Brütal Legend Finally Gets Publisher

By John Walker on December 12th, 2008 at 2:36 pm.

The lightning strike of non-PC-releasiness.

Here’s some news that probably shouldn’t be here. But it’s such good news that we’ll extend our optimism that Schafer’s just playing hard to get for a moment longer. Brütal Legend has a publisher. A publisher that had bloody well better tell him to release the game on PC.

Tim Schafer has posted the press release on the Double Fine blog to announce the news that EA Partners would be making sure the game reaches us.

“Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) and Double Fine Productions, Inc. today announced that they have signed an exclusive publishing agreement that will bring the highly-anticipated rock-adventure Brütal Legend™ to gamers, headbangers, roadies and rockers worldwide next Fall.”

And that’s the last we’ll mention of the game until it gets confirmed for PC. Or their offices lie smouldering. (Thanks again to TPS).

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. The Poisoned Sponge says:

IRREVERENT PERRIWINKLE! IT’S HERE PEOPLE!

2. Matt Kemp says:

You missed the headline of EA’s press release:

DOUBLE FINE AND EA TURN IT UP TO “11″ NEXT FALL WITH THE RELEASE OF BRÜTAL LEGEND

3. Sithinious says:

Reading this makes my day considerably brighter.

4. Stense says:

Fingers crossed that EA nag Double Fine enough that they plop it on the PC too.

5. Heliocentric says:

Tim is good people. Let us pray, also let us pray the game isn’t junk.

6. Meat Circus says:

Gawd. EA?

May god have mercy on our DRM-addled souls.

7. James G says:

Does anyone know who to E-mail at EA to request a PC version? I’ve searched the site, but other than abusing the support option, or pretending to be press, I can’t find a suitable E-mail.

8. Andy says:

Did I read right that this is a game “Starring Jack Black”?

Just kill me now?

9. Man Raised By Puffins says:

Mmm… VIOLATED LEMON, just how I like them.

In further Double Fine news: Jack Black does puerile mo-cap promos for the Spike VGAs, Eurogamer perform curious non-interview with Tim Schafer and Man Raised By Puffins finally conquers the Meat “SHUT THE F*CK UP MORY” Circus and completes Psychonauts.

10. hungSolo says:

I really want to support Schafer and crew, but I don’t see myself running out to buy a 360 or PS3 just to play this. Oh well. I wish them success regardless.

11. Pags says:

IRREVERENT PERIWINKLE. IT HAS BEGUN.

12. The_B says:

I’m never entirely one for joining in with Meat Circus’ propaganda. But yeah. Getting EA on PC? Wouldn’t that mean SecuROM? Or d’you reckon the property isn’t going to be precious enough for them to want to put it on?

Hypothetically speaking, of course.

13. Pidesco says:

Awesome: Brutal Legend has a publisher.

Good: EA likes releasing games on PC.

Bad: Filthy DRM?

14. Gap Gen says:

To be honest, EA’s position as Empire of Evil has been taken over by Activision, who dumped this game in the first place. Hopefully this will get the marketing it deserves, and given the famous names involved should be more popular.

15. noexes says:

EA will be cool with PC if DF develops it for PC methinks. I just don’t think DF wants to:

“Brütal Legend will be available for the Xbox 360® video game system and PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system Fall 2009.”

Is there a PC there? Nope. Sadness :(.

Though it might come out later methinks. Psychonauts had a big long tail on the PC where on the consoles it kinda just burned out quick. They might port it to PC later.

I’m also sad that they are saying fall 2009, where it will likely be buried under sequels. Have they learned nothing from mirrors edge and dead space? Brutal needs room to breathe.

16. Ginger Yellow says:

“EA’s position as Empire of Evil has been taken over by Activision”

Indeed, it’s remarkable how quickly it happened as well. They were still the Sith when they first tried to buy Take 2, but by the end of the year they were the plucky, new IP promoting, PC supporting guys while Blactivision had become the sequel factory corporate console behemoth. That’s not to say EA are saints, obviously, but I feel remarkably better disposed to them now than I did this time last year.

17. Ozzie says:

@noexes: Don’t forget the Doublefine FAQ:

What? No PC version? I’ve always hated you, Double Fine! Now I know why.

Please, no hate. No one ever said there WASN’T going to be a PC version.

18. James T says:

They can DRM it all they want, I’ll just hold up ’til it gets circumvented.

Double Fine seem like a decent bunch, what gives people the impression they don’t want to do a PC version? Heck, it’s Tim Shafer at the top, surely he appreciates the virtues of PC gaming as much as anyone?

19. Larington says:

About the EA partners thing, the idea as I understand it is that a developer can pick and choose what services EA is offering (Why ID and Valve have recently started using this scheme – They can say no to offers of help for this, that and the other), so that vastly increases the chance that the developer will choose the level of DRM and not EA mid/upper management.

Heres hoping that they choose the relatively lenient disk check only version of sickurom. Though time will tell whether or not we get a PC version and what level of DRM it would be given should that happen, I suppose.

20. Mo says:

Excellent, excellent news! Made my morning. I’ve spent the last 5-10 mins with a huge grin on my face! :) I know it’s a shame that it isn’t coming out on PC (yet), but that Brutal Legend has a publisher at all is awesome news.

It’s also encouraging to hear that EA aren’t backing down from their new IP stance. Kudos to Riccitiello, I think he’s done a great job turning EA around, and benefiting the entire industry as a result. Let’s just hope these risky investments pay off for them: i.e.: buy the fucking game this time guys! ;)

@Larington:
    I think they lose the right to choose the level of DRM when EA are funding the game entirely. With id & Valve it’s different, EA only act as distributors, but in this case Brutal Legend is being funded by EA, who need to “protect” their investment with DRM.

21. Xercies says:

Hmm if this does have DRM I might let it off because its a Tim game, if I’m nice.

I also feel that it should be delayed till early 2010, since the fall season will probably be as full as this year it probably won’t get that many people on it. I see this going the way of the psyconaughts which is sad because it will be difficult to make his next brilliant game if he has two games that haven’t sold well.

22. Larington says:

@Mo Yes that is a factor, but Brutal Legend has been in development for some time already, I’m hoping that several milestone payments on (etc etc) that EA are only funding continued development and marketting rather than paying for the whole shebang hook line and sinker and that this might make them a bit more lenient.

I suppose I’m trying to be optimistic, in theme with the its got a publisher again now, lets hope it gets a PC release optimism of the main article.

23. Larington says:

More games should be released in the summer – You know, when the students don’t have anything to do with their time (And therefor might be more willing to pick up new releases straight away)!

24. Hidden_7 says:

Ain’t that a truth. This year from the months of January through to September I had all of GTAIV and Clear Sky to play. For October to November I had Far Cry 2, Fallout 3, Mirror’s Edge, Dead Space and Prince of Persia to play, and that FO3 was a big one. Also I know I’m forgetting some stuff I probably would have checked out had they been released at a different time, say, all of summer where I didn’t have exams or assignments AND was working so had disposable income AND had nothing to do. Publishers are stupid.

25. Jahkaivah says:

I second James T, whats with all this “Double Fine doesn’t want a PC version” vibe?

26. Gap Gen says:

Apparently there will also be some kind of reveal at the Spike TV game awards.

27. mar says:

EA games…?
    as long as they have no say in the production go ahead. and since EA likes to make money hopefully they will port it to every system, PC as well…

28. Man Raised By Puffins says:

Aww… they skipped SUBPOENA BLUE.

In RPS parlance, Tim’s appearance on the award show is quite the thing.

Comment on this story