Steamy Peggle Nights (For Half The Price)

By Alec Meer on October 15th, 2008 at 11:07 pm.

Uniiiiiiiiiiii

The sequel (of sorts) to our favourite ball-based game of last year has been around for a few weeks now, but grumpy, sensible types – myself included – had refused to buy it direct from Popcap, preferring to wait until it showed up in Steam for that vital install-anywhere thingy, and the hope of a lower price. And now it has, which is good news for Peggle fans, but bad news for me as I’m supposed to be working this evening, but instead I’m playing bloody Peggle.

Word on the e-street is that it’s a disappointingly unambitious follow-up to what was one of the landmark casual games of recent times. My inquisitive nosing at the early levels seems to bear this out – there’s some fun humour, but it isn’t anything beyond More Peggle. I’m saddened they didn’t even change the victory music. I love hearing the Ode To Joy as much as the next EXTREME FEVERed man, but I’d hoped to be surprised with something new but similarly melodramatic. Ah well. More Peggle isn’t exactly a bad thing, and at $10 the price is right too – that’s half of what Popcap themselves charge, ludicrously. Plus I’m clinging to the belief this is simply a stop-gap follow-up, and the guys behind the first Peggle are secretly working on something far bolder. I might be a fool, but I’m a fool in love (with Peggle).

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. grey_painter says:

I feel my decision to wait has been justified, the demo convinced me that it was just going to be more peggle and as such £15 seemed a bit steep. Finally something to break me from my San Andreas addiction I picked up when all of Rockstar’s games were half price on steam… Part of me now dreads the steam weekend deal while another part giggles in delight.

For better or worse its the latter part that has my wallet.

2. nabeel says:

Some of the new challenges are so bloody hard ¬___¬

nabeel

3. Ryx says:

You linked “hat popcap themselves charge” instead of “what popcap themselves charge”.

4. FP says:

Arrgh, I’ve already spent way too much money on Steam the last few weeks (and I’m guessing it’s only going to get worse), damn you valve (and Popcap)!

5. FP says:

And why do I have to type my address in every single time I purchase something?

6. Saflo says:

And why do I have to type my address in every single time I purchase something?

So they know where to mail your digital download!

7. Saflo says:

I’m sorry, that was stupid. Anyway, it really is *just* more Peggle, but since there wasn’t enough in the first place, that’s fine. I am a bit disappointed that they didn’t include that one song, the one that makes you go, “Fuck yeah! Peggle!” You know the one I mean.

8. Nero says:

@FP: Yeah it’s annoying, so that’s why I usually pay by PayPal so I don’t have to do all that.

Just got Peggle Deluxe and will probably get this one eventually.

9. SKACE says:

Challenges are too hard. (1 ball to complete level….)

10. Tim says:

I grabbed this as a Halloween present for the wife. She just got a new laptop and will enjoy having a new game on there.

I doubt she cares if it’s more of the same. She just wants to see the pumpkin head guy some more.

11. spd from Russia says:

meh casual game, I got bored with it in under an hr

12. Sam says:

You have to enter your address every time because Steam verifies your credit card billing address location against the address you enter. This is a good thing and helps ensure that people who gain access to your Steam account and/or credit card number can’t instantly spend lots of your money.

13. Confidence interval says:

More Peggle! With Peggle to play, who needs sex?
    (Unfortunately my partner agrees with this statement.)

14. Bobsy says:

Excellent. Now bloody well give us Bookworm Adventures 2: Lex in Austentowne.

15. FP says:

I’m sorry, that was stupid.

Never apologise for stupid!

@Sam
    But couldn’t they offer to store my address on my PC, if someone has access to both my card and my PC then I’m screwed anyway.

16. clovus says:

Can someone explain the appeal of this game? I usually find my tastes are similar to the writers here, but I find the Peggle addiciton confusing. I played the demo and thought that it was cute, but got boring really quickly. Someone explain this game to me.

17. Alec Meer says:

Explaining won’t help. If you don’t like it, you don’t like it. And will be first against the wall come the revolution, obv.

18. clovus says:

Do I still have to be against the wall if I liked World of Goo?

Although, WOG was a bit short… ::quickly covers mouth::

19. Seniath says:

@Alec; no, first against the wall are people who pronounce SQL as ‘sequel’. People who don’t like Peggle are second.

20. clovus says:

I’m up against the wall for “SeQueL” too?? Hey, while we are at it, I’m American, Republican, and, FTW, I voted for Bush….

TWICE!

Is there any way for me to be more up against the wall?

21. MeestaNob! says:

@Seniath
    Absolutely.

Although I do think there should be general acceptance for SQL to be pronounced ‘squirrel’.

22. x25killa says:

Played the original (thank you Steam Weekend Deal!) and extreme peggle. I bet Peggle Nights will get cheaper then $10 imo.

23. Gap Gen says:

“Hey, while we are at it, I’m American, Republican, and, FTW, I voted for Bush….

TWICE!

Is there any way for me to be more up against the wall?”

Well, I guess it was your country you pissed up the wall and not mine, so that’s OK. I mean, the approval rate for Bush at the moment is about 20%, which is good, if a little slow. Like eight years slow.

24. terry says:

Wait, I have been playing peggle daytime edition sometimes into the late evening – so am I allowed to play this during the day or what?

VALVE

25. Fumarole says:

So the download file size is…?

26. Citizen Parker says:

@Seniath Perhaps it’s different in Britain. Here in the US I do a fair number of technical interviews, and we have pretty much two well known insta-disqualifiers:

1. Pronouncing “C#” as “C Pound” instead of “C Sharp”
    2. Pronouncing SQL as anything but “Sequel.”

Really though, we should put everyone against the wall who doesn’t say the full, verbose “Structured Query Language” when discussing it.

Also, Peggle.

27. suibhne says:

How many Peggles does Peggle Nights add up to?

28. Jimmy Mac says:

@suibhne:

I make it three: Peggle, Peggle Extreme and Peggle Nights.