The Sunday Papers

By Kieron Gillen on November 9th, 2008 at 2:14 pm.

Ooh, I think I'll get some more tea.

IT’S SUNDAY. What gets my blood pumping is to compile a list of interesting reading related to games from across the week and lob it up for your delectation, while hoping I haven’t included a link to some manner of pop video I helped out in. That’d be terrible.

• This is the sort of thing we like to see. Awesome Hissy Fit! Robert Bowling of Infinity Ward gets angry over Activision Producer Noah Heller mentioning Call of Duty 4 too much in interviews, amongst other things. To be honest, the first half isn’t really Noah’s fault, apparent factual errors apart. That stuff is lead by the journalists – and, frankly, that’s fine as it’s exactly what the readers want to know (Do you really think the DX3 guys aren’t going to talk about DX1?). The most interesting stuff is him noting they should interview someone other than the bloody producer who Robert accuses of never having even played the game (Not true, by the way – I was playing multiplayer against Noah at a press event recently). The producer-being-interviewed is an interesting phenomena – ideally, I’d always like to speak to someone actually deep in the team, but if they don’t show up at press events… (Via VG47).
  • The Telegraph reports that British soldiers could be trained on a videogame which recreates the smells of the middle-east by as early as next year. Will this technology reach the consumer market? You can hope so, if only as it’ll allow us to claim that a game stinks in a more literal sense.
  • Gamasutra really does do a lot of stuff, from the hyper-specific to the generalist. I was quite taken by this interview about Far Cry 2’s fire propagation. A whole interview about fire propgation! Videogames are a marvelous thing. From the other end of the spectrum, from Mirror’s Edge’s Producer Nick Channon about the whole philosophy of what they were trying to do.
  • I’m only keeping one eye on Obsidian’s Alpha Protocol, as I want to actually be surprised by what they turn up with. Obsidian, so far, have been a frustrating developer at best – because while they’ve been good, they’ve never been great – and, with the talent they have, we all know they’ve got the ability to do so. Anyway – here’s Chris Avellone having a good old yammer.
  • Really basic: EG’s Oli Welsh walks around Eve’s Space Stations and tells us about it.
  • Basic Videogames are awesome hype: They’re the UK’s top entertainment form (which is the sort of headline which could only be written by someone who believes the amount of money spent on something makes something top. Sorry – I’m being all Marxist this morning. (“What’s wrong with being Marxy?” – Ed)). Meanwhile, in the PC IS BEST file: Head to head between the PC, 360 and PS3 Fallout 3 over at Eurogamer. PC wins.
  • Proper Games Thinky-Criticism: Gregory Weir dissects Spore.
  • Manda Rin’s Guilty Pleasure as directed by old comrade-in-arms Alex De Campi. Mentioned this in a previous Sunday Papers, I know, but thought you wanted to see her handiwork. Bits where I (sorta) helped? Well, I provided about 1/3rd of the tea inside anyone at any given point. Also, constantly re-standing up the daisies on the lawn, half of a quick reworking of the EAT ME cake and purchasing the Salami to lure the dog into attacking an inflatable man’s groin. Alas, my finest hour – sorting out all the individual ice letters from a kit and then spelling EAT ME on a half dozen tiny cakes – is unused. Ah, showbusiness, darlings.

Failed.

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. qrter says:

Ooh Sunday Papers.. always appreciated! :)

Anyway.. maybe I’m missing something but I don’t think that Gregory Weir piece comes to a very interesting and/or new conclusion, for a ‘thinky-criticism’-piece I mean.

2. Pags says:

Terry Pratchett’s daughter wrote the Mirror’s Edge story? But in the demo, I haven’t heard the word ‘bugger’ being used once!

3. Dolphan says:

I remember when she wrote for PC Zone. I think it took until she left for me to figure out she was his daughter.

4. AlexW says:

I always enjoy reading about EVE. It’s such a refreshing change from the norm to have developers continually pushing the envelope, and if your inner child doesn’t get giddy thinking about viable one thousand-strong fleet battles between real people in a game then there is no hope for you.

5. Troy Goodfellow says:

Some producers are deeper into the development than others, of course, so I don’t necessarily mind the title of whomever is speaking to me.

If all they’ve ever done is produce, that could be a problem.

6. Kieron Gillen says:

It does depend – I mean, Spector’s only ever not been a producer once (Deus Ex) as far as I’m aware. But the problem with producer is that their relation to the game is such a variable thing. They can just be the bean counter or they can be the genuine visionary figure – and you can’t really tell until you’re in the room with them.

Noah seemed to be on point, to be honest. He was quite capable of talking about some deep game issues and riffing around them.

KG

7. Radiant says:

Zuffox that interview was hilarious.
    Can never go wrong with an interview that hovers across the line between awkward and even more awkward.
    [RA3, which I’m oplaying at the moment, is BRILLIANT btw]

8. Radiant says:

In regards to Producers being the public face of a game did anyone else notice the interview tug of war between the really pretty producer and the french canadian producer on Assassin’s Creed?
    More to the point which one of those two do I blame for the awful future past gimmick?

9. Radiant says:

Hold on isn’t fourzerotwo the guy who moderates the IW forums?

10. Sensitive Artist says:

Just wanted to let you know that someone got the Spinal Tap joke.

11. Robin says:

That EG head-to-head-to-head is a bit odd. Do people really need to have it pointed out to them that the PC has outstripped the technical capabilities of the current consoles?

12. Kieron Gillen says:

Sensitive Artist: Win!

Robin: Yeah, I think so.

KG

13. mister slim says:

@Radiant

Can’t be completely sure, but Patrice Desilets drove most of the creative decisions on Assassin’s Creed, especially the more-realistic-than-strictly-necessary ones, so he’s probably responsible for the future sequences. Someone really over-thought that game.

14. Bobsy says:

Huh. How comes we’re not more excited by Alpha Protocol? Deus Ex + Bourne seems like a fancy-dancy starting point to me, but I think this is the first I’ve seen more than just the name.

Looks pretty damn ugly though.