Call of Duty: World At War: Hands On And Chat-talk

By Kieron Gillen on October 28th, 2008 at 1:55 pm.

This is turning into a link-to-stuff-we’ve done day, I know. Apologies, but the last minute organisation (i.e. All the organisation) for this evening’s Thinkosium is devouring the day. Still – here’s the freshly published piece I wrote for Eurogamer where I interviewed Producer Noah Heller and wrote a little about my impressions. Since I wrote it, the Zombie game mode has been confirmed with footage on the Gametrailers show. However, as is the wont of internet tykes, someone’s ripped out the section of the show and stuck it on youtube. And it’s that I’m linking to beneath the cut.

Just for ease of use, you understand.

Zombies in serious WW2 game then. Some people are saying tasteless. Some people are saying tasteless… yet awesome. I’m saying CHRIST! I STILL NEED TO SORT OUT MIKES FOR THIS THING! AND WHERE CAN I GET CARBON PAPER!?!?!

, .

1. Thiefsie says:

Looks more convincing than CoD 3

AndrewC says:

As long as you buy enough biscuits for tonight’s Thinkosium I will be happy, leaving you the rest of the afternoon to write a post about the history of the colour brown in games. Or painting Skaven.

3. bighatdino says:

Zombies in WW2? I’m totally in for this, guess I’d better start saving up for a 360…

4. RiptoR says:

Why a 360? Comes out on PC too…

5. brog says:

omg “video game contains zombies” stop the press.

6. Feet says:

I hope you are recording the drunken thinking that occurs this evening so we can enjoy it in the privacy of our own homes.

7. Brian says:

Wasn’t zombie WWII the premise of Return to Castle Wolfenstein?

8. thefanciestofpants says:

How can you play a WW2 game and only start calling it tasteless when zombies are added to the mix? People continue to be wierd, unsuprisingly.

Cautiously optimistic about this.

9. The Sombrero Kid says:

no more tastless than rag time mode :D

10. Maximum Fish says:

Tasteless? And enjoying make-believing a conflict that snuffed out millions of lives is somehow not? And how about running around stabbing japanese people to unlock a perk or something -whaching, lance corporal! you just unlocked the flamethrower!- and then hear Kiefer Jackbauer Sutherland shout out, “great fucking job marines!” This is a tasteful representation of war?

Not that i’m complaining about either. It’s a game, an action game and not any serious attempt at meaningful commentary or any other boring “important” shit, and people should get over it. People should also get less prudish and quit looking for things to get offended by or look down their nose at (not directed at anyone is specific). Not everything is ‘high-minded’ or ‘enlightened’, and i must have missed the day we decided to revert back to priggish condescending aristocracy.

Jesus, i need more sleep…

11. ChaosSmurf says:

I concur with Feet. Audio/video of drunken ramblings is clearly required.

12. The Sombrero Kid says:

stabbing Japanese people is a public service, they’re too damn cheery!

13. Maximum Fish says:

I hope they put some sort of scoreboards or set some score goals for these things. In CoD4 i never really messed with arcade mode, simply because i never new if my score was any good or just sucked. Beating the standards i set the last time out sort of felt like playing ping pong against the wall.

14. Radiant says:

stabbing Japanese people is a public service, they’re too damn cheery!

Sombrero Kid you are a fucking idiot.

15. thefanciestofpants says:

“no more tastless than rag time mode ”

Seriously! If people are looking for tasteful theyre playing the wrong genre of games.

16. Maximum Fish says:

Yeah, i’m sure there’re some flash games where you can plant trees and teach algebra to refugees, and maybe i’m crass and unsophisticated but i’ll always prefer shooting nazis (undead or otherwise) with sawn-off shotguns.

17. NikRichards says:

Looks quite fun to me, just aslong as they don’t slip them into singleplayer ‘for a laugh’.

As for multiplayer, what harm can an extra gametype do? If you don’t like it, dont play it!

18. The Sombrero Kid says:

thefanciestofpants & NikRichards
    agree with you both here, it’s not like they’re in the main game it’s an extra funny mode just like rag time that you get for finishing the game, i’m kinda looking forward to it.

19. RC-1290'Dreadnought' says:

Yea, I’m Dutch, why?

20. Mike says:

I’m sure the zombies will slip into single player but probably only as a special mode to encourage replay. Anyway, it’s surprising news!

21. The Sombrero Kid says:

@Mike
    in the gamtrailers thing they made a big deal of stressing it’s not in the singleplayer, just a survival inside a boarded up house mode after you finish the game

22. Mike says:

Ah… missed that one. I still think the design team just saw ‘left for dead’ and thought, yeah we’ll have a bit of that.

23. The Sombrero Kid says:

@Mike
    agree with you there 100%
    it must be worrying having the COD4 multiplayer legacy to live up to and being released right along side a multiplayer specific game from the biggest name in FPS

24. Erlam says:

The only reason I’m ‘angry’ (more like sad, or annoyed) is it’s a blatant rip-off of the upcoming Left 4 Dead. Not that I’m saying Left 4 Dead invented zombies or anything — it’s just curious about the timing.

Frankly though, everything I’ve seen of this game looks like shit, and the suicidal ‘kamikazi’ (yawn) A.I. makes my inevitable pass on the game more likely.

25. Saflo says:

Jesus, i need more sleep…

Among other things.

26. Dracko says:

Erlam: Left 4 Dead does not have a zombie exclusivity, as far as I know.

Besides anything else, it’s only appropriate that after schooling Valve on how to add gameplay to a wilfully cinematic experience, the Call of Duty series should take a stab at besting them at zombie onslaughts.

27. iainl says:

It’s multiplayer only. Personally, I think co-op against Zombie Nazis is significantly less offensive than competitive multiplayer where one team is playing as Proper Nazis.

28. thesombrerokid says:

what about camp black nazi’s alla battlefield heroes, now that’s offensive

29. Maximum Fish says:

@Saflo

Yes, i also need new tires. And a shave.

30. Scott says:

A prediction, based on a few hours with the beta: game sales will be brisk until Christmas, and then tank. The multiplayer is underwhelming, to put it kindly.

31. Sam C. says:

I’m enjoying the multiplayer beta so far, so hopefully this will be good. I haven’t played CoD4 so I can’t really compare it, but the multiplayer seems as fun as the first CoD, except now with unlockables and achievements. I had some intense battles this evening.

32. Fazer says:

Wow… a total Left 4 Dead ripofff… The same mechanic – when you’re down, you can shoot only with pistol. It’s obvious they did it to steal a part of a success from L4D. But it looks pretty boring, the zombies are slower than you, characters don’t have their own personalities and don’t speak. Are there any objectives at all?

33. provillus Reviews says:

Provillus natural hair loss treatment now available for Australian, American, Canadian and UK’s Men and Women . Order here for your 90 Day Money Back Guarantee. http://www.Managehairloss.com

34. onlinemovieez says:

You Can Watch Online New Romantic, Comedy, Horror, Sexual And Moral Hollywood Full Movies 100% Updated and totally Free Available At: http://onlinemovieez.info/

35. Penise Enlargement says:

Penis enlargement products like vigrx, maleextra, sizepro, prosolution, enzyte, virility ex, natural gain plus, sizegenetics, proextender & more at http://www.vigrxpillz.com

36. Zeta Clear says:

Zeta Clear nail solution is one of the safest and most effective products on the market for eliminating both toenail and fingernail fungus. Order your free zetaClear bottle today at http://natureherbals.info/toenail-fungus.html