Left 4 Dead Pre-Ordering Begins

By John Walker on October 15th, 2008 at 11:57 pm.

Smart people will notice they've reversed the hand to a left one, after receiving obnoxious complaints.

Christmas is a tough time of year for the dedicated PC gamer. All the best titles madly appear in one giant rush over the last three months, ensuring that no one has enough money to buy all the games they would like to. Someone tell the publishers – somehow this escapes them. But anyhow, the point is, why not, er, spend some of that money a bit earlier. Valve have just announced Left 4 Dead as available for pre-order via Steam.

It’s 10% off if bought ahead of release, which makes it $44.99, plus whatever taxes your evil dictatorship leaders impose upon you. Entertainingly quoting himself in a press release he wrote, Valve’s Doug Lombardi says,

“With just over four weeks until launch, Left 4 Dead is showing every sign of topping The Orange Box on both the PC and Xbox 360, at retail as well as on Steam. Our pre-sell numbers at retail have jumped to over 65% greater than Orange Box at the same proximity to launch, and we’re seeing tremendous enthusiasm for the product in what promises to be another great year for gaming on both platforms.”

The show-off. Anyone who had a go at the game at the PC Gamer Showdown will tell you quite how good it is. We’ll back that up. There’s no word yet whether there will be a beta period for pre-orderers.

, , .

1. Premium User Badge Nero says:

Pre-purchased here! But I do hate the damn VAT ($11.25), I wish it would go away :(.

2. freelancepolice says:

consider this preordered!

3. The Unshaven says:

Ooh, damnit. Now I have to decide whether I want to get the disc version or preorder here.

The disc-version’s benefit being that when I format, i don’t have to spend as much bandwidth redownloading all my games.

In a situation where bandwidth is limited, that’s a concern…

- The Unshaven.

4. vordhosbn says:

Man, the $50 is a bit steeper than I would have liked. Orange Box was amazing value for money and I jumped on it instantly but in this case I think I’m gonna wait for the demo.

5. dishwasherlove says:

Going to wait for the Aussie dollar to be a bit more respectable before I preorder it. Go little dollar go!

6. Feet says:

Looking at just a shade over £30 inc taxes for those in the UK. Job jobbed.

7. kyrieee says:

my money? where did it all go
    =/

8. Lh'owon says:

I know I’m probably alone in this, but I’m quite looking forward to Left 4 Dead.

9. Premium User Badge GibletHead2000 says:

Preordered also. If the pound crashes heavily sometime within the next month I’ll get to feel smug, I guess.

10. SKACE says:

It wasnt there hour ago :( OK, let’s try it now …

11. Pavel says:

Its really great. The whole year goes by, we have Assassins Creed and….Mass Effect.

And during last 4 months we get:

Stalker CS, Witcher EE, Dead Space, Fallout 3, L4D, FarCry2,Silent Hill 5, Red Alert 3,Crysis Warhead, Pure,Brothers in Arms 3, Spore,Mercenaries 2, GTA4, Saints Row 2…………

ITS INSANE!!!
    Stupid publishers, really.

12. Mataway says:

@Unshaven: You can backup any Steam purchases to disk so that you don’t have to download all your games when you reformat. I’ve done it a number of times, and it works like a charm.

13. Po0py says:

I know will be able to get it for around £25 or even cheaper if I look hard enough. There are too many games on Steam that are way too overpriced imho. Example: A year after release and CoD4 is still $70!

I always thought digital download services were supposed to be cheaper do to the fact that the only logistics involved is several Gigs of bandwidth with no packaging or transport costs. Just a fuckin download and they don’t want to lower the prices a bit? Meh.

14. The Unshaven says:

@Mataway: Intriguing! I’ll try that again, with that recommendation. I’ve tried that a few times myself except that after I’ve formatted it turns out the backup files are glitched somehow. Of course, that was on a different machine…

- The Unshaven.

15. Katsumoto says:

Hmm yes, was expecting this to be a fair bit cheaper. Oh well!

16. David says:

Pre-ordered here too.
    10% is almost not worth it, but it says you’ll be able to pre-load it. That’s what sold me.
    Can’t wait.

17. Nimic says:

I’ve been extremely excited about this game ever since it was announced, back when people seemingly didn’t know this work of awesome even existed. Now I’ve got an icon to look at!

18. Y3k-Bug says:

World of Goo, FarCry 2, Dead Space, Left 4 Dead, Peggle Nights.

Wish October/November would be nicer to my bank account.

I’d be mad if all of those games didn’t look so insanely good.

19. crysomemore says:

Why is everyone crying about the price of this game? Any one want to give some reasoning for why you expected this game to come out cheaper? The price is fine and it is completely normal price for new original content game. Already preordered from a site other then steam so I am having trouble understanding why users thought steam digital download would come cheaper.

20. Y3k-Bug says:

I don’t think anyone thought the Steam release would be cheaper than the retail, they thought the OVERALL price would be lower.

Somewhat related note: is the single player mode like the Unreal Tournament games, where its basically a trainer for the multiplayer game, or is it a legit story mode?

21. Andrew says:

crysomemore; it seems the Orange Box was just so much better value – almost all the previews I’ve seen tout Left 4 Dead as a multiplayer 4 person game, with basically no plot but fighting lots of zombies. Shame it’s not priced “ala multiplayer only game” like Valve has done with TF2, Counterstrike etc.

I’ll wait until the reviews (which may be laughable) and demo (if there is one). I’m not sure I’ll gather enough friends to get the game themselves, and I don’t think playing it with AI will be the same (I’m not that big a fan of zombies to be honest).

22. Nahual says:

What they thought, for people in places like Australia and Europe, is that they would finally get games at US prices, i believe.
    Steam is great for people living in Latin America though, we do get the regular US price and no taxes :P.

23. suchchoices says:

if left 4 dead provides a fraction of the hours of fun I’ve had with orange box, it’ll still be a bargain, even with the sadly increased usd/aud ratio of late.

i wonder if valve will continue adding free post-release content updates for left 4 dead in the spirit of tf2.

24. suchchoices says:

perhaps i meant decreased there.

25. MeestaNob! says:

The extra cost is to be expected really, OB was almost too good a value for the meager monies they were asking. Seems fair in a strange sort of way.

That said, I’m afraid I’m gonna have to wait for the Aussie dollar to man up a little bit before I splurge, the current exchange rate puts it dangerously close to $70 AUD, which while, embarrassingly, still cheaper than retail is much too close to retail price without a lovely shiny box.

Sad face.

Actually, if it was this + Peggle Nights for $50 US flat I reckon I’d have clicked purchase by now.

26. cyrenic says:

Gonna wait on the demo just to be sure I like the game.

27. Grandstone says:

Gonna wait on the demo just to be sure I can run the game.

28. soviet_ says:

I couldn’t give Valve my money fast enough, I would’ve paid $80 for this game

29. Heliocentric says:

I call it here first! There will be a peggle/popcap zombie game bundled with l4d at release. I’m unimpressed at the price because of the tax mainly. Cheaper at retail. *sigh* that’ll do i guess.

30. rupert says:

pre purchased !!!!!!!!! woot

31. Mike says:

That is… considerably more expensive than I’d expected.

Hmm.

32. TRS-80 says:

Mataway: you don’t even have to use the backup function, you can just copy the .gcfs back into the SteamApps folder.

33. Mike says:

So, it’s £27 on Play.com.

Sorry, Valve, but that was just stupid. Buying offline saves a fiver.

34. Cataclysm says:

Ouch @ price… Its just not worth me parting with my money at this stage, as most of my free time goes towards Warhammer Online at the moment (oh what a good game).

I also need to pay a bit more attention to World of Warcraft as my sister and I have characters still waiting to hit level 70 before WOTLK is launched.

It seems I’m a MumohoarrpeegeeHead at the moment. (Try saying that out loud).

35. Gap Gen says:

Yeah, I dunno if this has more value than TF2, Portal and HL:Ep 2 combined?

36. Feet says:

Yeah, actually £30 seems alot for a Steam game where you don’t get a box\manual and so on.

If you don’t mind using a smaller online company you can get it for £25.

I can’t vouch for the company, not having used them before but times is tight so I’m giving them a punt.

37. Draycen says:

I’ve now used shopto.net a couple of times and am very impressed. Firstly they do free next day delivery on everything. Secondly they have especially good prices on pre-orders. Spore was my first purchase from them and it was £24.99 and was delivered the day before release.

So yes. They seem pretty good. Ah and also they have a price match forum, so if you find anything cheaper elsewhere they may match it.

Dray

38. Heliocentric says:

I was always wary of their site. But between them and “game collection” i don’t think i’d have to pay rrp on anything. If they think its worth $50 i’ll take their word for it. But i’m too poor to get 2 copies right now as is required by my other half so we can play it for the first time together.

The last game i spent more than £18 on was oblivion(not counting the orange box). And i’m in no way living in games of the past. £30 is just a price i wont pay anymore. We shall see about that demo.

39. The Sombrero Kid says:

@Cataclysm

lol “£30 one off payment WTF!!!!!! i can’t afford that i spend £15 a month for the privilege of considering ‘playing’ 2 other games.”
    it’s like your addiction is preventing you from getting the cure :D

40. The Sombrero Kid says:

you’ve got to remember the orange box was an expert piece of marketing to make us all like thier DRM sell us 3 games for the price of one and we’ll barely notice the DRM they come with, which is done right and is awesome for so many reasons, but you’ve got to remember the orange box was so cheap because it had to be.

it was also about the can black box or whatever bloody colour it was, which pissed people off before they found out that the orange box was the same price.

41. Heliocentric says:

Mmo fees begat mmo fees. But mmo people who won’t even try free demo’s and live in an mmo bubble piss me right off. “Ffs! You can’t quit the mmo because you think its the best game because you play nothing else”. I hate that some of my friends share my hobby but are so utterly dead to me.

42. Ian says:

Want to play this but I’ve got enough on my plate with about four other pre-orders in the works.

43. brog says:

“Christmas is a tough time of year for the dedicated PC gamer. All the best titles madly appear in one giant rush over the last three months, ensuring that no one has enough money to buy all the games they would like to. Someone tell the publishers – somehow this escapes them.”

I always thought this was a very generous move to give indie developers a better chance of selling something by releasing it in the void.

44. Ginger Yellow says:

I can understand wanting a manual for, say, Civ IV. But do people really still want manuals for something like L4D? I mean, I don’t want to give Valve ideas, but I figure the benefit of not needing to find and put in the disc easily outweighs the “it should cost less than Play” factor.

45. Paul Moloney says:

Normally, I buy any Valve games on Steam (that is, HL episodes) since I want them as soon as they launch. But with the mountain of games I have this October/November (just got World of Goo, have both Fallout 3 and Far Cry 2 on the way) I may just hang on for the non-virtual version, especially as it’s bound to be cheaper than £30.

P.

46. Feet says:

Ginger Yellow:
    Considering the number of high quality games coming out in the next 2 months, any kind of saving is always preferable, manual or no.

Additionally, it’s just the fact that a retail copy costs more to produce than a digital one, and yet the retail version is over £5 cheaper. I thought one of the selling points of digital distribution is that some of those savings could be passed onto the consumer. Clearly not happening here, infact Valve are charging more.

I’m all for making sure the devs get as much of money as I can. I bought Defcon direct from Introversion, I bought WoGoo direct from 2DBoy, but this particular dev have plenty of cash already. This isn’t some indie dev who requires the support of a devoted fanbase to stay alive.

Furthermore, after the great deal Valve produced in the Orange box they set a precedent for best value high quality games, to then change their price structure this way is pretty out of the blue.

47. Kismet says:

Asking for money more than four weeks earlier without a “beta” seems a bit excessive to me, but at last they’re giving a 10% discount and I guess there will be pre-load, unlike some of the recent “please give me the money in advance because I’m nice” pre-purchases on Steam. And no additional DRM on top of the Steam one to fear, I suppose.

I’m looking ahead to L4D, but I’d prefer to read some more opinion before committing to a purchase. Early access would favour a pre-purchase though, considering that the game release is around the time the next games I’d be interested to pick up will be released.

48. Rosti says:

Worth noting that you get the game approximately 3 days earlier from Steam than the Euro-box; but then if the demo turns out to exist then the cheaper box will likely be the way to go (for me).

49. Cataclysm says:

@The Sombrero Kid

Noooo, I meant its a high price, especially to pay when I don’t have the free time to play the game, at the moment. (Due to MMORPG’s taking up so much time, and the fact I can’t bear to be away from WAR)

… Stop looking at me like that. I’m not addicted. I could stop whenever I want to. I just don’t want to…

… NO YOU ARE!

50. Rob says:

@Ginger Yellow

As a Valve product the odds are almost 100% that you’ll need Steam to install the retail version, and your copy will be linked in as with all their games since HL2.