Put On Your Judging Wig: IF 2008 Is Running

By John Walker on October 9th, 2008 at 1:30 pm.

The 14th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition is well under way, with simple downloads to get you all the games and all the interpreters you’ll need, in two easy bundles, as well as on bittorrent.

There’s 35 games in the finals, and once you’ve signed up you can contribute to judging them. So go take a look, and let us know your impressions. Cheers to Erlend for reminding us about this.

, .

1. Ergates says:

Hurrah! I’ve never actually got to the IF awards in time to vote…

2. Bobsy says:

Mmmm, fresh gnocchi.

3. Premium User Badge Dolphan says:

I always mean to do these, then realise they can be hard. I may have a look.

4. Fazer says:

I know it’s out of topic, but you have to see this – Fallout 3 for Xbox 360 has been already pirated – http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45491

OH THE IRONY

5. Noc says:

Did someone say something? I’d swear I heard someone say something

6. Ergates says:

You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building. Around you is a forest. A small stream flows out of the building and down a gully

> enter building
    That’s not something you can enter.

> examine building
    It’s a small brick building. It seems to be a well house.

> enter
    You are inside a building, a well house for a large spring.

There is some food here.
    there is a shiny brass lamp here.
    there is an empty bottle here.
    there is a computer here.

> get lamp
    Taken

> examine lamp
    It is a shiny brass lamp. It is not currently lit.

>get computer
    That’s hardly portable

> examine computer
    It’s just a normal computer. Inside the computer you see:
    Some Interactive Fiction.

> examine IF
    The IF is the 14th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition

> use IF
    I only understood you as far as wanting to use.

> play IF
    You play the IF.
    Time passes….
    Time passes….
    Time passes….
    You finishing playing the IF.

> judge IF
    You pass judgement on the IF.

> kill IF with sword
    Violence isn’t the answer to this one

> xyzzy
    Nothing happens

7. Bhazor says:

Oh noes!
    Grues!

8. sigma83 says:

NMA is the fallout forum that hates fallout 3 on principle right?

I posted this comment in the wrong thread by accident, sorry for multiposting this.

9. The Shed says:

@Ergates: Good. You should totally develop that IF. I mean, I’d play it.

10. inle says:

Here’s how a typical IF Comp judge would write up your game, Ergates:

-Poorly implemented
    -Bad writing (or, to be precise, nonexistent writing)
    -Boring and unimaginative, even for a Zork parody
    -Seems to have last played IF in the ’80′s

Conclusion: Clearly, this guy just decided to make a game to troll the community, started coding it, and then just gave up halfway through. Too bad, there are flashes of humor beneath the condescension. Well, maybe his experience will help him realize we’re a little past “Zork” by now.

Score: 1 (out of 10)

11. Ergates says:

Actually, it’s Colossal Cave Adventure, and you missed off the charge of plagarism. And aparently didn’t read my first comment either….

12. Little Green Man says:

yeah I got that Colossal Cave reference from when I played it a few months back. Confusing stuff.

13. inle says:

You’re right, I didn’t ascribe your first comment to you. As such, I ddn’t expect you to even know about CCA. My apologies for misinterpreting you. I’m perhaps too touchy about the constant condescension RPS commenters (and even the RPS guys) about a game community (and indie games in general) that, paradoxically, stands for everything this blog champions.

14. Macready says:

Crawfish allergic to boiling water? lol. They really are and they have to so I can enjoy eating them.