Internet In New Games Blog Shocker!

By Jim Rossignol on November 18th, 2008 at 8:28 pm.

I was just about to add a “thanks” to the end of the post that will follow this one when I realised the thankee was worth a post on its own. The blog in question is Offworld, the new gaming expansion from internet-cornerstone BoingBoing. Not only does this promise to be a superb place for me to steal news from (as you’ll see in a moment) but it’s also run by friend-of-RPS and one-time contributor, Brandon Boyer. Esoterica-loving Boyer is one of the finest Americans of the 21st century, and he’s all the more delightful for having hired me to produce a regular column for Offworld. Man, gotta love that collapsed value of the British Pound!

Thanks, Offworld! Thoffworld.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Trezoristo says:

Looks like a nice blog. A shame that it can’t get along with opera (the browser) though…

2. Mil says:

And to boot their logo is 100 to 115 times cooler than RPS’s.

3. Jim Rossignol says:

How dare you! Our logo is the hard-won result of literally minutes of agonising work in MS Paint. (Probably.)

4. qrter says:

Nice Look around you (2nd series) reference, there.

RPS’ “logo” might look a bit crap, but it is the better named blog, I think we can all agree on that, I really think we can.

5. KBKarma says:

@Jim: Thanks, Jim. Thim.

@Trezoristo: Seems to work fine for me. What version of Opera are you running?

@qrter: First season, surely?

6. Pags says:

How regular will this column be exactly? Not that I probably won’t be compulsively checking this blog now it’s gained passage into my bookmarks…

Thanks Rossingnol. Throssingnol.

7. Quater says:

As I think I mentioned on the forum last night, this new blog already has my endless thanks for introducing me to the line “Yes, I am the cat who swims on the ground”, which has now become my favourite piece of games dialogue apart from “What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk… Have at you!”.

8. PleasingFungus says:

Quarter: That line is only so wonderful because of the terrible, terrible voice acting that delivered it. I have no ear for voice acting, and even I thought it was rubbish. (I liked Oblivion’s voice acting!)

My brother and I agreed that Konami had hired hobos off the street to do the voice acting for that game. It seemed the obvious conclusion.

9. Quater says:

The voice acting is the key, but it was bad in a way that made the whole thing become completely epic. I’m playing the re-translated new dub on the PSP version and they’ve just ruined it entirely. Now it’s not good bad, it’s just bad. No hobo could possibly muster the deranged, hammy majesty of that original Dracula voice actor.

I am also going to start a new movement, of people demanding more “HAVE AT YOU!” In videogames. I can’t remember the last time I heard a good Have At You. Every game needs at least one.

10. McCool says:

I hope the”Look Around You” references never die.

Comment on this story