What A Lot Of Rockets: TF2 Extreme!!!!!!!111one

By Alec Meer on November 26th, 2008 at 12:12 pm.

Is Team Fortress 2 the lord God’s greatest gift to machinima? The video beneath the cut rather suggests it is. A tiny part of my brain curls up and dies when I try to guess at just how much time the chap behind this mass slaughter/domino effect experiment spent on it, but the explodey, spectacular results speak for themselves.

Oh, and anyone who says something like “well, technically this isn’t machinima…” is a whiny wee wretch.

Thanks to SuperNashwan and Alan for the tip.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Armyofnone says:

Epic.

2. Biscuitry says:

“well, technically this isn’t machinima…”

No, it’s better!

3. FatRat says:

That was absolutely brilliant

4. Man Raised By Puffins says:

Heh, love the towering phalanx of crab Spys.

Ignus Solus still remains the king of TF2 machinima, however.

5. Gap Gen says:

The rocket tennis is great.

6. Pie21 says:

EvilDaedalus is the man on a number of levels. I’d never have bothered with a Compression Blast tutorial video without the inspiration of his awesome strategy videos for the other classes.

Phew, that was a lot of plugs for a single comment. Love the taunt kill dominoes!

7. Muzman says:

I knew folks who used to do this in Quake 2 and they were bloody good at it as well. There was only four of them at a time though, but late nights on empty servers they used to give themselves server ops, switch on god mode and infinite ammo the run around doing sychnronised throwing/catching of streams of grenades, co-ordinated rocket acrobatics, taunt routines etc then blow themselves up in sequence holding grenades. Fun to watch, shame it predated video of this kind.
    Hard core multiplayers just secretly gotta dance.
    The music is…odd. I was all prepared to be annoyed by the tedius LA skarock tune that I was sure was coming but then it breaks out the drum&bass with surprising success. Is it like that or is it a remix of another song?

8. Matt Kemp says:

Muzman: Pendulum. Probably closest to rock & bass.

y favourite bit was the domino pyro hadouken. Some fantastic editing in this video too.

9. Ganoa says:

crab spy… CUBE!

this was extra perfect bc i just played tf2 yesterday evening for the first time in two months. i literally cannot wait until someone replaces the l4d characters with the tf2 ones. even the zombies! spy=hunter, heavy=tank, demo=boomer?, sniper=smoker, and all the generic infected can by pyros since both share the same w+mouse 1 tactic.

10. BooleanBob says:

What is this “Team Fortress 2″? I was pretty sure all Valve games, and indeed all PC games, were recently patched to be Left 4 Dead and that that was the reason it has become the only thing we were allowed to read or indeed think about.

11. Steve says:

Pendulum. In Silico. Propane Nightmares. Artist, Album, Song.

That was amazing. Really really amazing. I’m a happy man.

12. klo8 says:

POW POW POW POW POW POW HAHA!
    Epic vid

13. Crab walker says:

Holy shiiiiiiii…

Also: That line dance looks fun, and remarkably like dancing.

14. sockpuppetclock says:

It’s strange since I’ve been messing with these kinds of things a long time, and yet I didn’t realize that no one has really made a video of it.

15. CPY says:

Epic!

16. Nimic says:

Awe.

Some.

I might need to play TF2 again. TF2 is a bit like a celestial body for me, it’ll always end up back in the same spot (ie. playing it all the time), but it’ll also always go the full circle (or oval, if you’re going to be anal about it).

17. A-Scale says:

That WAS brilliant.

18. phuzz says:

The best bit for me is the jackie chan style outtakes at the end, especially the last comment:
    “Am I going to die?”

19. Nero says:

Holy shit what was amazing stuff. I laughed very much at the spy crab tower thing.

20. Andrew says:

Best. Video. Ever.

21. G says:

I hear the hook from Million Miles From Home from Dune in that music.. Great vid too

22. PleasingFungus says:

That was deeply beautiful.

Or shallowly.

Something like that.

23. SenatorPalpatine says:

Too awesome.

24. Gneekman says:

Technically it IS machinima. Just because they’re operating outside normal gameplay parameters doesn’t negate the fact that they’re using a pre-existing game engine to produce animation.

25. Wurzel says:

Anyone else think the pyro multi-rocket insta-death pong game looked awesome? Would love to see that as a modded gametype (possibly with a slowed rocket).

26. Jake Mix says:

This confirms my suspicions that Valve needs to end the “Meet the …” series with a massive Busby Berkeley musical number.

27. Tei says:

Humm…
    It seems TF2 rocket trails are made of individual “Puffs”.
    It also seems the way puffs are colored/rendered, far right puffs looks blueish.

What I don’t like is the explosiones. Is what a guy may want in a multiplayer game, it feel like have “Punch”, but the smoke remove too fast for a singleplayer game. Tons of rockets, and after a few seconds, theres nothing.

And.. what about “FEAR”-style scorchs (that look 3d)? It seems Source don’t have that scorchs for some reason.

And the last, and maybe more important question:

Why Garrys Mod don’t have a better “Fireworks” plugin, so this thing looks lame in comparation? Hell.. you can make a full game just based on fireworks stuff *hint* *hint*

Another question is.. how is that made? I see lots of…humm.. bots? clones? is that a special mod? is that a special plugin for Garrys Mod? How has been made this video? I want to know.

Also, this video lags on me. And don’t have a pause button that would have fixed the problem. Damn flash players..

28. Skittles the Flogging Pirate says:

@ Pie21:
    EvilDaedalus is one of the reasons I still go to youtube, beyond randomly getting link there from one of my friends.

29. Nick says:

So Tei, I’m guessing you haven’t played TF2 from that.. the blueish rockets are critical rockets (aka crokets by annoying people ¬_¬), the explosions and whatnot are all part of the cartoony visual style of the game.

30. sockpuppetclock says:

Tei, this isn’t made in Garry’s Mod (I hate it when people say that!), it’s made it TF2… you can add a bot (with no AI, you have to control it manually) with the bot command.

31. h4plo says:

Holy shit! So that’s what the concussion blast thing on the main pyro gun does now.
    /reinstall again

32. Tei says:

Uh, oh.. ok nice.

33. M.P. says:

ROCKETPONG!!!! :o

34. Derek K. says:

I can say only “DUDE.”

35. Stephen says:

That was totally awesome – there’s an awful lot of work involved in making all the parts of that.

I particularly liked the long line of fully charged medics facing the train – that was a mindtrip.

36. tackle says:

The heavies “pow”; does that really kill over such long distance? Even when they’re on the bridge facing each other is closer than I thought it was.

I thought it was like the pyros fireball. Is it something this guy changed just for this video, perhaps?

37. roBurky says:

No, heavy’s POW does have some range on it.

Also the Pyro’s fireball can kill multiple people if they’re all hit by it.

38. x25killa says:

Why didn’t the heavy say “POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! YES! AUURRRRGGGGH!” during the heavy domino taunt clip? What a shame.

Still, it’s awesome.

39. Aftershock says:

The heavy’s taunt has some serious range on it, and is very effective against other heavies firing Natashca, since they often don’t stop firing at you, or bother to move, and the reduced damage means you don’t die.

It’s pants-shittingly funny when you pull it off.

40. Chemix says:

So beautiful, so mother fuckingly beee-uuu-tifff-fulll

41. Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

Flying Pyro Ping Pong. This would have been even better had I been drunk while watching it.

42. Island says:

Awesome! Although it’s odd that something so heavily botted has quite a few glitches and cameraman-in-shot problems.

If anyone disagrees that Pyro is the best class I can show them this.

43. James T says:

It’s very Busby Berkeley, isn’t it.

44. muscrat says:

@Gravatar Muzman
    Pendulum2
    Propane Nightmares from their In Silico album!

45. PENNYWISE says:

anyone know the name of the song?

46. Saflo says:

Look at the post above yours.

47. DSFARGEG says: