Carrier Command Teaser

By Kieron Gillen on October 18th, 2008 at 3:40 pm.

So where's the Carrier then?
Another one I caught off on forums, and it appears that everyone’s late to it. While we mentioned the game’s announcement, we completely failed to notice that the website had launched back in August and there’s been a teaser on Youtube since around then too. Anyway – Carrier Command: Gaea Mission is due in 2010, comes from Bohemia Interactive and Black Element Software and is being teased like so…

Initial thoughts: that lady has the least likely cleavage in a practical outfit I can remember seeing. It’s as if the concept artist’s inner dialogue was going “Credible military look. Authentic wetsuit. Paramilitary… ah, fuck it, it’s got to have some tits, yeah?”.

Its certainly come a long way though…

For latecomers: Carrier Command was one of those scarily ahead-of-its-time classic that were scattered through the eighties in the UK. We thought we’d never see its like ever again, but – well – we were clearly wrong. Hurrah!

1. Premium User Badge ScruffyLemming says:

That is, what’s known in the business, as a boobie-hole.

2. Ben Abraham says:

When I saw that first helmet, I thought “cylon raider”.

3. Tei says:

I played Carrier Command. I say “play”, but maybe was “grinding for fuel”. Maybe I sould have read the manual…

4. Pags says:

From the website:

“You are the commander of a near-future aircraft carrier of immense power, with many tools and vehicles at your disposal. Landing in an unfamiliar, free-roaming environment, exploration will be key and the thrill of discovery will spur you onward.”

sounds very hostile waters-ish to me, which is no bad thing.

5. Him says:

Hostile Waters sounds very Carrier Command-ish to me.
    Oh those Halcyon days as a little boy, shooting trees with the laser turret on my Carrier… I still remember engaging the enemy carrier (Omega?) off the coast of Storm, dive bombing the blighter with a manta and a cluster bomb. Good times!

6. Heliocentric says:

Running out of things is a great mechanic to create pressure to a game. I remember the excitement i had in desert strike knowing i was trying to save a pow under time pressure and managing my fuel runs. Ea own that right? I hope it manages to surf simulation and realistic

7. noom says:

Eeee! I loved Carrier Command..! Can’t believe they’re updating it. I also quite clearly remember the free audio cassette that came with it, providing a rather glorious rendition of the games theme music (if memory serves me correctly). Wonder if they’ll do the same with this version..? :D

Now if somebody would just give Midwinter the modern update it deserves I’ll be a very happy kitty.

8. hydra9 says:

Ah! Midwinter! I’d love to see a modern remake of that. Lovely snow……..

9. mandrill says:

Hostile Waters was the first remake of Carrier Command This is yet another.

10. Premium User Badge matte_k says:

Bohemia did Operation Flashpoint, if I remember correctly, and ArmA 1 and 2. So, this should be impressive, I hope! Also, Hostile Waters- still in my top 10 games, so if this is even half as good it’ll be worth checking out…

11. Jason says:

Anyway – Carrier Command: Gaea Mission is due in 2009

You’re a bit too optimistic. They’re expecting a 2010 release.

Bohemia Interactive will bring Carrier Command: Gaea Mission to PC and Next Gen Consoles, with an estimated release date of Spring 2010. More details will be announced soon.

12. Him says:

@ matte_k
    It’s not Bohemia developing it, they’ve farmed it out. Hopefully they’ll have a fair amount of oversight to keep the game true to the spirit of the original.

13. Radiant says:

I loved the idea of Carrier Command but I’ll be damned if I knew what I was doing.

14. rektide says:

this game is going to fucking change everything

15. Larington says:

I suspect its too early to make claims about what this game will or won’t do. Time will tell I suppose.

16. Premium User Badge Tunips says:

I like the switch between the planet and the visor. That’s a really neat cut.
    I, for one, have never played, or indeed heard of carrier command. Ne’er the less, this looks pretty cool.

17. LEEDER KRENON says:

no way will it be as good as the speccy version.

18. Donald Duck says:

Hmm. Another swedish developer doing Carrier Command again. The last time was DICE with Battlefield.

19. Donald Duck says:

Mixed that up with the syndicate article. Not swedish then, but still, Battlefield is in spirit an incarnation of CC.

20. Tei says:

If I remenber CC correctly, was somewhat like a Elite,
    + Pirates with RTS elements. It has to be a singleplayer game…. humm.. no?

21. Ergates says:

It’s not as if you’d ever want body-armour directly over your heart…

22. Free Xbox 360 System says:

It looks like a game that I’ll be looking forward to.

23. Daniel Rutter says:

Carrier Command was one of those scarily ahead-of-its-time classic

Yeah, that’s a good description. I remember playing it on my Amiga and thinking that it really needed some sort of cooperative multiplayer mode, preferably set up so that people could switch jobs when there’s nothing to be done at one of the various stations.

You had steering the carrier, its two weapon systems (turreted Giant Polygon Gun plus cruise missiles that shot out of the tail – oh, yeah, and observation drones you could shoot out that way too), damage control, steering the flying Mantas and amphibious Walruses, and building stuff on islands and in the carrier itself.

At the time, two-player cooperative would have been possible over a simple null-modem cable or something, but that would’ve been it. Honestly, you could keep all of the gameplay mechanics exactly the same and just add co-op, and I think you’d have a pretty good game even today.

24. unique_identifier says:

I can only hope they’ll have similar radio chatter in the game.

Also, perhaps the person who designed the body armour was also the one that neglected to add some kind of ejection system to the fighters.

25. Larington says:

I think careful application of the design lessons designers have learned over the past many years will probably do this game very big favours. The interface in that blast from the past video is rather cluttered.

26. CUS says:

Bohemia, developers of the famously bugged Operation Flashpoint and Armed Assault are to develop a remake of a famously tight, well-structured classic strategy game? But they’re not even doing it themselves, just farming it out?

There’s nothing about this which fills me with any hope, except for the the words “Carrier Command”.

27. Tei says:

Forget CC!

Please somehome make a remake of “Agent USA”:

28. TooNu says:

I played this game on the Atari ST and it was great but I never understood what the point of the game was. All I did was build factories and hangars with my Walrus craft, then send out mantas to bomb the shite out of the buildings. Cool game though.

29. Radiant says:

Wait you could build stuff??
    Right…where the hell is my amiga modulator.

30. Arnulf says:

O man! I remember Agent USA! Well, the pirated version (sorry about that)

But I wonder how a remake of Mercenary/Second City would look like. Still got the original disks (5 1/4″ yeah) but no drive to read ‘em.

31. Ergates says:

“The interface in that blast from the past video is rather cluttered”
    Remember this was in the days when 640*480 was high-rez. Interfaces had to be large to be usable.

32. LionsPhil says:

Wait, people? There aren’t supposed to be people. The Mantas and Walrii were remote-controlled—that’s why there was a range limit as well as a fuel one, and a range-extending radar module.

More to the point, it explains why your factories can churn out replacements and ship them to your carrier, without ever running out of meatbags to pilot them.

33. Erlam says:

I really wish FMV’s would never be in stuff like this. Yes, that’s nice, you have FMV’s. Awesome, you have some computer effects.

Can I see the game now please?

34. JamesC says:

I lost months to this game on the Amiga – tried the whole terrible ordeal of Amiga emulation again a few months ago just so I could play this (and other aheadoftheirtimer’s like Warhead, Sword of Damocles etc).

@LionsPhil – yes, it should be robots! Some sort of plot about a rogue AI carrier that you had to hunt down with your own robots.
    Talk about your formative gaming experiences, can’t wait to check this out (or for an easier to use Amiga emulator).

35. Satsuz says:

This “least likely cleavage” problem is only going to get worse. At this rate, I wouldn’t be surprised to see a form-fitting spacesuit with cleavage. “Laws of physics be damned! MORE TITS!”

*sigh*

36. Cataclysm says:

I played the original. Damn it was fun.

37. LionsPhil says:

I’m surprised that this is attracting impractical cleavage ire, when RPGs have been suffering from truly ludicrously insufficient female armour for years. They’re doing well just to keep warm, let alone stopping enemy weaponry.

38. Urael says:

A big publisher is remaking one of gaming’s all-time classics? it’s brought on my very special Game Anticipation Bi-polar disorder – I ‘m currently swinging madly between the two polar extremes of utter delight and sheer terror! What if they get it wrong?!? But what if they get it *right*?

Oh god, oh god….breathe.

Fans of the original game may like to have a look at one man’s own hand-coded attempt to update the formula for modern PCs:

I’ve been following this for a year or two now but the screenies he keeps posting seem to show a fairly advanced state of affairs, much more so than the usual Vapeware. And he’s calling for modellers/skinners to help him get it out the door. Any takers?

39. Premium User Badge harvb says:

If it’s anything whatsoever like it’s predecessor in terms of gameplay, this will consume my life and I’ll never see my wife and kids again. I actually don’t have any kids, but if I did, I’d never see them again.

40. Pod says:

Some guy has been working on an OpenGL remake of this for about 10 years now.

Sucks to be him :(

41. roryok says:

its a bit galactica-ee at the beginning… but then WHAM. SPLURGE.

“I am a pile of donkey droppings” it seems to whisper.

Anyone here unfortunate enough to play Breed? It reminds me of that.

42. N says:

Not only did I play Breed but someone actually bought the game in a box and gave it to me as a birthday present. Epic win of a box, epic fail of a game. I guess that’s what intrigued me so much about it, you got your vehicles, you got your weapons, you got your whatever the hell you’d want, but still the game is mostly meh… Would make an interesting case study…

And yes, respekta to those who played carrier when it was plunged into the world, I played a few years ago for study purposes mainly. Antaeus Rising was quite better(no, not only visually), and a very respectful spiritual sequel; loved it. The characters really cussed when the shit hit the fan as I remember, hehehe. Nice ballsy touch for that time…

As far as this little teasy weasy goes… gameplay footage would do nicely, until then all I can say is… that chick needs the help of a skilled hair stylist asap…

43. TychoCelchuuu says:

That guy committed fratricide!