Brutal Legend “Premiere” Next Week?

By John Walker on December 4th, 2008 at 1:44 pm.

I believe we may be asked to rawk.

Interesting news regarding Brütal Legend. Which is a splendid thing to be able to say. After Atari picked up Ghostbusters, it’s hard not to despair that Schafer’s new project is still without a publisher, following the Activision/Blizzard high speed collision. So how come Jack Black’s going to be showing a “premiere” of the game at next week’s Spike TV’s 2008 Video Game Awards? And for goodness sakes, will it be on PC?

The story, linked by Double Fine’s Action News, talks about how Black will be presenting an award, but also promoting the game he worked on with Schafer. He explained why he’ll be there to USA Today,

“[It’s] appropriate because I have a big video game coming out, Brütal Legend, that I did with Tim Schafer, the creator of Psychonauts, which is my favorite video game in the world.”

Schafer, plugging the event, adds,

“Omg you should definitely watch Spike TV’s 2008 Video Game Awards show on December 14 at 9 p.m. ET/PT because it will undoubtedly be the most amazing time of your life!”

So what don’t we know? Has a publisher picked up the game? Are they self-publishing? What the crikey is happening? But whatever the case, I think it can only be good news that Double Fine are actively promoting the game in a manner which suggests it’s not disappeared down the back of their sofa. We should definitely add, while the game’s website is enormously out of date (still boasts a Sierra logo), there’s still no official confirmation this is on PC. But it will be, won’t it Tim? It will be. It just seems impossible that he’d abandon his home machine. Meanwhile, here’s the original trailer.

Enormous thanks to The Poisoned Sponge for alerting us to this.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. The Poisoned Sponge says:

You’re most welcome!

Haunted Sandalwood people. HAUNTED SANDALWOOD!

2. cyrenic says:

Wow, didn’t realize this was coming out for PC.

3. John Walker says:

As I’ve just remembered to add, cyrenic, it’s still not confirmed. But we’ve decided that assuming it will be will make it happen.

4. hydra9 says:

Even if it doesn’t show any gameplay, that is an awesome trailer.

5. KillahMate says:

Just saying it will even make it happen? Have you been playing Kate Bush on Audiosurf again? Wish I had your optimism…

6. Sithinious says:

Ever since first hearing about this game, I’ve wanted it so bad. I really do hope it sees the light of day.

7. Duke Nasty VI says:

Oh yes, finally some news on Brütal Legend! Crossing my fingers for a PC release

8. Meat Circus says:

Maybe they’re going to self-publish across the electronic digitubes.

Given how publishers blew out Pyschonauts’s O-ring before it ever even had a chance, that might be for the best.

Stense says:

Please be on PC. Please be on PC. Please be on PC………

10. MeestaNob! says:

This would have to be an insta-buy if say, Steam had it, based purely on the trailer and who it’s creators are.

I don’t get the feeling this will come to PC though. There would seem to be equal pessimism on it’s very own website.

11. The Poisoned Sponge says:

@MeestaNob!

I get the impression those are comments left by fans who ‘Join the Crowd’.

12. Larington says:

Looks like it could be fun, heres hoping it’ll still see the light of, umm, retail?

13. hungSolo says:

I added Tim Schafer’s news feed to my reader around the time he released that Grim Fandango design doc. That guy with his throwaway blatherings makes me laugh more consistently than pretty much anyone else on the EARTH! ({{hugs}} RPS)

Here’s hoping this game finds a home. My home.

14. Man Raised By Puffins says:

@ The Poisoned Sponge: I refuse to get excited until the news threat-o-meter hits SUBPOENA BLUE.

15. Jason Moyer says:

I’m guardedly hopeful that losing Sierra as a publisher increases the chances of a PC version coming out.

16. Super Bladesman says:

The graphics look a little consoley to me in the trailer. I hope I’m wrong, but I’ve a bad feeling about this coming to PC…

17. The Hammer says:

Really looking forward to this, and yes, if it’s on PC I’ll be most pleased!

tikey says:

From Double Fine’s FAQ:

What? No PC version? I’ve always hated you, Double Fine! Now I know why.

Please, no hate. No one ever said there WASN’T going to be a PC version.

19. Aen Darasi says:

Please be on pee cee, pleeeeease?

20. Stupoider says:

PC release, please. I adore Psychonauts, Tim Schafer rocks.

21. Gap Gen says:

That said, if it doesn’t come out on PC, I’d almost be tempted to get a 360 as they’re quite cheap these days.

22. Optimaximal says:

In all fairness, Sierra was a better guarantee of a PC release than most. Most of their highest profile games had simultaneous PC releases and they didn’t nerf PC games in order to make an easy console-buck down the line.

23. Koopa says:

Thank god I have 360, in case something horrible happens and this won’t be on PC. Though I’d much rather have it on PC.

24. James G says:

and

@MeestaNob!

I get the impression those are comments left by fans who ‘Join the Crowd’.

Indeed they are, and I know this for a fact because I have left a comment myself; that very comment in fact. I’m hoping that this is just ‘small world’ syndrome, rather than me being the only person in the crowd calling for a PC release.

25. Valentin Galea says:

I really hope it will have a Meat Circus equivalent level! :D

26. Mo says:

The graphics look a little consoley to me in the trailer.

What does that even mean?

27. Pags says:

@Man Raised By Puffins: I concur. Still waiting on that subpoena blue!

I was actually playing Psychonauts not 5 minutes ago. I’ve been playing for about 3 hours and forcibly had to stop myself from continuing. Such a good game, seriously. Luckily, I have both a 360 and PS3 so should the worst happen and Brutal Legend gets released only for consoles, I’ll be safe. Though trying to play Psychonauts with a controller is pretty rough; actually, trying to play it with a keyboard is probably worse, but the game doesn’t like the triggers on my 360 controller so I make do with the keyboard. Hopefully mr. Schafer learns from his mistakes with Grim Fandango and Psychonauts and makes a game that isn’t impossible to control (a major annoyance in Psychonauts, especially Meat Circus…).

28. Rudolf says:

this would be the ultimate reason to buy a console, play it through and store both in a dry closet until you want to play it again.

A Brütal legend branded ps3 would look kind of cool, bundled with a guitar hero axe xD

29. mrrobsa says:

Seemed a bit of a contradiction for the trailer to have the rating, RP (Rating Pending).

30. MeestaNob! says:

@ James G
    That’s bizarre that my 3 random clicks ended up with you, there must be hundreds of messages on there.

Me = stalker.

NOTREALLYDONTARRESTMEFBI.

31. Man Raised By Puffins says:

INTERNATIONAL OCHRE!

In related Actard Axedivision news, it looks like Prototype isn’t dead either.