Pictures For Truth: Click-Click-Click-Click-Boom!

By Kieron Gillen on December 2nd, 2008 at 11:32 am.

Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince is the best of the title-line references.
Continuing my prodding at the IGF entries, I found this. It’s called Pictures For Truth and it’s a French/Canadian made Amnesty International game about exposing human rights abuses leading up to the Beijing Olympics. It’s a short little thing, but strikes me as a cross between Global Conflicts and Jet Set Radio. It’s more of a model for a game than a full game, but some more thoughts beneath the cut…

Well, this sort of thing is an interesting one. While based on real information, it’s a game which is based on fictional examples. I’m actually not sure whether it makes it better or worse, and anyone involved in the heated argument last time we linked to something a tad journalisty should probably tell us.

The game’s basically got two mechanics. First, you talk to people to get information on a story. Secondly, you take photos to illustrate the story. The effectiveness of the story is based around how good the photos are – every time you take a shot, it works out how good an illustration it is. Dialogue wise it’s a lot simpler than Global Conflicts, but the camera stuff has the basics of something that could be quite interesting. You can purchase improvements to your camera, allowing you to get telescoping lenses and secret ones (so you can get juicy inside-prision shots) and so on.

In other words, this doesn’t actually make me think about the potentials of serious games that much. It makes me think about the potential of a straight journalist game. Well, relatively straight – it’ll be to journalism what GTA is to an average criminal’s career, but it’s the sort of thing I’d love to see explored.

This isn’t it, but it’s cute enough. Also, i do like writing the phrase “Global Conflicts meets Jet Set Radio”. You can download it from here.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Ben Hazell says:

Photo journalism would make an excellent game – and an awesome mod for Far Cry 2 or Mirror’s Edge.

Sadly I think we need to see a proof of concept mod before anyone will dare make a game of it. (I’m aware Beyond Good and Evil exists – I just don’t know much about it.)

2. Ginger Yellow says:

You’re technically a photo-journalist in Dead Rising too.

3. phil says:

A straight tabloid journalism game would be excellent, though instead of GTA how about using Cryo’s KGB as a model? As KGB featured you talking to people who feared you only slightly more than they hated you, had you rummaging through litter bins all day and occasionally had you exploit the notable death of another for your own interests…. well you can see where I’m going with this.

4. mep says:

In other worse?

5. The Sombrero Kid says:

like hitman but journalism, it could have a max payne noir plot!

6. Larington says:

Theres a limited photo-criminal element in Anachronox, shame they didn’t do more with it actually.

7. Tei says:

Mking screenshots are a art, so I suppose making photos as to be a art, too.

8. Tei says:

** obscure reference to Beyond Good and Evil **

9. Novotny says:

Was that an obscure Fresh Prince and his Jazzy Jiff reference?

10. zahubu says:

Good on ya for picking up on this, although quick note: this isn’t a french/canadian amnesty international co-production, the game was produced by the francophone section of amnesty international canada (niggly i know but we canadians hate being mistaken for french or americans :D )

11. SlappyBag says:

Hmm, I think its a great idea as a solid game/mod. /me starts designing.

12. Mo says:

I had *way* too much fun with the wildlife photography in BG&E. I’d love to see more people explore this mechanism.

13. Tei says:

On the 226 games, theres one where you fight making screenshots. But that one is not ready for public download… (or maybe is me)

14. malkav11 says:

There *is* a game called Paparazzi. I dunno much more than that about it, though.

15. Saflo says:

I remember a digital camera being part of your inventory in Metal Gear Solid. Why was it there? I have no idea.