Thanks: The Positive Internet Company

By RPS on October 7th, 2008 at 6:51 pm.

They're good.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun has been something of an experiment for the writerly quartet of Gillen, Meer, Rossignol and Walker. Frankly, we hadn’t expected it to be quite this busy or exciting, so we hadn’t taken any time at all to think about the vastly complicated business of hosting a thriving website on the modern internet. Fortunately we haven’t had to, thanks to the expertise and service provided by Positive Internet. Without them this website literally wouldn’t have been possible. We therefore resoundingly endorse their peerless web-hosting services. They are a force for excellence.

Thanks, Positive.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Ian says:

Hurragh for the Positive Internet Company!

2. Meat Circus says:

Positive Internet is staffed entirely by malign summoned beings of the twisted void, that work twenty four hours a day for no money, because they are bound by dark magic to their master’s will.

Well, it was when I worked there.

Cheers, Posi Redshirts. Cheers Nick, Jake, Tom. The Internet would be a bit more shit without RPS. You have saved us from that fate.

3. nabeel says:

Thanks Positive Internet Company!

nabeel

4. Steelfist says:

Whose kitten have they kidnapped?

5. YogSo says:

I, for one, welcome our new Positive Internet overlords.

6. LEEDER KRENON says:

hacked!

7. Smurfy says:

What a bunch of heroes.

8. Colthor says:

So, did somebody go over their bandwidth quota this month and decide on the “payment in kind” option rather than the broken kneecaps? ¬_¬

But really? Aww, they have a giraffe as their logo. They must be nice people. Also they host RPS, and it doesn’t break much at all.

9. John Walker says:

We went over our bandwidth quota about a year ago, and kept on climbing. Posi have been awesome to us. We <3 them.

10. Pod says:

Proof (if proof be needed) that giraffes are BESTEST.

11. Noc says:

D’awwwwwwwww.

12. dartt says:

Thank you The Positive Internet Company, keep being wicked cool.

Internet is not always Serious Business.

13. The Poisoned Sponge says:

Thanks Positive Internet! You now host my (previously) favourite podcast, Ricky Gervais, and now RPS! I wub you!

14. Bema says:

Did they write that…?

15. frymaster says:

“We went over our bandwidth quota about a year ago”

To be fair, their bandwidth quotas are quite small :P

Never heard anything bad about these people ever. I’m also never going to use them, ever :( (I prefer good-but-not-ultra-extreme service, without ultra-extreme prices too, but then again I also don’t need very high uptime and/or a provider that doesn’t throw you to the wolves at the first spurious DMCA notice)

16. Gap Gen says:

Hang on. If the internet is made of electrons flying around, then most of the internet is negative…

So this is the anti-internet!

17. Thiefsie says:

2d boy should use positive internet

18. Pijama says:

HURRAY for them. :D

19. itsallcrap says:

I remember Ricky Gervais raving about them hosting his download-record-breaking podcast.

Seriously, though – did they give you any money to say this? :P

20. Ben Abraham says:

Question: I assume disabling adblock for Firefox on all RPS pages would help you guys too, right? I’ve done it, because I believe in Doing My Part for the good ship RPS! Huzzah!

21. Trousers says:

I vote PIC the most important Tube of all our internets.

22. grumpy says:

I was just thinking something related. I don’t use an ad blocker (for pretty much the reasons you mentioned, but applied to every website – if I visit the site, they deserve the ad income, and if their ads are too annoying, I just won’t visit the site at all), but I do have a flash blocker, and not even RPS can make me disable that. Flash ads are just too obnoxious sometimes. (At least non-flash ads can’t play sounds at you)
    So word of advice, RPS dudes. Try to avoid flash ads like the Voipox and Puzzle Pirates ones you’ve got now (Yeah, I had to temporarily allow those, just so I could see what they were)

I don’t know if I’m the only one who blocks flash, but I doubt it. And it’s a bit of a shame that you lose ad income because of that.

23. Konky Dong 29: Mid-Afternoon of a Thousand Lesbian Zombies says:

Sounds like a great host for the site I plan to launch soon, a site which will steal your audience and crush RPS into a million bloody chunks. Thanks for the tip!

24. milko says:

ooh, the positive internet company. They’ve got a sign on my local train station for some reason, I’ve been meaning to check out if they’re local for aaages, but always forget 30s later. They are!

25. Down Rodeo says:

PIC support the FSF. They also appear to be all-round very cool people.

26. Gap Gen says:

That said, a lot of people support free software for commercial reasons. Google fund Firefox so that more people look at Google adverts, while hardware companies sometimes fund Linux development so that more people buy Linux servers and computing clusters.

27. RC-1290'Dreadnought' says:

Cheers!

28. Johnathon says:

itsallcrap: Nope

milko: If that is West Ealing we really are based close to the station (though all the servers are somewhere else, nice and secure, with a large ‘tube’ to the interweb thingymaboby…)

(I’m a tech support guy at PI :), who just happens to like reading RPS…)

Comment on this story