Starry Fight

By Jim Rossignol on November 26th, 2008 at 8:33 am.

Infamous art rage-quitter Van Gogh sure knew his way around a paintbrush, and he ended up creating some of the most valuable pigment-based luxuries in the world. One of his most celebrated masterpieces, Starry Night, has now been turned into a Counter-Strike map. Imagine how proud he’d feel. Yeah, you can get the map here, and watch a video tour ‘neath the cut. (Via Offworld.)

As an aside, I’ve always felt there haven’t been enough RTS games based on the works of Hieronymus Bosch. Sacrifice seems like a lonely compromise. What long-dead artistic visionary would you base a game on, readers?

1. Ragnar says:

A Magritte adventure game of course!

“Examine Pipe”
    “This is not a Pipe”

2. Mike says:

Pacmondrian.

3. P7uen says:

Wagner’s Tuba Hero

4. itsallcrap says:

I love it when you call us “readers”. Reminds me of the Beano.

5. Gap Gen says:

Beethoven Symphoniser, in which you must complete difficult rhythm sections with no audio feedback except a tuning fork and a tinnitus.

6. mister slim says:

Duchamp’s Extreme Pro Water Slider.

7. radomaj says:

@Ragnar:
    Like this one?

Didn’t play it though, just read a review.

8. Xercies says:

Damian Hurst..

9. radomaj says:

Forgot to add:
    Google Tranlated Version. Also, it’s free, so you can download it if you like. Don’t know if there’s an English version though.

10. Leeks! says:

Man, Ragnar, that made me spit my tea all over my keyboard.

11. Alex says:

MC Escher would be quite cthulhuesque…

Or I imagine “DaVinci – Clash of the War Machines”

12. Mike says:

Something from the dadaists would be cool but a MC Escher map would be so confusing!

* a genuine lol at ragnar’s comment!

13. dartt says:

Jamie McKelvie, some kind of lifestyle sim…

14. some guy says:

@Alex

Wasn’t that one of Rise of Legends’ features, that one side was composed of Da Vinci based machines?

15. Ginger Yellow says:

It’s got to be Escher, but that Level Head prototype game has already done it.

And there’s that JRPG based around the dying Chopin’s dreams, isn’t there?

16. Aftershock says:

I know it’s been said, but still.
    Escher.

Remeber that black-paint-white-walls-paint-to-see tech video we saw on this here site a while ago?
    Escher levels, that gameplay.

17. matte_k says:

Escher does Portal:

Also, he’s not dead, but something based on Jaimie Hewlett’s stuff could be pretty interesting…

18. Bobsy says:

Hm. Why counterstrike of all things? It’s a spanglirific idea, natch, but seems to me much better suited for TF2 or Left 4 Dead.

Down Rodeo says:

Bobsy: Exactly. It still confuses me as to why people still play CS. Well I know there are the reasons like “they enjoy it” and the low system requirements are fair enough, but still… I’d like to see this in TF2 actually.

20. Ben Abraham says:

What about….. Samuel Taylor Colleridge? Khubla Khan’s stately pleasure dome! Simply the finest products of opium induced poetry, rendered beautifully in the CS 1.6 engine.

21. Anthony Damiani says:

“Why counterstrike of all things? It’s a spanglirific idea, natch, but seems to me much better suited for TF2 or Left 4 Dead.”

Because nothing says “Van Gogh” like a slavering zombie horde?

22. Denton says:

Of all the WW2 games we’re inundated with, not one has focused on Hitler as an artist. Potentially controversial, but might open up some interesting gameplay ideas – I’m thinking, but can’t quite fully form, some sort of RTS where you have to paint something on screen before every battle.

I’m stumbling at exactly how it affects the battle, though. I think it’d be most fun if the painting affected the Axis side somehow, but you still played as the Allies (though with there being an incentive for painting well).

23. Gap Gen says:

“I’m thinking, but can’t quite fully form, some sort of RTS where you have to paint something on screen before every battle.”

A sort of cross between Okami and Company of Heroes?

24. foop says:

Breughel? (Peter/Jan/Elder/Younger, I don’t care)

It always struck me that the towns of fantasy MMOs should be a bit more Breughelesque. More odd, interesting background stuff needs to be going on.

25. Malagate says:

Hmm, Breughel would be neat, we do need more peasants who are doing peasantly things.
    Dali could be neat, riding around on a sexual elephant with 200′ tall legs whilst throwing melting watches at terrible ants and locusts. Or having that go on in the background of some other game, that could work.

26. KindredPhantom says:

How sophisticated.
    Too bad you average CS player won’t appreciate it or even know who Van Gogh is.

27. MacBeth says:

lol fagz dust plz

28. Ergates says:

A TF2 Goldrush (Payload?) map based on Constable’s The Hay Wain (with the Hay Wain being the payload, natch).

A Deer Hunter level based on Swan Lake.

29. Man Raised By Puffins says:

Or I imagine “DaVinci – Clash of the War Machines”

Gunship 1493?

30. jankenbattle says:

joseph beuys?

LOOK

“You look around the room and see piles of scat in the corner.”

GET SCAT

31. Carey says:

Needs more Don Mclean.

(and Goya. Or Giger. Oh wait that’s already AVP/SShock/I have no mouth, etc isn’t it?)

32. Duncan says:

Edward Hopper. His use of light rivals any modern 3D engine.

33. nakke says:

Um, how exactly would it fit more to TF2 or L4D? It wouldn’t look good if it was cartoony, and I don’t think zombies would really fit in it. You probably meant to say “why couldn’t he make it for a game which I play currently”, right? :P

34. tikey says:

A Kandinsky inspired Physics game.

35. Cooper42 says:

Something from the situationist movement.

Just as you fire up FarCry2, a crowd of people bundle into your room, throw a bag over your head and put you on a ship to West Africa. They dump you in the middle of the Sahara, and proceed to follow you, making ‘ratatatatat’ gun noises and throwing themselves around going ‘boom’ to mimic grenades, whilst others slowly stalk you, and when they find you yell ‘Boo!’ and proceed to mock skin you alive…

36. Denton says:

“Edward Hopper. His use of light rivals any modern 3D engine.”

Oh boy, that’s a fantastic choice. Even if the visuals have no bearing on the gameplay, I’d love anything that used that as source material.

37. JD says:

i’m thinking a firey joan or arc

or doubting Thomas (St. Aquinas)

38. pepper says:

I can already see the arty people admiring the skies whilst there skull gets pierced with AK bullets, fun fun fun!

39. Simon says:

That has a quite neat effect. Might be worth to take it to a next level. Kinda reminded me of the Black Velvet painting based level in Psychonauts (in concept of course, totally diffirent style).

40. Tei says:

Well… the last good game was Quake.

Quake 1 is not a realistic game. Is full 3D, but is still a fake world with fake phisics and fake graphics. Is a alternate reality, where rocketjumping looks normal and is fun.

After Quake 1, all the games (starting with Hal-Life) moved to realism, and lost the ability to show a alternate world. Even this map looks “out-of-character”, like a TV set. Looks fake in a real world. I will not feel different playing this map.

Maybe, to have arty games again, we have to kill the tipical render engine, and start again with something more like that “LOVE” game RPS talked about.

“Stock” engines are nice, but soo predictible…

41. DeliriumWartner says:

I was thinking the exact same thing. The thing is, this actually got to me, just like the Black Velvet level did. It’s… beautiful. Can you imagine a painter like Van Gogh tranferring his vision into a game. Maybe not CS, obv, but games seldom feel like art to me and this really did.

42. Zach says:

I’d like to see a VtM:B-style RPG based on the works and style of William Blake.

43. M.P. says:

If it weren’t for the 2D trees this would be awesome!

44. cannon fodder says:

Prehaps one based on the work of Robert Mapplethorpe could be interesting

45. Christian Otholm says:

Left4Dead: The Norman Rockwell Edition.

Seriously: Mucha, Munch, Schiele and Klimt.

46. Adventurous Putty says:

Salvador Dali, anyone?

47. DeliriumWartner says:

Noone’s said Picasso yet, right? I’ll make that mine then. For the game, how about something MMO-y. CoH, maybe.

48. Ozzie says:

Hm, this Counterstrike map reminds me of a game called Mission Sunlight. You’re also exploring paintings of Van Gogh in 3D there and there’s some silly excuse for gameplay in it.

49. Jetsetlemming says:

Salvatore Dali Harvest Moon.

Also this map’s 2d elements (the trees and bushes) look awful even by Goldsrc standards.