Spore: The First Expansion?

By Alec Meer on October 4th, 2008 at 10:19 am.

Via VG247, early word on what might be for the first add-on pack for the famously uncontroversial Spore. And it’s… Cute & Creepy Creature Parts Pack? Oh, man. That sounds worryingly superficial, though I guess it embiggens the element of the game that’s been most well-received. Still, there’s only so much creature-tinkering I can do before getting bored. New/expanded stages plzkthx.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Larington says:

What I think is interesting is that, everyone eats up new weapons and levels for certain shooters like candy and frequently demands but doesn’t get exactly that – Something which would probably sell really rather well (Something akin to the Opposing Force/Blue Shift, etc of HL1).

For instance, Call of Duty 4 expansion packs – New missions, new weapons, new storylines.

Meanwhile, a game like the sims or spore comes along and all the publisher seems to do is add new challenges/art/content/tools for month after month following the games release.

Odd isn’t it.

2. Greg Wild says:

I’m all for new parts, but really they should definitely come as part of a larger package. Unless they’re ridiculously cheap maybe.

3. Nimic says:

My biggest fear is that this will turn out like The Sims, where they keep churning out new and more useless parts (or if they aren’t useless, left them out of the original game on purpose).

4. Five says:

I reckon they’ll follow the Sims 2 order which is (generally) alternating between Expansion (inc. new gameplay element) and Stuff Pack (which is just extra pieces).

With so many different editors they could really milk this, adding a number of parts to different editors each time.

It won’t be worth it unless it’s a huge number of parts of if it’s really cheap.

5. Seniath says:

And so it begins…

6. Optimaximal says:

Odd isn’t it.

The former requires a large deal of development, QA etc. The latter can be farmed out by an intern in a day or two.

Also, the CoD4 ‘expansions’ were just map packs, nothing more.

7. cliffski says:

I don’t see how we can criticise people for releasing expansion packs. If nobody wanted them, they wouldn’t sell, and they would stop. The fact that expansion packs are often in the top 5 games each month shows that hundreds of thousands of people (at least) are happy to pay a few dollars to get more stuff for the game.

Fine with me. I’d hand over $20-30 right now if you could add some extra units to Company Of heroes.

8. Five says:

cliffski: or you could just download some user mods

9. Heliocentric says:

No one hates expansions. They are worried by the expansions being typical meaningless sims style stuff packs. If a company offers you more of a game you love thats fine. But this isn’t going to be more game. Just parts, probably parts planned prior to release. That said, expansions supports extended patching support on a title. Not a bad thing.

10. Diogo Ribeiro says:

@Heliocentric:

The same could be said of The Sims – meaningless stuff. Except it’s not meaningless for those who enjoy them. If it was, their line of expansion packs wouldn’t really be at top sales figures, like Cliffski points out.

11. stavrosthewonderchicken says:

Sims-model serial cash jerkoff. Guaran-goddamn-teed EA made them rip shit out of the game so they could charge more for the bits — bits that rightfully should have been in the 1.0 release — later in bogus ‘expansion packs’. And left the lame and boring skeleton of the game we got out of the gate, you know, that one that was supposed to change everything.

It’s a little McCain-Paliny, innit?

12. Diogo Ribeiro says:

Because we all knew just what the game content would be.

13. Brian says:

Vapid. Insufficient.

My wife and I sometimes enjoy the Stuff Packs for Sims but I’d never buy one for Spore. In the long run your parts are entirely meaningless.

14. Calabi says:

I just wish they would finish the game first. I’m stuck with a completely repeatable crash, the same as quite a lot of other people.

I think this will be the acid test for spore, how popular is it really, how many people are enjoying it so much they want more parts.

15. shon says:

I’ve bene playing Spore non-stop for the last week. When I run across other creations I am always amazed by how intricate someone else’s designs are. They wuld use three or four parts to make one single cool looking bit. I applaud them for their skills but man, I wouldn’t mind if Maxis released a pack that had a lot of those bits in easy to use one-pieces.

My bigger concern is that Sims 2 in my mind was broken by it’s expansions. Sim:Business broke my existing neighborhoods. Sim: Pets added some dynamics that changed how my romance couples played for the worse. They always said the expansions were optional but once you tried installing some of the expansions and leaving out others, the game became more unstable. I just hope they don’t go that road with Spore.

16. Jade says:

and this, not the drm, is why I didn’t bother buying the game. no point getting invested in crap any more. I got burned with guild wars and bf2 and WoW and god knows what else, and yes i know it’s not the same with single player shit but i refuse to dance when they play the music. i’ll buy the games that are obviously complete packages and avoid the rest.

“oooh oooh, but you’re missing out.”

boohoo.

17. RichPowers says:

If TF2 was run by EA, we’d be paying extra for payload maps, achievements, and class updates. But these “stuff” updates clearly sell very well, so power to you if you want to drop $20 for creature parts.

None of this should be surprising given EA’s position that Spore is a massive merchandising/expansion machine.

18. Mike says:

Spore : Firm ‘N Fruity to follow? Bold And Beefy?

19. Mark says:

Surely the ironic thing with Spore “Expansions” / “Stuff Packs” is that they will always be “unlocks” rather than seperate expansions, delivered via a patch and then unlocked with a code or use in the editor. Given that everyone will need the parts in order to have their game view others creations to avoid the almost unthinkable content silos. Not being a fan / user of The Sims, I can’t be sure, but my understanding would be that Spore differs from Sims in this regard in that in Sims you (currently) have to seek out and install new content as opposed to “it finding you” – lol, damn you roBurky and your insepid Smiley face ships incessantly pirating my homeworld! Crescendo is a pieceful empire of silent bomb based conquest!

20. Mark says:

for use* (slip)
    insipid* (bad)
    pieceful* (omfg)

Booo at uneditable comments. Boo I say!

21. Mark says:

The worst thing is, I could have got away with ‘pieceful’ as a gag if I’d have left it. That and I didn’t even correct it to ‘peaceful’ in the correction. What am I even doing awake at 2:04 am.. Stupid Goo balls.

22. Cataclysm says:

Maybe each Expansion will come with a new DRM!

“Get to experience 3 new ways we can stamp on our paying customers”

“Totally random generated crash to desktops! – You never know when your game will freeze!”

23. Draycen says:

Maybe they should work on fixing the existing problems preventing so many people playing the game, before working on f*cking expansions.

Not that I’m surprised. Just pissed off that the support for this has been and continues to be atrocious.

24. clovus says:

Mark, wow, you have really hit on something VERY interesting. If new parts start appearing in my game (if I actually played it, bleh), but I can’t use the parts myself without paying, I think my head will explode.

There was something similar on an XBOX/PS3 racing title. The game came with all the cars, but you had to pay to unlock some of them.

Oh, Spore has a similar thing there. The game apparently came with the code for the Plant and Planet editors but you can’t access them currently. Again, my head will explode if they require an expansion to unlock them.

I don’t pirate games, but if they give me all the code for new parts and editors on the DVD or in a free patch I will use that code, even if it requires getting some aid from a nice cracker.