Ubisoft Bigs Up Massive

By Jim Rossignol on November 10th, 2008 at 10:27 pm.

Ubisoft have bought Swedish studio Massive Entertainment (of beloved Ground Control and World in Conflict fame) from ActiBlizzard. Hooray! The studio will live to create another base-buildingless RTS with splendid visuals, which will probably be in-progress WIC sequel Soviet Assault, which was also purchased.

Ubi executive director Christine Burgess-Quemard had this impeccable comment: “Massive has put together a group of some of the most confirmed and recognized creators in the industry and I know that their talent and innovation will allow them to seamlessly integrate into our worldwide network of production studios.”

Hopefully they’ll make some more games with fat explosions and oh-so-clever timed resource/reinforcement multiplayer mechanics too, eh CBQ?

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. rob says:

Or maybe they’ll end up making Endwar sequels for the rest of eternity. Who knows!

2. Fumarole says:

Any idea if this will change the fate of World in Conflict: Soviet Assault?

3. Fumarole says:

Of course, had I read the article fully, I would have that answer. Oops.

4. rocketman71 says:

On the plus side, maybe we’ll get Soviet Assault in the end.

On the minus side, it hurts my heart to see such a great developer making RTSs for consoles (loooooook, it’s not complicated, you can use your voice and there are only 7 different unit types. Still too many?), and after the Ubi buyout it will probably be even worse. I see it ending like Ensemble.

5. fulis says:

I think they have some really good games in them
    Ground Control was so great. I didn’t like WiC but it was still really polished and looked amazing. They have talent. If only they’d change up their design!

6. Lobster says:

I really liked World in Conflict, the multiplayer had an interesting twist to it, and it felt really unique. Glad to see the dev wont fall into the giant angry publisher trashcan in the sky!

7. Gap Gen says:

Out of the frying pan and into the fire, maybe? Possibly. Although no doubt Massive is better off outside the massively cynical business environment of Actard.

8. RichPowers says:

World in Conflict is the only RTS I’ve enjoyed playing on public servers. Indeed, we need more RTS-type games that can be played like pub server FPS’s: log on, play for a few minutes, and even quit the server without ruining the game for everyone else. It also helps that WiC ebbs and flows very nicely; rarely does one guy establish unstoppable momentum within the first minute of gameplay. My only complaint is how the support role is a bit awkward, especially when several servers frown upon “arty newbs” (hey, some people like providing indirect fire support!)

I kinda hate Ubisoft though.

9. Mogs says:

From the hands of one fickle publishing monstrosity straight into those of another; those poor slaves. Let’s hope Ubisoft are better masters.

10. Pavel says:

World in Conflict has probably the most amazing singleplayer campaign I have ever seen in an RTS.So yeah, I like those guys. And I like Ubisoft too, with their FarCry 2, BG&E, Splinter Cell and what not. This should be good (unless they really end up making console endwars..).

11. Jonas says:

Man this is a relief. There are so few great dev studios in Scandinavia, and Massive is pretty conveniently located at that. I’m glad they didn’t go belly up! Here’s to a long and healthy life for Massive : )

12. subedii says:

I wanted to enjoy WiC, but at the time I got it I wasn’t really able to play multiplayer with it. I ended up swapping it for Company of Heroes, which has a really awesome singleplayer campaign. Not to say that WiC’s singleplayer is bad, it’s also quite good, but the game is primarily multiplayer and the campaign just didn’t hold my attention the way that CoH’s campaign did.

Anyway, hope Massive get opportunities to make more good games in future. Despite not playing it much, it really is a genuine shame that World in Conflict didn’t sell more.

13. Real Horrorshow says:

World in Conflict was a near-perfect masterpiece IMO. Glad to see Massive Ent. won’t get flushed down the shitter. I just hope they don’t get stuck making Endwar sequels like others have said, or an extremely dumbed-down World in Conflict 2.

14. Viperion says:

I’m hoping for a real Ground Control 3. Without resource points, re-drops, or any of the other sissy stuff they put in there after GC1. GC1 is my #2 game of all time (right after Total Annihilation), and I would be truly excited for a real GC3. Also, the GC1 campaign was one of the best done campaigns I have ever played in a RTT/S game, and WiC disappointed me, so I need a good one to get the taste out.

15. Skurmedel says:

Viva la Suede!

16. Jim Rossignol says:

Amen! Sadly I think they’ve decided enough was enough with the GC series, which did not sell particularly well.

17. Larington says:

Am I the only one who thinks that since the merger activision-blizzard have completely lost part of the heart and soul of what made blizzard such a well liked publisher?

What actiblizz’s leadership is saying and doing at the moment seems to me to be several levels less inspiring than EAs behaviour, which is a turn up for the books.

18. Jocho says:

Larington, ActivitionBlizzard has pretty much nothing to do with Blizzard, the name pretty much got picked for it’s popularity. The “Blizzard” part is actually old Vivendi, or Sierrra.

On topic, I like these news: Better Ubisoft and more Massive then no Ubisoft and perhaps no Massive (which would be a shame).

19. Zarniwoop says:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. The proper name for merger between Activision and Blizzard is BLIZZIVISION.

20. N-Al says:

Just recently had the chance to play the WiC demo, was pretty impressed. Definitely a title I’ll be picking up at some point.

Hope Massive doesn’t get ‘compromised’ in any way by this move.

21. Rain says:

Ah Tom Clancy’s World in Conflict.

22. Larington says:

What I mean is, stuff like this can set alarm bells ringing in my mind.

23. Gap Gen says:

‘But Kotick also has plans for “three, maybe four exciting new intellectual properties”, including one contribution laid down by himself at the company restrooms. He hopes that this fresh, steaming license can be repeatedly sold to customers on an annual basis.’