Mac Gaming Since 1874

By Alec Meer on October 30th, 2008 at 10:01 pm.

So, gaming on Apple machines. Clearly Paganism of the most heinous order, but as it’s nearly Halloween let’s deign to acknowledge it. Anyone do it? Happy stories/horror stories? Despite owning a (hilariously battered) Mac myself, it’s not something I’ve ever especially considered. I was fairly surprised to walk into a computing store in Canada last year and see ranks and ranks of slightly old or slightly silly Mac games there, so I know there is stuff available, but personally I’d stuck to oldies – I’ve got Mac copies of the first two Fallouts – and, er, casualies. Woo Peggle, etc. That, I’d surmised, was pretty much the outer limit of it, at least unless I had one of those hilariously costly high-end Mac desktops that people with tiny beards and expensive spectacles buy. Two Macish stories which suggested the more mainstream Apple systems are rather game-blessed of late caught my passive eye today, though.

The first is that best-game-of-the-year-that-isn’t-King’s-Bounty World of Goo is getting a Mac release later this week. Endearingly, anyone who bought the Winders version will be able to also freely grab that’un, and the eventual Linux port. Strikes me it could do really, really well on Macs, as the hardware requirements are so low (I’ve even managed to get it running just dandy-like on my first-gen Asus EEE, which is below the minimum spec) and it’s got enough slickness and artistry that the complicated-haircutted Apple fan-crowd might think it one of their own.

City of Heroes perhaps less so. But that’s also about to hit OSX, a mere ten thousand years after its release, in parallel with the forthcoming Issue 13 update. It does seem an weird move to make after all these years (even if it is a fairly tokenistic one, being essentially emulated rather than truly ported), but hell, I’m in favour. While my attention always wanes after a few days of power-jumping, troll-thumping and throwing the Crab Most Muscular, COH is the MMO I’ve always gotten the most out of. I know Champions Online puts it in some danger, but I kinda hope a move to the Mac wins it a new audience. Now to see if it runs on my shitbag first-gen Macbook or not…

What else could/should be played on one of the electronic Macintosh machines, readers? Or does their mere mention here fill you with hatred and fear?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Butler` says:

The last game I played on a Mac was King’s Quest (insert number here – my memory isn’t that good) over a decade ago.

2. Pags says:

I saw the word ‘Paganism’ and thought you were talking about me. It didn’t take long to work out I was on the wrong track but the disappointment was crushing anyway.

Also, forgive how poor this comment might be, I’m stealing internet from a North Carolina airport and typing using my Archos’ on-screen keyboard.

3. Meat Circus says:

I wasted a year of my life playing bloody WoW on a MacBook Pro.

Don’t talk to me about it.

4. ruaidhri says:

I managed to get NOLF running ages ago on my good ladies pretty but useless Mac. It looked like it was a mod of Doom so I bought her a PSP so I could have my gaming PC back.
    Its fine for her to stroke and for me to shout at as the mouse has one bloody button, but beyond that it sits quietly in the corner next to her equally unused sewing machine.

5. Grey_Ghost says:

Why hate and/or fear Mac games or gamers? I don’t see how they are a threat to PC games in the slightest. I’ve always been tempted to try out a Mac, but I’ve never really been interested enough to look up what advantages they have over PC.

6. Gordon says:

I’m at Uni, so the only computer I have is my MacBook, which HUGELY limits the gaming I can do. All I’ve got at the moment is Peggle.

7. RichPowers says:

I regrettably bought an iBook G4 in 2005, shortly before Apple moved to Intel chips, so I’ll occasionally play ROMs, old games, and OSS stuff, usually while traveling. Never play any “real” games on it, though, especially since they cost more and frequently take months to be ported over. (The racks displaying new Mac games are like time machines, showing you what PC gaming was like 1-1.5 years ago.)

I’ve read that Steve Jobs doesn’t care much about PC gaming and therefore Apple doesn’t make it a priority.

8. solipsistnation says:

Oh, for the good old days of playing Marathon on System 7 and smirking at DOS gamers who thought Doom was cool…
    Near as I can tell, the move to Intel CPUs basically killed off most of the incentive for publishers and game porting houses to release games that run natively under Mac OS X. It doesn’t matter that the hardware and drivers are significantly more stable than anything on Windows– the target market is much smaller, especially since the Mac games market has been so restricted that hardcore must-play-it-now gamers have ended up with Windows machines anyway, even if they have a Mac for doing actual work. At this point I suspect most people who use Mac hardware for gaming are running Windows or some kind of emulation anyway, making native Mac ports of hardcore games (that is, anything that isn’t a casual game, and I include The Sims in the “casual” category which will probably annoy people) a waste of time and money. That doesn’t mean they aren’t out there…

But, at this point, I honestly can’t think of anything that’s Mac-only or is better played on a Mac. I wish I could. Even indie games or anything. It’s all either cross-platform or just not out for the Mac at all… I dunno. A quick skim of the insidemacgames.com forums makes it look like people are mostly talking about stuff that’s newly supported by emulators and things that are cross-platform anyway.

9. Butler` says:

I hate Macs in the same way I hate Linux: it’s for posers and uber nerds respectively, and I don’t have much time for either.

10. solipsistnation says:

9 posts until blatant anti-Mac flamebait? That’s not bad. The bonus anti-Linux flamebait was a nice touch.

11. Paul B says:

Yep, no posers or uber nerds use PCs – only us decent folk ;)

12. c-Row says:

I played WoW on my MacBook Pro, enjoyed Darwinia and cursed Civ IV’s hardware hunger. I still fire up the odd game of Quake III every now and then, but most of the latest games I either don’t care about or get them for PC anyway.

@Butler
    Oh well, I don’t have much time for stupid stereotypes.

13. Idle Threats and Bad Poetry says:

@Gray_Ghost

It’s just rather humorous to think of people playing games on a Mac. It’s not scaring anyone. It’s kind of like picturing John Walker in a tutu.

14. TheP says:

I got a Mac Pro and there is not much to play in OS X, WoW is there and some other games but not much else so I just relog into Vista when in mood for games.
    But so far everything has worked smoothly there when it comes to games. The machine is powerful and competent to run modern games without any problems and when done I can reboot back to OS X which is much more enjoyable to use than any windows version so far.

15. Nick says:

I play games on my Mac all the time … it’s just that I have to restart it into Windows every time I want to play anything except Civ 3.

16. john t says:

Played through world of goo on my macbook with 0 glitches, using crossover.

Was sorely disappointed that Spore would not run on it, though :(

17. Butler` says:

I’m quite aware it’s a sweeping generalisation, but I’m not talking about everyone who uses a Mac or everyone who uses Linux, obv.

I’m talking about the people who think it’s cool to be anti-MS (M$!1one) and make a point out of using an inferior OS for the task at hand.

18. Erlend M says:

I have a MacBook Pro that I use for gaming. But I keep Windows XP on it as a second OS for that purpose. It works quite alright, but it’s annoying to have to boot into Windows every time I want to play a game. It would also be annoying to have to buy a second OS for it, but I fortunately got my XP free through the University.

In Windows, the machine is not bad at all for gaming, considering it is a laptop. Or, I couldn’t really tell, as the most demanding games I’ve played on it are probably Oblivion, Company of Heroes and Vampire: Bloodlines. I haven’t been playing very new games lately. Anyway, it has a proper Nvidia 8600 mobile video card, none of that integrated nonsense.

For those who don’t care about buying a second OS to game in, it’s possible to buy CodeWeavers’ CrossOver Games for Mac, which is more or less a fancy and improved Wine. Wine is a free and open reimplementation of a lot of Windows-only libraries, meaning that Windows-only software can be run on other OSes with Wine as a compatibility layer. I haven’t tried it myself, although CodeWeavers advertise as supporting fancy-pants games like Half-Life 2 and Team Fortress 2.

I have tried using plain Wine in Linux, and finished Planescape: Torment and Fallout in it without any problems, but I can’t recommend it in general. New games don’t work as a rule, and older games tend to not work as well as they should. I hear Wine has been improving quite a bit lately, but I’ve got a Mac with Windows for gaming these days, so I’ve escaped trying to make games work in Linux when they clearly don’t want to.

Some major games are actually published for Mac OS X, but usually several months late and way overpriced. Their most annoying trait is that they tend to be OS X only, which means that you can’t install them on Windows, ever, even though it’s originally a Windows game. This sucks, I want full OS independence for my PC games. What if I got a new Windows PC, and wanted to install it there? Then I’d have to buy a new copy.

It’s not as if it would be technically difficult to put versions for different OSes on the game DVD. The only difference is the executable and the libraries that it links to; the resources are the same for all OSes, and that’s the real space hog for games.

19. Daniel Purvis says:

I have mostly played PC games exclusively on a Mac.

Back in the day, it was an old LCIII and I’d usually play freeware games that I’d take from dad’s Mac World cover disc. Most of those were really fun, though short experiences, and I distinctly remember this one game where you played as a tiny red devil and had to consume souls in order to survive. It was a simple platforming game but one I loved.

Also played ALOT of this flight sim called Hellcats, which I still have a copy of but can’t get running on my new MacBook Pro. I only ever played using the keyboard, in fact, playing on a Mac I never even knew there was such thing as WASD controls.

Then, I ended up playing through Chuck Yeager’s Air Combat, which was a slight upgrade, featuring more planes and a full campaign mode. Sortie after sortie I flew. It was tough, though. Die once and that was the end of your campaign. Think I made it through 50 sorties before biting flak in an F22 somewhere over Kuwait.

Eventually, I graduated to FA-18E Hornet, which I convinced dad to buy me after having played a demo from one of his cover discs. It ran like ass but I didn’t care, it was great fun flying for up to twenty minutes to an objective, bombing the shit out of it then hook-landing on a carrier in the middle of the ocean.

Then of course, there was Marathon and it’s many sequels, also Syndicate. Oooo, ooo. Can’t forget all the old Lucas Arts point and click adventure titles — yes, that means Monkey Island’s, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, The Dig, etc.

When we finally upgraded to a G4, I made my way through Oni, Diablo II (countless times), StarCraft and BroodWars and Fallout 1 & 2. I was also addicted to playing Unreal Tournament and would spend many a school night pretending to open the door as though I’d left the computing room, then shutting it quietly and continuing to rank 1 & 2 in multiplayer games until 4am. Every morning mum would ask the same question, “why are you tired?”

This year, I replaced my old ASUS G1 laptop (7700M and 2.4ghz CPU + 2gb RAM) with a March release MacBook Pro (512mb 8600M + 2.6ghz CPU + 2gb RAM) setup running OSX with Windows XP on duel boot. It runs Steam games fine, including STALKER and Half-Life 2 at maximum resolution, and handled Crysis fine at the Average (?) or Medium graphical setting at a decent resolution. Fallout 3, not so well, but then again I’m playing that on console predominantly.

The MBP is, in my experience, far more reliable running XP than the old G1 was and the only issues I’ve encountered were trying to play COD4 multiplayer — can’t sort that one out. However, Team Fortress 2 is fine as are many other games.

If there’s any real issue, it’s trying to remember which key does what (Apple command is Windows key) and handling the placement of the function key and F keys.

Honestly, I love my Mac and I love gaming on my Mac. Sure, they’re rather expensive and they might not offer graphical superiority but they’re damn reliable, have a beautiful finish and be damned if I don’t prefer designing and word processing under OSX.

Also, I think I just wrote a blog post.

20. Gap Gen says:

I installed Spore on my Macbook Pro as I wanted to play it when when I happened to be going away for a week. Other than that, it’s mainly for work.

I don’t think that the Mac is an ideal gaming platform. Its OS is quite nice compared to Vista, but the relatively expensive and mostly unupgradable hardware is to its detriment. If I wanted a closed-hardware gaming platform, I’d buy a console. In fact, it’s only because it was heavily subsidised for work that I got a Mac at all. It’s a shame, because I do like the OS, but the machines themselves need to be cheaper to be competitive with PCs.

Maybe Linux should be the gaming platform of choice, although it’d be unlikely unless bigger companies play ball, and Microsoft won’t like that. Then again, Microsoft are trying to undermine themselves in promoting both PC and Xbox, and PC usually ends up suffering.

21. solipsistnation says:

@Erlend M:

The reason you usually only get a Mac-only version of A-list games when you buy the Mac version (as opposed to hybrid DVD or CD) is that they’re usually published by different people. There are a bunch of porting houses and publishers who buy the Mac rights to games, license the source code, and build and publish the ports themselves. Aspyr Media (www.aspyr.com) is one of the biggest of these publishers, and has branched out into other sorts of ports and publishing. It’s a complicated business, and companies publishing hybrid discs to start with (Spore is the most recent example I can think of) are rare and are usually VERY large publishers– smaller groups just don’t have the resources to develop cross-platform to start with. That’s also why the Mac versions show up months or years after the PC or console versions.

22. Kris says:

I wouldn’t consider Mac prices a major issue for running OS X as I’ve been running it perfectly on my own built hackintosh (bought the OS, no pirating here) for almost a year now – completely dropped Windows half a year ago too!
    It’s a moderately powered machine – Core 2 Quad, 8800GT, 4GB and all that – and whatever new games come out on the Mac, like Spore, I play on the Mac. For any other game I’m interested in, I have my 360.

23. Tom says:

Microsoft are trying to undermine themselves

HAHA, more like ‘They are actively putting a gun to their head.’ Ever heard of Vista, now that’s a Gaming platform!

24. Down Rodeo says:

I plan to build a PC next summer; I figure I will need Windows at some point but then what’s the point of getting Vista then when I could wait for 7, if the rumours are to be believed? Ubuntu all the way until then, I think.

As far as Macs go, there is something of an area of effect around me that causes all Macintoshes that enter to break, horribly. As I get closer to the keyboard more things go wrong until the point where I am about to type something; then it’s sad Mac face time.

Oh, I have an iPod, use iTunes on my home PC, and it is shit. Apple write such horrible software. Media players should not be 70 MB (though that is neither here nor there really).

I remember playing a few very old games on my aunt’s iMac, on the rare occasion when my AoE was… I dunno, what’s the WoW term? Recharging? :S It was ok, but I’m not sure that I like how Macs work. I prefer to fiddle with my machine more than that, you know, S&M fun.

25. Krupo says:

The flamebait was awesome.

26. Ninelives says:

I’m in a similar boat to Kris.

I’ve got a decently specced iMac running OS X and XP (through bootcamp). At the moment, I’m using it to play WAR, Crysis and some older PC titles I missed out on (Max Payne 2 [!]), but the modern state of Mac gaming is an even sadder state of affairs than it used to be –

Especially when compared to previously playing classics like Myst, Wolfenstein and all of the fantastic Lucas Arts adventure games that were around during the 90s. Even during the earlier 2000 period were some decent titles available in moderate numbers. The Quake and UT series, various Tom Clancy FPS titles and lots of cool left of centre games that had been covered on RPS recently (Sacrifice, Giants). But, I was always dissapointed that there was never a port of HL, or its sequel.

Though strangely.. I’ve had a Mac as my main computer for 20 odd years, and never really bought into the fanboyisms or brand affinity that seems to afflict a lot of PC and Mac users, not to mention console owners.

Just let me continue to read your glorious PC GAMINGS blog.

27. Devin says:

Escape Velocity! Okay, these days I’m PC-only (for reasons of finance) and EV: Nova swings both ways, but back in the day it was the subject of much lunchroom gloating that we mac-faithful had Escape Velocity and EV: Override and the PC kids didn’t.

@ Solipsistnation

Well, it’s not either-or. Realistically it’s hard to make a business case for not making a windows version. Once you’re making a windows version, you have to decide if you’re going to make a Mac-native version too. Since most “real gamers” who own macs can and will dual-boot, it’s not gonna kill your sales if you don’t. (For casual games, it’s very different).

So you can…
    1. Make Mac and Windows-native versions.
    2. Make a windows version only, and spend the half of the money you saved on hardware testing to make sure it’s smooth as butter on all common Apple hardware (when booted into windows) and the other half on advertising, bribes to magazine editors, or (gasp) making the game better.

Even though mac hardware compatibility under OS X may be easier to achieve than under windows due to better driver stability, the added expense of porting the game itself probably kills the value proposition if you believe that 75% of the maccies who bought your game would have bought a windows version anyway.

28. Caspar says:

As the above commenter said, the Marathon series were probably the only games that really stood out on the Mac. And before EV Nova, there was this great game from Ambrosia which only run as screen saver where you had to shoot asteroids (too lazy to Google). We played it for weeks.

I played a lot of WoW on my iMac, and before that Homeworld, another port by Aspyr. Nowadays I’d rather invest in PS3 games though. If you only own Macs and are serious about gaming, you’ll install Windows anyway, so I think “Mac gaming” nowadays is for casual gamers only.

29. ed says:

I play all my games on a MacBook Pro. Tf2, portal, Crysis, Far Cry (2), pure etc. Tf2 I play with WINE, the rest in XP. It’s not ideal, but hardware-wise it’s more than capable. I think you’ll find a lot of of gamers use macs. Perhaps not the hardcore gamers who want the cutting edge. Judging on the replies here anyway…

30. solipsistnation says:

@Devin:
    I think you said more succinctly what I was trying to get across. I am a wordy bastard at times. 8)
    And how could I forget Escape Velocity? Dang.

31. Caiman says:

There have been a lot of good Mac games over the years, although they tended to lag behind their PC originals by several months or – more normally – years, and so weren’t exactly the platform of choice. And although there weren’t that many Mac exclusives, some of them were memorable. Aside from the aforementioned Marathon games and Escape Velocity (and other Ambrosia software classics), there was Spectre which I played to death whenever I visited my folks. It was also the platform of choice for Myst, back when it was thought of as “cutting edge” instead of “a barely-interactive slide show”.

But let’s face it, of all the people I know who own Macs these days, not a single solitary one of them would be remotely interested in playing a game. Perhaps that’s the circle of friends I keep, but it strikes me that if you’re the kind of person to buy a Mac you’re probably putting gaming a bit further down your list of priorities about why you want one.

32. guardian says:

solipsistnation – Stable drivers on Mac is a bad thing. The graphics card companies work with game developers to optimise the graphics engines for the drivers and the drivers for the engines. If Macs went the full console route and only had one hardware configuration too it might be worth building around that stable driver version specifically (e.g. dealing with all the driver bugs in the engine instead of getting nvidia to fix them), but since devs pretty much have to adapt the scalable Windows version of the engine to cope with the hardware and that will be tied to more advanced drivers than the Mac version it just becomes another barrier to Mac gaming.

p.s. Played Doom and Marathon back in the day and think Doom is a lot better. Much more visceral.

33. aendarasi says:

You can play Dominions 3, the Ur-Quan Masters, and tons of older stuff (i.e. the X-COM series) through DOSBox on a Mac. What else do you need? :)

Seriously, though, now that the newer Macbooks have a decent graphics chipset I hope we start seeing more games for that platform.

34. Viperion says:

Lots of open source games also have Mac versions. Battle For Wesnoth is generally my game of choice on the Mac. My MacBook is more of a work machine (Final Cut Pro for video editing) but still I sometimes want to game. I also DOSBox some older games. I think the biggest hurdle to gaming on a mac is what Devin and Solipstnation said above – most Mac users have just resigned themselves to not playing games natively on a mac, and so the market isn’t there for a business to sink lots of money into a native Mac version.

35. Corbeaubm says:

Always been a Mac gamer. Ever since the days of pre-MS Bungie, Fantasoft, Ambrosia Software, etc. Oh, and other titles like Spaceward Ho! and a number of clever indie titles. The number of great Mac releases has gone down over time, but luckily the new intel Macs have arrived. So now I can game with the PC side (mostly just because PC versions of games are cheaper than Mac ports), and still have Mac OSX with which to do my work (which I can count on to stay steady and keep my data intact, unlike Windows).

36. Sundoo says:

A-10 attack, Civilization II, and Spaceward Ho!. Great titles. But I don’t think anything worthwhile has come out for mac ever sine.

37. Heliocentric says:

Just the other day i saw sacrifice in the mac section of pc gamer. Looked to have been a recent by the any art.

Thats why macs are better than pc’s. They realise that games don’t get better than that.

38. Heliocentric says:

*box art

I’m on a mobile, no page preview.

39. Albides says:

Marathon series. None of this Halo crap, bring back Marathon. Also, does no one remember Oni? Both these games I first played on a friends mac and I recall they were rather good.

I wasn’t aware games were still being made for the Mac past obligatory titles from Bungie not forgetting their roots.

40. TRS-80 says:

It’s a pity you didn’t post this a few days ago, as Crossover were giving away full versions of Crossover Mac, Linux and Games for one day only, to celebrate gas prices going down (one of their 5 targets they challenged Bush to achieve as a lame duck).

41. itsallcrap says:

I successfully played a few games on Linux a while back – mainly FPSs like ET:QW and UT2004. I always kept my Windows partition, though.

Really, if you bought a home computer in the knowledge that you’d want to play a lot of 3D games and it doesn’t have Windows in it, you’re doing it wrong.

42. Biff says:

I used to do D2 Mephisto runs on my girlfriend’s iBook. Other than that it was mostly used for spidweb.com’s excellent Exile series.

43. Erlend M says:

TRS-80 said:

Have you got your serial yet? I downloaded both the Mac and Linux versions, but haven’t received a serial number in my mail yet. I’m very interested in trying the CrossOver Mac I downloaded and seing how well it works. To be honest, I’m not extremely optimistic, as my experiences with Wine on Linux usually leave something to be desired.

44. gaijin says:

My grilfiend insists that we have a mac as she’s a designer and apparently it is actually physically impossible to draw things on any other operating system, even now adobe products run just as merrily on a PC. who would have guessed? Anyway, that means that my Blizzarding has been Mac based since WCIII, and all have run shiny lovely. haven’t played much else boxed on it. EV:Nova, Avernum (anyone remember that?) and Defcon were all good, but then they’re hardly system hogs. Darwinia was plagued by extremely weird graphics bugs where sporadically the landscape would turn inside out and embed a load of inverted polys in my head. Never got to the bottom of that…
    Am waiting for a mac version of EVE so i can experience the joy/horror.

45. Larington says:

Honestly, the Apple marketting campaigns and stories of overzealous Mac zealotry, combined with the fact that Macs aren’t really considered as being a viable development platform mean I’ve never seriously considered getting one.
    I don’t really see that changing either, since there are issues with getting support when something does go wrong and macs are as far as I can tell, generally more expensive than PC boxes.

46. roryok says:

I have a macbook pro with an ATI x1600 in it, on which I’ve played bioshock, halflife 2 (up to ep3), portal, TF2, call of duty 4, and more. All ran very well. Because I of course run windows. I took mac OS off the thing when I bought it (second hand off my boss), and I only run XP and Ubuntu now.

Seems like apple are constantly putting bigger and faster graphics chips in to macs, then patting themselves on the back and saying “there! NOW there’ll be games on mac!”

They seem to forget that big barrier of a proprietary operating system with no games for it. Sure, hardware is the first step, but if they want games on mac they have to start handing out wads of cash to developers.

47. phuzz says:

My mac-lovin’ flatmate enjoys his C&C games, and I think he’s just bought Spore, but mainly him and his girlfriend just play a million little flash games like balloon tower defense.
    The main drawback I’d say is that anything involving 3D will work, but the bottom of a MacBook can actually reach a higher temperature than the sun if your try. FACT*

Mind you, Macs are pretty powerful theses days, put a proper OS on there and they make ok gaming machines, plus I’m pretty sure Minerva:Metastasis was all mapped on a MacBook Pro

*Lie, but they do get bloody hot.

48. Paul Moloney says:

Just as I don’t understand man-horse love, I don’t understand man-Mac love. I’m with Charlie Brooker (http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2007/feb/05/comment.media). I mean, just one criticism: the difference in pricing between Mac and PC laptops is horrendous, bordering on obsene. This MacBook costs €2,500:

I bought an equivalent Dell XPS laptop recently for €700.

On top of that, you can’t play (that many) games on it, and you can’t upgrade it. Yes, I’m sure the interface is nice and shiny, but not at the expense of being nearly 4 times the price.

P.

49. Gap Gen says:

Well, you can’t upgrade a Dell XPS much either. But the criticism for an iMac is fair. Then again, it feels like Macs are marketed partly to people who would never want to open up their case anyway…

50. Jamie says:

Why do PC users insist on slagging off Apple at ever possible opportunity (see Paul above). I’m sure your Dell is great but some people choose to buy a MacBook. It’s the same reason why some people buy a BMW 6 series and others will be happy with Ford Mondeo.

I played World of Goo on my MacBook Pro through CrossOver and it ran flawlessly. I could have played it through Bootcamp if I really had the need. Hell, I could have played it on my PC if I felt like it.

Comment on this story