The Noble Savage

By Alec Meer on December 12th, 2008 at 10:02 am.

In further stuff-for-free news (what is this, Christmas or something?), FPS-RTS-RPG Savage 2: A Tortured Soul can now be had for no-pennies. Online man vs beast carnage has never been better-priced.

Essentially the freeware version is the demo with no restrictions, but publisher/devloper S2 are hoping to turn a profit from Premium Accounts. Chuck ‘em some moolah and you’ll be able to access the likes of online stat-tracking, downloadable replays and extra inventory slots.

Grab the gig-ish client from here – there are also OSX and Linux versions if you’re some sort of twisted, maniacal deviant. Anyone here played/playing Savage 2? I’ll admit I’ve never had the pleasure, but I’m sorely tempted to go have a sniff at it now.

, , .

1. Dan (WR) says:

Downloading now. I really like the ideas behind Savage, but I have a hard time imagining people co-ordinating well enough to make it work.

2. ArtyArt says:

@Dan: right, that’s where the problem with this game lies (for me, at least). There’s quite the learning curve, and it’s rather frustrating with all the other players behaving like headless chicken instead of employing some squad tactics or whatever.

I bought Savage 2 when it was a weekend deal on Steam, but I haven’t played that much. I guess it actually is a very good game once you have -really- learned and understood how to play it, but until then it is a … difficult experience. I hope S2 have more luck with the new business model. Last time I played, the servers were quite empty. Savage 2 deserves better.

3. Tei says:

I kind of like more the “EMPIRES” mod for half-life.

Savage seems more about killing more than the other team. Where Empires have more area control, and building importance. But thats me. I also play engineer on TF2.

4. Ceremony says:

We played the first one at some LANs and it was one of the more enjoyable games we played. There were a lot of “remember when” stories that were created from that game.

5. Down Rodeo says:

There’s a Linux version? They were supposed to tell me about that! They lied.

But no, I can’t do that! I have an exam tomorrow!

6. Down Rodeo says:

Oh crap, wrong article. Sorry guys, I thought I was on the InstantAction one :(

7. Joras says:

Savage 2 is a real puzzle for me. I’ve been playing it off and on since it came out, and from one perspective it’s got everything that a game needs to succeed:

Great graphics (esp for an indy)
    Good, mostly balanced mechanics
    Full stat tracking & replays
    Some really, really epic battles that you will remember forever
    Real depth, and skill level makes a huge difference

However, there’s just something wrong with it. For some reason that I haven’t been able to pin down, the game loses players like crazy. They’ll do a huge promo, get a couple hundred players into the game, and then over the next couple of weeks that’ll dwindle back down to the same 100-150 players that’s been there from the start. This happened at release, then with their first heavily-promoted content patch, their steam release, and it may happen with this free thing as well. It’s just bizarre. Usually with games you can immediately tell why their not successes. It sucks, too boring, small market size, horrible advertising, etc. This one, nothing jumps out.

The best thing I’ve been able to come up with is that the way this game does stat tracking, every game you play is on the ladder. Each player is assigned a “Skill Factor” based on previous performance, and this number shows up next to every player in every game. Since the vast majority of players suck at this game (this game has a pretty high learning curve), most players get constantly told that they suck game after game. That, coupled with the fact that it’s not very obvious how to get better, means that new players play for a bit, have fun, realize they suck, get discouraged, and leave.

Also, since every game is on the ladder, you can’t goof off in this game. After a particularly epic game, you can’t just mess around in the next game because if you do, that’ll lower your rating. You have to try to play at your best every single game. Unfortunately, what that actually means is that after a couple games, I’ll tend to log off because I know I can’t play my top level anymore.

There is, btw, a feature to not record stats. At the beginning of every game, you can opt out. This is great, but at least for me, there’s a bit of a feeling that, if there’s a number next to my name called “Skill Factor”, I should try to max that as much as possible. True it doesn’t actually mean anything, but there’s that deep-seated impulse to pump that as high as I can.

Anyway, if anyone end up playing this, post some impressions. I’d love to hear the impressions that new players have of this game.

8. Redford says:

I personally had issues with the netcode combined with the melee system. People may think “Hey, attacking in melee must be totally immune to lag, right?!?!?!?!?!?!?!” but they would be wrong. Basically, in savage 2, there are three different melee moves. Attack beats disrupt, disrupt beats block, and block defeats attack. With a higher ping, determining what attack you need to use gets needlessly hard. Sometimes you’ll bounce off a block you couldn’t see, or disrupt a block only to have the game ignore it. And unlike you might expect, hitting a block hurts, just like you had gotten hit yourself, which means making even a few ping-related mistakes can be the doom of you. All of the high skill players seem to be immune to this (of course).

But there are still a bunch of awesome, epic games to be had if you give Savage 2 a try. Just do yourself a favor and play the tutorial level first.

9. Vadim P. says:

One doesn’t have to be twisted use linux (ubuntu specifically). 4 out of 5 dentists recommend it!