Postin’ Trailers Makes Me Feel Good

By Alec Meer on December 3rd, 2008 at 6:40 pm.

Stay Puft, man

It is fine to hear those characters again

Ghostbusters, as you may have heard, is back from the dead. It was an early casualty of the Actard merger, but has lately been rescued by Infogrames-in-disguise. Here’s the new publisher’s opening salvo – a partly pre-rendered trailer mostly showing off the original cast strutting their voice-stuff. It is fine to hear those characters again, though Bill Murray does sound like he’s more in Garfield mode than Venkman mode. Moving pictures, talking voices and plasticy faces beneath the cut.

Ghostbusters: The Videogame Trailer 3
Ah, that music, those voices – they’ll forever tickle the happy-glands of any child of the 80s, eh? Of the game itself, we don’t get too many hints. I’m presuming it’s still in keeping with the early footage, which I have to say looked a tad troubling. That may be simply because I’m too unimaginative to think of a way in which a movie about four nerds being wry and inept would make a great action game.

Oh – and reportedly we’re due for a third Ghostbusters movie, too. Apparently it’ll concern Egon and co training up a new generation of ‘busters. OH GOD. Also, did you know Rick Moranis has retired? He even refused to lend his voice to this game, blessim.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Pags says:

Rick Moranis no longer making movies?! God no! Honey, I stopped the franchise.

Not sure what my feelings are about this being saved; I’d much rather Brutal Legend sees the light of day.

2. Gladman says:

This looks AMAZINNNNNNNNNNGGGGG.

Please don’t rush it Blizzivision

3. Heliocentric says:

Blizzivision pooped it out. Atari are chewing it over now.

4. Zeus says:

From what I heard, Rick Moranis’ wife died of cancer and he decided to retire and take care of his kids in Canada. He did release an award-winning country music album a few years ago, though.

I’m so happy this game is coming out. I don’t care if everyone inevitably bitches that it’s not some open-world-WWII-drive-30-vehicles-go-on-gang-missions-blast-aliens-in-future-marine-armor FPS game, I for one love the idea of just trucking around with my gang of merry Ghostbusters. The only way they could improve it (judging from the early footage) is to add some classic Ghostbuster video game business simulation/driving aspects. (The old Sega Master System Ghostbusters game *did* have a lot in common with GTA, come to think of it… O_o)

As for Brutal, I really want to see that game released as well. But you’ve got to admit, a game based on one of the most successful franchises of all time, stamped with the most recognizable logo in the world, is bound to sell more than a Tim Schafer game.

5. Pags says:

Way to make me feel like an asshole, Zeus. :(

But yeah, you’re right that Ghostbusters would’ve been a safer bet for someone to revive, but Brutal Legend does at least boast Jack Black in it’s cast list; that’s gotta be worth some publisher attention, surely?

Also, on the trailer, though not actually to do with anything shown (because if they’re not gonna show us anything from the game besides pre-rendered stuff, what exactly am I supposed to comment on?): the announcer’s voice makes me sad that Don LaFontaine is dead.

6. Kelduum Revaan says:

Well, if its as good as the Spectrum version, ill be happy.

The voices seem a little more realistic this time, too…

7. Rob Zacny says:

Hmm, Murray’s voice does seem wrong for Venkman, but maybe it’s just those clips. More problematic is that the character models seem to look fantastic half the time, and like hellish marionettes the other half.

8. Psychopomp says:

@Pags

I think you forgot you live on Earth, not Make-Sense-Land.

9. Calabi says:

He doesnt sound nearly as sarcastic and tired of everything than he usually does(maybe he’s mellowed in his old age).

I just hope they get the ghost catching action right.

10. Gorgeras says:

Do NOT call it ‘The Video Game’ for fark sakes!

How many franchise-based games with the suffix ‘the game’ or ‘the video game’ or ‘game of the book/movie/series’ do you know that have ever been good?

Spider-man: the game, sucked. But Spider-Man 2 without the suffix, was good fun apart from some tacky missions and annoying challenges.

But other than that, ‘the game’ or any variation of it jinxes the whole thing. CHANGE THE FRIKKEN NAME.

11. The Poisoned Sponge says:

@Pags

Do you not look at DoubleFine Action News?

We’re on HAUNTED SANDALWOOD People!

12. Pags says:

I will only acknowledge that something is actually happening with that game when we reach subpoena blue.

13. Gladman says:

@Gorgeras

If the name of the game was in anyway related to the quality, changing the name from what has already been decided wont change the quality of the game, unless they start again of course.
    So what you’re saying is, that the game will be as bad as Spiderman: The Game.

14. cHeal says:

Where is the game in that? Like is it a third person action puzzler? shooter? RTS? Squad based shooter? point ‘n’ click? Management game?

Who knows.

Also Murray’s (I think it was him) line at the end sounds like he’s putting on a hooooorrendous Irish ascent, other than that the voicing seemed solid enough.

“I guess that means more overtime!”
    Oh you.

15. Nick says:

That trailer made my wife and I watch Ghostbusters. You know, in this case I will put up with a shit game if the filmy story elements are good.

16. Real Horrorshow says:

This looks really awesome.

17. Ginger Yellow says:

“More problematic is that the character models seem to look fantastic half the time, and like hellish marionettes the other half.”

Aykroyd/Ray looks eerily like Leisure Suit Larry.

I’m so looking forward to this. Even if it’s shit I’ll probably end up getting it (yeah, I’m all that’s wrong with the gaming industry). How can you not love Ghostbusters?

18. Bobsy says:

There was an absolutely darling Ghostbusters cartoon a few years back concerning, er, Egon training up a new generation of ‘Busters. Its concessions to political correctness were insane. The new team consisted of The Slightly Foreign One, the Black One, the Disabled One (action wheelchair!), the Girl One and the Old One (Egon). Can’t recall if any of them were gay. Maybe Slimer was gay. I dunno. Minority power!

19. Pags says:

I remember that cartoon. It was like the politically correct brigade learnt to animate. Only all the ghosts were horribly misrepresented as evil beings from another dimension. Someone ought to have complained.

20. hydra9 says:

I remember that cartoon, too. It was terrible. And I was about to say: The look of this game reminds me more of ‘The Real Ghostbusters’ than Ghostbusters.

Nice voice acting, though.

21. Grey_Ghost says:

Rick Moranis’s Ghostbuster character doesn’t play a prominent role in the game does he? I don’t think I could stand it.