LoTR Online: speak friend and enter your username

By Kieron Gillen on November 18th, 2008 at 11:19 pm.

Yeah, Hobbits really do struggle to be convincing action heroes.

It’s really the silly season. A week after the latest expansion to Azeroth, Lord of the Rings Online’s Mines of Moria has been released (And EQ2 too). We interviewed Jeffrey Steefel about it a couple of months back when I had a play on the closed Beta code. And while I enjoyed it, the season being so packed, I haven’t had a chance to go back and play the open Beta. And now it’s too late. Man! Anyway – here’s the new launch trailer to tease what really can be described as the Ur-dungeon.

Well, if you’re as big a ponce as I am.

As a matter of interest, how many people out there are playing Lord of the Rings Online? If so, why do you love it enough to be your MMO of choice. I enjoyed my time with it, certainly, but it didn’t capture me – why did it get you?

Speak. Verily. Or sit down and start singing about gold farmers, if that’s your thing.

(Er… The Hobbit gag. Sorry.)

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Dolphan says:

I got to about 25/26 (about 30 on WoW, which is what I’ve just got to for the first time – we’ll see if it does any better). It had a lovely world, lots of nice touches, solid combat and questing and a real sense of connection to the books if, y’know, you like that sort of thing. Reaching Rivendell for the first time after a dangerous run past lots of higher-level enemies felt pretty epic.

The problem I had was that I was levelling in a relatively deserted server, so the very best bit of the game, the storyline quests, were made irritating. I wanted to do the storyline, but 3 or 4 solo quests in a chapter would be followed by a series of group quests, which I could go for a long, long time without being able to find a group for. So I gave up and broke out WoW.

2. DeliriumWartner says:

Was that an Uruk-Hai roaring about 2/3s of the way in? I’m pretty sure they weren’t in Moria, at least when the Fellowship pass through. Mind you, I’m not sure when the game is meant to be based, not having played it.

Is the game based on the book, or the movies, just out of curiousity?

3. Devan says:

It’s based on the book, and takes place after the fellowship has already passed through Moria (you’re always kind of on their tail).
    Lotro is the only subscription MMO I own, and I have a lifetime membership but haven’t played in a few months. Just been too busy with other stuff.

4. BrokenSymmetry says:

The main draw of LOTRO for me is that is has a very long main storyline (the “epic” quests) that always drives you forward. The epic quests are of a great variety, from very simple solo quests in the world, to group quests in instances.

5. Dolphan says:

Yeah, the fellowship tend to move along as you do – while you’re doing the early game stuff it ties in (you meet gandalf at Bree after he’s missed the hobbits, for example, in a room you can only get into while you’re on those quests) and they end up in Rivendell waiting for the council etc while you do the second half of the game. IIRC Devan is right, they’ve already passed through Moria in the expansion.

It’s very much based on the books, some aesthetic influences from the films notwithstanding. Tom Bombadil’s in it, for one thing.

6. Leelad says:

About the video

1. Stood on a hill where the mob can’t get you? “EVADE” :(

2. Did I head a TIE fighter?

7. Leelad says:

hear*

WER DID EDIT GO?!!

8. Yontan says:

Currently holding a lifetime sub for it. It held me with the storyline, entertaining RP kinship, and having a best mate who played it.
    What made it playable without those things were the pugs though. I loved the PUG’s, with the high chance of meeting people with a similar interest in lotr lore and good times. I’ve play through quests along side characters that shaped my childhood dreams. When I tanked against a Ring Wraith in one of the epic quests, it was one of the most memorable scenes of my gaming history. I’m tempted to return, if it wasn’t for those pesky assignments at uni. I’ve got CoX waiting on the sidelines, but I think both Lotro and CoX will have to wait till next summer.
    Thats what a lifetime sub is for though. :D

9. arbitrary says:

I love Lord of the Rings Online. Players seem overall more mature, quests are interesting (not the grinds, of course), but the epic storyline is done really well. The graphics are beautiful and it’s not quite as ‘bleh’ as World of Warcraft, it feels more exclusive and quiet and I just find it an interesting place to be. I love the classes, they do hybrids really well!

10. mcw says:

Did I hear a Wookie and a Tie Fighter sound in that trailer? Somebody call George :)

11. mbp says:

Lovely community on my Lotro server is the big one for me. All in all the game feels much less competitive than WoW, no one is too pushed about getting server firsts.

The regular feed of new content from Turbine is nice too. Its a game that is nice to come back to after a break. I took a six month absence and when I came back there was a whole lot of great new end game content to enjoy.

Although I enjoy the occasional raid I don’t have the time to be a dedicated raider. The book quests qive me a sense of direction and purpose in game.

12. trioptimum says:

Nice to know that there are other RPS readers playing this game.

What do I like about it? A mature community, high-volume addition of content, a world that feels larger than just the game, an aesthetic that’s less cartoonish than most of its competition, and an epic quest storyline that gives some sense of progression and completion.

But more than that is the confidence that this title has a long way to go yet. The game launched a year ago and was followed by six huge free content updates, and its first expansion is now out and that will be followed by a year worth of free content updates, and at that point… the game will only be level with the end of The Fellowship of the Ring. It’s nice to play a game with an almost guaranteed long life ahead of it, one that’s following a roadmap to continually bigger and better things, rather than the games out there which have arguably passed their creative peak.

It’s not a particularly original game — it’s down there in the same rut as most other MMOs, no question, with the same old grinding/inventory/travel issues — and to be honest I’m not convinced it’s better than Guild Wars, but the artfulness of the game and frequency of the content are enough to keep me playing.

13. Frans Coehoorn says:

Loved every bit of LOTRO, but unfortunately for them I won’t return in the near future. Unless, of course, they provide me with a review copy of the game and a level boost to 50. Why? Way too other games.

And no, I won’t return to Azeroth either.

14. Grill says:

I’ve also got that lifetime membership thingy, but I’ve not had a chance to play for a while (too many big games atm). It is absolutely excellent though, the best traditional MMO out there; it’s just hard to find the right groups for the story instances.

15. Dokkenor says:

Love the LOTRO… now with the Moria expansion … it adds alot to the game. About server populations … this can be tricky… you want a server that isn’t maxed but also do not want one that is empty… A tough balance… but getting in with a Kinship to circumvent random PUGs helps… esp now that Moria has 20+ more dungeons added to the mix…

16. AlabasterSlim says:

I really enjoyed LOTRO. Once the gaming glut I have in front of me dies down I may check it out again. But with the backlog of amazing games I have, I just don’t see that happening.

17. Aquarion says:

I’m enjoying LOTRO a lot, and as others have said, it’s the generic MMO but with an actual running plotline that makes me like it more. Although with the complete collapse of my old kin it’s a bit more crap. (Solutions on a postcard to aq @gkhs.net)