviews.

Or you could say Tower of Goo is the demo.

Why do you lot want it on steam so much? I thought you’d prefer the DRM free download version.

19. Mil says:

@Paul: Heh, the same thing happens to me.

On a side note, why is isometric so underused nowadays? I think it looks great.

20. James G says:

I predict that chapter one will be released as a demo once the game is out, or possibly as early as next Monday when all the pre-order people have their copies.

21. tormented says:

Bhazor, lend us a tenner, would you?

(paypal to idealess.forever at gmail dot com is cool)

22. EyeMessiah says:

Hooray for pre-order. I have tricked my girlfriend into thinking I bought it for her as a present, but I just won’t tell her its out and I will play it all by myself ahahahahaahha

@Dartt
    I quit my job this week so I am all set.

Tonight I laminated some empty yugioh wrappers together into retro 80s style dinner mats while listening to the RPS radio, while my girlfriend worked. Ah its great to be unemployed. Who’s winning now??!

23. Will Tomas says:

Does anyone know whether the Wiiware version is identical to the ‘proper’ PC version?

24. Weylund says:

Seriously — it’s a tiny, DRM-free download. Why would you want it on Steam?

About LittleBigPlanet vs. Little Big Adventure: yes. It is heart-breaking.

25. Frank says:

Alright already: I’ve caved in. Downloading chapter 1 now

26. cyrenic says:

Good thing I pre-ordered today :D.

27. Wedge says:

OH HALLZ YES. I pre-ordered this AGES ago. Can’t wait for Munday.

28. Kynes says:

Playing..on..Monday?!?!! HELL YES

A good monday, this will be.

Probably not an option for many, but the game is quite nice on a tablet with a stylus.

29. Sarin says:

“OH HALLZ YES. I pre-ordered this AGES ago. Can’t wait for Munday.”
    :D

30. Little Green Man says:

I SO want to get this!

31. Pidesco says:

Never mind…

32. thesombrerokid says:

I want it on steam cause I’m the forgetful and lazy type who’d like to install just 1 application and get access to all the games I’ve ever loved right away which is what steam does very nicely.

33. Pags says:

so glad i was swept away on a wave of walkerisms and decided to pre-order.

34. Little Green Man says:

yay! Preordered, at the same time as Far Cry 2.

35. Little Green Man says:

Just played through the first chapter. AWESOME!

Can’t wait till Monday.

36. Adam Hepton says:

I’m just waiting for the inevitable backlash when most who pre-ordered fail to receive their email on Monday – it says that they’ll be sending out mails to everyone from Monday, over the course of the next week, as they have a quota of emails they can send out daily set by their provider.

Don’t be upset if it doesn’t arrive on Monday, peeps. Chances are that you’re more likely to not get it than to.

37. Thomas Larsen says:

It is coming on Steam.

As usual i’ll expect them to not care about the digital services and in the case of steam where you can actually opt-in to let customers register their cd-keys, they’ll probably tell us to go buy the game again.

Just like the devs did with the PA game. Oh well atleast i might get the game a bit earlier.

38. Lim-Dul says:

You do realize that there’s a button to add ANY application you want to Steam and what’s even more awesome it will have the whole overlay, track the gameplay time and stuff if you launch it this way?

39. Thomas Larsen says:

It’s also possible to just photoshop the game on the list, print it out and stick it on your monitor, and like adding the application to your list, it doesn’t serve much less of a purpose.

1. You get your game stored on Steam, so no running around to 30 different sites to get all of your games installed.
    2. You don’t need to worry about patches.
    3. The game is more accurately tracked when owned on steam, rather than added as a shortcut (i.e. games list, played games, etc.)
    4. Some games even use Steamworks which adds additional features than the retail game, and even so when they decide to “share” these features people still want it on the steam community rather than the -community.

I am so sick and tired of developers expecting users to shelve out another 20 bucks on a game because they’d rather have us buy it ignorantly from their site, than later on from steam.

[Unfounded accusations of people lying deleted – Ed]

40. Theory says:

You can’t blame them: Valve’s cut is tiny compared to a publisher’s, but it’s still in the region of 40%.

41. Thomas Larsen says:

That depends on the product, last i heard the cut is about 25%, Garry’s Mod is 50% because they licensed the engine to him as part of their cut.

But oddly enough it’s actually the other way around, Valve don’t actually get a cut if people don’t buy the game, so if they register the game using a cd-key not gained by purchase on steam, then Valve is actually not getting any cut.

The thing is that Valve believes that in the long-term they will gain customers by this, so they expect to earn back the money they lost by offering cd-key activations.

42. Lorc says:

I know you can do that with pre-steam valve games, but what about non-valve games? (Assuming the game is actually available via steam I mean.)

43. Thomas Larsen says:

Yeah there’s even a list here.

It’s mostly Valve games, obviously due to the fact that retail copies = steam, whereas other games doesn’t need steam to be used.

According to the Steamworks page the feature to add retail products to steam is free, all you need to do is to provide them with a database of serial keys so they can be validated.

I’ve also heard them express that this is free as well even if it’s not Steamworks as Valve’s primary goal is to just get as many on steam as they can, they believe their other lineups will make up for the lost publisher cuts.

Oh and for hothead i was more annoyed by the way they treated us, there wasn’t a single shred of truth in any of their statements, and when they were debunked far enough to a point they could no longer deny it they just locked the thread.

So to be perfectly clear:
    1. You give Valve a database of keys.
    2. Customer enters key.
    3. Steam handles it like it were a purchase, but with a voucher making it free.

So their claim that their licensing and DRM were incompatible were just stupid, if that were really the case then no copy would work, purchased or not.

44. John Walker says:

Thomas – I don’t understand your peculiar sense of entitlement.

An indie developer may have no idea that they will have their game on Steam when they start selling through their own site, and they certainly don’t owe you anything if they later do. Clearly it’s nice if a company lets you access their game through Steam once you’ve bought it, but to not do so certainly doesn’t incur the rather remarkable anger you’re showing here.

For goodness sakes, just add the game to your Steam list and get over it!

45. Thomas Larsen says:

My original post was probably a bit harsh, i’m just a bit disappointed, but i fully understand that plans change, and i’m not saying that i’m entitled to anything.

Because whether or not they knew it was coming to steam, which realistically they didn’t, just like they didn’t have a Wii or Retail release planned in the beginning, they can still try to do this, and if it turns out that Valve wants money for it, being a non-steamworks project, then i can understand that.

46. Bhazor says:

“I just hope that they atleast consider the possibility, and at the very least don’t treat their customers like idiots when faced with the facts.” still quite angry considering a non steam release means you avoid DRM. Speaking of which why doesn’t RPS talk about that more? It’s hardly ever on.

47. Thomas Larsen says:

Well from my perspective the DRM in steam is nowhere as restrictive as other forms of DRM.

Of course one could say that no DRM is better than ANY DRM, but in this case i wouldn’t mind a bit of DRM for all of the other advantages.

48. jackflash says:

Bought the game based on RPS’s recommendation. It’s fun! Can’t wait for the rest to come out.

49. ILR says:

A surprising amount of love for a game that violates the RPS first rule of PC gaming, or whatever that alt-tab rule was.

At least the pre-order version has a curious habit of messing up the resolution / refresh rate when going from desktop back to game on my LCD panel. Wouldn’t be too surprised to see that fixed in the release version, though.

50. Andrew says:

The emails to people who pre-ordered are in the process of going out, it seems.

Cannot bloody wait.