David Rosen’s World Of Goo Design Tour

By Jim Rossignol on December 8th, 2008 at 3:53 pm.

My eight-second attention span means that I often go to post stuff four or five times before I make it all the way through to the moment of actually typing it into the RPS interface, and this video by David Rosen of Wolfire is once such much-delayed info-trinket. Thanks to the half dozen people who forwarded the link!

Design Tour – World of Goo from David Rosen on Vimeo.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Smurfy says:

Interesting.

2. teo says:

For a second I thought it was going to be the devs talking about their own game :/

3. SKACE says:

WOW… Like commentary in HL2EP..xyz
    Great thanks… I want more :)

4. Chris Evans says:

I saw this when it was put up, really quite interesting the small things that he picks up on.

Perchance a post about Wolfire soon?

5. Pags says:

All I know is that I’m really, really looking forward to Overgrowth. Only reason I stopped playing Lugaru is because Mount&Blade came along and satisfied all the itches Lugaru failed to scratch, while still doing fast-paced reflexive combat just as well.

6. Chris Evans says:

I can’t complete the Tutorial :(

7. Junior says:

Cool video, I like seeing deeper into games, you’ll never catch these things as a gamer.
    Brb, replaying World of Goo.

8. Down Rodeo says:

That was very interesting. I’d love to see more posts like this. Hell I’d like to see more videos like this. That kind of analysis is all-too-often missing, particularly from small games like this. It reminds me why WoG was one of my best purchases this year and why I want to be playing it right now. Also I didn’t pick up on those things while playing; I just had this feeling that the game was very very good and that I enjoyed it very very much. Yes, it does reduce me to sentences like that abomination.

9. Tom Lawrence says:

Man, I wish he HAD gone into World of Goo’s symbolism, as I might have had my chance to unleash my thoughts on World of Goo as neo-Marxist propaganda.

10. Bhazor says:

Great concept, if only for the potential of back biting between developers, though it sounds like the guy needs to relax into it more. Then again maybe I’m just spoilt by Spoony, Yahtzee and Consolevania.

11. Dorsch says:

I find this video amazing and hope for more of the kind. This kind of analysis amazes me, and I wish that Videogame Journalists would provide it more often. But it’s really hard if you’re not a designer I guess, so I can see why they don’t.

12. Lucas says:

This seems like a longer variant of the physics game reviews on fun-motion.com

13. Decompiled says:

His view on Goo is very much towards the art direction. It would be interesting to also get a perspective on the technology, sound design and most importantly the ludology aspects of the game design.

14. Oasx says:

I thought the video was a big waste of time, it was just a bunch of random talk about very obvious things, they were either completely pointless or it was stuff everyone who played the game for a few minutes noticed

15. Jeff says:

@Oasx, you might want to invest in a microphone and screen recording software if you can make some “random talk” that is as insightful and well put together as this video. Look at the number of people who have watched and liked it on vimeo.

16. nabeel says:

Interesting. I’d rather it was the dev himself doing it but it’s cool to see other people’s analyses in video form.

nabeel

17. skizelo says:

Pretty sure I already knew all of that (apart from the break-down of the animation layers). If you played through WoG without noticing how they slowly introduced game mechanics, made each level internally consistent and otherwise pretty, or that the beauty levels of the game are insanely depressing, then you really need to pay more attention.