Born To Run, Etc

By Jim Rossignol on November 5th, 2008 at 3:11 pm.

More Mirror’s Edge exposition has turned up in the form of another animated trailer. Quite stylish once again, but discussing something that we kind of understood already about the game world: that the point of Faith’s job is not to get caught.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Schtee says:

When is it being release on PC? !?#?!

2. nabeel says:

I’m really envious of the console gamers getting the demo. Where’s ours? ;___;

nabeel

3. Not Bernard says:

“Late winter 2008″ is the official stance, I believe.

4. egg says:

@Schtee

According to Wikipedia, on “Late Winter”. :(

5. Fede says:

“Late Winter” and “2008″? So 8-9 months ago? :P

You english speaking people have really strange ways to say February-March 2009 ;)

6. Not Bernard says:

Slip of the keyboard, methinks.

Damn the lack of an edit function!

7. Pidesco says:

RPS could(must) do a piece on the console demo. It’s a demo of a game that will be released on the PC, even if it happens to be on a console.

8. Pike says:

The xbox demo was lovely and it would be interesting to hear what the RPS crew thought of it. However I wonder how telling it is of how the PC game will turn out. The game feels really suited to an analouge controller, since the focus is movement and not precision. Adapting it to some form of M+K control scheme seems tricky, though I have high hopes.

DICE really have nailed movement in an FPS better than anything has come close to before, IMO. I look forward to the full game quite a lot and I’m really excited about seeing how elements from ME will be implemented in more traditional FPS games.

9. Fede says:

@Not Bernard: I actually thought that in english speaking countries winter 2008 was the period between december 2008 and march 2009. From what you say I guess it is december 2007 to march 2008 then?

10. phuzz says:

Saw the trailer for this before Bond a the cinema at the weekend, looks bloody impressive on the big screen (there was about 4 or 5 game adverts before the film, about as many as for anything else).
    Am I finally going to have to pick up a 360 pad to play this?

11. Adam says:

@Pike: Can we really call Mirror’s Edge an FPS? Certainly it’s in the first person perspective, but there is emphasis in the game on not shooting enemies to hell.
    Maybe a new term should be coined? FPR – First Person Runner? Any thoughts?

12. Verdugo says:

I like FPP (First Person Parkour) aswell as FPR.

13. Pike says:

@ Adam: Well, no. I agree. Calling it an FPS is not really correct. Personally I see it mainly as a modern platformer. So I should have specified movment in a first person perspective instead.

14. Not Bernard says:

@Fede

No, it’s winter 2008-2009, I just messed up before. Either that or I’ve set a new record for myself and been getting dates a year wrong.

15. Yhancik says:

Nice found, Pags !

16. Yhancik says:

and by “found”, I meant “find”.
    (slaps head)

17. TheLordHimself says:

Am I finally going to have to pick up a 360 pad to play this?

No. Having played it with a pad, I expect the keyboard and mouse to be just as superior with this game as regular FPS games. You just can’t get the same amount of speed and accuracy with a stick.

18. Pags says:

Might have to have a difference of opinion with TheLordHimself; while playing it with a pad, I found myself thinking that actually this game might be awkward with a mouse and keyboard. Honestly, I found there wasn’t too much call for the accuracy of a mouse, and in terms of speed and ease of use I got on just fine with the PS3 controller (which, incidentally, I’ve never actually liked the feel of, even if the buttons aren’t as stiff and are more responsive than the 360 pads’).

19. matte_k says:

Pre-order info on Game says release date is 5th December 2008

20. MrMelons says:

@Pike

FPS is a pretty accurate label for this game considering it is in a FP perspective and you do have the option to shoot firearms. At the same time though i can see where people would hesitate to call it an FPS as the focus of the game doesn’t seem to be run and gun, but more of a marathon across skyscrapers.

Either way they can call it an mmorpg for all i care i want this to be out so i can devote days of my life to this game.

21. Aldo says:

Call it a first person scrambler?

22. Nallen says:

It’s a FPA (First Person Adventure) Game!

Anyway, yes I love this (the demo on PS3) and will be buying. I really think it’ll play better on a pad, regardless of the platform.

Current best time for the demo level at my flat is 2:35.7, manually timed from the instant you start moving to the time you catch the chopper. Slightly odd quirk to our timing is you have to skip the cutscene near the end as your co-runner says, “throw me the bag“. Don’t ask.

23. Masterdog says:

I’d have to completely disagree with the pad assessment. I played it on the PS3 and found it incredibly annoying. The precision required is surely much better suited to a mouse rather than those annoying joystick things. The keyboard would perform just as well as the various buttons (especially when you consider the mouse buttons as well). Just didn’t work on the pad for me at all.
    That said, the demo did at least confirm that the concept is a lot of fun. Can’t wait to get my hands on it on the PC.

24. Fumarole says:

FPP – First Person Platformer

Anyone else think that guy in the screenie looks like a Cobra Infantryman?

25. ugg outlet says:

dsl mais j’ai deux enfants et je n’ai que 15 ans et je voulais vous dire que ce n’est pas l’├óge qui compte !