We’ve Been Expecting You, Mr Bond…

By Kieron Gillen on October 6th, 2008 at 11:37 pm.

Yeah, this is an amazing shot to release as a press image. This looks like the sort of brilliant game everyone would love to play.
To release a demo. Well, we weren’t, but it’s a nice surprise to wander in to discover that Treyarch have released a just-shy of 700Mb demo of their new Call of Duty 4-engine Quantum of Solace electronicshootygame. You can get it from here, via what we call a hyperlink. Having not actually played the demo, I can only go on the press notes – of which, only the fact it includes the voice of Dame Judy Dench sticks out (An Official RPS Inappropriate Lust Object, for the record (Are you Sure? -Ed)). Frankly, I’m not likely to actually download it to play either – I share Alec’s initial luke-to-cold response to what I’ve seen. Has anyone played it? Should I overcome my prejudices? Should the Lion lay down with the lamb? TELL ME.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , .

1. The Poisoned Sponge says:

Trust you to pick the most utterly unflattering picture of the lovely Dame Dench possible.

2. eyemessiah says:

Outlook not so good.

3. RiptoR says:

I’m waiting for a comment from someone who has actually played before downloading it myself.

4. mandrill says:

Its a game of a movie, it is also a game of a bond movie. There has only ever been one decent game of a bond movie and that was goldeneye on the n64, there will never be another. Ignore this, it will be rubbish.

5. Ging says:

I’m downloading it atm, I fear it’ll be tripe, but well, nothing ventured and all that.

6. Frools says:

Took me exactly 3mins and 30s to complete this demo
    It wasnt very good either :P

7. RiptoR says:

So it’s 700mb of wasted bandwidth? I’ll skip it then.

Who knows, maybe I’ll get to review it later on.

8. Ging says:

I think it was less than 3 minutes 30… What rubbish that was… QTEs (though done quite nicely with the mouse in mind) and a poorly thought out linear bit of level with a guy who’s running away that you see often yet for some reason cannot kill (that irritates me, deeply – if I can see him and he turns my crosshairs red when I’m aiming at him, I should be able to take him down…)

Avoid, don’t waste the time to download it, let alone sit through the unskippable dev / publisher / licensee / coke adverts at the start.

9. Anonymous says:

Of all the pics you couldn’t have picked this

10. Po0py says:

Not a good demo. It was way to short and most of my time was spent running through a tunnel. Controls were a little finnicky. GearsPC handled the cover system much better than this. Anyone else find it hard to get into crouch mode to get through the low tunnel bits? Enemy AI were too easy to kill but to hard to hit properly as they kept ducking and making you wait with your gun in aim mode. They could have moved around a bit and given me a bit of a challenge.

Why should I want to buy this game after playing this demo? It’s not the worst demo ever released but if they want to seriously compete with all the other shooters this Christmas then release a better and longer demo and if you can’t do that then don’t release one at all.

11. marmite says:

It’s like Call of Duty 4 with a cover system and stealth take downs done with QTEs. I quite liked it.

12. Saflo says:

Ever since Hitman: Blood Money I don’t feel as though I can trust a demo again.

13. Real Horrorshow says:

It’s absolutely terrible.

14. Andrew says:

I decided to try this out in lieu of anything better to do.

Installed, and was frustrated by a missing DirectX .dll because I’d said ‘no, don’t install DirectX 9.0c, I have it already’. But because I wasn’t using their specific version of 9.0c, it didn’t work. At least I think that’s what it was. I can’t be arsed now. :P

15. IvanHoeHo says:

Like most others had said: not a particularly inspiring demo.

Besides from the criminally short play time and mandatory ads, the overall control interface is not well thought out and the environment is beyond bland.

the only good thing I can say about it is that it’s cover system is smoother than R6: Vegas, the last game I played with such a system.

16. Klaus says:

Well I like the ‘Mexican standoff’ picture. In any case I’m still ‘playing’ the demo of Dynasty Warriors 6, which took forever to learn the controls of.

A 5-min, 700 mb demo??

17. spd from Russia says:

what …”QuickTimeEvents”? In a shooter? On a PC? In 2008??? You must be joking

18. Crane says:

Hey, Yahtzee Crowshaw’s ranting aside, there’s nothing inherently bad about QTEs. It’s just that games tend to implement them in really crap ways, such as setting them up with really clumsy controls, then dropping them on you with no warning in the middle of a cutscene. If they’re a core part of the gameplay, rather than something they throw at you totally at random, I have no objections.

19. The Hammer says:

That all being said, Dame Judi Dench is hot.

20. spd from Russia says:

there’s nothing inherently bad about QTEs

yes there is. “press some random buttons” is a bullshit gameplay idea. you`r right, there should be consistency and that means consistent controls scheme, consistensy in the actions you can perform

21. Jonathan says:

Reply to spd from Russia
    I got a magic zombie and an old woman whose a robot from the future in disguise who would disagree with that. The real problem that Farenhieght had was appaling design in the flash back base section.

22. mister slim says:

Yes, badly designed OTEs are inherently bad. Take a look at games that are competently designed, for example God of War. It’s the same control mapping, there’s just different animations and failure conditions.

23. roryok says:

Ok, here’s a question that ought to spark some discussion:

Why are movie tie-in games almost always rubbish?

I know there are a few exceptions – BladeRunner was excellent, but it did come out about 20 years after the film. Likewise Goldeneye was 2 years behind the film – but time can’t be the only factor here, can it?

24. Möller says:

I was quite pleasantly surprise by this demo despite it being a movie based game and a console port. It was fun to play and the keyboard and mouse controls work fine. It was very short so I don’t know if its worth downloading if you got a slow connection.

25. roryok says:

BladeRunner was excellent, but it did come out about 20 years after the film

And by 20 I mean 15.

26. phuzz says:

Any demo that takes me longer to download and install gets a great big FAIL.
    That said, the graphics are pretty, guns feel just about weighty enough and if the plot is half decent it could be worthwhile. I’m hoping that the slightly clichéd setting (collapsing underground chamber) is just because it was all they had ready to put out as a demo (and it shows off some of the physics effects nicely), because inevitably this demo is part of the hype machine for the film.
    Installer gains poits for letting me customise install path, but looses for the black background window that obscures the task bar. This isn’t windows 95 any more guys, just stick with the installer window thanks.

27. Kadayi says:

Guess I’ll skip that then

28. Kadayi says:

“Why are movie tie-in games almost always rubbish?”

I think the differential with the 2 you site is the fact that they were made afterwards and weren’t direct marketing tie-ins like most film games are. With a game that needs to ensure it hits release when a film does it almost goes without saying that innovation goes out the window along with anything else that might hinder it from making it’s deadline.

29. aldo says:

Yes, badly designed OTEs are inherently bad.

Surely badly designed anythings are inherently bad?

30. mandrill says:

games of movies are always rubbish because they are simply there to cash in on the movie. The publisher’s don’t care if its crap as long as it sells (and they do more often than not), the developers don’t caer if its cap as its not their IP and it pays the bills, The sheep who buy it tend not to care if its crap because they’ve got a game based on the movie du jour and can pretend to be their current hero, also they can trade it in for money off the next hot movie tie in when it comes around 10 minutes later.

I avoid them like the plague, unless they look like they’re going to do something interesting with the IP, which is very very rarely and usually not tied to a movie release, a la bladerunner and Goldeneye.

31. roryok says:

but every second preview you read of a big name movie tie-in has the lead designers saying “We’re trying to do something really different”. Are the ALL lying? In the history of movie tie-ins, someone, SOMEWHERE along the line must have thought, ‘lets try and make a really great game out of this’.

It just seems odd that no-one ever succeeds

I think the problem arises from movie and games being too dissimilar. Games of movies often lose the story and try and put the player into the shoes of the hero in the action sequences, but then must artificially tie them to only doing what happened in the movie. Likewise, it seems movies of games are equally rubbish because they lack the key element that makes a game good – gameplay. It doesn’t matter if doom the movie looks very similar to the game, and features FPS camera. The game had no plot AT ALL. it was just you shooting things, forever.

And yet, there still are a handful of games that have taken their source material and turned it into something brilliant, something addictive and fun. So if it can be done, why is it so bloody rare?

32. Lacobus says:

I’ve played it, and my expert (useless) opinion is that is a bit bland. Not as bad as Haze or anything like that, just nothing special at all. I hope this is because all the talent at Treyarch were working on CoD5, or because the thing is more than likely being rushed out. But you never know, it could be just that Treyarch are as shit as lots of people say they are.

33. James Brophy says:

Did I play it wrong or did the demo only last for 3 minuets? I played it twice just to make sure. I was being attacked by the same 3 guys again and again while firing at an indistructable man. I don’t mind the indistructable man as much as I mind the lack of context and identakit bad guys. It’s just about the shortest demo ever made. Why would they release that?

34. OldmanTick says:

35. roryok says:

oh yeah! forgot about the thing. That was brilliant. But AGAIN, it was a game that came 20 years (actually 20 this time I promise) after the film.

I guess taking older movies and making them into games works better. I wonder what other games we could make from classic films.

Apocalypse Now anyone?

36. Reddy says:

QOS demo verdict: looks ugly, very scripted in a bad way, nonexistant AI, mediocre level design, shooting part of the game is very unsatisfying, it has a HUGE crosshair, movement and generally the gameplay feels awkward for some reason, and finally the worst thing: it’s just not fun.
    And I was actually really looking forward to this game, trying to overlook who made the game.

37. Eli Just says:

Ran terribly on my PC, and I play CoD 4 with high settings. WTF?

38. PHeMoX says:

Terrible non-game! It suffers from all the classic movie-to-game mistakes ever made. Bad level design, ridiculous gameplay limitations, weak graphics, too casual; not challenging, it even has a fair share of control and performance issues…. despite the “great” engine.

I’d say it’s a typical Treyarch game as well. Meaning, not good.

39. PHeMoX says:

“One of the best games from a movie was the Thing. The whole trust/fear mechanism was awesome. Watching one of your NPCs blow his head off or piss himself because he was too afraid and didn’t trust you was shocking the first time it happened.”

Totally agreed. It’s up there, together with Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcherbay as the best movie-to-game products ever made.

Comment on this story