Will He Be King? New Prince Of Persia Footage

By John Walker on October 9th, 2008 at 12:52 pm.

I'm loving the set design.

Right, so that Mirror’s Edge trailer was three weeks old, despite being posted as new by evil sites who I will now destroy, so it’s gone. HAPPY? Good. So instead, below is some new footage (and by God it had better be new) of Prince of Persia. (Surely the next game should be called Prince Of Iran?)

The first video is a super-emo (but nicely put together trailer) showing off the pretties. The second is in-game footage. And it’s the second one that concerns me slightly. I’m not seeing the Prince do anything new, beyond the sidekick game device. It seems more of a variation of the last three PoP games, rather than the stellar leap forward Sands of Time represented. Hopefully they’re saving the big surprises for nearer December’s release.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. dubble says:

The second trailer was pretty poor. Lots of repetition :(

2. MonkeyMonster says:

I’m loving the graphic style though – good mix of wind waker and original persia – lots more colour which is nice break from the sand soup, sand pate, sand sandwich and a side plate of sand of last 2.

3. Quinns says:

Not featured in either trailer: the Prince’s un-fucking-believable all-American valley boy accent. It’s agony every time he opens his mouth.

4. Wurzel says:

Looks interesting enough, and at least it’s not another Warrior Within :)

5. Wurzel says:

Edit: just read Quinn’s comment. Oh dear.

6. Colthor says:

Hmm, that brown thing looks like a pain-in-the-arse Warrior Within-style boss fight.

7. Radiant says:

oh dear indeed.
    Well to be fair the sand of time prince was a bit of a wanker.
    What’s the story with the bird?

8. Radiant says:

edit! “sands of time”

9. StalinsGhost says:

Meh, still not impressed with the stylistic changes. Doesn’t strike me as being Persian/Iranian at all.

10. AndrewC says:

So if shovelware is the neologism for rushed out crud produced with no care, what is the word for this sort of boiler-plate, steady-as-she-goes, brand-continuance iteration sort of a game?

11. Tom says:

The more I see of this of this game the more I think I’m really gonna enjoy it. Love the environments. Looks like the kinda game you could really admire. Hopefully the combat’s as slick as it looks but without the use of QTE’s! I want skill not simple button presses.

12. Duoae says:

I’ve said it before and i’ll say it again here: Erika (the girl) looks like a ‘win button’….. i wonder how automated her actions are because it makes the game look boring if all that jumping from the orange spheres is automated from the initial jump point.

Still going to buy it – hopefully it’ll have enough of the spirit from The Sands of Time to make it worthwhile. My gut tells me that it’ll be equivalent to Assassin’s Creed in rating and scores.

13. Radiant says:

@stalins ghost I think that’s indicative of the industry as a whole.
    Outside of the Valves and the indies, stylistically, games have become increasingly m.o.r.
    It’s like they have a pre approved list:
    “We need to be stylistic different!”
    1) Cellshading
    2) Emo
    3) Beefcakes
    4) MORE COLOURS!

Don’t get me started on how blandly generic bad guys look now a days [Gears of War's shapeless detail-less burns victims a prime example].

14. Lu-Tze says:

Personally I think the sidekick really breaks the whole run jump climb aspect of the game. Sonic Bounce Pads aside, the girl seems almost magical in her ability to fling you through the air. Sands of Time felt like you were doing impossibly athletic feats, this shows that not only can someone else do it better than you, but they help you along with magic rather than the sweat of your brow.

15. kyrieee says:

I hate seeing people making totally unrealistic super fast movements (like moving 5 m forward in an instant. It looks so bad)

16. karthik says:

Reminds me of the combat in Devil May Cry more than it does any previous PoP.

17. Ophois says:

There is a hands on article on one of the other game sites who’s name I will not sully this master-work with (can’t find the link), but it basically said that the 4 face buttons are bound to sword, gauntlet, acrobatics and Elika (that’s her name isn’t it?). That makes her effectively one of the players moves rather than an AI interruption at certain points. If you want to use her in combat or to do a double jump in the platform sections then you have to call her in. This alleviates some of my concerns about the character, knowing that she is just another game play mechanic at my control rather than something that will impose itself on me is good.

The combat is apparently a free form flowing combo system based on those 4 buttons doing actions. You press the next button as one move finishes rather than rattling off a quick AABA+quarter_right_circle sort of combo. If it works and is easy to control then it could help the cinematic feel of the combat, if it doesn’t work it will just be a pain.

The art style is very pretty. My only real concern is what seems to be a lack of continuity with the previous games. I’m not expecting a continuation of those stories but this looks like a completely new IP to me. I just wonder if they’ve slapped the name on it to boost recognition and sales.

18. Meat Circus says:

But… John!

What’s this? No death in Prince of Persia? And I thought you wanted No Death In Games?

Why can’t you be happy?

19. Koopa says:

The girl seems way too powerful, makes the prince feel like a unnecessary burden rather than a helpfull addition to the tag team.

The magical teleport-style jumping between the red dots looks awful. Then again, so does most of the things she “lends a hand” with (e.g. jumping long distances, which looks like double-jumping which has been lame in almost every game ever released). I did like the combat scene though, where she pounces off the prince’s back to make his strike harder, looked kinda cool. Or maybe it was the atmospheric soundtrack that made it seem like an epic struggle against an invincible mob. But still, the only way I will completely approve of her, is a co-op mode!

20. Koopa says:

In addition, the combat doesn’t do it for me. I like the idea of making every combat seem more epic instead of having a bunch of mindless trash mob types to clear your way though, but I know I will miss the group fights (I hear it’s only 1on1+Elika now). Fighting five mobs at once in the previous games was a blast, cause it looked so damn cool, yet it wasn’t too hard to pull off those awesome moves.

21. Noc says:

The combat worries me, a little. One of the things I liked about the earlier PoPs’ combat was that it involved a lot of grappling and maneuvering; this game, on the other hand, seems to be very combo based. I know it’s a bit early to make a judgment based on little clips from one trailer, but something I noticed about halfway through is that each combat clip involved the same move. PoP had combos too, but one of the points of having several different ones was the grappling and maneuvering; they offered you different ways to get outside of a circle of enemies, or let you throw enemies different ways to take advantage of the surroundings. This, though, looks like pretty standard combo-based juggling; you pick one enemy and try and string out a combo as long as you can by giving the correct responses in turn. They might even try adding “depth” to the system by putting in “RPG Elements” . . . which means that every so often you unlock a new, more powerful combo that involves pressing more buttons!

Again, it’s really too early to judge, but I’m hoping they’re going to be tossing something tremendously new into the mix, that’ll indicate a new take on one of the existing elements. Taking combat another step beyond what it is, for instance, instead of just adding a new game mechanic because it seemed like a good idea.

Or at least just make it a really, really credible platformer.

22. parm says:

You know, I don’t care if it is “just” a continuation of Sands of Time, because Sands of Time was one of the best fucking games of the last [x] years and if this was just More Levels, I’d still buy it. I really, really like the art direction, and I’ll be ultra-happy if they just don’t fuck it up too much. Any more than that is just a bonus.

23. Ginger Yellow says:

As parm says, I don’t want a “stellar leap forwards”. I want a giant leap backward to SoT, but prettier.

24. Schrodinger's Lolcat says:

@AndrewC:

Drivelware.

But I like these videos :o

25. Meat Circus says:

@Quinns:

He sounds like Nathan Fallon, if it in fact isn’t Nathan Fallon. You wrong, it’s a win.

26. Picacodigos says:

It’s just me or the “emo” video looked more like the trailer of a Final Fantasy game, rather than the trailer of a PoP game?

27. Bema says:

Not impressed with the art style at all. Ah well, another game to cross off my list.

28. roryok says:

Hah! Prince of Iran! that would be an… interesting game.

29. Ian says:

@ Bema: Just because of the art style?

30. born2expire says:

ehhh console trash, i’ll pass.

31. Fumarole says:

So much for physics eh?

32. Dante says:

@ born2expire

Console trash? The sands of time games?

Wash your fucking mouth out.

33. Klumhru says:

I put in a request that they delay the PC release of this offal indefinitely to avoid excessive pir… err nausea.

34. Bhazor says:

I concur with Parm. The last POP trilogy was fantastic and *needs* to be ripped off by everyone. If this has the same quality as those three I’ll be buying it.

Also what’s wrong with the art style, it looks a hell of lot better in motion than any game trying to be realistic and the bright colours should make it easier to see paths and the like.

Combat does look a little like the Devil May Cry “Press three buttons to trigger a 3 minute combo animation during which you’re invincible”.

35. The Poisoned Sponge says:

One thing I am rather impressed with is the music choices for this trailer. Before we had Sigur Ros.. now Sia? Someone working at this game has the right idea… let’s just hope they’re a higher-up…

36. Thirith says:

Problem for me is that Sia’s “Breathe Me” is reserved for the final eight minutes of Six Feet Under, just like Gary Jules’ Mad World is reserved for the last few scenes of Donnie Darko. Everything else is eeeeevil.

37. BrokenSymmetry says:

What a negative crowd here! This game looks incredible, the trailer and its music were great, and having an AI-sidekick that you can actively involve at any moment seems pretty innovative to me. And no death!

38. MrDeVil_909 says:

I saw this game being played live at an expo this weekend. With videos and screenshots you can’t imagine how good this looks.

I know graphics =/= gameplay, but it really looks like a painting come alive. I am concerned with the ‘Win button’ nature of the girl, but I’m still hopeful.

39. born2expire says:

@ Dante

This looks NOTHING like Sands of Time.

40. Man Raised by Puffins says:

Still looking good, although the trailers don’t offer up that many new tidbits.

@ Ophois: As I understand it the devs are treating it as being in an alternate universe to Sands of Time, basically saying that that was one Prince of Persia and the guy in this game is another. Given that the game seems to be sticking to the core tenets of the series reasonably well I think labelling it as a Prince of Persia game is fair, it’s certainly nowhere near the stretch that Far Cry 2 is at any rate.

41. SuperNashwan says:

The magical bouncy jump pads really worry me that the level designers couldn’t get to grips with providing interesting and more natural ways to traverse the larger environments, or else are just being lazy. Either way it’s a bad indication for the element people generally enjoyed the most from the previous games.
    I make this prediction: the game will consist of three sections, first a disappoiting climbing bit scattered with levers to pull/buttons to press, a disappointing staged fight on a ledge/arena and a disappointing cutscene with grating voice acting. Repeat to fade. Also that the game will be held over into late January or early February as a tacit admission that it’s not that good. Fingers crossed I’m wrong and it’s brilliant but…

42. Masked Dave says:

Is it me, or have they made an ass-kicking version of Ico?

43. Duoae says:

@ Masked Dave:

I believe Ico was pretty ass-kicking all on its own. :)

44. James G says:

I’m quietly hopeful on this one. I absolutely adored SoT, byt couldn’t get to grips with WW, the darker style, and increased combat complexity failed to replicate the joy I had with SoT. I adore the presentation of this one, and the described combat system sounds a bit more fun than that seen in WW. I don’t think it’ll be an immediate purchase, but I’ll definately keep an eye on reviews and player response.

45. spd from Russia says:

there are quite interesting developer diaries vids on gametrailers
    (if you havent seen them)

looks very pretty and interesting. will see how the sidekick mechanics works

46. Okami says:

Fact: People who don’t like the art style of this game have no soul.

47. K says:

“…(Surely the next game should be called Prince Of Iran?)”
    The trailer may be new, but the joke is old.

It looks rather nice, but I’m only playing if they let me invert my mouse this time, and I don’t mean the horizontal (why did they do that?).

48. Tom Crowley says:

Well, after loving the hell out of Sands of Time, I’m prepared to give another relaunch a shot. The lack of Mechner involvement makes me shrink back a little bit, but it’s awfully pretty, and the gameplay looks smooth, if not entirely original. And I much prefer the indulgent Final Fantasyism to the gothy goth Dark Knight broody toss of Warrior Within.

In summary, THIS LOOKS SHIT NO STARS AARRG!

49. Ophois says:

@Man Raised by Puffins:
    Don’t get me wrong, I’m very interested in this game and its near the top of my want list for the year. I’m just wondering how “prince of persia” it will be.

I’m okay with the “prince” bit, but I’m not getting much of a “persia” vibe in the material release so far.

Any game that features a Skeksis (obligatory dark crystal reference) on steroids as a bad guy is a good game with me though :)

50. Xander77 says:

What’s the song in the first trailer?

The whole thing seems fairly cool (says a guy who played nothing in the series beyong PoP 2)