Diablo 3 At Blizzcon, Wizard Trailer

By Jim Rossignol on October 10th, 2008 at 9:25 pm.

Ooh, excitement! I’ve posted Blizzard’s splendid Wizard class trailer after the jump. Annoyingly, we weren’t able to get out to Blizzcon, but plenty of our journalistic brethren were and Shacknews have come up with the Diablo 3 goods. There’s some hands-on impressions here, and two length videos of the action from the newly-unveiled Wizard-class here. Blizzard’s info page on the spell-chucker is here. My thoughts? We are totally going to kill some demons and/or zombie lords. Yes.

, .

1. Meat Circus says:

OMG NEEDS LESS COLOUR

2. cpt.whistlepants says:

High res are on the way according to Shack admins.

3. Sepiavision says:

Too colourful, I made an improvement on photoshop that I think would fit much better (the one on the right):

4. ZenArcade says:

They have betrayed humanity and crushed my childhood. SCREW THESE COLOURS :’(

5. Meat Circus says:

@Sepiavision:

Chromatic lols.

6. Man Raised by Puffins says:

@ Sepiavision: What are you, gay? That’s still far too colourful for us manly heterosexual manly men. I think you’ll find that this photoshop presents the only acceptable solution.

7. SanguineLobster says:

I’m not entirely clear on the difference between her and the sorceress. Besides, obviously there’ll be a strong focus wizardry, as opposed to the the far inferior sorcery.

8. Fumarole says:

Why is she walking in slo-mo?

9. CakeAddict says:

Those spells don’t beat zombie wall spell though…

10. danarchist says:

too much color? seriously? I mean….your serious?

Your right, its just not diablo unless its almost completely blacked out and running at 800×600. Am I the worlds first self hating fan boi? Cause I really hate fan boi’s all of a sudden

11. Tei says:

I like the in-game gameplay, but everything else is low quality. WTF?!

12. Carra says:

There goes my plan to make a completely black workover :(

13. JamesC says:

I laughed at the Undead Lord voice over – bit weak. Like Steve from Staines – ” I will devour you. Oh yes.”. And Blizzard usually do such good voice work (ZUG ZUG).

14. Carra says:

Also meh, Divine Divinity already had a “wall of dead”:

Hardened skeletons are much more powerful than the simple skeleton. A group of them will build a very effective line of defense. Bring this wall between you and your opponents, and they will protect you in most situations. Prepare other spells, drink a healing potion or simply look into the chests while your humble servants keep your enemies busy.

I don’t see why everyone seems to think this is so original.

15. Sepiavision says:

@ Man Raised by Puffins: Well goddamn, that is some kind of manly.

16. Tom says:

That really looks weak. But I guess that is what you get from clinging onto the same game for 11 years.

17. sana says:

Doesn’t really look like that class can pack a class. The abilities in fact appear rather whimsy..

18. unclelou says:

Looks absolutely great to me. Can’t even tell you how glad I am that they didn’t follow any “modern” third-person trend or similar nonsense. Really can’t wait to play this.

19. Dolphan says:

I was going to make some derogatory comment about it not really being a ‘new’ class, and then watched the spell vids on the blizzard site. That slow time bubble is ten kinds of awesome.

This game has just about reached must buy for me, and I didn’t even worship Diablo 2 in the traditional manner.

20. PleasingFungus says:

“Magic Missile” makes me laugh, though I’m not sure why. Looks awesome, though. The spell and the class.

Man Raised by Puffins’ improvements are marvelous.

21. MasterBoo says:

Bigger news than this: Sc2 will be released as 3 games – each one consisting of a roughly 36 mission campaign (starting with a Terran release, Zerg and concluded with a Protoss).

22. Zyrusticae says:

Skill runes. http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/55258

Totally @#$%ing awesome. I missed the spellbooks from Diablo, and it’s great to see them receive a spiritual successor in DIII. So sweet…

23. Sev3rity says:

PleasingFungus says:

Man Raised by Puffins’ improvements are marvelous.

Could this by why? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oWAb5NVALw

24. Radiant says:

If you were that pretty wouldn’t you walk in slow motion too?
    *walks out the door*
    That took 10 minutes.

25. Brann says:

Wait, a CHICK wizard? Women can’t be wizards, everyone knows that! I was expecting this to be the trailer for the Belly Dancer class!

26. Morningoil in Japan says:

“There’s some hands-on impressions here, and two length videos of the action from the newly-unveiled Wizard-class here”

How long is two long?

/*here all week*/

27. TheDeadlyShoe says:

I can’t get any of the videos to work and Blizzard wants me to download an .exe to get the video from them. Lame.

28. Butler` says:

Looks insane, as ever (bar the weird intro with the WoW hum/fem model).

29. Chris R says:

I think I’m in love! The sorceress is my favorite class from D2, and I played the wizard from original D1 the most, so this new wizard class in D2 looks amazing. DO WANT. Oh yes.

30. fanciestofpants says:

Cool. I really do hope there’s some sort of multi where you don’t have to share space with people you don’t know. D1/D2 was always a LAN favorite, I don’t want it contaminated with thousands of MMO randoms.

Now let’s see the heavy-armor melee class.

31. Esa says:

All I care about is her rack, true Blizzard style.

32. ngc248 says:

hmm… Colour is good

33. SwiftRanger says:

It’s impressive stuff, if that’s King Leoric again then I am really liking it. :) Skills themselves seem so much more player-skill based, it’s gonna be interesting to see if the difficulty holds up with that so we shouldn’t just simply click all the time but actually think more about how to defeat those monsters.

34. The Hammer says:

Ooooh, lovely! The mage/wizard/sorcerer class is always my favourite, and this one looks great! The end of that story video was very nice, with all the explosions and great effusions of blood!

35. StenL says:

I just think my want-meter exploded.

36. Ergates says:

I like “Hardened skeletons are much more powerful than the simple skeleton“.

Yes, you might almost they they were….harder.

37. Azradesh says:

@ fanciestofpants
    Heavy armor melee would be the barbarian

38. Pags says:

they’ve still yet to show me why i should buy this when i already have the horribly underrated titan quest (blame tom francis for that one).

39. Arnulf says:

@ Carra

What quality is original? Is it better? I don’t think so. If someone has a good idea and puts it into the public for the first time, than that is usually deemed original. However if the execution of that original (or innovative) concept is poorly done, than it does more harm than good to a good idea.

Note that I do not think that Divine Divinity was poorly executed. My sole intention is to debunk the myth that original ideas are somehow inherently better. They’re not!

As an addendum: Blizzard games generally do not appeal through originality. Quite the contrary, sometimes they excel because they take original ideas and execute them in a manner which do them really justice.

40. Crash says:

I’m going to rot in hell for that comment but: she has words “rape me!” clearly written on her face.

41. Phoenix 2.0 says:

Yeah, that’s not creepy at all.

42. Klaus says:

Women have to be wizards/clerics cause they’re too weak to do anything else. Maybe bard stuff too since they’re naturally born liars.
    /misogyny

It looks nice, I don’t know what the color fanboi were talking about… but then I only played Diablo 2 once. Can you pick gender/class in this game or am limited to macho barbarians, feminine wizards and androgynous rogues?

43. Derek K. says:

“Correct me if I’m wrong, I think the last game based on an original idea done by Blizzard was Lost Vikings.”

Pretty much. Diablo was somewhat original, but not completely.

What Blizzard does is take an idea, take several more, come up with some new stuff, blend it all together in an *amazingly* masterful package, and then release the best in class version of whatever it is.

Can’t say I blame them – I have yet to play a bad Blizzard game. And I still have games going back to *checks* War 2 installed on my machine at this moment.

44. momohunter says:

How come there is a chinese wizzard in Diablo 3…yo yo..it sounds funny as she do lots of “kamekameha”…in dragon ball z.

Awesome….awesome

45. Metronome says:

Actually, after I see this trailer, I decided that I have to try this game:D. At first I have already had no hope for this game, but hey, this video has high promise.

46. mister slim says:

Why is Blizzard using a slowed-down run animation for her walk animation?

47. Flint says:

“Can you pick gender/class in this game or am limited to macho barbarians, feminine wizards and androgynous rogues?”

IIRC you can pick a gender for everyone.

48. suibhne says:

I wish GameVideos didn’t suck.

49. c-Row says:

What’s that ongoing rant about D3 being too colourful? Can’t you just fiddle with your monitor’s colour setup and leave the rest of us alone?

50. sigma83 says:

c-Row: It’s sarcasm at this point. Check the screenshots.