Kudos 2 Artist Releases Comic

By Kieron Gillen on December 11th, 2008 at 2:29 pm.

I sicken myself
In a fascinating cross-cultural exercise, Cliffski from Positech hired comic-artist Jamie McKelvie to provide his characters for Kudos 2. Since people seemed to be charmed by his distinctive hot-punk-girl style, I thought you’d like to hear his new one PHONOGRAM: THE SINGLES CLUB is out now in all good comic shops. The reviews have been glowing, Warren Ellis has been raving about it and it’s about the concept of music as a literal magical force. I’ve put Jamie’s one-page comic-intro beneath the cut, to give a taste. That’s Phonogram: The Singles club, drawn by Jamie McKelvie and written by… oh, shit, is that the time? Gotta go.

I really do

More preview pages here.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Will Tomas says:

Shameless, Gillen. Absolutely shameless.

2. Ian says:

All of a sudden Jim looks positively modest and subtle. ;)

3. Fede says:

Shameless. But we like you nonetheless.

4. Bobsy says:

And by coincidence I picked this up today over lunch. IT HAD BETTER BE GOOD, GILLEN.

5. Ben Hazell says:

Okay – so what if you’re the sort of person who reads graphic novels, but mainly gets them from Amazon, and has no idea where to actually go buy a real comic book in London, but does want a dose of hot punk girls – what then?

6. Owen says:

Kelleron Girlen. Nope, don’t think I’ve heard of him.

7. RedRum says:

Picked it up at lunchtime, havent done any work since so must be pretty damn good!

Ben – ‘comic shop london’ typed in google brought many answers to your question, tho I’d hesitate before walking into a Forbidden Planet, horrible places that they are – is that just me?

8. Chris Evans says:

I shall have to search in Cardiff for a comic shop, I am sure I have seen one somewhere…

I must say that when reading Cliffski’s blog, and your blog Kieron about Kudos 2 and Phonogram respectively, Jamie’s name kept cropping up in both, but I thought nothing of it until this post :O

9. Seniath says:

Why even bother pretending this has something to do with games, you’re not fooling anyone :P

<Oblig shame you on you comment>

10. qrter says:

It is kind of weird that that phonogramcomic site doesn’t seem to include any links to an online shop-type situation. Or even links to any realtime shops that stock the thing.

11. Dracko says:

Warren Ellis has been raving about it?

Guess I can avoid it, then.

12. phuzz says:

Warren Ellis has been raving about it?

It probably has photographs of horrid things then :(

PS, anyone want recommend a decent comic shop in the Bristol area?

13. The_B says:

Quick! Someone make a throwaway Piracy/DRM comment! SOON GILLEN WILL BE BIGGER THAN SPORE.

(On a more serious note: Phonogram comes highly reccomended from me, not that I’m an authority figure on anything or anything)

14. nabeel says:

i c what u did there

nabeel

15. Tom Lawrence says:

@Ben Hazell: In London? Man, you’re screwed. No way will there be a comic shop in that tiny backwater burg…

Ahem.

Erm, more seriously, there are enough comics ships in London that the question “where do you live in London, exactly?” is pertinent.

To pick a London place more or less at random I’ve heard good things about Avalon Comics in Battersea, who also do online ordering.

There’s always Forbidden Planet, too, who have a megastore in London.

16. Gap Gen says:

phuzz: There was one at the bottom of Park Street, no idea if it’s good/still open, though…

17. John Walker says:

Kieron’s not telling you that Phonogram is riddled with DRM. First of all you have to log in to his blog each time you want to turn a page, and you can only read it three times before it seals closed.

18. Lu-Tze says:

Aww man, I used to live next to Travelling Man. Awesome place.

19. qrter says:

Oh, mr. Walker. You made me laugh. You are now my favourite!

20. Kieron Gillen says:

Central London:
    GOSH comics
    Forbidden Planet
    Orbital Comics

If you’re up in Camden, Mega City Comics is on the road opposite Camden station, just down from the Good Mixer pub. I admit, I’m not very familiar with other ones.

All should have it, or at least be able to get it you if it’s sold out. I know Forbidden Planet ordered more than they would have for most Indie books because some of the staff totally love it.

Bristol:

Forbidden Planet
    Area 51

No idea if they have ordered copies, but they’d be able to get them in if you ask. I’d be disappointed if they didn’t order any, because the comic’s set in Bristol.

Dracko: Sarcasm apart, Ellis has done more for actually pointing people towards fine comics than any other major creator I can think of. And that’s not even thinking about stuff he was involved in like Artbomb.

You can order the trade of the first series off Amazon, if you want to plumb our back history. Midtown in the US and Page45 in the UK do a good mail order service.

EDIT: And yeah, Travelling Man Bristol has closed down. Which is a shame, as it was a really good shop. Any other travelling men across the country come highly recommended.

KG

21. Meat Circus says:

Ooh, that reminds me. I must pick up a copy of Absolute Sandman vol 4. from Gosh.

22. Kieron Gillen says:

Meat: I’ve got a party on tonight for PG1. Details on my blog.

KG

23. Gap Gen says:

John: At least you don’t have to sign up to the Kieron Gillen Social Club. Right?

24. RedRum says:

Gillen – finished it – loved it. Think I may have lost my job over it – strangely enough my boss didnt believe me when i insisted that it was useful in my job as a programmer – go figure.

Page45 is my local, a lovely, lovely comics shop staffed by lovely, lovely people.

25. Meat Circus says:

Re: Gillenblog…

“Error establishing a database connection”

26. Kieron Gillen says:

Page45 was where Jamie used to get his comics and can’t speak highly enough of it.

(Thanks. And don’t worry – work isn’t important. Only dancing is important)

KG

27. Kieron Gillen says:

Prince Arthur near Euston from seven, basically.

KG

28. phuzz says:

Ha! I must have driven past Area 51 yesterday, it’s right next to a friends house, (and not that far from my dealer…).
    Once I’ve double checked my finances consider this a purchase.

29. SLDeviant says:

Girls Aloud isn’t a real band.

30. Ian says:

If you buy a copy is it linked to your brain so that you can’t sell it second hand?

31. Acosta says:

Fantastic, now say when us, non-english speaker peasants can expect to see the comic in our markets (Spain in my case), I don’t know how the localization of comics really works, or perhaps I have to wait for an Amazon release and forget about and Spanish version?

32. RedRum says:

33. RedRum says:

KG – You havent seen my dancing, I was once described as a cross between the tazmanian Devil and the Energiser Bunny. Although I was ‘feeling fruity’ in quite a hectic D&B night out at the time…

34. RedRum says:

Oops, apologies just made a silly boo-boo

35. Meat Circus says:

Girls Aloud are real enough for me.

36. Tom Lawrence says:

@SLDeviant: Girls Aloud are about the best thing to happen to mainstream UK pop since Britpop. Really it’s all down to Xenomania, but still.

37. Pags says:

I once dated a girl who looked like Penny B. Just thought I’d throw that out there.

If I had money I’d be in Euston celebrating the launch of a comic I’m still yet to own, but my coffers are bare. Maybe next time.

38. Meat Circus says:

I HEART BRIAN HIGGINS isn’t it.

39. SLDeviant says:

@Tom Lawrence: Damning with faint praise.

40. Cian says:

May have to wait for the trade on this one, getting hold of issues in Ireland is bad enough let alone Sweden. Anyway to get them delivered?

41. Ginger Yellow says:

Ben Hazell: I get most of my comics from Mega City in Camden and Orbital on Charing Cross Road.

42. ZenArcade says:

I remember chatting up a really hot comic book girl in a really tiny, low-fi comic book shop in the states once, it was awesome, shame I know fuck all about comics though.

43. Noc says:

Must . . . not . . . turn this into an argument about . . . comic book . . . piracy.

44. Pags says:

Yeah, I hate comic books about pirates too Noc.

45. Heliocentric says:

Comic funnies on paper? Surely not. I have internets.

46. solipsistnation says:

@ZenArcade: My local comic shop is staffed mostly by lovely young ladies. I haven’t tried chatting them up since I’m, you know, married, but still.

47. user@example.com says:

Ugh. Bristol.

Forbidden Planet’s not too bad, for a Forbidden Planet. It’s better than it was when it was in Broadmead, at least. I went into Area 51 once, after TravMan closed, and I’m still in therapy.

48. Andy Johnson says:

I noticed the other day that Kieron’s been interviewed by the site I write for… I don’t think it’s scheduled to go up yet but I’m looking forward to reading it!

49. Thiefsie says: