Ok. What: Quite Soulless

By Jim Rossignol on November 15th, 2008 at 8:39 pm.

My intention was to download the 250mb demo and play some of Quite Soulless, by Vasily Zotov, and then offer some impressions. Sadly it works for a mere five seconds on my PC, just long enough to see a stiffly animated, mohawked protagonist turn around and waddle towards me. Perhaps the trailer, which is found after the cut, will give you a better insight into the entertainments contained within this unusual 3D adventure… Thanks to TIGSource for the link.

, .

1. Biggles says:

Oh my…

2. Jahkaivah says:

That throw up animation….. wow….

3. Oddbob says:

I had the same problem. I got a few moments into the first room, attempted to chat to someone and the whole game bombed out.

Is that Gillian Anderson in the first screenshot?

4. Klaus says:

What was happening in that bathroom?
    A duel with a cockroach?

I have no idea what this about. Regardless Jonothan – the protagonist, just seems high.

5. Larington says:

I don’t envy the roasting the makers will get from the graphics are everything zealots. Regardless, lots of awful, sluggish animations in there, made it painful to watch the video.
    Control issues too, though I’m curious about how they’ve done the interface, if I’m seeing that correctly, when you go to inventory you get a television screen view of the character and surroundings, not seen that before.

6. Funkula says:

Should’ve hired the Limbo of the Lost art team.

7. Janek says:

Why is Odo from Deep Space 9 coming out of that woman’s mouth.

8. Larington says:

I think I’d just like to add, Janek deserves a trophy for best post of the day.
    Made me laugh, out loud too.

9. Klaus says:

It works on my PC, it’s just incredibly peculiar. Lot’s of figure’s of speech. Dead Indians who are alive, beyond? the clouds… It’s just strange, I’ll give it a try when I’m not tired.

10. Pags says:

Possibly the best game I have played all year.

11. Joe says:

@ Pags
    What other games have you played?

12. Pags says:

I’ll leave it to someone else to point out I probably wasn’t being serious :)

Gotta say though, it’s kind of compelling in that it’s just utterly bizarre.

13. qrter says:

This is.. what is this?

14. Pags says:

The best game you’ll play all year.

15. qrter says:

No longer possibly! It just is!

16. Tainted says:

What’s with the soundtrack?!

17. Tannrar says:

The soundtrack is perfection incarnate.
    It’s with your ears that the problem lies.

18. sana says:

Quite Soulless, more like Limbo of the Lost: Original Content Edition.

19. Thiefsie says:

Looks better than Myst

20. Quater says:

is it me, or is it 1996 in here?

21. bobince says:

Awesome! I always wanted to play Timecube: The Video Game.

If you read the ‘story’ page it all makes perfect sense. Caution, spoilers! Well, unless Jonothan’s sister Stacy being killed by the Soviet Straight Walking Rat (which worked for the aliens) happens before the game starts, anyway.

22. Arathain says:

That’s the finest combat engine I’ve ever even heard of.

23. Tom says:

WTF was that?

24. Andrew says:

Helling fuck.

25. Jetsetlemming says:

Wonder what percentage THIS game’ll get pirated.

26. Greyface says:

Shut your filthy elitist mouths. Don’t you Philistines understand that indy = awesome, regardless of quality, coherence, and content?

Uncultured swine.

Also, if the trailer doesn’t explain it, the site certainly does… :-\

27. Haradan says:

That has got to be THE most rediculous install procedure I’ve ever seen. First, you pick a directory to install the installer. The installer then runs and asks you to choose a directory to install the actual game. It then installs 7zip and Adobe Acrobat (each with their own installer). It’s rather strange.

Next, after the game starts there’s the main menu, with strange flashing colours and something that seems to function like a rotary phone dial thingy. It has menu options around it that turn around when you press the down key (and ONLY the down key), but at first glance there seems absolutely no way of telling which of these options is actually selected. On closer inspection I found a dim arrow-like shape pointing to one option. So I go to see what’s in the options menu, which turns out to be a list of key functions rather than any actual options. Now that I’m unexpectedly furnished with a vague knowledge of what buttons to press I figure I’m ready to start the game.

Unfortunately, what I then experienced in playing the game can only be effectively expressed in abstract expressionist painting. I’ll return for more in the morning when I’m not quite this freaked out.

28. TheDeadlyShoe says:

Is this crappy art or postmodern commentary on crappy art? I can’t tell.

29. waffles says:

If you take 1/2 of what this guy had you get Zoo Race, 1/4 of it gets you “wii” rather than revolution, and an 1/8 of it makes you trip balls.
    also, wat

30. Alex says:

Reminds me of the “Money for nothing” video clip.

31. Alexander says:

best link to demo ever

32. Pags says:

I literally cried with laughter at the first cutscene. Now I’m stuck on what I think is the first puzzle.

Also, there’s an item called ‘stuff’ in the inventory. Genius.

33. Sheepye says:

I’m going to go huff superglue. It’s the only way to stop myself from being high now I’ve watched that link.

34. solomun says:

Yet another identikit UE3 shooter. Yawn.

35. Furbomb says:

Gun duel with a Kalashnikov wielding cockroach on it’s way to school?

yes, why not? …

36. Pags says:

So many questions, so few answers. Why have I seemingly been discharged from a psychiatric hospital with a loaded gun and a hatchet? Why do I have the key to an alien machine which turns me into Rolf Harris (just as I was getting attached to the main character too, what a shame)? Why did that guy shoot those birds? Who was in that helicopter flying over what I’d like to describe as a prison run by cockroaches? Why did said helicopter crash? Why is my head now on the body of an enormous crow?

37. Greyface says:

Zoo Race? Oh sweet god, I’d forgotten. Time to bust out the video to drive the bf insane again!

Yay!

38. Greyface says:

Lest it be forgotten:

Lest.It.Be.Forgotten.

39. Jochen Scheisse says:

It wasn’t ALL bad…I saw a nice camera angle. But the rest was quite bad.

40. Jochen Scheisse says:

I just saw that ZOO RACER GAME MOVIE and I would like to know if my drugs are on drugs.

41. Greyface says:

No, that’s the power of the lord. Not only can he launch horses unharmed out of cannon, he makes your drugs seem paltry by comparison.

That’s faith.

42. Haradan says:

I downloaded the zoo racer game demo from zoorace.com and Avast says it’s a virus. I guess I won’t be playing it. :(

43. phuzz says:

I can barely cope with the awesomeness of the trailer, I don’t think I could play the game and stay sane.

44. Bobsy says:

Someone’s been taking Second Life a little too seriously.

Best bit: rollercoaster tea trolley.

45. Bobsy says:

The website is absolute nonsensical gold. Here’s a few extracts from the game’s walkthrough:

On the rat use the FATHER’S PICTURE (to conquer the soul of an animal, just like Indian in the blue smoke said). You are transforming to a rat, as a rat, follow the path, you tried to study above.

Go through the tower, and on the dead end platform go right. You will fall out of the tower and understand the time, you were falling (15 sec). After that go back to the tower, inside the tower locate the stretcher on the wheels, take there knife, pills, bottle, USE the BOMB on the STRETCHER. Set the BOMB to 0:15 by pressing left-down-right arrows. Press Space near the STRETCHER.

There is a crack in the glass. USE there the black rock. Talk to man. Go back to the double doors. Go left from the horseshoe looking building, pass on the tower with “0″ sign on it’s top, in the next tower go inside, see the lock and the inscription. Pass on this tower too and on the left in the next tower above the head on Napoleon find the connection console. In inventory look at the paper from the man in the underground jail and remember the phrase Case One.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

YOU FALL IN THE HOLE IN THE END OF THE HORSESHOE!!!

Fuck yes.

46. C0nt1n1uty says:

If monkeys and sweet refreshing crack werent involved in the development i’m going to be dissapointed.

47. emdeehay says:

oh my god… oh my god… oh my god…. oh my god.

melt.

oh my god.

48. sbs says:

Ahaha I forgot how awesome this was.