GalCiv2: War Is Over If You Want (To Read) It

By Kieron Gillen on October 8th, 2008 at 1:03 pm.

And you really do. We’ve talked about PCG’s Tom Francis’ new Gal-Civ-2 game-diary in passing before, but since it’s now concluded, it definitely deserves another link. His idea was to try and conquer through peaceful methods alone the largest size of GalCiv map. Forty hours or so later, things have changed. Peace Through Tyranny is still peace, right? My personal highlight is the ludicrously devious method to create the fastest moving spaceship known to any alien species. Highly recommended.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Chris Evans says:

Isn’t Tom’s diary nominated for some award or something? If so it deserves to win :D

Great piece of writing, I really enjoyed the whole thing. Damn it why does killing billions sound so fun :D

2. Kieron Gillen says:

Tom’s nominated for a GMA, which is a brit games media award. It’s for best magazine writer, basically, but I dare says included how good the first diary was.

KG

3. MisterBritish says:

That Gillen is a Spy?

You should read this excellence, then vote for him at the Games Media Awards:

4. Draycen says:

Ah brilliant. I had a look for this after it got mentioned on the podcast but failed miserably.

Great stuff and I’m keeping my fingers crossed for the GMA Tom.

Cheers
    Draycen

5. Fede says:

Simply awesome. Both this and the old one.

6. Nallen says:

fastest moving?

7. Dizet Sma says:

His ‘fastest moving ship’ jumped 600 trillion kilometers in one second due to a legal exploit in the game.

It was a good read and I’m enjoying the biscuit I earned by getting the GCU / ROU references!

8. Lukasz says:

I am reading it now.
    just finished day 9.
    “So no, you can’t have Solidarity.” I laughed my ass off.

9. Ragnar says:

I love those diaries. Why there aren’t more of that sort of thing is beyond my understanding.

10. Aldaris says:

Damn, at this rate we’ll have to wait for galciv 3 before he does the next one, and that won’t be before 2010 at the very least D:

11. Kua says:

Looking forward to when I can give this a good read this evening. Someone wrote a really brilliant blog for EvE-Online, I think he was basically trying to take over 0.0 in his rookie ship. I can’t find it for the life of me :( .

12. MonkeyMonster says:

Awesome writing skills – up there with living in oblivion lad for sheer entertainment and ability to make you use over an hour of office time reading a blog in plain site :)
    Screw timelines, that was more than worth it! So very tempted to purchase the game now.

13. M_the_C says:

I received the printed book with my PC Gamer subscription, the original and this are some of the best pieces about gaming that I have ever read.

Please don’t hit me.

14. Noc says:

All I could think about after reading this is: “We are at war with the Terrans. We have always been at war with the Terrans.”

15. The Sombrero Kid says:

that was epicly awesome!

16. Ginger Yellow says:

I was sad Tom couldn’t achieve his goal in the way he intended, but it was a valiant (and hilarious, of course) effort. I wish I had his strategic imagination when it came to GalCiv.

17. Matthew Gallant says:

Reading his diaries always leaves me with a strong urge to boot up GalCiv2, but my experience never quite matches his excellent narration.
    …I probably just need to get better at the game :P

18. Ben Hazell says:

I have the book copy of the diary that came free from PC Gamer. Think he might sign it?

19. BabelFish says:

Ehehehe, I liked the GCU WTFIIYF (WHERE THE [FREAK] IS IT YOU [FREAKS]?)

20. Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

If you’ve ever wondered why space sometimes has the occasional starless “dark patch,” now you know.

21. tikey says:

I can’t believe how much I laughed with that article. Simply amazing.

22. Hmm-hmm. says:

A delight to read.

23. Jon says:

I read the first couple of days of the online version and liked it so much I went and spent some of my hard earned cash on the mag [a tough descion between 2 drinks and merryment, it's a tough life being a student] and I was a little disappointed. I was sold the dream that he’d take over the galaxy by culture hugging people to death and instead he went and blew up suns. Still a great read but not the story I wanted to read after reading the first few days, I wanted to hear the story of how he slowly but surely broke everyone’s will and sold them rubbish tv show after rubbish tv show.

24. Nallen says:

Playing GalCiv is nothing like reading that, it is however a bit like taking crack. Only more destructive.