That KOTOR MMO: Big Reveal Soon?

By Alec Meer on October 3rd, 2008 at 1:17 pm.

Oddly, the story we ran four months back about EA letting slip that Bioware were working on a Star Wars: Knight of the old Republic MMORPG is one that continues to pick up sporadic comments even now. Seems there’s a lot of very, very strong feelings about KOTOR, with a lot of people concerned that it moving online means they’ll never see another single-player outing or have the various dangling plot-threads resolved. Even without any details whatsoever, there was a lot of spitting, expletive-filled fury about the game’s mere existence, much of which we removed in the name of peace, harmony and not having this site be the number one Google hit for “F*CK YOU EA!!!!!!!”

Sounds like we’ll soon find out whether folks’ fears are justified, as ‘orrible UK tabloid The Daily Star has blared that it’s off to see the game in San Francisco. Details and screens soon then, hopefully. Will it be Galaxies 2, WoW in space or will a rejuvenated Bioware – going on what we’ve seen of Dragon Age so far – come up with something new and distinct? Via CVG.

, , , .

1. rekki says:

i love my wow to much to get hooked on another game
    please dont make it….

oh if you must but for god sake do a good job. please

2. MeestaNob! says:

If this is any good it will be massive.

3. Bobsy says:

The… Star? What the hell are they doing getting a Kotor exclusive?

4. Bhazor says:

Please tell me this won’t be with Bioware or Obsidian. Please don’t let them be dragged into endless bloody MMORPG development. I want single player gosh darn it.

Hell give Obsidian a chance to release a remastered version of KOTOR 2 and I’ll give you £30 right now. I certainly doubt I’ll be buying this.

5. Jim Rossignol says:

It won’t just be The Daily Star at the SF event, they just decided to mention it before anyone else.

6. grumpy says:

Don’t worry, you’re not even on the first page of results when searching for ““F*CK YOU EA!!!!!!!”

7. Man Raised By Puffins says:

@ Bhazor: It’s being developed by Bioware’s Austin studio iirc, so I don’t think it’ll affect their singleplayer output or at least not for a while yet anyway. Particularly since they’ve committed themselves to a Mass Effect trilogy and are looking to build on Dragon Age: Origins.

8. Ragnar says:

@Bhazor

Apparently it is a completely new Bioware-team that does this.

9. Dante says:

I’m really, really interested to see what Bioware do with the MMORPG genre, seeing as how they’re usually so narrative based.

One thing’s for sure though, the characters and dialogue are likely to be light years ahead of the competition.

10. Diogo Ribeiro says:

Alec is right about there being very strong feelings about KOTOR, though. In fact, here are mine. If Bioware takes their derivative design to the MOG arena, and stay there, I won’t lose sleep over it.

In an alternate universe, Bioware would realize that offering nothing more than Potemkin villages of design just isn’t enough, and would try to do something else than being a one trick pony for their fanfiction and LARPing fanbase.

11. Ian says:

The Daily Star has words in it?

12. Heliocentric says:

Yes, “Daily” and “star”.

13. Bhazor says:

Also “Tits” and “Peadophiles”.

So it’s a MMORPG with no worthwhile talent involved and with no details disclosed. Sounds good this don’t it?

14. Duoae says:

“or will a rejuvenated Bioware – going on what we’ve seen of Dragon Age so far – come up with something new and distinct?”

Huh? Are you trying to say that Dragon Age is new and distinct? From what i’ve seen so far in the videos i’ve been extremely disappointed from the ideas discussed in the original EDGE preview. I think the aesthetic looks boring and typical of fantasy fare in so many cookie cutter novels/films.

Or are you saying that Bioware could be rejuvenated beyond what’s been shown in DA:Origins and come up with something new and distinct?

Either way, i’m not overly looking forward to a KoToR MMO because I want to make sure that it’s not going to be another ‘everybody’s a jedi’ game.

15. Bobsy says:

@Bhazor:

Are you aware of the Restoration Project? It’s nearly finished, but it’s been nearly finished for a year or so now. To their credit, they’re being incredibly dilligent over bug-hunting, but it goes to show just what a monstrous task debugging is when you set an amateur team on it.

16. Dante says:

What surprises me about that sentence is not the reference to Dragon Age, but the use of ‘rejuvenated’. Surely in order to be rejuvenated they’d have to have some sort of bad patch, as apposed to just being regularly excellent.

17. Ian says:

Re: Duoae’s comment about everybody wanting to be a jedi, how do people reckon they’d handle that? Just let people choose from the start and hope enough people choose other classes for it to be a balanced world? Or perhaps do something like the Death Knights will be in WoW where you can only start one after you have another character of a certain level?

Or something else entirely?

18. Jigglybean says:

I hope an pray its not going to be ANOTHER WOW clone – I am sick of them. Galaxies had the right ideas at launch but lack of content, unfixed bugs aided its downfall before NGE kicked in

19. teo says:

Please don’t let it be =(
    MMOs in their current state just need to fucking die
    Don’t make me play that game for KotOR content =(

20. Duoae says:

@ Ian.

There’s a few ways of going about it IMO:

1. Random – upon making a character you will later find out whether you’re able to become a Jedi (maybe at level 10 or something)
    2. Training – Again, make it a chore to become a Jedi so that not everyone will do it.
    3. Nerf Jedi so that they don’t have the massive advantage that they have in other games – specifically KOTOR 1&2 and Jedi Knight series. In the films and in certain game titles the Jedis weren’t so powerful and could easily be overcome by a well-trained/equipped group of people.

21. Bobsy says:

@Dante:

Weeeeell… it’s a slippery eel of a subject. Did Bioware ever slip in quality? Not really, but there’s a growing sense that they’ve had a slip in creativity. Or perhaps a stagnation. They have a very stringent structure they make their games to, and it’s very easy to see the same narrative themes cycle round time and time again.

So a rejuvenation in creativity for Bioware would be super-welcome.

22. Alec Meer says:

What Bobsy said.

23. teo says:

@Duoae crap solutions

The thing is:
    Jedis are supremely powerful. Everyone will want to be one and if they’re such that everyone doesn’t want to be one then they’re not faithful to Star Wars.

If everyone wants to be one, and can be one then everyone will be one. If they need to make 10 characters to do it, they will. If it’s random then it’s just bullshit

Regarding BioWare I think they write very good stories for video games and make very average games, but you still enjoy them a ton because of the story. Games are weird, they can be good for so many different reasons

24. Ian says:

@ Duoae: I disagree that they’re “crap” solutions and I think for me a combo of 2 and 3 would work. Because people will just keep rolling characters and grinding to the requisite level to find out if the want one I think a balance of the second and third ones would be best. They’re not going to want anybody at the level of a Revan or Malak anyway I guess as it’d then beg the question why they can’t go and kick everybody’s asses, so a combination of people just being “regular” jedi and it not being the easiest/simplest thing anyway might be best.

Jedi clearly aren’t all supremely powerful or the end of Revenge of the Sith wouldn’t have happened. And I know they’re meant to be, as a whole, weakened compared to what they once were but still. Stuff happened in the KotOR games to indicate they’re not all uber-badasses as well.

25. Bhazor says:

“Are you aware of the Restoration Project? It’s nearly finished, but it’s been nearly finished for a year or so now.”

Thats why I want Obsidian to do it. Not only are they professionals but they have access to all the stuff they aren’t allowed to give to the community. Obsidian had their time cut by about 5 months so I’d say they’d only need 6 months to get the job done as opposed to three years.

26. Bobsy says:

God, I’m good. In tomorrow’s episode, Bobsy successfully highlights the creative failings of John Romero’s hairstyles.

27. me says:

like a single palyer fps and its multiplayer counterpart, mmo games don’t give the experience as a single player rpg does.

28. grumpy says:

I’m surprised no one have mentioned the obvious solsution to the jedi problem:
    Just don’t make them playable at all. :)
    That would solve the problem of balancing. And of course, it’d be cool then to have a jedi NPC occasionally join you for a quest, wouldn’t it? ;)

Still, a Star Wars game where you don’t get to play a jedi would of course… tricky to sell.

29. Bobsy says:

X-Wing.

30. Gylfi says:

I love this. It took us 5 years to finally come up with this line:

“Will it be a WoW in space?”

At first we had no idea, We thought all genre is meant to be like WoW, no harm then. Then only AFTER a game would come out we’d stand up and go “damn it’s another WoW game”. But now.. oh yes, now We ask it beforetime… will it be another WoW? Praise be the lord.

Players are impatient on having, at last, a game that’s not WoW.

31. Ian says:

@ grumpy: I considered that, but that’d be no fun for discussion purposes. :D

And also, if they weren’t in initially it’d only be because they were holding them back for a planned later expansion.

32. Duoae says:

@Teo.

I have to agree with Ian in that jedi are not supposed to be really powerful. More powerful and skilled (when trained) than a normal being but not godlike. I can’t think of any one of the films were the Jedi were being really powerful except in episode 2 with the dual between Dooku(sp) and Yoda. All other times the Jedi were either just out of reach of danger but scraped through due to their split-second foresight or were against poorly prepared enemies caught by surprise.
    It was always telling that a Jedi would try subterfuge before a direct confrontation – even when at the height of their powers.

I’d actually be happy with being a smuggler akin to Solo if i couldn’t be a Jedi – but a game were all other classes were worthless because of the power of a Jedi would be boring. Even in Kotor 1(because i haven’t gotten very far through 2 due to all the crashing) it was easier to have three jedi in your party for fights than even having one ranged soldier or droid due to the buffs, healing and the fact that you forced the enemy into a hand-to-hand combat when you engaged.
    The Jedi Knight series made the weapons have poor accuracy in order to make it more fun to play as a Jedi and also the number of enemies you could repeatedly knock over made it easy and is why they had to introduce the ‘force resistant’ armour to the series to provide a true enemy you could be troubled by without having overwhelming numbers and the same goes for the new Force Unleashed game.

It’s just unfortunate that the series of films focused on the really, really super powerful (and super rare) force wielders like Anakin, Yoda, Dooku and Palpatine so that people think that all Jedi are really powerful…… but even then the films are inconsistant because less powerful Jedi such as Obi wan or Mace Windu seem more able to combat these more powerful force wielders than they really should.

33. Ian says:

Exunkly. We’d be playing as those two fucking useless bastards who Palpatine slaughters even though he’s got to leap across a room and draw his lightsabre while they already have theirs out.

34. Ginger Yellow says:

Feel embarrassed, gaming press. You’ve been scooped by the Star.

35. Sal says:

It will be Star Wars…well in some form. It will be something other then SOE and SWG. My guess, this goes closed beta by years end.

36. Tei says:

The World Don’t Need More MMORPG Games, The World Need A Good MMORPG Game.

37. teo says:

No one should ever have to grind in a game
    EVER! NO MORE

38. TooNu says:

If it is star wars galaxies, but more mainstream like WoW I think everybody will be lucky. Otherwise you are going to find it will become AoC esque with a niche market. Is Star Wars going to be that relevant years down the line as this game gets finished? Or is it going to be a game full of 30-50 year olds reliving their star wars days?

39. Tei says:

@TooNu: Yes, If Hollywood fail to create new franchises. And I think will fail.

40. Konky Dong 28: Terror at 10,000 Feet says:

It’s a Star Wars MMO. I need it. Now.

41. RC-1290'Dreadnought' says:

Number one Google hit when searching for ‘F*CK YOU EA!!!!!!!’: something about madden09…

on a different note:
    STAR WARS!!!!

42. Nick says:

“Is Star Wars going to be that relevant years down the line as this game gets finished?”

Its made it over 30 years so far, I highly doubt another 3-5 will make a difference.

43. Yep says:

@Duoae

but even then the films are inconsistant

No, George Lucas is inconsistent. If it weren’t for the various games there would be no consistency in the Star Wars universe.

44. Trooper6 says:

I’m excited about the prospect of an Bioware KotOR MMO. And I know everyone is concerned that everyone will want to play a Jedi. But I’m not that sure that will be true. I, for one, wouldn’t immediately want to be a Jedi. I’m more interested in playing a Smuggler/Rogue type. I imagine if the non-Jedi classes (if you can even start as a Jedi) are interesting, then there will be a demand for them. Also, it will be interesting to see what sort of group combat dynamics they come up with. If may not be possible to overcome group challenges without non-Jedi. You may need a technician or a Rascal or a solider or a smuggler or a scientist or who knows what. Also if there are really interesting single player plot lines that vary by class, I can imagine people wanting to experience the non-Jedi storylines, too.

At the moment, however, I just don’t think we have enough information on what sorts of mechanics the game will use to usefully be able to judge.

It is just too soon to know.

45. Baby Huey says:

Not sure why some peeps are upset over folks being jedi, especially when the title of the game is Knights of the the Old Republic, not Smugglers of the Old Republic, or Grunts of the Old Republic. With the prevalence of Jedi at this timeline, I predict many players to enroll in the Order of the Jedi, becoming the keepers of peace and order throughout the known space, with a centralized academy and headquarters, much like the Green Lantern Corps. Of course, other character types could be offered, but the main thrust of the Knights of the Old Republic is the Jedi.

46. Ahnalla says:

I for one, would be interested in “other” classes…if they are available. If not, I’ll quietly place the game back on the shelf.

47. sunrunner for life says:

Hopefully they intergrate some of the best qualities of SWG into this.

48. Mitchell says:

49. Tei says:

“I really think Bioware is going to defeat WoW. They have a great advantage for using Star Wars. I am really going to play the game !”

Star War Galaxies already use Star Wars. Seems is not a “midas” touch.

And the KOTOR gameplay is not magic either. Jade Empire is a very bad game, and was made using that pattern.