Empire “Multiplayer Campaign” After Launch

By Jim Rossignol on December 13th, 2008 at 11:53 am.

A post over on the Sega UK site reveals that the multiplayer for Empire: Total War will be released after the main game, free to purchasers of the main game. There will be a testing period and “an opportunity to participate in the 1 versus 1 multiplayer campaign mode beta will be made available to all Empire Total War buyers post release.”

A multiplayer campaign mode. Interesting. This might well be related to the one month delay of the game: it will now appear in March.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. SPLastic says:

Cool, I’m glad to see this. For me, the lack of a multiplayer campaign is something that really let the Total War series down, when compared to Civilization.

2. Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

A multiplayer Campaign mode? As in, skirmishes linked by a campaign system?

I wonder if this’ll work like a Warhammer campaign in structure. I mean the flowchart-scenario-thing. Because playing multiplayer campaigns with a strategic map like with the single-player Total War campaign system sounds like it’d take quite a while to get through.

But probably the most epic and involved game of Risk you’d ever play, though.

3. Skurmedel says:

Civilization 4 in multiplayer takes a while to get through too, believe me :)

I’m all for this, but most importantly I want multiplayer skirmishes with AI. I used to do that all the time with my buddy and we had great. When Medieval 2 came along they had stripped the AI from multiplayer which was very dissapointing for me.

4. Heliocentric says:

This model already exists in sword of the stars. Its not perfect. But the flow of the game has issues, for example if due to neutral units or more than a two sided war some players don’t have any battles to fight. Battles of more than 2 player games need to be time limited which causes problems in itself.

Can i check something, a retail copy of this game can have the key added to steam just the same as buying it on steam? Because the steam price is obscene.

5. DuBBle says:

6. Heliocentric says:

Dub is your brain turn based? That must make tasks like walking a real chore. How many steps in a turn?

7. rob says:

I really hope they’ve dropped Gamespy for this one. I loved the multiplayer in Medieval 2 but trying to get a game going over Gamespy regularly proved to be an insurmountable challenge.

8. Jahkaivah says:

If they do this right they will have a sale from me.

Heroes of Might and Magic V tried to figure out ways for making long-turn-based games work in online multiplayer didn’t they ? I never tried it so I don’t know how well they managed it.

But it would be nice if this new Multiplayer Campaign could have all the goodies of the original without the potentially hideous waits.

9. Fede says:

Finally! I’ve been strongly in favor of multiplayer campaigns since the release of Rome, this was a feature I missed a lot as the Rome and Medieval 2 AIs had the infamous diplomacy bug.

Take even another year to make it, but make it well! :D

10. Jeremy says:

Color me excited. Haven’t played the series since Rome, but I enjoyed that immensely.

11. DuBBle says:

Helio: It’s one turn to take a step, but two turns to make a turn. I’m glad my ailment doesn’t get much public attention because it, shamefully, results from hexual promiscuity.

12. thefanciestofpants says:

The phrase “Fuck Yes.” comes to mind.

Relevant to my interests.

13. theleif says:

@Heliocentric:
    Nope, you have to buy the game from Steam to have it there.

14. Nimic says:

I’ve been waiting for this since Shogun!

15. Heliocentric says:

They have dropped gamespy steam does the matchmaking.

16. Johnson says:

I’m fairly certain that you have to add your game to steam whether retail bought or bought through the steam store. This has caused a lot of controvesy about the place because you need to validate online in order to play single-player. However I’m glad they have taken the steam anti-piracy route as opposed to the other options, also the steam multiplayer/matchmaking system is the best I have used.

The main thing which bothered me about it is the special-ops edition of the game which costs about ten quid more and gives you extra units. I hope this doesnt have any real bearing on gameplay beyond “ooh look I have the hms Victory” and I also hope this doesn’t herald any further money for extra units shenanigans.

17. StalinsGhost says:

“DuBBle says:

I’m quite happy the multiplayer mode will come later – ’twill give me a chance to become intimate with the game before I have people who naturally think in Real Time challenging me to battle.”

Weeeeak! Weeeeeak!

I can already hear the march of my forces parading around your capital :D

18. Heliocentric says:

Extra units are single player only. Sega and CA seem to understand this better than EA or Actardiblizzivision. Don’t screw up the balance just to sell a high end sku.

19. Johnson says:

Ah thats good I would be tempted to buy the special edition but held off out of principle, BUT DAMMIT I WANT TO BE NELSON.

20. Erlam says:

The last turn based multiplayer game I played was Chaos Gate, and goddamn that was fun.

21. Fumarole says:

To quote a philosopher of our times: “Dude, I think I just filled the cup.” Thank god, hopefully this is done right.

Am I the only person here wondering what hexual promiscuity is?

22. Neil says:

They never actually say that this mode will be available for free to people who buy the game, only that those people can be in the beta. Are they going to hold it back as a feature for the first expansion pack?

23. Phoenix says:

Hexual as in Sexual but a hex is an octagon on a board game map, which relates to turn based play. If his brain thinks in turns rather than in real life he could be said to be Hexual rather than Sexual ie turn based rather than real time.

1 vs 1 player I think has been decided because rather than using AI for the opposing player your mate will take over the role of the AI. Otherwise when your mate attacks the french you don’t want to be sat around for an hour waiting for the battle to end so you can get on with the game. If you’re both involved in the battle the game continues straight after the battle finishes.

It’ll make the campaign so much more interesting as you won’t have to deal with stupid AI, especially when taking fortifications.

24. Phoenix says:

Multiplayer will be free to anyone who has bought the game

25. blog hosting says:

blog hosting [url=http://wordpress.com]blog hosting[/url] blog hosting [url= http://wordpress.com ] blog hosting [/url] (added by Mobile using Mippin)

26. jordan says:

i really wonder how the 1 vs 1 multi. campaign will work, like if there will b other AI factions to conquer and not just the other real player itself..

Comment on this story