Who Watches The… Ah, Fuggedit: Screenshots!

By Alec Meer on November 17th, 2008 at 12:22 pm.

Either Tiscali Games is the most powerful journalistic force in the videogame industry, or it’s just really good at… Well, I’ll leave that potentially trouble-making sentence unfinished. Anyway, as is so often the case, the Czech site is hosting the first online images of a brand new electric videogame – in this case Watchmen: The End Is Nigh.

Which isn’t a bad subtitle for a game reportedly documenting wobbly-faced paleocon anti-hero Rorshach’s earlier, criminal-hunting exploits. The screens themselves, though, seem to confirm Watchmen fans’ fears that it’s just a big dumb thumpy thing, though it certainly matches the Dark Knighty aesthetic of the movie. Too early to judge, clearly, but hopefully there’ll be some extra dimension that means not it’s purely about an extreme right-wing thug meting out horrific violence to America’s underclass.

, .

1. hydra9 says:

@Pags:
    You get 50 bonus points for mentioning Candide! That’s something everyone should read, too.

2. Flyspeck says:

There has never been a movie-game that was worth 50 dollars since Goldeneye for the n64. I loved the book but I just can’t rationalize paying 50 dollars for a game thats based off a movie.

3. Quater says:

Even Riddick?

4. Vollgassen says:

It’s not the developers fault that Alan Moore had to write a comic that is untranslatable to other mediums. They’re trying their best with the crap they’re given!

5. Alex says:

I hate being one of those people who says ‘I have nostalgic memories of [x], so anything new done with the IP must clearly be wrong and evil and bad’, but I’m expecting to hate this. Still keeping an open mind on the film, though.

6. Pags says:

Perhaps if we thought of it as a deconstruction of the videogames medium; by being a thumpy action game, it’s a commentary on how games are all thumpy action games?

7. Kadayi says:

For the love of God No!!!!!

The Movie, despite my reservations is actually looking like it might be quite good (although I’ve heard some dis quietening rumours about the ending), but this is not remotely good, in any way shape or form. This is the ungood.

Bets on some development house out there pondering a
    ‘The Road’ movie/game tie -in?

*shudders…

8. RiptoR says:

What is one of the Mushroomhead guitarist doing in that pic?

9. dhex says:

Having recently read Watchmen for the first time, I can say you can enjoy the novel itself and the deconstruction theme even if you’ve never been into comic books.

i agree, though i don’t think you get that much out of the deconstruction of super heroes unless you’ve had a decent amount of exposure to the form. there’s clearly stuff in there that i missed out on because i have no connection to the media and its history.

then again, i also think rorscharch is probably the most sympathetic and moral main character in the entire book, sooooooooooo yeeeaaaaaahhhhhh.

10. Pags says:

Kadayi: (Be warned, spoilerz ahead) The rumours of the ending are not rumours at all, though so far the only thing Snyder has confirmed he is changing is the squid, instead having Ozymandias unleash a series of nuclear-esque explosions in various cities across the world made to mirror Dr. Manhattan’s powers. So yeah, I guess it’s up to you to decide whether it works or not.

As for a movie/game tie-in for The Road, I think Bethesda just unwittingly released one.

11. Pags says:

Dhex: I always liked Rorschach most too. Go figure.

12. Scandalon says:

Dizet said:

You’re saying that Rorshach has an extra dimension other than meting out horrific violence?

- Yes. Look at who he started as, who he is underneath the mask. (And the fact that eventually the mask became his “skin”.) Remember also he had mercy on the landlady who did a “bad thing” for a bribe.

Actually, this right here illustrates why he is my favorite character – how you see him/feel about him, is largely dependent on you. He himself is a Rorschach test.

James – I’ve only read it once (via torrent), like a month or two ago, prompted by one of the previous articles here. I’ve bought maybe 4 comic books in my lifetime, none in the last 10 years, but as you can see, I rather enjoyed it. :P

13. Scandalon says:

Edit – Dhex/Pags: Thanks, “sympathetic” is the word I was looking for. I deleted a whole paragraph about why he was personally my favorite, but was afraid I’d have to spend a whole page of disclaimers that I don’t want to be a mentally unstable psychotic that steals people’s food and smells bad.

As for changing the ending…?!? Why?

14. Pags says:

Scandalon: I’m not entirely sure, there’s some mumbling about making the emphasis be on the characters and that the squid might detract from that, but I really couldn’t guess myself; well, I could, but it would be my inner-cynic saying it’s probably to make it more palatable to movie audiences, so I won’t go there (wait… bugger).

15. Grandstone says:

Not to be a film-school ass, but I like how Gorgeras’s film canon goes from Charlie Chaplin to Citizen Kane to The Wrath of Khan.

Movie games have always sucked (Riddick and Goldeneye excepted), and Rorschach is a fucked up individual, which makes me wonder how the game will handle that. On the other hand, his derangement is a pretty good excuse for whatever the player does in the unlikely event that the game gives the player lots of freedom.

16. Leeks! says:

Rorshach would really make a great (if hyper-violent) adventure game hero.

17. Kadayi says:

@Pags

Trust me Fallout 3 is a paradise of an environment compared to the cold bleak horror of Cormac McCarthys ‘The Road’

18. Pags says:

Oh, I know, I recently read it myself. Just a poor attempt at a joke :)

19. john t says:

If you watched Citizen Kane, you wouldn’t be impressed by Charlie Chaplain’s The Tramp, but The Tramp would have blown your socks off if it was the first moving picture you ever saw. If you watched Wrath of Kahn, you wouldn’t be impressed much by Citizen Kane anymore. Superman blew away Wrath of Kahn. The Matrix was so revolutionary it made Superman look like Superman IV. Now The Dark Knight arguably makes The Matrix look like Matrix Revolutions.

what

20. john t says:

Watchmen was the first comic book I’d ever read, and it was 15 years after it originally came out. I actually sat in a Borders and read it front to back in one sitting, because I couldn’t put it down. I’d absorbed enough Superhero history from watching Saturday Morning Cartoons and having nerd friends for me to get it, and the Annotated Watchmen filled me in on everything I’d missed.

21. Grandstone says:

@john t

That’s what I said!

22. Mr. President says:

Just be happy that it’s only a harmless prequel and not the butchering of the main story. Imagine what a gigantic pile of crap that game would be. Guess who you would have to fight during a final showdown in New York?

23. mister slim says:

@Pags

Another reason for removing the squid would be that the squid only makes sense in the context of the story with the pirate comic and the island subplot featuring the comic creator and the artist, and the movie’s not going to have time to go into that. Personally I think that will be the main thing I miss in the movie, the richness of all the interwoven stories that a movie doesn’t have space for.

24. Rodafowa says:

I’m wondering if as a non-comic reader I’d actually end up appreciating what Watchmen was trying to do.

As with others here, Watchmen was one of the first comics I ever read. Forget the deconstructionist stuff, you should read it because it’s brilliantly written. It’s funny, it’s clever, it’s exciting, it’s moving, it’s frightening, it’s packed with memorable characters and cracking dialogue. Oh, and it’s beautifully drawn. That enough for you? :)

25. Solario says:

SPOILERS:

The ending changes are a thematic nightmare. Making it seem like Manhattan’s fault is in no way going to unite the world against an outside threat. This just means that the American government is punished by nemesis for their hubris of utilizing a modern day god for their own gains.

It’s a terrible change. There’s a reason the squid is layered with telepathic images to suggest that it’s an extraterrestrial threat.