Moving Pictures Of Mirror’s Edge

By John Walker on October 16th, 2008 at 10:58 pm.

See, we're forced to make our own screenshots Dice. Come on, release some more.

I loves me some Mirror’s Edge trailers, even if every time I post one I later find it’s over 3000 years old, recently dug from an archaeological dig. Anyway, look, if it turns out there was some special meeting to which everyone was invited but me, where they showed these trailers to you and you all had an excellent time, and there was probably cake, and free balloons, and I imagine everyone got to do kissing, then you know what? Screw you. Screw you and your stupid private Mirror’s Edge trailer screening parties. I’ve got other, better, more imaginary friends. Trailers below.

First up is a bit of story, telling us about Faith’s training regime.

And then, for fun, they’ve chopped up some video of Faith’s antics interlaced with real-life actual proper people doing proper actual real-life jumping. It’s from the World Freerun Championships held in the Roundhouse in London last month. And not held across the rooftops of Paris, like it should have been. Where are the roots, man?

But you know what I like best about the Mirror’s Edge trailers? The swooshy, bleepy phhwommm noises the DICE logo makes at the start. And yes, I’m okay with that. You should be too.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Kaveman says:

Why must people insist on using game videos?
    It has the worst servers ever. A 2 min video takes 10 mins to load.

2. simonkaye says:

Very exciting, clean, stylised, mod-Europe. And that’s just the logo.

3. Kalain says:

Gamevideos!!! ARRRGGHHH!!! Please use something else as it’s delivery is rubbish. Been waiting for about 10 mins and they are still stop/starting.

4. Darth says:

It looks great, but having given it a shot I’m not convinced by the gameplay. There isn’t much to separate it from a dressed-up 3D platformer, and it retains the irritating old ‘jump-from-exactly-the-right-spot-or-fall-screaming-to-your-doom-and-quickload’.

The controls just didn’t feel…like I was doing anything I guess. You run up to a red object and press X, and the girl does some funky jumping animation. Perhaps it will be more involving with a keyboard and mouse.

Games using anime-style shorts as publicity material seems to be getting more popular.

5. GibletHead2000 says:

Aww man, if you’ve only just seen those then you missed some seriously good cake.

6. A-Scale says:

Why is everyone crying about GV? It works fine for me. Maybe it’s your British servers that are the problem.

7. capital L says:

The Mirror’s Edge protagonist looks very much like one of the members of Atari Teenage Riot. This has probably been noted before, but it just dawned on me.

8. mandrill says:

I’m in the UK and I have no probs with GameVidoes the majority of the time. British servers are not any different from US or European ones AFAIK, they’re all just hardware. It could be something to do with the fact that as soon as these videos go up everyone wants to watch them, so you have to wait in line.

9. ZenArcade says:

DOWN WITH GAMEVIDEOS!

10. sbs says:

I will take one without story, please.

11. qp says:

I have never ever successfully watched a gamevideos video :(

why not link to gametrailers, who have them videos and whom you deeply loved not too long ago?

12. Demikaze says:

That made me laugh, thanks Mr Walker. This game does look fantabulous, but I have decided to eschew all pre-release videos and news so I won’t be disappointed*.

*statement may contain traces of LIE.

13. John Walker says:

None of us here have any problems with GV, and their videos are pleasingly in widescreen without giant black bars.

I suspect your whining and complaining might be causing a blockage in your internet pipes.

14. Aftershock says:

I’ve got no problem with GameVideos…
    sounds like you people need better internet.
    also

I WANT HER SHOES.
    THEY’RE FUCKING AWESOME.

15. MarkP says:

My problem loading the videos is that I block doubleclick.net in my hosts file. Removing that from the hosts file allowed the vids to load without problem

Down Rodeo says:

Ah John, you are hilarity in an RPS-shaped package. And ME still looks like good clean fun.

17. Ben Abraham says:

I need better internet.

18. The Poisoned Sponge says:

Am I the only one to cringe whenever they get people related to a game to play it and give their opinion? I’m sure I saw UFC fighters talking about assassin’s creed before that came out and it was just as awkward. I DON’T WANT TO KNOW WHAT THEY THINK.

Just show me more game.

19. Thiefsie says:

award for cheapest back story animation videos goes too……. ME

20. Daniel Purvis says:

@Thiefsie Yeah, I’m not such a huge fan of the video art-style either.

21. Dracko says:

I love it and find it perfectly appropriate.

Who cares if it’s cheap? What kind of big budget smorgasbord are you expecting?

22. Indian says:

Great game. Revolutionary.

23. futage says:

I too love the way the Dice logo builds.

24. The cancer says:

Just do what we say and use gametrailers ffs.

25. Heliocentric says:

Cakes, balloons, cake balloons, balloon cakes, kisses, cake kisses, kiss cake, balloon kisses, kiss balloons, cake kiss balloons, kiss cake balloons, balloon kiss cakes, balloon cakes kiss, kiss balloon cakes, cake balloon kisses. Also free love.

26. Ian says:

Sometimes, John, people at the meeting were doing kissing WHILE eating cake.

27. aldo_14 says:

What kind of cake?

28. Cerbis Latran says:

Lovely videos! Interesting to hear some actual parkour/free-running practitioners give comments on the game, as well.
    But, John. Can I call you John? Uploaded at 10:58 PM? Don’t you ever -sleep- at RPS? Love the site, keep up the good work. Cheers :D

29. HellFire says:

Well, someone’s a wee bit cranky this morning. ;)

30. Alarik says:

Ugh, terrible animation. And Japanese trailers are really weird – Chinese would be more fitting to the character I would say. Anyway, there is a big problem with the game – I mean, seriously. When you write ME, what does it mean – Mass Effect or Mirror’s Edge?

31. Del Boy says:

Has anyone got any idea how we control this?

If it’s just press a button and you jmp, land, roll and then carry on running it’s going to be one of the most disappointing games ever.

32. Hypocee says:

Reports so far are that there’s an ‘up’ button and a ‘down’ button, and that it’s up for the jump and a carefully timed down for the roll. Hard to see how they could add more interactivity than that. Possible absence of game is first on most people’s list of concerns.

33. phuzz says:

I can confirm it’s a problem with AdBlock, whitelist this page and the videos play, otherwise nothing.
    (I’d rather donate occasionally than have to see ads).

Being able to go under OR over stuff is more degrees of freedom than you get in a racing game for instance, or indeed most FPS’s.
    Of the top of my head I can’t think how you’d expand the controls without making it far too complicated, any ideas?

Okami says:

I absolutely agree with Del Boy. The addition of a button where you shoot your shotgun, kill the generic alien and then continue running would make the game one of the best games evar.

If they could swap the little girl for a big beefy marine, make everything brown and include girls with huge boobs it would be even better.

As for the art style of the trailer: I got more of an Another World vibe from it than an anime one…

35. Del Boy says:

Up and down = jump and land sounds fine.

There should be another ‘command’ to perform a roll if required, a roll would cause less damage than landing flat on your feet from a particularly high jump.

You should also have to press or do something to carry on running smoothly so a jump, land, roll and run would be up, down, X, Y at the right times not just up and down.

36. gaijin says:

Okami – they could cut out the middle marine and just make your character a girl with huge boobs.

She could go and pillage mausoleums or something. You could call the game Mausoleum Pillager! I’m sold.

Okami says:

@ Del Boy: There is a button that let’s you perform a roll – if you use it at the right moment while landing, you perfirn a rolling landing, letting you keep your momentum (very important in this game). I guess it let’s you avoid damage too, though I’m not too sure about it, because I never looked at my health when playing the demo version.

Also you don’t use the face buttons on the joypad, but the 4 trigger buttons. I think one is sprint, one is jump and one roll. I’m not sure what the fourth button was, but it might have been hold/climb.

The game actually is pretty fun and challenging. The challenge in this case coming from quickly finding the perfect path and keeping up your momentum. As long as you manage to stay in motion, you’re able to perform quite amazing

It’s hard to describe the feeling you get from playing it, but there’s this amazing sense of flow that you get into. It’s very rewarding to clear a series of obstacles and maybe even knock out a guard without ever breaking your stride.

38. Del Boy says:

Ah right, didn’t realise you had played it.

The controls were my only real reservation but that sounds pretty much how I had hoped it would be.

39. Nallen says:

Interesting, I find my meh gland has become sensitive to this particular franchise.

40. SlappyBag says:

Old =P

41. Little Green Man says:

I hate Gamevideos…

42. Ophois says:

@Okami:

Was the 4th trigger not the disarm/attack button? I can’t remember the exact layout from my brief 5 minutes with the demo, but 1 trigger was up (jumps and hurdling over obstacles), 1 was down (wall run, crouch, slide), there was the button that put you in to Reaction (bullet) time to let you aim jumps a little better wasn’t there? Damn I should have paid more attention, I was just so stocked to actually play it.

I do remember laughing as I compared my fumbling attempts to get through the level to the PR guy showing it off. Your right about that sense of motion though, the first person view point really pulls you into the experience in the way a 3rd person game doesn’t.

43. Koopa says:

I have problems with gamevideo too with Opera. That’s why I have multiple browsers installed – in case one fails, I try another browser instead of bitching about stuff not working.

44. Morningoil in Singapore says:

John Walker, I think I actually love you. Thank you for helping to me realise that it’s okay to love another man (just so long as there is no inappropriate touching).

Meanwhile, Mirror’s Edge, it look swooshy.

45. Pace says:

You can’t have him! He’s mine! MINE!

46. Dave says:

As a traceur I can confirm that the game seems to be very realistic and gives off the parkour vibe. I would like to see some flips, but the martial arts compensates for it. The only thing left now is to actually play it!