“Hot Hot Hex”: Elven Legacy

By Jim Rossignol on November 20th, 2008 at 11:58 am.

Ino Co’s latest strategy game, Elven Legacy, (previous was the honestly named Fantasy Wars) is a mighty purdy lookin’ turn-based affair which, as you might have been able to deduce from its name, features elves: “A rogue human has discovered the treasured secrets of the elven race and for the first time in centuries, elves are forced to enter the world of man in order to protect this sacred information.” And that means hot, turn-based action. Ino Co are keen to emphasize that the game not only features dozens of different unit types, but that there’s also a complex MMO-style character editor for the creation of unique fantasy heroes. After the excellence of King’s Bounty this year, we’d be hard pressed to dismiss this. We’ll be able to take a look at it in Q1 of next year. Trailer after the jump.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Caiman says:

Why would I be able to deduce from the name Hot Hot Hex that this game features elves?

Oh, hold on…

2. Bobsy says:

Rrrmmmph. Doesn’t exactly look inspiring. Very stiff-looking.

3. subedii says:

It does a nerds’ heart good to see that we can still get a good turn based strategy game every now and again. Hope to see a demo soon. Well, first I hope that King’s Bounty gets released in stores soon (There’s Gamersgate, but I guess I’d prefer a physical copy).

4. Feet says:

Febuary for Kings Bounty in UK shops I heard. And don’t forget about Elemental: War of Magic as another great TBS game coming around in a playable form next year. HINT HINT RPS PEOPLE. http://www.elementalgame.com

5. Smurfy says:

Shut up.

6. jalf says:

Fantasy Wars was surprisingly awesome. I’ll have to give this a shot

7. eyemessiah says:

Yay for hexes. Finest of all PC gaming stereotypes.

8. Larington says:

Always nice to occasionally see a developer steer clear of real time gaming elitism. Can’t have every game be realtime, that just gets tiresome, especially when you have the worst hangover ever and need to play something that gives you time to sit and think/suffer.

9. Tei says:

My last Hex (or Quad) was Master of Magic.
    My last Tie Fighter game was “X-Win vs Tie Fighter”.

I still want to play more of that. But the new titles feel inferior to MoM or Tie. I can’t play stuff like X3 because to me feel inferior to Tie Fighter. For some crazy reason.

10. Corbeaubm says:

Fantasy Wars was good, and Elven Legacy promises to be better from what I’ve read about it (the trailer is pretty boring, but that’s what happens when you showcase turn-based gameplay). I will be buying Elven Legacy for sure.

11. Nick says:

Tei: because it IS inferior, nothing crazy about it, TIE Fighter has been the pinnacle of space combat games and the only thing close in terms of quality has been freespace 2.

I am glad there is another game from the Fantasy Wars guys, I enjoyed FW for the most part, though the increasingly cruel lack of units if you lost some and extreme lack of money to buy new ones unless you were somehow able to complete a mission in 3 turns with an already diminished force to get the extra bonus made it a slippery slope if you had a close game.

12. cheeba says:

I really wanted to like it, but Fantasy Wars was dull as sin. I think the major offender was the classic turn-based flaw, units that soak up far too much punishment before they die. Also, it was generic on a level even generic fantasy mmo XVII would balk at.

For some decent Fantasy TBS that almost nobody played, Ascension to the Throne was surprisingly good, once you got past the stupidest difficulty curve (difficulty cliff, more like) known to man. They must’ve missed the part in playtesting where your hero could be easily killed in the first turn of the first battle, ending your game, unless you were very, very lucky/careful. Still, it opened up nicely after that.

13. Nick says:

“I think the major offender was the classic turn-based flaw, units that soak up far too much punishment before they die”

Hmm, I’ll have to disagree with that, both in it being the classic turn based flaw and a flaw of Fantasy Wars.

14. Stitched says:

Playing King’s Bounty, while definitely a pretty game, reminded me why I can never really go back to turn-based combat again; not after Baldur’s Gate or any other fantasy-style game (featuring overhead view combat). It’s the same reason why I dropped replaying Fallout 1 and 2; arguably both really great games in their time. I just don’t have the time for 15 minutes of random combat against spiders and knights again and again. It’s infuriating, does nothing to push the story, and it’s boring.

15. eyemessiah says:

@Stitched

Agreed, I can’t stand it when killing trash mobs takes more than 60s. If I get the opportunity to skip those fights I always take it (menu toggle cheat in Phantasy Star on the megadrive for instance!), but the catch is that often what you are skipping turns out to be 90% of the gameplay. Sucks!

16. Stitched says:

@eyemessiah

It’s also the reason I could never get into Final Fantasy, as a series. A bunch of random encounters to make the game last 100+ hours and to level you up so that you can survive boss encounters. Ridiculous game design. Maybe it’s gotten better since FFX but I wouldn’t know. I only played 7 (never finished) and X (also never finished).