Looks Like You’re Going To Have To… Download!

By John Walker on November 21st, 2008 at 12:21 am.

A typical day in RPS Castle.

Telltale’s Strong Bad episodic adventures continue to prove themselves leagues ahead of the disappointing Sam & Max series (yeah, want to fight about it?). Episode 3 was completely stunning, some of the finest adventure gaming I’ve had in a very long while. In case you missed it, you can get the demo here. And now the demo for the next episode is out, and here’s the full title:

Is that a record?

Dangeresque began as a spoof action movie on the Homestar Runner site. Well, actually it began with Dangeresque II: This Time, It’s Not Dangeresque 1. Then, a few months later, came Dangerseque I: Dangeresque, Too?, despite Strong Bad having previously promised Dangeresque 3. Well now, four and a half years later, the promise is delivered on in the latest game. It has to be the most in-jokey game of all time. I strongly recommend watching both the cartoons before even starting with this, so I’ve put them below (or follow the previous links for the fullsize versions). Then the trailer for the new ep.

Oh, and if you play the full game you’ll see the trailer for the next and final episode. It’s the one I’ve been waiting for!

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Ted says:

Every one of these has been really good, but this one is definitely the best yet.

2. Rook says:

Speaking of adventure games, and has anyone tried the demo to A Vampyre Story? (http://www.gamershell.com/download_35998.shtml)

I didn’t even realise this was coming out as I thought it was in development hell.

Also the same and max games (new ones) were completely rubbish.

3. Vollgassen says:

I just bought the whole series based on one sentence in this article…

Am I a fool?

We shall see.

4. Pantsman says:

I actually liked the first season of Sam & Max, but the second was a big disappointment. You could always tell that they weren’t written by S&M’s creator, though.

5. Quater says:

Yeah, I DO want to fight about it :P

I thought the new Sam & Max series was completely fantastic from start to finish, and the second series was only a massive improvement over the first due to a big leap in gameplay variety. When you’ve got writing and characterisation as good as the new S&M games, it’s an easily overlooked problem, imo.

Yeah they all suffered from frustrating click-everything-on-everything-else gameplay, but what adventure game doesn’t have that problem at some point?

I haven’t bothered to play any of the Strongbad games so far due to simply not having any interest in the source material but I daresay I’ll check them out sometime soon.

6. Quater says:

that post got mangled due to lack of an edit button – the comment about writing & characterisation was supposed to come AFTER the bit about the frustrating click-everywhere gameplay :(

7. Pags says:

I was just having a conversation with someone on RPS chat about these games earlier today. So far I’ve only played the demos of ep.1 & 2, but judging by the way things are going I might have to fork out for the whole set eventually. Good jooooooooorrb, Telltale.

8. baf says:

For what it’s worth, the full title is “Strong Bad’s Cool Game For Attractive People: Episode 4: Dangeresque 3: The Criminal Projective”.

9. John Walker says:

Crap! So it is. I KNEW there was something (having reviewed it – I’m so rubbish). Will fix.

10. Cole says:

I would just like to say that it is nice to hear someone else say that Sam and Max was rubbish. I had avoided Strong Bad because the same people who told me Sam and Max were back were telling me that a web cartoon was a great adventure game. I’ll have to give Strongbad a chance.

11. Ben Abraham says:

As evidence of the cultural cache that Strongbad and the whole Homestar Runner crew have – there is some kind of industrial building up in the North West of Sydney (Normandhurst, specifically) with a spray painted pic of Homestar Runner on it. It’s been there for at least 5 or 6 years.

12. Pilouuuu says:

Mmm, having just played the first episode I must say that I simply couldn’t get into the game. The humour style simply is not to my taste.

Am I the only one? Have anyone else been put off by the strange characters, humour and whole set of Strong Bad’s? It seem that not being a fan and having no previous knowledge of the series kept me from enjoy it. Should I try play the other episodes and I will like it some more?

And about Sam and Max… Wow, I found it quite fantastic and one of the best adventure experience I had in recent years. It’s really funny, with continuity between episodes and cool characters and setting. I like the humour style here too. And the second season was leagues ahead of the first.

Can’t wait for Wallace and Gromit!

13. Quater says:

@ Pilouuuu: THANKYOU! Someone agrees about Sam & Max! I think the doubters just have a serious rose-tinted thing going on about the original. The new ones are funnier and more fun to play.

14. A-Scale says:

You’re a fool for not appreciating the quality of the Sam and Max games. I was not a fan of the S&M series before those games, but I certainly am now. The storylines were always hilarious and inventive. Season 2 blew season 1 out of the water, with the exception of a few episodes in each category. Abe Lincoln Must Die is one of my favorite games. Ever. Ice Station Santa has DEFINED my Christmas since it came out.

Repent now.

15. Andrew says:

I’m in the middle of playing Baddest of the Bands and enjoying it. It made me laugh out loud, which is rare for anything when I’m not watching/playing it with other people.

16. Tunips says:

Strong Bad’s Cool Game For Attractive People: Episode 4: Dangeresque 3: The Criminal Projective has 14 words and 95 characters. The longest other game title I can think of is The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-earth II: The Rise of the Witch-King, which has 17 words and 81 characters. I’ve always counted sentence length by words, under which criteria Telltale have failed to break any record. But I’m sure there are those who would wish to differ.

17. Saul says:

Sorry to do this here, but can one of you RPS boys help me with the forum? I’ve registered as ‘Saul’, but I can’t login or retrieve my password, and I can’t re-register, because the name and email are taken.

18. Bret says:

Most colony title I’ve seen is The Chronicles of Solomon Stone: Volume One: Book One: Enter: Solomon: Stone Me Deadly.

19. Caiman says:

I’ve seen the various gameplay clips for the Sam and Max games, and the Strongbad games, and the humour just leaves me completely cold. Is it just me, or what?

20. ChaosSmurf says:

SBCGFAP:E4:D3:TCP

Sehbehkehjeh-fap-eee-four-dee-three-tehcehpeh. This is how it must be said. No wimping out with “Strong Bad 4″

21. The Sombrero Kid says:

so that’s what that string of letters in steam is i thought someone was writing their own app and added it to their steam list.

22. Del Boy says:

I have no idea what Homestar Runner is. Or Strong Bad.

23. Craymen Edge says:

I liked both series of Sam & Max, but I like SBCGFAP much more. I really didn’t expect it to be that way.

I can’t wait to see what they do with Wallace & Grommit now.

24. Lars Westergren says:

I loved Sam and Max, but have been really unimpressed with Strong Bad so far (played a little bit of two demos). Perhaps the SB puzzles are better, but I just don’t connect with the sense of humor, and I don’t find any character the least bit likable. That the series the games are based on has never been broadcast in Sweden probably doesn’t help…

Really looking forward to Wallace and Gromit though.

25. Duke says:

To Lars Westergren (and anyone else confused about the awesomeness that is Strong Bad):
    As far as I know they have never been ‘broadcast’ anywhere. It’s all small flash animations on

Do yourself a favor and go take a look. It may take a while to get into the weird-but-not-too-weird humor, but I’ve always loved it :)

26. Paul Moloney says:

P.

27. Ginger Yellow says:

“I gave the demo of the first game a very quick go (since I’m not particularly an adventure fan) and the humour didn’t really click with me either. I feel like it was one big in-joke I was not in on.”

So get it on it. There’s not point banging your head against a brick wall wondering why you don’t enjoy the game. Just go and watch the cartoons. You’ll like them or you won’t. If you do, you’ll love the game.

28. Paul Moloney says:

“I not point banging your head against a brick wall wondering why you don’t enjoy the game.”

As I said, I gave it a quick go, didn’t get it, and moved on. I’m certainly not banging my head wondering why I don’t get it; it was just an observation as to why to why I’m not interested in the game.

P.

29. Ocho says:

Everybody’s entitled to their opinion, and I’m another person who love Sam & Max, but can’t really connect with the humor in Strongbad.

I played the first SB episode, and soon realized that it’s one thing to spend a few minutes on the Homestar site for a quick gag or two, but it didn’t hold my attention in the long term.

I feel Sam & Max presents a richer, more nuanced world which is more fun to explore. But that’s just me.

30. Ryan says:

Am I the only one who thought those were just too retarded to be funny?

31. Pags says:

@Ryan: yes.

@All those who have stated a preference for the Sam & Max games that aren’t Hit the Road: repent.

32. Ted says:

I missed the original Sam and Max the first time around, but played it recently after playing the new ones (which are great). It sucked pretty bad. Probably the worst, most obtuse puzzles in the entire LucasArts catalog.

33. Quater says:

Yeah went back and played Hit the Road again a few months ago. It really hasn’t aged well. Apart from the fecking ridiculously obtuse puzzles (it’s pretty much the ultimate trial-and-error, click-everything-on-everything game) the humour doesn’t quite work they way I remembered it, often because of the awkwardly slow-paced dialogue with odd pauses between lines. The new ones are more quick-fire funny, the dialogue is generally wittier and the puzzles are at least somewhat logical and possible to solve without just going nuts.

34. MrMistofales says:

Re long titles: no-one remember Tom Clancy’s Ghost Reacon Advanced Warfighter 2: BAFTA Edition? Or TCGRAW2:BAFTAE. Is incredibly long when you British Academy of Film and Telivisual Arts.

35. MrMistofales says:

Actually, it was BAFTA Game of the Year Edition. So even longer (TCGRAW2: BAFTAGOTYE)

36. Pilouuuu says:

Yes, I guess Hit the Road is a favourite mostly because of nostalgia.

It’s a good game, no doub about that, but it is somewhat slow, with illogical puzzles and to be fair, dated. I think I could back now and play Monkey Island 2 and I would have as much fun as I did in years before, but Hit the Road isn’t the same nowadays.

Seasons 1 and 2 on the other side are completely actual so I hope that in a few years time we can enjoy them as little classics.

I love everything about it: the 3d graphics, the amazing music, great voices, funny if mostly easy puzzles and the humour. I sadly can’t say the same about Strong’s Bad. That’s why I want to know if I should go any further than Episode 1 or it has some sort of different humour that simply you cannot get into for some reason.

Sometimes I also find that some of the gags of Wallace & Gromit (the movie) aren’t completely to my taste, but I enjoy most of them, that’s why I’m really looking forward to the game, but with Strong Bad Ep.1 there’s no way I would get into the humour, and what’s even worse I couldn’t relate to the characters or the plot. Maybe it’s too surrealistic or teenage, I don’t know what it is and I would like that some explains it to me.

37. Willy359 says:

Check it out! A boot to the head reference! And one for Jenny and the wimp.

38. Brian says:

The first one was my first ever Wiiware purchase. Holy moly, I think it caused about 2/3 of my neurons to turn green and fizzle away in a puff of noxious smoke.

There’s no accounting for some tastes, but John Walker has none at all.

Sam + Max > Strongbad >= dumpster diving at Taco Bell

39. Nick says:

Hit the Road was mostly great, but the dipping max in the water to short out the boat ride was infuriatingly obtuse.

40. noneya says:

sam and max 1 and 2 both fucking suck

just realized something:

Anyone who likes sam and max dont lke strongbad
    good they dont want you douches there