Some More Heroes: COH Expands Again

By Alec Meer on November 5th, 2008 at 4:12 pm.

It feels a little odd to be talking about RTS expansion packs on the morning after the election night before. However, outside the window of my Seattle hotel room is a building site that looks straight out of Mirror’s Edge (complete with eye-catchingly red and yellow scaffolding), from which brickies stare at me with that particular malevolence that bemuscled men have fixed upon skinny men with spectacles since time immemorial, so I think “yeah, the world’s still the world” and turn my mind to Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor after all.

It’s the second Expandalone (yeah, I said it – whatchoo gonna do about it?) for Relic’s wondrous World War II RTS, and superficially it seems a little like Dawn of War: Soulstorm – an expansion released a loooong time after the original game, at a time when the playerbase is baying for a sequel rather than extra bits. In fact, it seems a little more about changing the nature of the game a little. There’s no new faction this time, but rather the concept, as hinted at by the hyperbolic title, is three new singleplayer campaigns rather than the usual New Stuff For Multiplayer focus. Which is unusual, and perhaps in line with Relic’s making Dawn of War 2 something that offers a little more to the lone player. Particularly being talked up is a direct fire feature that sorta hints this might, again like DOW2, be geared more towards controlling a handful of units rather than the usual mass construction rigmarole.

And that’s about all that’s being publicly discussed so far, bar a mooted Spring 2009 release. More news as we have it: the fact there’s no new faction, the standard inclusion for pretty much any RTS since forever, makes me suspect there’s something much more interesting going on here than the teeny-weeny info THQ has slipped out so far lets on. I do hope so – I adore COH, but a bunch of new units wouldn’t be enough to tempt me to this. So I’m eagerly awaiting more info-treats on this one.

, , , .

1. cyrenic says:

I’m skeptical on this one. I thought the first expansion was detrimental to the overall game. The balance got all messed up, they upgraded the graphics engine but didn’t optimize it so it ran terrible, and they added an often annoying log in screen at the start (even if you just wanted to play single player). The original CoH is still great though :P.

2. David says:

I’m disappointed that there are no new factions. I would have liked to see the Russians especially make a showing. I also hope that there’s more to this than meets the eye… The addition of more campaigns is welcome, but what I would really like is something to shake up the multiplayer.

3. rocketman71 says:

So, first SecuROM in OF, and now an expansion with no new factions?. Relic is losing touch.

We want Japanese, Russians and no fucking DRM, dammit!

4. spd from Russia says:

bah, and I was hoping they`d add russians :(

5. Devildog says:

Meh. It was a great game, but not enough for me to care about this. I want DOW2, though. God, I really, really want it.

And you know something else, I’d really like Relic to do something in the Warhammer fantasy setting. Battle March kinda sucked while DOW was awesome. Hopefully they’ll make a Warhammer ZeroK game….

6. subedii says:

Well, at least Cliffski will be happy now.

Oh good grief I hope he’s happy now. :P

Anyway, I’m really glad they didn’t add in any new factions but are instead focussing on developing the sides. Dawn of War’s balance was pretty much out the window by the end, and you would’ve had the tenuous situation of having to introduce yet another German faction to fit in to match the Ost Front Russians (given they’re trying to maintain the setting and balance the sides along axis / allies lines, I’m not sure introducing the Japanese would have been the best idea). You’ve also got the problem of having to significantly distinguish the sides and make them truly unique, as has been the case so far, not just variations on another faction’s theme.

I’ll take further balancing any day. Things get unwieldy enough to balance with four as it is, and I genuinely feel six would have been far beyond anyone’s capability to balance properly.

7. Bhazor says:

Reply to Subedii

Seconding that so hard you’d go cross-eyed.

8. paddytehpyro says:

They need to save something for COH2. Russian tactics are not that far from tyranids. Shame though would have been good to see more Russians in RTSs

9. Ginger Yellow says:

I’m fairly underwhelmed but I adore CoH so I’ll be picking it up unless it gets panned as badly as Soulstorm was.

10. Steve says:

Well there is a new multiplayer mode, for starters. You defend a village against AI attackers.

11. Steve says:

Bugger, no more editing? Oh well, I just remembered that the devs have also hinted that Russians will be coming to the world of CoH, perhaps in CoH2.

12. theleif says:

No Russians???? But why!
    I was hoping for an expansion with the russkis and Italian Bersaglieri… That would be cool.

13. RichPowers says:

Sounds very underwhelming, especially if they charge more than $19.99.

I adore CoH, but I’m waiting for the inevitable platinum pack before purchasing the two expandalones.

14. LEEDER KRENON says:

why would you want the italians? you would be forced to lose every battle.

15. darthpugwash says:

I will keep an eye on it, but like cyrenic I’m a bit skeptical. I loved Company of Heroes but felt that Opposing Fronts messed up the balance and feel of the game to a certain extent.

16. theleif says:

@LEEDER KRENON

Actually the Bersaglieri where one of the few italian corps that fought well. And they have cool hats :)

17. ascagnel says:

@devildog:

Relic did do DoW. Iron Lore (the Titan Quest guys) did the third expansion, while Relic did the base game, Winter Assault, and Dark Crusade.

As for CoH, I’m pretty much dead on that game. It was fun while it lasted, but the later-game vehicle combat wasn’t as satisfying as the infantry combat. Especially when you count how fresh it was when it was released.

18. Bhazor says:

Yes. This expansion pack you have heard nothing about is jolly disappointing isn’t it? Hell if the campaigns are as good as they were in the original and OF then it would be worth the money even if there wasn’t a single new unit.

Something a lot of people ignore is that the Internet activation thing added in OF means you don’t need the disc if you’re online. It also means that the multiplayer match making is far more robust and that you rarely get put in out of your depth. Nope, the only thing people mention is needing to be online to play single player. Which isn’t true, you just insert the disc and click stay offline.

19. Pantsman says:

I never played CoH, but to go off on as wide a tangent as possible, No More Heroes is a fantastically intelligent game, and everyone with a Wii should play it. It’s a scathing satire of the modern action game.

20. Kerotan says:

Personally, I didn’t even expect a second expandalone, so this is good news to me.

21. RaFannie says:

I recently found a place selling CoH Gold Edition(first game and OF) for 10USD. Do you think it’s worth it?

22. ascagnel says:

RaFannie:
    YESYESYESYESYES. Company of Heroes on its own is worth $20/$30 USD, so $10USD is a positive steal for the two.

Which store (I’m assuming in the US) has the two on such deep discount?

23. Mister Yuck says:

Indeed Pantsman, let’s highjack this thread.

No More Heroes cost me a letter grade in all my classes last semester. A fine game in its own right, and brilliant satire to boot.

24. Uknown soldier says:

*cough* Direct fire is a direct rip from Soldiers: Heroes of World War 2, Faces of War and Men of War *cough*

25. RaFannie says:

Actually, it’s a local store(local for me as in Malaysia).