Grand Theft Auto 4 Inbound For PC

By Jim Rossignol on October 27th, 2008 at 11:19 am.

Grand Theft Auto 4 is set to appear on our boxy electronic workhorses on the 18th of November (21st in Europe, mysteriously). I wonder how many of you will be getting this on PC? Did anyone miss out on the consoles and actually wait for the PC version? I’d find it hard to argue against this being one of the best games this year, and so I’m genuinely glad it’s going to hit the PC – with “newly expanded multiplayer” – this side of Christmas. But it does beg the question: where are we going to find to fit this in around everything else that’s coming out on the PC this year? A tough conundrum, I know…

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Professor says:

Ah, screw GTA IV. I’ve already got Far Cry 2, Dead Space, Left 4 Dead, King’s Bounty and Mirror’s Edge to play.

A lame and quite frankly insulting console port is none of my concerns or interests.

2. Mike says:

I’ll be getting this. I don’t have a console, but I rented it out on my brother’s 360. It’s good, but not great. The only reason I’m getting it is multiplayer.

3. Meat Circus says:

I’d find it easy to argue against it being one of the best games of the year. Regardez:

“It wasn’t”.

Simple.

4. Bilocationist says:

Played a bit on 360 (don’t own or wish to own a console myself. Not being anti-console or anything, just not my thing…).

Been waiting for this on PC, looking forward to it, should be good.

5. Andrew Wills says:

I’ll be waiting a while to grab this. Already got Fallout 3 and Left 4 Dead to keep me occupied, and I suspect the latter will keep my occupied well past Christmas. I do want GTAIV, but as it’s been out on consoles for so long, it doesn’t feel new to me, and as such, I’m not keen on paying full price, or running straight out to grab it on day one.

6. Heiocentric says:

Yunno, the multi-player has already been done on mods.

I’ll get it cheap next year, looks quite fun.

7. Thirith says:

Insulting console port? What’s insulting about it, especially seeing how it’s getting a number of improvements (although mostly of a cosmetic nature)? Or is this the “consoles got it first so it sucks” sort of sulking?

8. vbigiani says:

I’ll get once it drops below $50 on Steam, if rumor is it’s a competently done port.

9. ChaosSmurf says:

I doubt I’ll play this unless someone gets it for me or I happen to come across some way of acquiring it with limited or 0 expenditure – it just isn’t high enough on “THE LIST”.

(however, it does have an awesome acronym to go along with RA3, FO3 and L4D)

10. RC-1290'Dreadnought' says:

I waited for the pc release because GTA is a pc game.

11. BC says:

I tried so hard to wait, but then the 360 price started to drop and I couldn’t help myself :(

12. SKACE says:

I bought it on XBOX so Rockstar wouldn’t see my money again….

13. Jay says:

Anyone know if this is hitting Steam?

14. Kalain says:

I’ll probably pick this up around Christmas, I’ve still got Far Cry 2 to do and the, slightly disappointing, Dead Space to finish off.

15. ChaosSmurf says:

@Jay – can’t imagine it wouldn’t …. eventually. But it might not be there on release.

16. Kismet says:

If there are no surprises on the terms of use front and reviews don’t give me any significant reason not to, I’ll probably pick this one up, at very last to listen to Lazlow talk radio.

My shopping list for autumn/winter 2008, at last in terms of new, triple-A retail releases is probably way shorter than most others’ though, I’m almost done already ’til 2009 (Left 4 Dead, Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir, A Vampyre Story, So Blonde and King’s Bounty: The Legend – if Impulse or Steam get it on their catalogues – are the new releases I’m keeping an eye on for what remains of this year).

17. Optimaximal says:

I don’t know why, but I just can’t generate any sort of enthusiasm for the game. Whether it’s the recycled setting, unlikable main character (nothing can even remotely touch Tommy Vercetti) or the fact they’re releasing into a crowded window, I dunno.

18. Rob Lang says:

Not got a console capable of GTA4 so have been waiting to run it on the PC. Even had to reinstall GTA:SA to get my fix. It’s been too long.

mickiscoole says:

I’ve managed to avoid all media and wiki pages of GTA so far so my GTA IV experience wouldn’t be ruined in any way. I even turned down an offer from a friend to play it on his PS3 for fears that playing it would spoil something for me.

Best part is, that it comes out a few days after my last uni exam for this semester, so I’ll have all the free time in the world to play this, Left 4 Dead and Tomb Raider: Underworld.

20. Pavel says:

Anyone else windering how stupid Rockstars must be to release both GTA4 and Bully for PC at the same time, and at the same time about 20 other AAA blockbuster titles come out?

As for playing it, I will play it…later.

21. Adam Hepton says:

I waited for it to come out on PC. I don’t have a 360 or PS3, which helps. I have precious little time to play games now, so have to cherry pick which ones I bother with. Seeing as I’ve lost hours of my life on the previous GTAs, this is one of them. I’ll probably only buy this and FM2009 before the end of the year, and might pick up Left 4 Dead once I’ve done with these.

22. egg says:

I don’t have a 360, mostly because I like my PC better. I’ve being waiting for this game for quite a while, but I don’t know if my PC is up to the task, so I wouldn’t be surprised if I only picked it up on early ’09 after the proper PC upgrades.

But then again, I already pre-purchased Left 4 Dead and only recently found out its minimum requirements – which may lead me to upgrade my PC before planned. A PC which will be able to run GTA 4. Hot damn. :D

23. Thrawny says:

I preferred Saints Row 2 tbh, it was all kooky and crazy like GTA used to be, GTA4 was a bit bland and empty by comparison.

I got both on my Hexbox.

24. AbyssUK says:

If the multiplayer is done right on the pc I’ll buy it, even though I have a 360 and GTA IV.. I don’t like Xbox Live seriously its awful… Also it’ll rock so hard over LAN

25. Brian says:

I mirrored Mickiscool’s actions. I adore GTA games and can’t wait to devour it in full on the best platform. I just bought Bully on Tuesday and could hardly put it down, finishing it yesterday. My appetite for Rockstar is officially whetted.

26. teo says:

I don’t have a HDTV so I don’t feel the need to go out and buy a 360 just to pay even more for games when I can’t afford all the ones I want for PC anyway.

The hype for this game was ridiculous, so it’ll be interesting to play it outside the context of that (I mean just look at its metacritic, it’s just pathetic). I hope I didn’t get too much of it spoiled though

27. Valentin Galea says:

A general sense of “meh” has taken over GTA4 it seems…

28. KindredPhantom says:

I have been waiting for this to come out on the PC as i do not own a next-gen console. But until recently i didn’t realise that so many games that i’m interested in are released around the same time. I am currently playing Far Cry 2 and when i finish it i will likely be moving onto Left4Dead.
    So perhaps it may be a game i pickup mid-late December/early 2009, if rockstar were to delay the game to around that time i’m sure it will do a lot better in sales.

dog says:

any word on what multiplayer will actually involve? i’m mainly fishing to see if theres a possibility to play with a few friends on a LAN…

i can envisage 3 or 4 players doing a bank job and getaway or somesuch against the AI cops could make a great alternative to left4Dead in LAN matches this winter…

30. Tarn says:

Having played it on PS3 and experienced the shockingly rubbish framerate, I’ve been waiting dutifully for the PC version. I’m hoping it’ll run similarly smoothly to GTA:SA (which was also shockingly stuttery on the PS2).

GTA:SA was also vastly better on PC thanks to the mouse aiming, so hopefully GTA4 will benefit in a similar manner, although I’ve read some previews that state that it’s far better on a 360 pad, which is a bit odd. Perhaps that’s just because the journos doing the previewing have already played it for months on 360/PS3 and are too used to that to use keyboard/mouse properly?

I’d rather not have to buy a 360 pad to get the best out of it, especially as gunfights in the PS3 version were every bit as awkward as I expected them to be on a pad.

31. Strelok says:

Easily the most overhyped game in recent years.
    Played this on the PS3. Repetitive missions, no checkpoints and no restart on missions (need to drive/walk/whatever all the way to the mission start if you fail – hi, I am the year 2008), annoying tamagotchi “friends” calling you all the time and whining for attention, forcing you to lose “faction” with them if you ignore them, uninteresting characters (and too many of them; tiny mobster boss, small mobster boss, not-so-small mobster boss, bigger mobster boss, biggest mobster boss: they are all the same). I only finished it due to my stubbornness.

Gervais’ standup comedy, the nicely done cinematics and the pleasant driving mechanics pretty much the only redeeming features. Too bad really, cause the city is indeed quite spectacular and could have been the foundation of a better game.

Morph says:

I don’t own a next gen console myself, so haven’t played GTA4. But from hearing people talk about it, it seems to lack the fun of San Andreas (which is my favourite in the series).

Depends how much Fallout etc. occupy me over winter, I might just wait a bit till it’s cheaper.

33. Urael says:

Sadly, I fear my 6-year old PC won’t even play this on the lowest settings; she’s had a hard year with games as her ailing AGP port just can’t cut it any more. I’m therefore planning to get a new machine but this won’t happen quickly. I haven’t decided if I’m going to buy from a retailer or assemble my own this time around.

Sorry, Rockstar, guess we’ll have to wait until sometime in 2009 to shake hands

34. Man Raised By Puffins says:

Currently my game of the year this, although Fable 2 is pushing it bloody hard at the moment. Can’t say I’ll be picking it up for the PC as well though.

@ Optimaximal: Vercetti was likeable? That git almost ruined the game for me.

35. Tom says:

GTA IV single player got a bit old for me a while ago. Roughly around San An – however the multiplayer mod was a freakin’ laugh so I’m thinking this may be worth picking up for that alone.

36. Dolphan says:

Gameplay questions aside, Niko Bellic is probably one of the best, most human characters ever realised in a computer game. Sometimes I’m half-convinced people maul games just because they got high review scores.

Also, it does have instant-mission restarts. And you don’t have to walk or drive anywhere you don’t want to outside of missions – that’s what taxis are for.

37. subedii says:

I’ve never actually played a GTA game before. Oh sure I’ve tried them, but the emphasis on being a juvenile criminal was never really my thing.

The recent trailers though depicted this as being a more story led experience and for some reason I’ve become a lot more interested in the game and the main character, he just seems more sympathetic than the previous hooligans that had been the series’ main protagonists.

38. James G says:

I enjoyed the pre-GTA 3 games in the series, but can’t warm to the newer incarnations. I tried playing San Andreas, but the atmosphere alienated me, and I couldn’t help feel uncomfortable with the stereotypes presented, even if the game was attempting to satirise them.

39. nabeel says:

I’ve been waiting for this, so I will be playing – though perhaps not on release.

nabeel

40. Yhancik says:

It won’t run on my PC, otherwise I might be interested (and no, I don’t have a console).

Not overly enthusiast, though… I never really got into GTA games… missions usually bores me, and I prefer to mess around… more a toy than a game to me. But an impressive, gigantic toy :p

41. Strelok says:

@Dolphan:

When a game is reviewed as “the Citizen Kane of gaming” expectations scale accordingly. And if Niko is “one of the best, most human characters ever realised in a computer game” then I can only weep for gaming.

And, yeah, I used taxis exclusively towards the end, which only underlines the problem. Which leads to another funny (minor but curious) point: it is better to DIE in this game, than get BUSTED (you lose less money that way). Talk about realism.

42. Meat Circus says:

GTA has been stuck in a diminishing returns death spiral since Vice City, which was the last ace GTA game.

San Andreas was overwrought and unbalanced, and GTA IV is drab with a story that degenerates with each mission.

43. Jim Rossignol says:

Dismissing the GTA games, particularly this one, is ludicrous. Meat: I accept that you have dubious tastes – hell, most of us do – but I think you’re just being stupid and contrary now.

44. Arnulf says:

I have Vice City. I love GTA:VC. Especially since I got a C64, and the beginning of VC is just so wonderfully done.

Anyway. GTA4 is a step up. Definitely. I can only recommend this. And I played through it twice (2nd time because of that special achievement.)

The curious thing is. I got me a cheap XB360 because of Braid (and Castle Crashers). And one additional incentive was GTA4. Of course now my XB360 has the big Freezing after switch-on. And my PC is over 4 years old and probably not even able to load GTA4.

I need a new PC.

45. John Walker says:

GTA4’s the only one I’ve really liked. I’ve recognised how accomplished they all are, but 4 was the first where I cared about what happened. It’s interesting how VC captures what some people want GTA to be, and 4 does the same for others, but few share the common ground.

46. aldo says:

I preordered GTA4 on pretty much the day it was announced for PC. I’ve always loved the series, and the appeal of raising chaos in a recognisable version of NY was too much to resist.

47. Jerricho says:

Oh I’ve been waiting for this one for a long time. I don’t own any consoles and I have no interest in owning any of them (except maybe a DS for sheer dinky cuteness).

As I’ve just purchased Multiwinia (+Darwinia Free for extra W!n), am still playing through World of Goo (which is choc full of joy) and recently received a copy of GalCiv2: Endless Universe (thanks RPS) I don’t know when I’d have time to play GTA or Dead Space (which I’m increasingly interested in) or Mirror’s Edge, or FarCry2, FallOut3 or X3:Terran Conflict and still work/eat/sleep. I’m not getting anymore games until Christmas. GTAiV is on that list, of course.

Though, if I was unemployed and had no social life I’d be having a wonderful two months full of murder, madness and general mayhem… though mostly out of frustration at not being able to afford the games.

Roll on Winter-een-mas.

RLacey says:

I know I’ll end up getting it at some point, and it might make a Christmas wish-list, but I’m not going to rush out and buy it on day of release.

49. GibletHead2000 says:

I thought PC gaming was supposed to be dead?

50. Bobsy says:

GTA 2 was great. Best explosions of 1998, although Freespace came a close second.