Multiwinia UK Release

By Jim Rossignol on October 9th, 2008 at 9:11 am.

UK indie development heroes Introversion have dropped us a line to say that the boxed version of Multiwinia hits UK stores on Friday. Not that I care, I already have my copy of this effortlessly charming abstract RTS warfare game. I wish there was a demo Use this demo to convince yourself of its retro-beauty and simple efficiency. All I can do is point to Kieron’s extended happy ramblings and say that this is, quietly, one of the best RTS games this year.

Have you bought it yet? If not why not then you are dead to me. Come on RPS community, let’s get some games going over the weekend.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. roryok says:

right, I’m finally going to have a read on what all this multiwinia stuff is about. I’ve seen screenshots for this game on all sorts of general gaming articles going back almost a year. Haven’t played an RTS since Warcraft 2 but what the hell.

2. dishwasherlove says:

There was a demo on Steam. Its sitting on my hot little hard drive.

3. dishwasherlove says:

Bring back edit you hacks!

4. roryok says:

yeah! what’s with the no editing?

5. Jim Rossignol says:

The editing feature is unwell at the moment. He’ll be back on duty as soon as we’ve dosed him with the appropriate fix.

6. ChaosSmurf says:

This game is brilliant and I wish I had the money/ability to purchase it. You all need to buy it.

Right now.

Why are you still reading this when you could be buying multiwinia?

Fede says:

The one on steam is the only demo available?

8. Saflo says:

It is strange, charming, a little depressing, and very fun. It also makes you okay with losing, since you get to enter “retribution” mode and rain havoc on the remaining players. Incredibly satisfying stuff.

There are, unfortunately, only a few servers up at any given moment. I hope that changes soon.

9. Grill / Griddleoctopus says:

Pedant’s Corner: Shurely it’s a RTT rather than an RTS?

10. Heliocentric says:

You are managing the manufacture on one level.

Whats the distinction really.

11. Sp4rkR4t says:

Simply the best game I have played since Portal, wish they would hurry up with the patches though as the online system needs a bit of a rework.

12. Flappybat says:

I wasn’t sure about getting it originally but I really enjoy the game. The abstraction of control and randomness makes it way more enjoyable than most RTS games, you can have fun when losing.

Saying that it was perhaps released a bit early. Assault is totally unbalanced, some of the powerups are far too effective and the lack of a lobby system hampers it a bit.

13. Yak Jazz says:

I can’t help but feel it’s lost all of the character which Darwinia was brimming to life with. I’ll give this one a miss.

14. Supersheep says:

It’s still a bit unbalanced at the moment – see the IV forum discussions on those bloody Ants powerups – but it’s enormous fun. Games tend to be quick, brutal and hilariously bloody (well, pixel-y). There’s still a few weird bugs with Multiwinian behavior that are annoying the crap out of me (random grenade throwing, inability to destroy Ants, etc), but it’s IV so they’ll fix it eventually.

I’m quite surprised how well the engine copes with thousands of Multiwinians, whereas the same mass of little guys on Darwinia would bring my beige box creaking to a halt.

15. ChaosSmurf says:

For those Linux fans out there, I made a little enquiry (originally for a friend of mine but you guys might want to know too) about how well Multiwinia runs.

(From #multiwinia on irc.uplinkcorp.net)
    I find that it works wonderfully in wine and there’ll be a native linux release in the not-too-distant future.

I’m pretty happy about this, even though I’m not a linux user. On that note, anyone tried running it on an EeePC?

16. Bas says:

The connection problems are terrible. There’s lots of people that can’t connect to 9/10 games.

17. Flappybat says:

People need to forward their ports. I couldn’t join 9/10 until I forwarded and now it’s very rare that I find one I can’t join.

18. Heliocentric says:

Yunno, I tried to like this i really did. I loved darwinia, where the weak unit management and simple combat could be driven by story and trigger points.

Here i find myself wanting to be able to use high ground and cover (yes in this high ground is cover i know) in ways which are meaningful, the ai ground me into a pulp by out microing me, within 30 seconds it had twice my population and.. I see I am complaining about the AI in a mainly multiplayer game. But entropy is not depth, the game throws a random powerup to a player in a way you cant predict to. Eh… Did the demo have any multiplayer? I need to play this against a person before buying.

19. Sam says:

@ChaosSmurf:

2 comments about linux support – firstly, most people find it works perfectly in Wine, but there’s a couple of people (myself included) who find it crashes before it starts up. This might be an issue with our graphics drivers, or using PulseAudio for sound.
    Secondly, Multiwinia appears to be CPU-limited on levels where Ants are present, so I’d imagine it would be almost unplayable on an Eee in that circumstance. But, I’ve not tried it yet on my Eee, so I’ll get back to you if I do.

20. ChaosSmurf says:

@Sam

I asked some guys in the channel after that and apparently it runs horribly on an Eee. It does _run_ but … yeah, try it and see :P The words “smoking wreck” were used though.

Don’t wanna sound like a walking advert-mobile but if you’re having any problems with it in Wine, some people in there would probably be glad to help :) Don’t ask me though, I’ve seen Linux being used maybe once :P

21. Mort says:

I bought the Collectors Ed. (Bent tin and all). But oddly by time it arrived I had grown bored with Multiwinia, it needs work, no lobby is just a missed opportunity to capitalise on a great community, though I guess it’ll be added. And I had annoying connection trouble. Yes granted, you can forward ports, but why should I have to? I don’t for anything else.
    I loved Darwinia, one of the best games I’ve completed, but I’m distinctly nonplussed by Multiwinia.

There’s also no rankings or recording of any stats at all.

22. Seraphim2150 says:

Won my copy of the collectors off the Facebook group competition. Looking forward to receiving it

23. Noc says:

I’ve screwed around with the demo, but I had some issues with the controls. It’s little things; the fact that the screen rotates with your cursor a little bit, but not enough to make it proper mouselook, and the fact that you can’t click+drag select . . . they’re little things, but they make controlling things much harder than it needs to be.

Does the full game have options for this stuff? Does the demo have options for this stuff that I’m just missing?

. . .

Also, Heliocentric, try and think of it less as an army sim a la Total War, and more like a board game. You’ve got a steady stream of soldiers popping in; the game isn’t about taking the high ground and flanking the enemy, because destroying the enemy soldiers isn’t good for anything. It’s about making the strategic decisions, and deciding how you want to prioritize where the reinforcements you get go.

Also, you can set up officers to direct Darwinians along paths, which helps with the micromanagement. If you’ve got a battlefront you want people from your spawnpoint to charge towards, you can set up an officer at the spawn and have him direct any Darwinians who pop out to hurry to the front. And the game’s about those kinds of decisions.

The reason the control scheme bothered me is that the OTHER half of the game is about finding, securing, and using the crate drops. Which is where the controls kept getting in my way, because I wanted to dispatch squads to go do that quickly and get back to monitoring the fight, but had to do a lot of fumbling around in the process. Also, no hotkeys (that I’ve found?) means that it’s also less easy to keep tabs on multiple locations.

24. radiation jones says:

Grill – there isn’t much in the way of tactics to it, generally it’s just “largest squad wins”. It’d say it’s a strategy+luck game rather than a strategy+tactics like most RTS games.

25. MarvintheParanoidAndroid says:

Also, @Mort:
    Ranking and stats systems are likely to be added by modders in the community; if you look at the forums you’ll see that people are working on a dedicated server, to be integrated with a ladder system.

And things like lobby chat and various other missing features have been listed by the developers as being planned for future patches, hurrah!

26. MarvintheParanoidAndroid says:

@Noc:
    Nope, there’s no hotkeys or click+drag selection, although personally I quite like it how it is – very streamlined and simple. I suppose the click-and-hold to bring up a selection circle method will be a good way of doing it in terms of the XBLA version too. Setting up hotkeyed groups would be fairly pointless anyway because of how quickly everything dies. The mouselook works okay for me for moving quickly back and forth, although I would definitely rather that the default scroll speed was faster.

27. phuzz says:

Played the demo once, kinda liked it, not that bothered though. Played ti the other day on higher difficulty and enjoyed it a lot more, and I know I publicly promised to buy it once I got paid, but Introversion, you have no idea how skint I am, it’ll be the first game I buy when I have cash though…
    Now off to spam all my mates about the demo…

28. The Unshaven says:

I grabbed Multiwinia on principle because the Introversion guys do good work. I initially thought it was going to be gimicky, but have found myself playing it a great deal.

Weird thing?

I’ve yet to even attempt it against another human. I’ve just been getting the hang of the Domination maps against varying strengths of AI.

‘Leap of Faith’ is a great map, and lends itself to a visual Wow that has nothing to do with a shift in gameplay – it just looks brilliant.

– The Unshaven.

29. Tei says:

The game browser is somewhat crappy. But the game is good.

30. Fat Zombie says:

Eh. I played it, I didn’t enjoy it that much. But that’s probably more down to me than the game. I don’t like RTS titles much (except World in Conflict, because that is awesome), as I’m not very good at them. Which is a pity, but oh well.

Also, I imagine that the reason that very few people tried the demo was after people starting saying that it had no actual multiplayer content, just tutorials. That would suck arse in a demo, and luckily for them there’s actually a bit more than that.

But I do hope Introversion last a while longer, at least until they crank out this Subversion thingy.

31. Krupo says:

On sale this weekend on Steam, packaged with Darwinia for 9.99 Yankee-bucks.

I think I’ll get it now. :)