No Time For Losers – Champions Beta Sign-Up

By John Walker on October 14th, 2008 at 12:31 pm.

A man, fighting a bug in a beta, yesterday.

Champions Online is taking registrations for its closed beta. Is it that time already? Blimey. And hurrah. If you want to apply to be one of the early few to fight crime and bugs, you need to head over to Cryptic’s site, sign up an account, and then apply. While the game is also coming out on 360, the beta is PC only (at this stage at least). You can read all about the game in our extensive coverage here. Or, if you’re really lazy, here’s some video footage of the whole superhero thing in action which we haven’t linked to yet.

BIFF! BANG! POW! (Trad).

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Meat Circus says:

What’s its hook and/or new conceit? All MOGs need a conceit, by law.

2. Bahamut says:

It’s seems to be :
    “Fluo. A brilliant and amazingg (with to g, yeah dude), Mmorpg with all kind of fluo stuff, like fluo gloves, fluo hair, fluo little cross flying in the air”.

Fortunately, I’m not in charge of Marketing. Even thought it would be intersting, wouldn’t ?

3. The Poisoned Sponge says:

Signed up yesterday. I can’t wait to recreate my Victorian Gentleman, frozen in the Thames after a freak winter accident.

And his nemesis, Jolly Foriegner.

4. Mr Pink says:

Is no-one excited about this then? I’m really looking forward to it- if they can produce the highs of CoH over a longer period, this could be a truely great game. For me, character customisation is such an important part of a mumorperger, and I think the main reason that WAR just didn’t really do it for me.

5. Dave says:

I hope the trailer wasn’t representative of the final product… that was the more generic sword-waving-about I’ve ever seen, and beating up mannequins doesn’t look that exciting.

6. Dominic White says:

While I quite liked CoH, I’d have hoped they would have moved beyond just repeatedly punching/zapping generic grunt enemies over and over again until they fall over.

One thing that they could do is take a note from Dungeons & Dragons 4.0, which had a whole seperate ‘minion’ class of enemies. Minions only have 1hp, no matter what level they are, and basically are there to make the heroes feel awesomely powerful. All you have to do is land a single solid hit to knock out or kill one of them.

Champions could do with a mechanic like that. Packs of little grunt enemies that basically animate as dodging or rolling or otherwise not dying until you score one good hit, and then die spectacularly. It’d go a long way to reinforce the concept that you ARE a superhero.

7. Rodafowa says:

I’m ridiculously, stupidly excited for this to the point that it can’t possibly live up to my expectations. CoH awakened me to my inner pretentiously-named-female-superhero.

8. Sensitive Artist says:

I just happened to look at their site yesterday and saw the beta signup. Even though I’ve never played an MMORPG before, I applied for the beta.

9. eyemessiah says:

@ Dominic White

I say YES to D&D minions.

10. mujadaddy says:

I’m attempting to get in. I’m cautiously optimistic that I’ll be playing it until they shut down the servers.

11. Winterborn says:

You know CoH has a whole class of weaker enemies called minions before D&D 4th was even a twinkle in the eye right guys?