2008 IGF Entrants

By Jim Rossignol on December 1st, 2008 at 9:03 am.

The Independent Games Festival 2009, set to take place in San Francisco next march, has announced the entrants to its awards. All 226 of them. And that doesn’t include the 140+ student titles also to be included in the student showcase. That’s a huge increase on last year’s event, and a colourful barometer of indie-gaming health.

Looking through the list we see stacks of games that have appeared on RPS this year, as well as plenty more that we’ll cover in the coming months. (Oh, and Gillen and myself appear to be judges for the competition too, a task that we will take all too seriously, I suspect.)

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Tei says:

I have played a few of then.
    Harvest!… I love it, is another turret defense game, but with a twist. Has this Bridge Building feel where you can build crazy base designs. Really crazy game.
    Theres games like Dysin, that is a galcon clone, and there are Galcon somewhere. There are a lot of games!.
    Some are unreleased or de-released. I suspect some people de-release his games once enter the IGF to make a better version, or something. GRRRr.. I want to play MAD!.

2. Ian says:

I don’t search about for games, so for me I’ll have played the ones that RPS linked to.

If I’ve missed any masterpieces they haven’t linked it’s all their fault, not mine. :)

3. Matt says:

I’m dissapointed to not see Fez on the list this year, I was really looking foward to that title, does anyone know what might’ve become of this game?

4. Dan Lawrence says:

I can’t wait to hear your testing report on ‘Dark Room Sex Game’.

5. Tom Camfield says:

Can we expect a 2008 Advent calender this month? Pretty please?

6. Ging says:

Matt: I’m not sure you can enter the year after you’ve won an IGF award with the same game. I suspect it’s still being worked on, as everything I’ve seen of it has been basically showing off how the game plays in it’s most basic form.

7. Pod says:

“That’s a huge increase on last year’s event, and a colourful barometer of indie-gaming health.”

I suggest it’s an barometer of how much more chaff needs to be seperated from the wheat.

8. Muzman says:

Always seems a little weird when biggish games show up. Zenoclash for instance seems a little not-indie, even though it qualifies.

9. roBurky says:

Half of the links to the websites of the individual games don’t work. Very frustrating, because it is usually the really interesting ones.

10. Dorsch says:

Can someone explain jason rohrer’s between to me? I grasp he game mechanics but why is it multiplayer? Is there an ending?

11. Pags says:

I’ll be interested to see what Machinarium wins, if anything. I was really fond of Samorost 1 & 2 and the art looks even more incredible than usual.

12. roBurky says:

I tried to play Between, but it couldn’t find another stranger to play with.

Metempsychosis is interesting. It’s like an FPS version of that cursorx10 flash game. It’s only got one very elaborate puzzle, though.

13. Kua says:

Machinarium looks glorious – I’m glad I happened upon it.

Comment on this story