RPS Asks: Online FPS?

By Jim Rossignol on October 14th, 2008 at 3:13 pm.

Do you play a multiplayer shooter on a regular basis? If so, what is it? Are you guys still hammering away at Counter-Strike? Has Team Fortress 2 retained its appeal for you over the year? Are you looking forward to Quake Live? Are you, by some peculiar happenstance, still playing one of the olden Quakes or the early Unreal Tournament? OpFlash perhaps? Do you play any FPS mods?

Also, what do you guys think of Multiplay’s new concept: Pickup.gg? Would you use a service like that to find you opponents, teams, and instant games? How do you find games at the moment? So many questions!

Speak!

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Feet says:

Team Fortress 2 still gets trotted out. I think I went 4 months without playing it after I got bored, even missing a few of the class patches but I recently started playing again and it’s still as fun and frenetic as it ever was. It’s a great game to rediscover.

I’m not particularly looking forward to Battlefield Heroes or Quake Live, I shall be watching with interest and I’m sure I’ll give them a go assuming they’re free to play but I’m not that fussed.

2. Dominic White says:

Never been too wildly big on online FPS’s myself, but Team Fortress 2 provides a couple of rounds of fun on a semi-regular basis.

Left 4 Dead is probably going to become my game of choice soon, though. It just looks so damn fun, and you KNOW that Valve are going to playtest, refine and patch the hell out of it to the point of delicious perfection.

3. Alec Meer says:

What? Why? When? How? Who? ANSWER!

4. Dreamhacker says:

Pickup.gg? Is this similar to All Seeing Eye?

5. GibletHead2000 says:

I still play UT3. No mods, and I only really play deathmatch. I don’t like team games. I tend to use the in-game server browser to find games. That’s it really… Dull, dull, dull I know. I’m somewhat behind the times.

6. cyrenic says:

I play TF2 occasionally, though Warhammer has taken most of my gaming time lately. When playing I generally see if my friends are on through Steam and then join whatever server they are in.

7. Dante says:

I’m a TF2 man, Heavy by trade. Haven’t played as much recently though due to being sucked in by WAR.

8. shon says:

Team Fortress 2 is nice in that if I have a short amount of time, I can join a perpetual 2Fort server and have some fun. If I have to go suddenly, I can log out without really worrying about how much time is left on the clock and how that might make my team lose.

After a bad day of work, I either want to kill someone in a ridiculous fashion or be killed in a ridiculous fashion. Even if some jerk spy is dominating me, it’s still kind of funny and hard to take personally.

9. Bananaphone says:

Armed Assault, Battlefield 1942 (vanilla and DC) and Rainbow Six Vegas. Don’t get any joy out of typical FPS online modes, largely because I’m utterly rubbish and get shot in the face within two seconds.

10. Mr Pink says:

Just TF2 for me. Still as much fun as it ever was, and the server browser is fantasic- I can always find the style of game I’m looking for.

I’m looking forward to Battlefield Heroes more than Quake Live myself, but I think that’s because Quake 3 never really did it for me (Sorry Jim).

I never played Planetside, but I would definitely like to give that style of online FPS a go. Is Huxley still the best hope of that?

11. Gap Gen says:

Armed Assault: http://www.pukrw.com/wordpress/?p=82

Also, CoD4 for mindless shootyness.

12. Feet says:

What? TF2!
    Why? Fun SHOOOT!
    When? The question is not when, but where
    How? Now brown cow.
    Who? US.

That pickup.gg thingy looks interesting. I used to be in a CSS clan, but also played in mixes with a few decent blokes I had on my xfire list when they needed a fifth and if I wanted I jumped on. They were usually atleast a reasonable giggle and even sometimes great funs.

I’ve often thought about playing TF2 mixes but I know no one who plays that would invite me.

13. The Sombrero Kid says:

just TF2 and I’ll be getting L4D when it comes out, still play Q3 sometimes though so I’ll definitely be trying out Quake Live

14. RiptoR says:

Regular sessions:
    * Team Fortress 2
    * Day of Defeat Source
    * CoD2

Sporadic sessions:
    * CoD4
    * Counter-Strike Source
    * STALKER Clear Sky (connection problems in the game keep me from booting it up much)
    * Albatross18 (Golf MMO)

I mostly play SP games though lately (freelance reviews on PC/X360).

15. The Klugman Revolution says:

I play Call of Duty 4 on the work LAN occasionally. That’s about it really.

16. Simon says:

I play a moderate amount of Team Fortress 2 and Call of Duty 4, and I sooometimes flit to OpenArena aswell.

17. mellowF says:

NATURAL SELECTION, the mod that so few play anymore but that still rocks like when it was young.

18. TYPH01D says:

Hmm I guess I am the only one looking forward to QuakeLive. I don’t know what it is. I played the hell out of Q3 years back, then stopped afer becoming consumed by other titles. But the idea of playing free, with a ranking system and such is kind of appealing. I’m curious to see what else they add to the game.

19. john says:

I play quite a bit of HL2DM, but its getting harder as the servers have dried up due to TF2. I got bored with TF2 a while back..

20. Spiny says:

Team Fortress 2
    Call of Duty 4
    and occasionally quake 3 (yes really, it’s still that good after all this time

Just on publics with good pings atm or favourites.

21. Downloads_Plz says:

TF2 is the only one I play on any sort of regular basis, and even that is pretty far from regular.

I just join public servers, though I usually stick to the first ones I found that I really enjoyed.

22. shaven-gopher says:

I play warsow and quake live.

And before you ask, I can’t give you any specifics about QL, the NDA basically gags all of the people in the beta from talking about it. If you like quake 3, you’ll like quake live.

23. sbs says:

I play Quake 3 CPM – http://www.promode.org/ – on a regular basis. Duels and TDM- and 2v2-Pickups mostly.
    I’m in a tdm team and we find practice clanwars just asking around in various IRC channels on Quakenet. When there are no tournaments around the corner, that can be difficult because most teams are not active. It’s still great fun when it works out.

Yes, I’m looking forward to Quake Live, although mostly because I hope it will bring more people into the original Quake 3 & Mods. Playing the Beta of course, it seems to be shaping up very, very nicely.

24. phuzz says:

Hate people so not really a big online type, but enjoy a few hours of TF2, not played since before the heavy patch, not sure why.

25. subedii says:

Usually Team Fortress 2, ten years in the making and man was it worth it.

Although over the past week I’ve found myself getting sucked quite heavily into Crysis Wars. You know I disparaged this a fair amount before, but they’ve really tightened up the gameplay and it’s genuinely a lot of fun now.

Once you know what you’re doing and what objectives you need to focus on when, the game becomes a good collision of action gameplay with strategic thinking. The suit versatility and choosing between the available equipment help add to that.

At least when your team actually know what they’re supposed to be doing. Half the time I feel as if I’m the only one trying to get the TAC tank up to end the game, and even then everyone else is too busy playing “Gunship!” elsewhere to give me any decent support. Seriously, guys, I’m only half-way up the leader board and there are people with hundreds more points than me, why am I the only one spending to get the TAC up?

Anyway, it’s really fun, and it strikes me as the kind of game that would be really awesome to play with a regular group of people.

26. AbyssUK says:

I still play Codename Eagle every so often… its still the funniest game ever made, the bugs are like the hisses in old jazz lp’s.. ahhh god I love that game so much…
    It was made in 200-2001 and is still played today by people online, even with its awful netcode. Battlefield Heroes has a lot to live up too, if i wasn’t also gagged by an NDA I’d tell you why so far it isn’t living upto it.

27. wviperw says:

Mostly TF2 these days.
    Although I’ve also picked up RA3 again at work as of late.
    And then there is my first love, Q3 Promode, which I play every so often. Good to see somebody else plays CPM around here (sbs)!

28. dartt says:

Team Fortress 2 almost every day with the RPS chatters on the RPS server. I’m still playing it because it’s just incredibly comfortable to slip in to and it’s still funny; I still hear the characters come out with little phrases I’ve never heard before.

Red Orchestra drags me back in semi-regularly; It’s a very atmospheric game and fulfils my cog-in-a-machine urge where I can enjoy being an unimportant grunt in an epic battle. I can’t wait to see what Tripwire are working on.

29. Gpig says:

I can’t stop playing CoD4 on the pc. It basically is Counter-Strike 2. I know the single player is supposed to be good but I just haven’t gotten around to playing it. It’s like when I played thousands of hours of CS before I ever tried Half-Life (and ultimately didn’t like it because it was the same engine that I am used to bunny hopping and boosting through roofs and skyboxes on).

I’ve had to reinstall it a couple times and both times I didn’t save my file so I had to get back up through the ranks again and that was fun.

30. MarvintheParanoidAndroid says:

Hurrah, another opportunity to pimp Dystopia!
    The heavy update didn’t pull me back into TF2 like I’d hoped, still don’t have any of the unlocks. Maybe the next one will do!

That pickups thing looks rather nifty, there was an IRC bot for Dystopia that would do the same thing (make teams, set game and ventrilo servers up, etc). I might see if I can try some UT3/CoD4/TF2 matches on it and decide if I like any of them more competitively. Of course whether it’s any good entirely depends on what the community who uses it is like, the advantage of a small mod community is knowing everyone and being sure that you’ll have a good time if you hop on ventrilo and join a server with them.

31. Senethro says:

Outside of term-time, I play FPS entirely too much. This year I’ve been playing Enemy Territory:Quake Wars, TF2 and CoD4 in about that order.

ETQW was my main game as it was the only large team FPS in recent years that was brave enough not to let a pseudo-realism fetish get in the way of fast fragging.

I played TF2 regularly for a fresh outlook and original direction, but 95% of public servers were terrible 24/7 FASTRESPAWN OMG GO GOGO 2FORTZZZZZ, meaning I limited my play to Knifeback Mountain and the RPS community server. If it hadn’t been for finding good servers I would have considered my money wasted, like how I consider the money paid for DoD:S and CS wasted.

I dabbled with CoD4 once for a couple of weeks just for variety. Was fun enough as long as I could find a good server that wasn’t running a Hardcore campfest. Good game, but not really my thing.

I’m dabbling in lots of betas for upcoming FPS, am looking forward to playing Quake Live and griefing on Battlefield Heroes.

32. Anon says:

TF2 for the win always fun to pick up and push the little cart.

Battlefield heroes is fun but a little unbalanced and needs some polish still. Beta only has 2 maps and its fairly easy to own with one or two classes. For instance they try to do the spy in battlefield heroes but its almost impossible to hit anyone withe knife. Beta is fun though. I hope I’m not breaking a NDA :S

33. faint says:

UT2004 – I’ve been playing regularly since then
    TF2 – when there’s a patch
    Zombie Panic Source – flavour of the month – it’s good despite some rough edges, the big-budget L4D should be amazing

They all have decent server browsers and inbuilt voice, so I don’t see why anything else is needed.

34. kyrieee says:

I play CS 1.6 when I have the time, both pub and praccs. I’ve played it since beta 6 or so, and for the past few years I played several matches most days of the week. It doesn’t get old (still the most popular online shooter by a mile)

Sometimes I get around to playing some Q3 Clan Arena and TFC. TF2 bores the living shit out of me

35. debaser says:

Played Counter-strike Source competitively until recently, been to last 5 or so i-series and a few other LAN events. Playing quite a bit of tf2 at the moment :D

36. Theo says:

I CAN NOT WAIT FOR QUAKE LIVE, sorry, needed to get that out of my system.

37. Real Horrorshow says:

I haven’t played an online FPS regularly since the spring. Just don’t feel like it. On top of that, none of the stuff coming out this fall that I want is really multiplayer focused either. Multiplayer FPS’ are dead to me until a proper Battlefield 3 comes out.

38. Nallen says:

CoD4 TDM, only.

39. mbp says:

COD4 is my multiplayer aggression outlet of choice atmo.

As a casual player (play for a few days and then take a month or so break) I get frustrated by my lack of progress. I can get up to mid table but no further. I wish more PC game offered non competitive on-line co-op mode like Gears of War.

40. Manlove says:

I’m shocked that no one didn’t say Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. Its the best Online FPS there is atm. Its not about killing people and more about people working as a team to win. If you haven’t tried it out, you should! It only costs about 20€.

41. nabeel says:

I don’t really play FPS’ online much anymore, but I did get into the Quake Live Beta and it was a nice return to that game after so many years. I’d almost forgotten what manic mp shooters were like. Needless to say I got my ass properly kicked.

nabeel

42. Seniath says:

TF2. Still. Bitches gotta burn!

@Manlove – No joke, I was also going to add that I used to play some ET:QW, but stopped when the servers started drying up.

43. Mathieu says:

There only one FPS game to rules them all : Penguins Arena.
    Penguins fighting each other. Freaking Penguins goddammit!

Did you know that we added game modes, a map creator, penguins customization… did you know? huh?

44. Leeks! says:

I play both COD4 and TF2, but being rather antisocial, as well as rather bad at both, my online FPS time can definitely be described as “occasional.”

45. Heiocentric says:

its all about the mods.

Natural selection (half-life) first person biter
    Hidden Source (half-life 2) first person stabber eater
    Project reality (battlefield 2) first person hiding IED’s on lamposts.

Call of duty 4 and Team fortress 2 manage to come though unedited.

What about non FPS mods of FPS games? (alien swarm)

I love to flood non tactical team games with tactics, get in a Quake live team play server with a few friends and issue suppressive fire.

Oh, and Splinter cell chaos theory ( multi-player is an FPS’s for one side)

Finally and most recently, Brothers in arms, although i hardly consider it an FPS as I shoot no-one, my AI squaddies do my dirty work.

Oh, and SWAT 4, over lan with my girlfriend, she executes the captives who she deems to be perverts or murderers.

There will be more, I’ve played all these this month.

46. Senethro says:

I’ve already mentioned ETQW, Manlove. While I too think its the best online FPS, I’d be more qualified in recommending it to people as its not for everyone. It is going for really cheap right now, but you should still try the ETQW demo v.2 first. (here: http://files.filefront.com/Enemy+Territory+Quake+Wars+v20+Demo/;9454627;/fileinfo.html)

47. Heiocentric says:

Not played Quake live btw, but i am planning too.

48. Manlove says:

@Seniath

There’s still more than enough servers to play on, but yeah you are right that there really isn’t that many compared to many other online FPS’s. Because of the servers, you start know all people, how they place etc. And sometimes even new servers pop-up. But what the game really needs is a new content update like maps etc. But I still urge people to try it out!

49. soviet_ says:

Played Counter-Strike for 5 years, then CSS. Played both CSS and Team Fortress 2 when that came out, the past 6 months I now just play TF2.

Went from playing public only to public & competitive, then competitive only, back to pub & comp and now public at the minute over 8 years. Doesn’t time fly

50. xate says:

used to play a lot of q3 cpma, am now in the testing for quakelive and its kinda sweet ^^

the most tense mp matches i every played were some s&d and tdm in cod4… the weapon customization is just my fav! i’d love to see more of this in upcoming games!

just finished bf bad company and started brothers in arms hells highway… both on x360, very nice games indeed but i dont think i will play them online very much :D

Comment on this story