Alan Wake Me Up Before You Go Go (Show a trailer)

By Kieron Gillen on October 21st, 2008 at 5:55 pm.

[Wot - Ed]

Gamershyde are the first to put up a load (if six counts of a load) of images of the mysterious Alan Wake, so they get linked. Which is pretty good – but then 1UP actually got an embedded version up, which means they get linked too and the petty little video thrown beneath the cut, plus some frame-by-frame analysis of a bloke running around in the dark with a torch.

00:01: Rating Pending, apparently. C’mon. It’s going to be an R-one, so just stick it there.
00:04: A man, in profile, running carrying a torch, breathing heavily. At night. Wearing a trenchcoat. Let’s hope he’s not up to no good.
00:05: Actually, it’s Alan Wake doing the heavy breathing. Let’s hope we’re not going to see Little Alan.
00:06: Exciting zoom pan, because this is a horror game, I think.
00:08: Microsoft Game Studios written in the sort of font that makes you think of the classes side of horror films and/or school reports by the kid trying to get extra marks for presentation.
00:014: Voice-over talking about how idylic as we pan over wooded, isolated town. Actually, very pretty in a Twin Peaks meets The Shining kind of way.
00:27: This really is very pretty. Who made this again?
00:29: Ah yes, Remedy Games in that professional font.
00:36: Alan Wake needs to shave. I wonder if Leigh fancies him? I would suspect… no.
00:39: “Alan Wake – I thought you looked familiar. I’m your biggest fan.” says the mentally subnormal waitress.
00:44: Lots of little bits of fragments showing scenes which say something or another. I hope we can skip past all the cut-scenes. I don’t do it because they annoy me though. I do it to make everyone who works on cut-scenes to feel as if their whole life was a waste.
00:47: Extreme close up on a tap which drops water. And then goes into slow motion.
00:48: Voice over in scary girl’s voice: There is a miracle. I think anyway.
00:49: Sped up footage of the town which normally means trouble’s afoot.
00:52: And it’s night and Alan’s off with a torch again. This means evil’s afoot. “I wrote the story,” he says.
00:57: More pans, more darkness, more torch, more voiceovers saying things like “You’re making it up”.
00:59: In a high-noon esque shot, we pan over to Alan Wake’s side showing he has a revolver hanging there. This implies shooting may be imminent.
01:04: Some voiceover about “your words will change things” and then a zoomyzoomyzoomy pan across all the map. Alan Wake is cinematic. yes.
01:06: Seriously, this pan is FUCKING ZOOMY. We end up close on Alan Wake running away…
01:08: FROM AN EXPLOSION!
01:12: We’re in the “Everything goes wrong” section now. A guy with blood all over his face and tie. Alec, my girlfriend and myself all got blood on our faces at a wedding recently. We don’t know how, but one person disappeared from the party and has never been seen again. Well, except when Alec pooped them out, and that was only by Alec.
01:13: Blood covered guy goes “He’s right behind you!”
01:15: Alan Wake shoots at something! Hurrah!
01:17: Zoom into Alan Wake’s head. And then we see some pale ghosty lady thing.
01:21: And what seems to be her voice drifting away saying “Alan – Wake up” over the Logo of Alan Wake sliding onto the screen. Which hangs around for a bit.
01:27: Post title teaser of Alan, surrounded by a load of shadowy figures, pointing a gun around panickedly while they whisper “You called us here”. Which reminds me of Walker at his Birthday party last year when he seemed upset we all turned up and had a lovely time.
01:28 And we’re back to logos.

Initial thoughts: Absolutely nothing in the trailer looked as if it was actually controllable play. Which implies too many cut-scenes for my liking, guv. Extremely attractive, however and… well, the trailer doesn’t really sell me on its writing either. It’s an extremely polished, beautifully selected mass of cliches. We’ll see.

, , .

1. Pags says:

Remedy resort to cliche?! Surely not! I’m genuinely looking forward to this game, even though I don’t have the slightest idea how it will play.

2. cyrenic says:

It’s going to take a lot more than that to get me interested in a Vista exclusive game.

3. The Dark One says:

The animation looks pretty stilted in that trailer. How far away is this game supposed to be?

4. meeper says:

Finally, more Alan Wake goodness. I wonder why it took them so long to release another trailer.

5. PHeMoX says:

It’s Vista-exclusive? Then I am not interested.

6. teo says:

Funny how expectations change. I used to think this was the best looking game ever and now the characters look wonky

7. Jetsetlemming says:

Thank you for describing what happened, becuase the motherfucking video won’t fucking play. Fuck Game Videos, jesus fucking christ. Even when I go their site and try to load the piece of shit there it won’t go.

8. Jetsetlemming says:

Oh, of course, works in IE. Fuck you, Gamevideos. Fuck you [i]so hard.[/i]

9. aerone says:

Alan Wake – Exclusively for Windows Vista and Playstation 4.

Or maybe they’ll just turn it into a CGI film.

10. SwiftRanger says:

MGS being the publisher doesn’t really comfort me.

11. M_the_C says:

Finally some new information.

I liked the trailer, except for the freakishly long-necked waitress.

12. Gregory Weir says:

13. Simon Jones says:

Hmmm…I’d be more excited if it promised a more cerebral kind of horror, more akin to The Shining. The first half of the trailer looks great, with the quirky townsfolk and unusual setting. The second half looks like a generic, low-brow Hollywood horror movie.

Hopefully the game itself will be more subtle. An American Gothic slow burn creepiness would work wonderfullly.

Also: character animation is a little dubious. It has that awkward combination of highly detailed motion capture for the body and a zombie-like lack of acting for the face. :/

14. Stuk says:

I’m not going to upgrade to Vista just for one stupid game from the people who made Max Payne (….wait, that was a *very good* game….I might upgrade…) and Max Payne 2…oh actually, no I won’t.

Joking aside, Max Payne 2 was ok.

…and I hate Game Videos too

15. Gap Gen says:

The Strong Bad interview videos are better. Possibly even better than the game as well.

16. Bob Arctor says:

MP1 and 2 were awesome.

That looks ok, but the waitress reminded me of a Sim.

17. Tarquin says:

Clamber off the gv cock guise.

18. Meat Circus says:

Oh, woo. It doesn’t play.

Oh, it’s FUCKING GAMEVIDEOS. There’s a shock.

Gamevideos: Fuck right off. kthx.

19. rocketman71 says:

I hope the suitcase Remedy is getting from Microsoft is really full of cash, because they are going to sell shit making it Vista only. Remember the also “Vista exclusive, no it can’t be programmed for XP” Shadowrun?

Also (you betcha), after all this time, I’m getting really disinterested in this game, and the trailer didn’t help at all. The lightning was ok, but the animations sucked. And the gameplay?. Could they show even the tiniest bit?. It’s what I look for in games, you know?.

To be a bit positive, here’s a gametrailers link for the GV haters:

20. rocketman71 says:

Oh, and RPS gods, if the edit button is gone for good, couldn’t we at least get a preview button?.

Thank you!

21. A-Scale says:

Vista exclusive?

I’LL TAKE IT!

22. Pags says:

23. Steelfist says:

“As for Vista exclusivity, will they still have that? Maybe it’s only DX10 compatible, if so we might finally see what DX10 is actually capable of…”

or Microsoft paid them oodles of money which was the kick in the arse the team needed to start developing the damn game…

24. hydra9 says:

So Alan Wake is a horror writer whose words are so mighty that his stories come to life?

That ol’ cliche has never been good, and never will be.

25. Skurmedel says:

Think it looks great actually. I don’t get the argument that it’s cliché, that could be applied to just about every game that comes out.

26. simonkaye says:

He’s clearly inside his own head, in critical condition in a hospital somewhere. Making the title the worst video game pun in… well, in a few weeks.

27. rocketman71 says:

“I hereby take back what I said because apparently it’s cool to hate on Alan Wake now. Let’s hope they don’t decide to ship it with SecuRom or the RPS readership is going to shit bricks of pure hate.”

And also have CliffyB recommending it. That would complete the circle of hate.

Or perhaps consolize it. You know, let it be one of those theoretically-for-PC games in which in options they let you map “blue button”, “red button” and so on to keys ;)

28. James Lyon says:

“Petty little video”? Shurely some mistake!

29. Grey_Ghost says:

He’s in a coma, having a nightmare! Wonder if I’m right.

30. Malagate says:

@hydra9, unless nostalgia has greatly distorted my perception, “Into the Mouth of Madness” was a totally awesome movie about that very cliche, and it was awesome. To be fair it does have Sam Neill in it, he is usually the win factor in any movie.

So looking at this game, looks great, which is a shame as I can guarantee it will never run on my PC. Doubly so if it is indeed a Vista exclusive. I’ll just continue playing games that are almost 10 years old, oh and new Valve titles which seem to work on anything.

31. James Lyon says:

Actually, having watched it now, it could go both ways.

32. Pags says:

On a Remedy-related note, has anyone seen the Max Payne movie yet? I decided not to watch it long ago out of principle but after the severe critical thrashing it got, I was curious to see if it’s really as bad as people say.

33. fifpro says:

@Pags

The movie isn’t that bad, but mostly ‘meh’ worthy.

34. MeestaNob! says:

The facial animation is a worry, considering this has been in development ages and is a predominantly a story driven game.

35. Dreamhacker says:

No, Im having a hard time believing this will ever be released.

36. Monk says:

This looks like a trailer for some B-list movie rather than a game. Either way, I’ve lost interests because the Vista-only crap.

The Sombrero Kid says:

anyone who says they’re not interested cause it’s a vista exclusive will change thier tune pretty quick if it gets 10/10

(or should)

38. AsubstanceD says:

Max Payne took forever and look what a gem that turned out to be! I’ll give them time if they end up delivering because the idea behind this game is really good and though some of the graphics are not amazing other parts are beautiful and the art direction seems right. Also good to see a trailer that does not give away the whole game… unless they just haven’t made anymore yet.

39. Ian says:

I don’t know whether I’m interested but that’s been the case since announcement and initial hype material.

40. Monk says:

@The Sombrero Kid
    Halo was hailed as the best thing evar and that didn’t get me to buy an Xbox. So I doubt I’ll endure using Vista just for a game with a 10/10 review score.

Richard Beer says:

I was really interested in this 2 years ago when I bought my dual core thingummies. You’d think they’d have had time to create a little in-game footage in the intervening period. Didn’t we already see the zoomy-panny stuff in the tech demo they did all that time ago? What’s changed?

42. aldo says:

Is it just me, or are the people animations (especially lips) pretty poor? Maybe I’ve been spoiled by HL2.

43. Arnulf says:

Hmm. Stephen King-y… somehow.

44. simon says:

2. Vista haters are a bunch of twats who live in the past, their mouths (and fingers) endlessly regurgitating someone else’s opinion that vista is gaming shite, without their brains getting involved at all. If you think that vista slows down your gaming to unacceptable levels then you can’t afford to be a PC gamer.

45. M_the_C says:

‘Darnit, M_the_C, don’t be guardedly complimentary! Everybody, make sure not to be seen saying anything nice, or the popular kids won’t think you’re cool.’

Fine, it’s going to be awesome. Despite the long-necked waitress the character models are going to be adequate, because the story will add so much colour. It will not degenerate into a last section alien\mutant\zombie clichéd ending and the graphics will be on par with Crysis, but run on my Grandma’s microwave.

Better?

@simon
    Whilst I don’t agree with not having Vista meaning you can’t afford to keep up with PC gaming (being a low-budget gamer myself), I agree with everything you say about Vista.

When I bought my computer several months back, I had to make the decision. Either I could go with XP, or I could pay £10 more, be able to take full advantage of DX10, be 64bit compatible and be future proof for at least a year longer.

I still don’t recommend people upgrade from XP, but when you next need a new OS there is nothing to really hold you back.

46. Jetsetlemming says:

It’s not going to be DX10 exclusive, because it’s being simultaneously developed for the DX9.0c Xbox 360.

47. Erlam says:

“1. How much do videogames cost to make these days? The same, if not more than, a major Hollywood production? Hollywood wouldn’t put up with second-rate acting, so why should gamers? What can I say, but Al Wake looks like amateur hour at the YMCA.”

48. NoNamePls says:

You forgot about GTA4 and MGS4. Those games cost more than USD100million each.

49. Cerbis Latran says:

I’m still excited over this game! Good-looking, possibly innovative mechanics, interesting story and what seems to be a fresh take on the horror genre. The fact that it’s made by Finnish Remedy will probably lend it a tone much different from similar American-developed horror titles.
    Honestly, when’s the last time you can say you’ve played an European horror title set in a rather open environment, using light to stay alive?

Now, for a whole bunch of techy stuff. To this day I still hear people bashing on Vista for the sole reason that it is Vista, all the updates, service packs and improved drivers be damned. We heard the exact same complaints of XP when it came out in 2002! with people woving to stay true to Windows 98 or NT 4.0 in light of performance problems and incompatibility. It did take six years of updates and newer, faster hardware for XP to reach the point where it is today, while it took Vista only about 18 months to reach the level of polish and quality of XP. That’s not even touching on the security advances made in Vista which are literally impossible to do in XP and not even mentioning the more robust and efficient graphics system in place which literally has saved my work by not crashing the computer when a graphics driver acted up.

As for the Xbox 360, it’s not “DirectX 9.0c” as much as it’s a DirectX-like programming environment.
    For instance, the “tesselator” unit in the Xbox 360 is not the same as the tesselator unit in DirectX 10-capable graphics cards, which is every card since the Geforce 8-series and Radeon HD 2000 series.
    Much of the technology developed for the Xbox was later ported over to Windows XP and Vista such as the audio and game controller systems.
    DirectX 10 itself was first concieved in 2002-2003, I believe, and encompasses a very lengthy and in-depth discussion between Microsoft and the entire games and graphics industry of what was desired and needed in tomorrow’s games. This initial discussion led to a long and thorough development time which resulted in a clean, useful API with significantly less overhead compared to previous versions.
    Simply put, DirectX 10 enables you to do the same thing in less time, so to speak, than DirectX 9, allowing you to fill the “rest” with other things, which allows for much more detailed and fancy graphics.

All in all, DirectX 10 is not Xbox 360, Vista is not something the dog hocked up on the kitchen table, and anyone who says anything to the contrary should sit down and play with a properly updated Vista and see for themselves what’s what instead of following the anti-hype.

I have used Vista daily for the last six months, and going back into XP for anything feels about as unappealing like overcooked broccoli.
    And don’t frget. Games are entertainment. Scary, sexy, happy, funny and odd. Enjoy them instead of bickering about them!

50. Y3k-Bug says:

@Erlam – Games don’t cost more than movies. Not even close. I think the most expensive game ever made (at least as of last year or so) was 70 million, and that was Shenmue. The new Superman movie cost ~325 million dollars.

Most expensive game ever made is GTA 4 at $100 million.

Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/gta-iv-most-expensive-game-ever-developed

The cost of Superman Returns is a one off exception in the biz, as it went through many, MANY years in pre-production, where WB studios was paying numerous writers handsome sums of money to have cracks at different scripts, as well as “pay or play” contracts. These stipulate that if you sign an actor for a role in a movie, whether the studio ends up making that film or not, they still have to pay the actor what they would have paid them had it been made.

The cost of the Superman Returns film, not counting all of the nonsense from the other canceled versions of it, clocks in at $209 million.

Source: http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117952909.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

The only film I can think of that even comes close to Superman Returns is The Dark Knight at about $150 million. All films fall well short of that, usually in the $60 to $120 range.