Total War: The Campaign Map

By Jim Rossignol on October 24th, 2008 at 8:32 am.

This latest trailer for Creative Assembly’s 18th-century strategise ‘em up shows off the fancy new campaign map, where your turn-based exploits are now even more intricate that ever. The footage shows off the increased depth of empire-building, with trade-routes, politicking, resource-controls, and your murderous agent fellows. If intrigued, why not read our interview with the lead designer chap?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Nuyan says:

Looks awesome, think I saw the French revolution there as well.

2. Fede says:

Yep, looks great.
    I wonder which other areas will be on the campaign map right from the start.

3. Po0py says:

This game is really starting to look likes it raising the bar. Can’t wait.

4. cHeal says:

Now I’m interested!

The Campaign map looks great, they better have some proper diplomacy in this game.

I am wondering how democracy will work in this game, surely with the player acting as a permanent dictator, democracy and the revolutions which proceeded its establishment are pretty meaningless?

5. StalinsGhost says:

Looking brilliant as always. Can’t wait to get my hands on this one.

6. Kanakotka says:

Looks great, but i hope they really have some upgrades to the system itself, it got rather repetive in the earlier games.

7. BoltingTurtle02 says:

Wowsers. ’tis a pretty thing it is.

8. BoltingTurtle02 says:

Sorry about the double post, but I did just notice that the wall collapse in the siege battles still looks the same, which is the only opportunity for graphical shiney they have missed. A bit dissapointing on one hand, but it lets me know that they are showing this trailer for gameplay, not just the intense amounts of pretty.

9. fanciestofpants says:

Can’t wait. Had hoped for more ‘unlocked’ areas in the world, but the new area is still huge, so no biggie.

Yay for more Total war!

10. jalf says:

Aw, I can’t watch the vid here, because the computers at uni don’t like fancy flash content. I miss the old MTW/shogun campaign maps though. So nice and uncluttered. Total War does not need a Civ minigame. The campaign map is just for setting up spectacular battles, dammit! Please tell me they’ve streamlined it a bit compared to MTW2.

Also mandatory comment about hopefully improved unit AI here.

Didn’t they say in an earlier interview that your government basically replaced the royal family from earlier games?

11. MeestaNob! says:

Looks fantastic. I might get Shogun out again for a couple of months while I wait for this.

12. Rosti says:

See, now I REALLY want this. Waiting months to paint the map pink for Britain is mildly upsetting but I’ll forgive them for teasing me if the game lets me call a country Victoria Regina (after our fair Queen, obviously).

[Also also, is the Preview bit a half-way house for our poor friend the edit function? Either way, I approve. Well done Hive Mind, you win again.]

13. Morte says:

With the emphasis on agents and resources, I hope they make them better this time. They were the weakest link in Rome Total War and for Medieval 2 they made them more numerous rather than better, which reduced the overall quality of the game.

I also hope we see a bit less of the “you need a city of 12000 people before you can set fire to pigs to scare elephants” school of design.

Heck, I just hope they make it moddable. I’ve always found Total War conversion mods way more satisfying than the original games.

14. Mystic Smeg says:

I hope there will be the ability to win via non-military means, its previously got rather unbelievable and very boring very quickly steamrolling across the map.

15. Bema says:

The units on the map look a tad boring. They better have some animations even when they’re stationary.

Otherwise, my longing for this game has just doubled! Let’s hope it’s better than Medieval II.

16. Poita says:

I’m still playing RTW. Just the battles not the campaign which made me dizzy with all the clicking.
    I really love the drama and challeng of historical battles in single player but they never do enough, just handful. I hope they have loads.

I agree about the wall collapse. Looks no better than RTW castle walls collapsing.

17. ohnoabear says:

I’ve not played a Total War game since the original Shogun, but this sounds a bit like Europa Universalis with real time combat. Can anyone who’s played the more recent versions tell me if it’s got at least a fraction of EU’s depth?

18. Duke says:

Yes! At last Sweden shall rule the world!

19. jonfitt says:

The campaign does look better, with each successive game it has gained depth and strategic options.

However, I find myself doing less and less of what I really liked about TW, which is fighting epic battles. The campaign map gives a battle significance, but I find myself thinking “I need to get this siege over with so I can move on to my next target.”

20. Dood says:

“increased depth”? I’m amazed!

21. Ginger Yellow says:

Aren’t these star forts just going to replicate the siege problem with Mediaeval 2? I thought the whole point of moving buildings/resources out of the cities was to reduce the proportion of sieges.

22. MetalCircus says:

French revolution?

I’M SOLD!

This game really appeals to the history nerd in me i think.

23. Mo says:

My problem with every Total War after Shogun was that they all lacked the awesome amount of atmosphere that Shogun had. Because the setting was so small/concentrated, the “Feudal Japan” atmosphere was very strong in Shogun.

24. Esteban and Gil (Heel) says:

This looks amazing, unfortunatley it won’t be out b4 christmas so I can’t get it until my B-day, amazing graphics anf finally we get to go the the americas, AOE was getting boring when there was no turned based campaign.

Comment on this story