Love Gets Closer

By Jim Rossignol on December 10th, 2008 at 1:03 pm.

Just a random bit of newsflash from one of the games we’ve been following most closely this year: Eskil Steenberg’s latest blog entry closes with the line: “I don’t know if is possible to “manufacture” great control bugs, but its worth a try, maybe I already have. Next week when i get back home from LA, my first alpha will go out so I guess I will find out.”

Hopefully we’ll get to find out too. If you missed the trailer for this amazing looking indie MMO, check out the trailer.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Saul says:

Wonderful! I just sent a link to the Love site to a girl I want to impress with games =)

2. Meat Circus says:

I think I’ll forward my dry cleaning bill to you, if that’s okay Jim.

3. manintheshack says:

@Saul: Surely that’s not an effective relationship-starter?! Why don’t people write poetry anymore? Where’s the romance, eh?

4. phuzz says:

@manintheshack
    Leave off the boy! If he can impress a girl with games, well, don’t we all wish we could do that?
    Also, as Scroobius Pip has taught us: “Don’t use music, art or poetry to get into a girls pants, use it to get into their heads” :)

5. Heliocentric says:

To get into girls pants i suggest baileys. To get into girls heads i suggest a chisel.

6. Pags says:

Using Love as a chat-up line? Isn’t that the equivalent of saying “get your coat love, you’ve pulled”? Subtlety is required: Doom for instance – try telling me that the shotgun isn’t phallic, or the cacodemon isn’t strongly vaginal.

7. manintheshack says:

Hmmm, perhaps you’re right. I bet the giant testicular monster in Half-Life would make any girl’s belly fizz.

8. James T says:

I think the Icon of Sin’s much more gynecological than the Cacodaemon. Maybe it’s because Romero is a

DOONK
    [a fatal exception has occurred at 0028:D4029XD1 in VxD MSIMX(01)+00000721]

9. Radiant says:

These comments were not what I was expecting.
    *showers*

10. Eli Just says:

I saw this earlier. I hope it’s open.

11. manintheshack says:

What? I love it when the comments turn sexy…

12. Squiff says:

That’s what she said.

13. Meat Circus says:

Eskil Steenberg is not writing this game just so you can get ladies’ front bums wet, you know.

FOR SHAME.

14. Pags says:

He’s writing it so you can get their back bums wet.

YOU HEARD ME.

15. Dominic White says:

While I love the visual style of this game, and some of the overarching concepts sound great, the guy really seems to have a hardon for ‘pro’ gaming, ala bunnyhopping and wall-sliding and proto-skiing.

Such things might work great in the context of a tight deathmatch shooter played by very dedicated people with the reflexes of a hummingbird, but most people (and I’m talking about gamers in general – even action gaming types, not just the MMO crowd) really aren’t up to that kinda stuff. It looks weird and really only appeals to the most hardcore of perfectionists.

I really worry how things will turn out of he tries melding ultra-twitch ‘deliberately buggy’ FPS gameplay with a dynamic-world MMO.

16. Tei says:

I am looking forward for this game. The graphics magnetize me, and the gameplay seems will be open and experimental enough to use it half as a toy, half as a game, in a good way. Or maybe I am wrong, but anyway sounds cool.

17. Saul says:

Well, I’ve written poetry too– trying to cover all bases, see?

18. Hmm.Hmm says:

Much love to come from Eskil Steenberg.

*cough*

19. Tim says:

I wonder if he’s a ‘genius’ at scalable server and network architecture too.. cause there’s so many people following this, I suspect not everyone will be able to play it when it goes live. Must be a tough thing for any indie, let alone an mmo.

20. Larington says:

Well, being an independent, at least he’ll have an excuse for server downtime on day of release. Whereas there are plenty much bigger development teams that have summarily failed at such a task.

A stable mostly bug free MMO at release? What are the chances eh?… (That said LOTROs was pretty good and AoCs wasn’t bad, aside from failing to have a key element of the promised feature list in game from day of release of course).

21. Joseph says:

@Dominic White

Personally I agree with the way he talks about controls in his blog… and I enjoy bunny hopping & skiing although no idea what you mean by wall-sliding unless it’s like in Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater.

I’m not a pro gamer (although I’m not quite sure how you’d define that), I just like those things. I think they add fun, and like Eskil says, make it feel more like you’re in control, making it a more personal gaming experience.

22. Blizzard2 says:

@Tim

Look at his work on (uni-)verse , eskil seems to be really proficient in network architecture.

Comment on this story