The RPS Electronic Wireless Show Episode 5

By John Walker on November 3rd, 2008 at 3:51 am.

PODCAST!

Liiiiiiiive (except pre-recorded and not live) from Seattle, it’s the RPS Electronic Wireless Show once more, now at the fine old age of five. Now in New Clarity! Details fester below.

From a hotel room in America, for the first time ever in the entire history of the universe, all four members of RPS gathered together to podcast. Fortunately, to prevent this from becoming more awesome than anyone could handle, all four of them were incredibly jetlagged and confused.

Please excuse the lack of a detailed breakdown, but we’re too busy fighting the forces of evil and inventing new forms of energy. And sorry the filename isn’t chronological – again, jetlagged.

Oh, and we bought a new mic! You can hear us without having to hold a large metal cone to your ear.

Direct link to the mp3 is here.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. nabeel says:

That was fast!

nabeel

2. Tannrar says:

Oh, good. That cone was becoming quite cumbersome.

3. Ben Abraham says:

YES! You guys are the bestest ever. Have a cookie.

4. The_B says:

I sat and listened to this until 5.20 in the morning, and no Boogie Wonderland?

Fail.

5. dan- says:

Hurrah! I look forward to hearing it.

I’m posting this on my Wii. Something that would have taken me two minutes on a PC, instead took fifteen. Now that’s progress!

6. SPEEDCORE says:

Ohh crap, now I’m 4ep behind. Forgive me Oh Mighty RPS :(

7. Ben Abraham says:

May I perhaps suggest that you crank up the compression on the track a bit next time? (I’m talking volume, not file size) The quiets are a tad too quiet at times…

8. Muzman says:

There’s nothing wrong with the original but I ran it through a limiter and recompressed it anyway (for great procrastination!) it might make it an easier listen in certain situations.
    here ’tis
    There didn’t seem to be any stereo information so I made it mono as well. It’s about 30mb now. I haven’t tested the download yet. I also forgot to do the id3 tags before I uploaded it and it seems rapid share only gave me a ten download limit, so apologies there (takes forever to upload things on slow arse adsl)

9. Skurmedel says:

Where’s the Frasier tribute?!

10. Durbin says:

would anybody be so kind as to put this in a zip file and upload it to sendspace? as my work proxy blocks all files with .mp3 extension! as everyone knows mp3’s === piracy! tsk

Ging says:

Here you go Durbin, Muzmans version in a zip.

12. Durbin says:

Cheers very much Ging! now I wont be quite so bored at work :P

13. Janto says:

nice to see you guys are now listed as explicit in iTunes.

14. Feet says:

I pretty much agree with alot of your Far Cry 2 chat. A brilliant game with lots of frustrating bits interspersed through it.

At the bottomline though the firefights are brilliant and that’s really all that matters. Even the checkpoints are fun to fight past even if they are a little too frequent and remanned too quickly.

Like trying to take down the MG gunner on the back of a jeep that’s hurtling toward you while being picked at by a sniper and then your primary weapon jams and you scrabble for cover, switch to the M79 blow up the jeep with a grenade, unjam your primary weapon and pull a sniper bullet out of your leg before attempting to flush the sniper out of his position by throwing a grenade at a grassy hill near the road where you think he’s hiding and then bullrushing the hill and taken him out under a hail of automatic weapon fire from the checkpoint, which you then destroy by shooting at a barrel of fuel with the sniper rifle and in the confusion of the explosion you run in and burn everything thats still moving to a crisp with the flame thrower. And then you breath and move on. AWESOME.

How anyone can be put off by the silly little niggles when faced with the fun that can be happen by shooting shit up completely befuddles me.

15. diebroken says:

@Feet: Agreed, blowing crap up is always fun! :) And then when the truck at the safe houses gets updated to have a .50 cal – oooh man!

Shame that the environment isn’t a little more destructive, but then again if you destroy everything, the plot/game mechanics wouldn’t work…

On a side note, someone on the steampowered forums was complaining that they completed it in 10 hrs. and wanted a refund! LOL – I think a lot of people completed COD4 in half the time… :S

16. Down Rodeo says:

Nice, I’ll give this a listen when I get home. And dan- I’m doing this on my phone, it’s only a wee bit slower ;-)

17. Gap Gen says:

There’s a slight background buzz on the recording.

18. Gap Gen says:

Rule America with a fist of irony.

19. John Walker says:

Gap Gen – there’s a slight background buzz on your mum’s recording.

20. Pace says:

So there are more Söldner stories? :)?

21. Kieron Gillen says:

Pace: Actually, we told a couple more after we stopped recording. We’ll tell them next time, if we remember.

KG

22. K says:

My best experience in Far Cry 2 was driving over the open plains, looking over my shoulder at zebras galloping alongside me, as the Sun glared down on my jeep. Awesome.
    The oddest thing was, when walking back to my vehicle, I noticed it surrounded by bison. They charged the front my empty, parked jeep, one by one. Sadly, the impact of their charge killed them instantly. When I reached my jeep, it had a pile of several dead bison stacked up in front of it.
    Should be SaFari Cry… No?

Fallout 3 is excellent so far. I had the option to seduce Burke into not blowing everything up. He left town, and said he’d contact me later. I am intrigued. I wandered around for hours before going to Megaton, and cleared out a war memorial of creatures. Combat is intense on higher difficulties, especially since I wasn’t particularly skilled or well armed. A critical shot to the face wasn’t enough to kill anything, so I had to concentrate on the leg until it was shot clean off. Then bring them down as they limp towards me, before the battle attracted too much attention. Otherwise I get slaughtered. Fun.

23. teo says:

I’m really annoyed with Far Cry 2
    The world feels like a GTA map. You’re funneled in between mountains that pop up everywhere like rocks. I doesn’t feel like a real place and I don’t feel free to go where I want to. They even put invisible walls on the mountains.

You can’t explore much anyway because of bad people with guns being absolutely everywhere. It’s also incredibly repetitive. Combat doesn’t change at all, and the environments don’t either. And this is a LOOONG game.

Travel is frustrating because of the endless interruptions, and it takes a lot of time, but when you do arrive you find that it’s just the same thing over and over and over again. Can’t you even make a bloody cave for me to go into? OR SOMETHING.

Can’t I have a buddy with me in my car to man the turret? Do I really need to bail them out EVERY TIME? God…

Why is it even an open world game? Crysis had much more freedom in its combat because of the weapon customization and the nanosuit. In FC2 all you can do is choose your approach route but most of the time you can barely even do that because of all the damn mountains.

It’s got some issues… I mean, I like a lot of things about it but those things just make me see the game that it could’ve been. The way the buddies rescue you is awesome but where’s the rest of it? Your interactions with them are horribly limited

There is nothing to do in the world. NOTHING
    It’s very much like Assassin’s Creed

24. Gap Gen says:

ArmA has some great moments. Like when we tried to take a sniper in a tower out stealthily but failed, and so he turned and ran off the edge of the tower. Most of the comedy comes from our own ineptness, though.

25. Radiant says:

With Far Cry 2 I get the feeling they cut a lot out of the finished game.
    There are things in there that are superbly done but at the same time there are a couple of things which stick out that bug the shit out of me.

Everyone being hell for leather determined to slaughter me on sight being the most obvious.
    I remember seeing an early video where one of the devs talked up the different factions and how you placate sides by agreeing to help one over the other.
    Maybe the world wide cry of “BUNDLE!” wasn’t supposed to be like that? Maybe it was more complex and just got cut?

Great game but if you try to scream through it it’s bloody stressful.

26. Jubaal says:

I hereby rule that in all future podcasts you much each state your name before speaking each and every sentence so I know who is talking. It’s not that I have a bad memory or anything, oh no!

That is all.

Ok maybe not all… On the Soldner front I remember when this was in production and it sounded like the best FPS ever, total emersion, vehicles galore and a fully destructible environment. I recall telling all my friends how great it was going to be and then feeling shame faced after trying the truly awful demo. My friends to this day still don’t let me forget it. If I have the audacity to talk excited about any future ambitious games they give me ‘the look’ and say “this isn’t going to be another Soldner is it?”. Oh the shame, curse you Soldner. *shakes fist*

27. Tom says:

Far Cry 2 is every bit as annoying as it is amazing. It’s just a shame that the longer you play the more annoying the annoying bits become.
    I’m about 5 or so UFLL missions in to Act 2 and I’m starting to think I can’t be arsed to play this game any more. Which is a shame. Because the bits it gets right, it REALLY gets right.
    Fatally flawed in ways that make me wonder if anyone at Ubisoft actually played the game the whole way through. Never mind.
    Hopefully this is something a patch may be able to fix, but by then it’ll probably be way too late.
    Also the mission structuring is a little skew wiff. For the life of me I can’t understand why they didn’t make better use of the mobile phone. It would have been freakin’ cool if you could have given one or two of your buddies a call for support before going on the assault. Or call your current employer from where ever you are for your next assignment rather than having to go traipsing back to town.
    That’s the thing with FC2 – you know some thing’s severely buggered when you can’t be arsed to traverse the world the devs have created… which leads me on to another problem: not enough bus stops.

28. SuperNashwan says:

I genuinely love the podcasts, even when they were rubbish audio quality. Having made that clear, I hope you’ll let me agree with the other comments about needing a touch of compression to even out the levels. You can get a free VST compressor from here which you can run in something like Reaper, or I think Audacity has a compressor effect which would work fine.

29. Dreamhacker says:

“Electronic Wireless Show” is a decent name for the show, but I would love to hear the Rock Paper Shotgun “Radio Podcast Show” :)

30. Nick says:

I think you should add a touch of flange.

Dirty audio puns ahoy!

31. terry says:

I particularly enjoy the way the train rattles prompt a frantic pace.

Electronic Wireless Crystal Sets… on Rails. Practically an important new Valusoft franchise?

32. terry says:

Sorry for the doublepost and belated reaction but this was the best podcast yet for me, particularly as Stirling Albion was mentioned :(

33. Rob says:

Half way through, another good show so far; loved the Soldner story

34. plague says:

I just beat FC2 and the credits show that the game was assembled by a large number of seperate teams, which makes sense of the wildly varying levels of effort put into different aspects – e.g. the arms dealer side missions always have you blowing up the same convoy going in circles, yet they went to the trouble of writing and recording loads of different “go kill a convoy” speeches. Lots of building geometry is repeated but the amount of effort put into unique doodads to decorate each building differently could have produced another hundred buildings.
    Anyway, it’s a brilliant game, and almost all the criticisms I had evaporated for me when I remembered that a game is what it is. Something I really liked that hasn’t been mentioned much is the writing: it’s not literary or anything but it evokes a sense of place very well, there’s tons of it, and the constant confusion and backstabbing of the plot which could be a negative seems authentic to a disintegrating country.

35. Arathain says:

Hah, jetlag. You guys went the easy way round. Wait until you go back again, and you shall know jetlag.

36. Kadayi says:

@teo

Try using stealth to get around the map. There’s plenty to find if you avoid using the roads and jeeps as your main means of conveyance. You’re a hostile in a war zone, make like one moving through enemy territory.

37. Y3k-Bug says:

I’m in the same boat as others in regards to Farcry 2; I simply don’t care enough to bother finishing it. So many aspects of it are just annoying and poorly done compared to the parts done well.

At the other end of the scale, Fallout 3 is absolutely amazing. This coming from someone who has never enjoyed an RPG before.

AndrewC says:

I like a lot that you’re mixing up the formulas of these things, alternating relatively sober games analysis and stupid shit.

I do think discussing these games in any depth would probably benefit from the added deliberation that writing it down would allow, but hey, a podcast that takes a lot less time is a fine compromise.

So more of this, try and have themed ones (like, have one about one specific topic), and try and get that Spalsh Damage dude from the Thinkosium as a guest as he had a lot of interesting things to say about where pc gaming is going that would benefit from more time and a lack of drunken hecklers. I mean, apart from Kieron oh lol.

39. Muzman says:

Listening to this it actually dawned on me that this is the perfect format for discussion of old games along side new ones. As much as I like to see a bit of history around web sites, those long and even well written reminiscences of some game on some blog couldn’t make me click elsewhere faster if they tried, most of the time.
    Reviewers try to avoid longitudinal comparisons for fear of alienating the readers (I guess) and a desire to judge a game on it’s own merits.
    But the ‘gotta be current’ aspect of media and culture in general is poisonous like some collective suicidal amphetamine binge. And, for all the investment of time and experience games journos have across gaming that would (ideally) inform their writing, they rarely impart this in any direct way to the public.
    A pub chat sort of atmosphere is the perfect place for random little anecdotes and connections like that.
    (probably a little ‘well duh’, but oh well. Such are my revelations usually. These things do have a kinda liberating feel to them and I think I generally get a lot more out of them, both about the games in question and the people playing them, than any given review or slab of of op-ed blogging. Not that it ought to replace the latter things, btw)

40. Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

All four RPSers! It’s the history in a making.