Spare A Dollar For G-Man?

By Kieron Gillen on November 20th, 2008 at 11:22 am.

To celebrate Half-life being 10 years old this week, Valve have thrown a special offer. You can get the original half-life for 98 (count ‘em!) cents until November 21st. That’s literally cheap. Also, inexpensive. Also, value for money.

Er… that’s all. How can I enliven this post. Oh, I know: I’ve still never completed Half-life 1. What enormous gaping holes are in your play-histories, readers?

, , .

1. Random Encounter says:

Nah, I dont install new ones before the old one is completed =).

2. Valentin Galea says:

Random: We demand to see the list!:)

3. Paul Moloney says:

Random: That is a single-mindedness I could never achieve. I must have a few dozen games across three formats (PC, Wii and GBA) that I could consider I’m currently playing, albeit some of those I parked a year or two ago.

P.

4. Valentin Galea says:

Random: We demand to see your medicine cabinet!:)

5. Ted says:

Anyone who hasn’t finished Planescape really needs to. Especially if you get to a pretty much complete ending where you’ve discovered the underlying truth of your character, the ending cut scene after the final run of dialogue is just beautifully poignant.

6. Skittles the Motherloving Pirate says:

G-man looks like David Byrne. Creepy.

7. Pags says:

I think I’ve worked out why developers insist on having rubbish endings. Based on what people seem to be saying here, no-one ever finishes anything.

8. Poet says:

I for some reason cant get Team Fortress 2 finished, even after 500+ hours of play!! I’m not even the least bit bothered or embarrassed by it either. :)

9. MrMistofales says:

Never finished Spore, The Longest Journey, Oblivion, any Monkey Island Games, Thief 3, Deus Ex, Deus Ex: IW, Warcraft 3, Halo, or Pathologic.

10. sbs says:

Fallout 1+2, and Max Payne 2 come to mind.
    Of course there is Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines – Watched a fucking speedrun to see the ending. The game kept freezing on my, at some point I didn’t have the patience anymore to reboot every 20 Minutes just for the sake of being more and more frustrated by the bad endgame.

This are the games I am unlikely to ever finish.
    I guess I could name alot more, but I pretend I’m just taking a break from those for a few months(years, really).

11. egg says:

Games I played, never finished, but intend to finish one day (or at least would like to):

Planescape Torment
    Anachronox
    The Witcher
    Grim Fandango
    Monkey Island (any of them, tbh)

Hot shit, it pains me to know the games I would like to finish are exactly the longest of them.

12. elefaire says:

Pikmin is probably the only unfinished game I actually want to finish, just never bother hooking my Cube up. It’ll happen this xmas, I think.

I’d like to play Baldur’s Gate to the end, but after starting it twice and giving up (once for the typical RPG bullshit of being under-levelled to move on in the story and once since my favourite party member left me because I was getting too many good boy points) I don’t think that’ll happen. It’s on my “save it for co-op at the retirement home” list now.

13. RichPowers says:

I rarely finish any story-driven games, which is why I’m drawn to online shooters, simulations, and “skirmish” games (GalCiv, Sins of a Solar Empire, SupCom, CivIV)

Some notables I need to finish: Deus Ex, Baldur’s Gate 1 and 2, Fallout 1 and 2, Titan Quest, Diablo II

14. Alex says:

I never finished Space Quest 6 since a bug in the game meant that my computer was incapable of getting past the part where you stick the goon’s hair sample in the medical scanner thingie.

From what I’ve heard from people who were able to play past that point, my computer was doing me a favour.

15. Grey_Ghost says:

Chronomaster
    Might have been crashing that prevented me, but it always bothered me I didn’t play more of this game.

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
    This game still makes me unsettled to this day. I got to the part where they were all in a cage, but could never motivate myself to finish it. I remember it being frustratingly hard as a game.

Odium
    Played this games demo, enjoyed it, then bought the game because of it. Played the finished product for about 5 minutes, then never touched it again.

Grim Fandango
    No excuse.

16. Ginger Yellow says:

“I dont install new ones before the old one is completed ”

If I had the patience to do that I’d be a rich man. Or, at least, less skint.

17. Valentin Galea says:

Btw, what’s the longest game ever? Apart from optional stuff that is.

I finished Okami in about 47 hours and say 7 were spent sidetracking & etc.

18. Dorsch says:

I’m ashamed I never finished WC3: The Frozen Throne. That mission where you had too free the paladin and take out the narga base in less than 30 minutes was too hard for me. I enjoyed it up to this point, but my brain is incapable of being decent at RTS games it seems.

19. Kerotan says:

Half Life 2

Deus Ex

I’m working on both.

20. Fumarole says:

Don’t worry guys, there’s a support group for those of you who never seem to finish games:

I find it helps me keep track of what I should go back to playing when the wallet is a bit tight.

21. Fat Zombie says:

Hmm.
    Never played: Psychonauts, Ico (and in a similar vein, Shadow of the Colossus); Okami, Uplink, Darwinia, any of the Ace Attorney series, that Elite Beat Agents thing, Grim Fadango, Full Throttle, Planescape; Torment, Fallout, Anachronox, any of the Thief games, World of Warcraft, Warcraft, erm… post some more classics, I’ll probably not have played them.

Completed? The above list, obviously, plus 4/5 my current game collection. I’m not very good at finishing videogames. I did finish Half Life 2, though, on my first playthrough. So I’m kinda pleased about that. I also finished Unreal 2. And, erm. Some other things, I think?

22. Heliocentric says:

Psychonauts is free over gametap btw, as is fallout.

free that’s like £1 less than £1… actually, with the way the pound is free falling against the dollar its probably less than that!

23. Urinat0r says:

Yay, i can finally try The Specialists

24. Saflo says:

I used to very rarely finish games, partly because I played a lot of sandboxy/sim stuff, partly because I was utilitarian about it: I extracted all the fun I needed for the time being, on to more productive endeavors. I’ve been trying to be more open to narrative-driven games lately, though, and have been making a point to see them through.

25. Fat Zombie says:

Eh.

26. Fat Zombie says:

@Urinat0r:

That’s actually what I was also interested in. Needless to say, I’ve purchased this for me and a friend who already owns it, but has lost the disc. (Plus, it’s something that will run on his laptop)

As for Psychonauts, eh. I’ve never really been too interested in playing it.

27. Saflo says:

As for Psychonauts, eh. I’ve never really been too interested in playing it.

Don’t let that stop you!

28. Him says:

Well I’ve never finished Half Life either. I got up to a silly platforming section around what I believe was a reactor and thought to myself… ‘Enough. I want to shoot, not jump.’

29. Fat Zombie says:

What about the fact that ages of countless praise has rendered me bitter about it, in a classic case of Hype Backlash: what with all the gushing about the unique story and amazing characters and oh you must try this level where a thing happens and it’s so amazing you should play it you’ll be supporting indie developers and Tim Schafer Oh God I love Tim Schafer play it why aren’t you playing it yet play it play it play it and so on.

It’s like Dark Knight all over again. And yes, I know that I did like that after I watched it (heck, I saw it twice in cinemas: such a thing is unique for me), but that had pencil-based killing and a scene with my favourite weapon (the RPG: Oh how I love thee) which reminded me of GTA IV in a good way.

But anyway. I guess what I’m trying to say is: I’m weak-willed and unoriginal. I know what I like (violent death with a side of guns and explosions), I like Left 4 Dead and Call of Duty 4 because they feature both.

Also, I’ve never watched The Middleman or Firefly, and I never listened to Dr. Horrible’s Singalong Blog.

Feel free to burn me now.

30. Saflo says:

I think we’ve all been in that position; it’s a matter of making an effort to give something a chance. The praise is particularly loud because the game only found a large audience after being unfairly ignored at release. All I can give you is my word that, then, that it really is that good, and endears itself to you with great speed.

31. Angel Dust says:

Man, I am quite surprised at the responses here! I would have thought posters on this site would be the kinds of people to finish everything. I certainly do and the only exceptions is when a crash is preventing me which Dead Space is currently doing :( I don’t think I’m better than anyone because I do finish 99% of my games though, I am just genuinely surprised!

32. Angel Dust says:

Oh yeah, I should probably add that, after playing games for many many years, I am very good at knowing which games will interest me so I don’t have any games that fall into the “I got bored/didn’t like it pile”. There have been some that pushed me though and I only completed them for the story eg Bioshock and FEAR

33. Fat Zombie says:

Fine. I’ll download it.
    But I’m not playing Beyond Good & Evil, because there are some lines that I must keep if I am to have any appearance of misanthropy. And I’m not buying Darwinia (or goddamnit, Multiwinia); I already bought Defcon, and that’s impossible to play (I’m not a strategy fan). Still, it gains points for having Mutually Assured Destruction.

34. Oddtwang says:

Meat Circus? Thanks for reminding me of that – that little niggle in the back of my head of never finishing an otherwise awesome game just became huge again!

My list is endless – I buy games at a faster rate than I can play them, which is retarded but there it is. do the same with books too.

Lessee; Psychonauts, SS2, NWN2, either Baldurs Gate (just ordered the second one though), Dead Space, Lego Batman, Bioshock – the list goes on. Oh, and I’ve yet to beat any of the many Roguelikes which distract me from playing the other things :)

35. hydra9 says:

I have a long list of games I’ve started but never finished… The most painful ones are those that I really enjoyed, but for no particular reason stopped playing and never went back to.

Half-Life is a special case, though. I haven’t finished it either. I played it when it first came out. I honestly didn’t like it. It annoyed me. But I got right to the final boss. And then stopped playing. Not because it was too hard. Just because.

Even though I didn’t like the game, it always bugged me that I’d never finished it. But I’d sold my copy. So I finally gave in, bought another copy for £1 many years later, and tried again. Enjoyed it *a bit* more this time, but was stopped by the infamous ‘lift bug.’ Gave up in disgust, threw the disc away(!).

Now it’s 2008, I’m a L4D fan, I bought the Orange Box last week… so maybe I’ll buy Half-life for the *third* time, and give it one more shot.

36. hydra9 says:

98 cents (actually $1.14 after tax, through PayPal) seemed too good to resist. I bought it. Hopefully I will enjoy it, and finish it, on my third attempt.

I also wanted to mention my worst ever case of ‘unfinished game lingering guilt.’ Westwood Studios’ groundbreaking, brilliant Dune II.

I bought it in 1992, and absolutely loved it. My brother and I played it for weeks, until my monitor blew up (seriously). At which point I think I cried. Anyway, I got beaten by the final mission (I was quite young and crap at the time). And I gave up.

I was haunted by the feeling of unfinished business until last year when I reinstalled Dune II, gritted my teeth, played through and completed it. You know what? It still holds up well to this day. A great game, and really not very difficult.

Now I just have to complete it with the other two factions…

37. Gap Gen says:

Actually, Meat Circus isn’t that bad now I’ve completed the game three times. Sure it’s annoying, but once you know what to do and have practice at the controls, it’s not all pain. Once you complete the acrobatic-flooding section, it’s plain sailing.

38. fulis says:

“I never finished Far Cry, though. I got to the volcano, then gave up in the bastard corridor filled with men with rocket launchers.”

Christ, that place was a mess.
    I mean, it starts off pretty bad when they throw you out of the chopper with only 10 shots and an island full of tridgens. Then the volcano, then that corridor with men behind each pillar that all step out at the same time.

It get even worse than that when you fight Kruger, and then it gets ABSURD. There’s also a twist in the last 5 minutes of the game which is kind of lame. Hard as HELL on realistic

HL1 isn’t that hard though. I love the platforming. Or at least like

39. Matt says:

I just want to leave everyone with the ability to download the high-def pack for Half-Life free through steam.

Then click on the link in the black box.

The game will look better.

40. Bas says:

- All Baldur’s Gate games and everything else that runs on the engine.

- Thief series

- System Shock series (couldn’t get into it)

- Fallout 2 (couldn’t get into it)

41. Ginger Yellow says:

“But I’m not playing Beyond Good & Evil, because there are some lines that I must keep if I am to have any appearance of misanthropy. ”

Oh, go on. 1Up FM are doing it for their next backlog game.

42. Bill says:

Never finished Far Cry. I gave up at the Monster Island stage, but I was getting pretty bored by that point anyway.

I loved the eerie atmospherics of Xen, but why the hell did they fill it with those damn jumping puzzles? Took me forever to kill the stupid Nihilanth.

43. James T says:

Hey guys, is the one-dollar Half-Life the ‘unmolested’ original, or is it Half-Life Source? I’ve been playing it, but I have no idea what to look for to check (water, I figured, but I’m still none the wiser).

44. James T says:

Oh yeah, ‘Beyond Good and Evil’, I haven’t finished that yet either; I just don’t find it very enticing, it’s… almost like a po-faced ‘Psychonauts’ in tone, what with the whole incongruous Saturday-morning-cartoon aesthetic (it’s just incongruous for a different reason, I guess). I kind of enjoyed it a bit, I just never think of returning to it, even when I’m bored.

…That teaser for the sequel was totally awesome though.

45. James T says:

G-man looks like David Byrne. Creepy.

I’m G-Man / AND THAT’S A FACT! / I’ve found out / Vortigaunts don’t help! / Vortigaunts think / They’re real cool cats / Stealing my Gordon / We’ll see about that!

Those Vortigaunts don’t need money / They’re living on crabs and zombies / They think they know what’s best / They’re making a FOOL of us!…

46. solomun says:

Baldur’s Gate: The Brief History of Time of videogames.

47. hydra9 says:

@solomun:
    Much better if you can find a good friend to spend weeks playing it in 2-player co-op. Yeah, easier said than done…

Note: I’m awake right now due to Half-Life.

48. droid says:

Games I have started but not finished:

Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout: Tactics
    Final Fantasy 7 (will finish)
    Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy X2 (got about halfway through each game, realized I didn’t care about the story or game.)
    Planescape: Torment (might finish)
    Nethack
    AliensRL
    DoomRL
    Dwarf Fortress (no victory condition, still fun.)
    Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines (way too much work to finish)
    Deus Ex
    HL2 (This game makes me seasick, don’t know why. I might finish it with the mod Synergy. HL1 is worse, I only played the demo.)
    XCOM (Have squad ready for final mission, have not finished final mission. Aliens will rule the earth!)

Many of these would go faster if I used quicksave more often. This does not include games I started but did not intend to finish, nor games that I haven’t played.

49. DigitalSignalX says:

Wow, very surprising to see so many people don’t finish games. I’m pretty OCD about it in comparison, can only recall not completing Descent II a long time ago and Bioshock more recently. When I get frustrated with a game, cheat codes usually expedite a quick finish just to get it over with.

50. Anthony Damiani says:

One day, before I die, I sincerely intend to save the princess in Super Mario Brothers.

Thought I had once. Turned out she was in another castle.