Arkham Asylum Trailer

By Jim Rossignol on November 22nd, 2008 at 11:54 pm.

Eidos have released the first teaser trailer of their Batman game, and it’s looking appropriately moody. The game is being developed by British studio Rocksteady Studios, who previously developed moderately successful (critically anyway) console first-person shooter Urban Chaos: Riot Response. However, all we really know about this latest Batman game is Eidos’ blurb: “Upon entering Arkham Asylum, The Joker greets Batman over a loudspeaker and Batman has no choice but to enter into what can only be an ambush. Batman: Arkham Asylum features brutal combat, giant sized boss battles and deadly experiments all within the notorious island prison.” And also that it’s a pretty snazzy looking action adventure, natch…

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Adventurous Putty says:

OH MY GOD THE JOKER LAUGH IS MARK HAMILL’S!

EVERYONE DUCK FOR COVER; THE INTERNET IS ‘ASLPODING!

2. eyemessiah says:

Get to bed Jim!

3. Sam C. says:

There seems to be an extraneous 2 in that wikipedia link.

4. Thiefsie says:

Wasn’t Urban Chaos by Mucky Foot and completely 3rd Person?

5. Pags says:

Thiefsie: You’re thinking of the good Urban Chaos.

6. Charlie says:

I don’t get it. From looking at that asylum it looks like they were horrifically abusing their patients my sympathy is with the patients not Batman.

7. Pags says:

Oh God, they used the C&C scream sound in the trailer; talk about a mood-breaker. That mood being predominantly… brown.

8. Rath says:

Mark Hamill as Joker and Kevin Conroy as Batman? This is chock full of goodness already.

9. A-Scale says:

That was an awful trailer. I know these guys probably don’t have much to work with yet, but that means they shouldn’t put out a trailer yet. 30 seconds of panning shots of gruesome hospital beds doesn’t get me interested in your game, it makes me think you’re making a Veteran’s Administration simulator. Also, I’m pretty sure that was the same scream used in RTCW a half dozen years ago. Can’t we get some new screams in the sound effects industry?

10. Grey_Ghost says:

Geez that screaming man sound has been used more than [insert funny pop culture reference here]!I think every 5 to 10 years they should refresh those sound packs.

11. Pags says:

A-Scale: I’d totally buy Veteran’s Administration Simulator.

12. MeestaNob! says:

Holy fuck berries Batman, it is Mark Hamill, check out IMDB.

This cant possibly fail now.

13. Kieron Gillen says:

Actually, I know a load more about this having seen it in action a couple of times. I probably should write something about it.

KG

14. MeestaNob! says:

Do we dare dream that this is will be good, or do you have first hand info to the contrary?

15. Gladman says:

Yeah write about that stuff Kieron! Or at least like….a 5 word summary of gameplay.

It LOOKS nice anyway, nice and dark, light enough to play.

16. Saflo says:

The joker has my hairline!

17. Novack says:

“Disturbing” trailer.

Have you noticed that the music is similar but slightly different than the movie’s? I hate those comercial psico-tricks.

18. koizure says:

The hospital section in Bioshock comes to mind watching the trailer. Come to think of it Joker does look a lot like a splicer.

19. Jochen Scheisse says:

Wow, Arkham Asylum is a dump.

20. Tei says:

Is the real asylum on Gothan that dirty and perturbated? It looks like the maniacs are the administrators. And It feel like soon will be.

I have not read the comic,but seems that “arkham asylum” is one of the 3 best comics ever made, with Watchmen and V for Vendetta. It has to have something good.. and now we have a videogame… humm…. Or I am wrong?

21. Kitt Basch says:

Kevin Conroy, Mark Hamill, Paul frickin’ Dini, an approximation of Hans Zimmer/James Newton Howard’s flapping wings theme mixed with the good old Danny Elfman theme, it’s ticking the right boxes.

But I still want to drive through things in the Bat-tank.

22. Mogs says:

So far so promising.

23. Goddam Batman says:

Uh.. technically Black Gate Prison, for the non-crazy Batman villains, is on an island, Arkham is on a hill out in the woods outside Gotham City limits or something. I’m just saying, this game is the one that’s supposed to be based on the comics.

24. Dolphan says:

There’s a preview in Edge that makes it sound quite good. Like most previews, but hey.

25. eyemessiah says:

Haha, that stock scream is used in Space Ghost c2c a bit too :)

Gamers are particularly sensitive to stock sound fx. During adverts and films and stuff I often point out sound FX to my bemused friends, “Oh that’s the chronosphere, oh that’s the door noise from Thief, Oh that’s a hyrdalisk etc etc.” Your right it is a real mood breaker!

26. azwipe says:

@ Tei:
    Arkham Asylum had some of the best art of any comic ever, and was incredibly dark and moody, but the plot was a bit thin as i recall. certainly no Watchmen or V4V

27. Cyberpope says:

@ eyemessiah
    I was watching Narnia in the cinema with some mates. It got to the bit where the monsters were giving aslan a haircut and generally being noisy and gribbly. I heard something familiar loudly proclaimed “Oh I just heard the tiger growl noise from black and white!”

28. asubstanced says:

I like the style at least, I’ll remain hopeful, what I have heard about it, it’s not going to just be an action fest, so they are at least trying something new.

29. Kieron Gillen says:

Re: Arkham Asylum the comic. No connection with the game bar its locale.

KG

30. Dracko says:

You know, for an institute dedicated to helping the insane, there’s an awful lot of sharp edges and lack of protective padding.

You’d think Gotham would consider “freak” crime enough of an issue to fund Arkham enough for decent equipment.

Tei, you should read more comics. :(

31. Calabi says:

I think the design of the Asylum is like a throwback to the Victorian asylums. Where the Administrators are just as bad as the crazys, and use the pretense of locking them up as an excuse to do all manner of horrible things to them.

Appears to be full of cliches by its descriptions, so we’ll have to wait and see if the application of them is any good.

32. Fedora Freak says:

Has anyone else noticed that the engine is remarkably similar to Bethesda’s current engine build? I think I see the exact same medical cot as in Fallout 3.

33. amoe says:

looks like on of those trailers where the whole developemnt team works 3 days in a row without food or sleep (maybe just alot of red bull and coffeered bull) only to please some marketing dickhead who works for the publisher… in the end it turns out that all the assets that were created for the trailer are useless for the game and the whole thing was a big waste of time. maybe i m just projecting.

34. Rath says:

If there’s no connection to the “A Serious House On Serious Ground” comic, I feel they’ll have missed an opportunity to let players gradually pick up pages of Amadeus Arkhams’ journal.

35. Christian Otholm says:

Not that excited. I haven’t really seen anything that indicated this was a game and not an expensive graphics test.

I wish this had something to do with the Morrison comic. At least then I could hear Mark Hamill say the phrase: “Loosen up, tight ass!” as the Joker grabs Batman’s clenched arse.

And that hospital looks uncharacteristically empty. And pretty fucking dirty. I thought Gotham had a relatively high dose of crazy going for it. And a good amount of taxes going to “keep the crazies clean, subdued and the hell out of the city”.

RE: The plot for A Serious House on Serious Earth being thin: Somebody wasn’t up-to-date on their Jung and Tarot card readings, when they read it. (Not that it helped, given how illegible some of McKean’s drawings were.)

36. Adventurous Putty says:

See people? Never doubt someone who obsessively watched the old Batman cartoon in the 90s as a kid — I could recognize that Hamill laugh anywhere.

Now all we need is Conroy as Batman and we’ve got an epic win.

37. Nick R says:

The preview in Edge says that there’s a scarab beetle motif in some of the architecture in reference to the comic.

Comment on this story