The Top 10 Angry Internet Man Angerers of 2008

By Alec Meer on December 17th, 2008 at 6:50 pm.

This is not my cat, thank Christ

Tis the season to write round-ups, tralalala la la la laaaah. I know we’ve covered much of the same ground in our award-winning* Now That’s Why I Love A Best 2008 Ever series, but I figured there’s room for a separate look back at the biggest storms in teacups of the year that’s nearly gone. Has it really been a year with more flashpoints than usual, or is this just an unfortunate side-effect of the rise and rise of internet discussion, and the Angry Internet Men that inevitably come with it? At any rate- here’s the PC gaming scandals, scandalletes and total non-events that most angered the Angries this year, compiled at random by an idiot (i.e. me). Some uprisings were justified, others less so – but the debate around them always fell prey to MAXIMUM RAGE.

(Oh, and for the record, as it does get a bit overused these days, by ‘Angry Internet Man’ we mean someone who takes a really extreme negative reaction, usually expressed as any or all of swearing, shouting, taking instant offence at offhand comments and a refusal to consider the other side of the coin. That’s as opposed to just someone who’s righteously annoyed and expresses it thoughtfully. Though being a whiny bumhead also counts.)

10. Diablo 3 has colours shocker

(Er – in case you you’re not familiar with it already, that screenshot is one of the crazy mean people’s commentary on Diablo 3, and not our doing)

About the most ridiculous protest of the year, and one that makes me fear for developers’ perceptions of PC gamers. Oh no – long-awaited RPG is slightly more colourful than its predecessors. STOP WHINING. Fair play to Blizzard for actually responding to the irate fans with their reasoning for the change, though were I in their shoes I would, I suspect, refuse to stoop to that level.

9. Sporewar

That’s Spore: the game, not Spore: the copy protection. What was expected to be a cute, inventive follow-up to the Sims and the posterboy for procedural generation turned out to be something else entirely. It suffered the violent wrath of Angry Internet Men because its mini-games failed to meet their sky-high expectations – so their disappointment was entirely understandable, but it’s sad that it seemed to shoot straight to outright dismissal/loathing rather than re-evaluating the game based on its own merits.

It also found itself in the middle of a very different storm, and one that briefly escaped the confines of web-rage to reach the mainstream. I.e. people made penises and buggering couples in it. To some, it was damning proof of the fall of society. Others reacted to news that EA would be banning naughtier creations as though Margaret Thatcher had personally visited them and stomped on their face. Remarkably, Spore as we know it in light of all the fury around it and Spore as really it is are two very different things. It’s sold well, and on the back of being a creation tool more than as the oddball strategy game it becomes.

8. Orc vs Orc

We’ve already talked today about the absurd, insane fanboy fallout from our own comparisons between Warhammer Online and World of Warcraft, but in truth it was a torrent of poison that briefly gripped MMO sites the world over. Notably, MUDfather Richard Bartle endured character assassination by a raft of WAR fansites after an interview in which he apparently stated the two games were very similar. Forums, meanwhile, were full of WAR vs Lich King debate, underpinned by this persistent, spiteful sentiment that WAR was somehow a real man’s game where WoW was some cartoon noobfeed. I know I’ve said it before, but people who play an MMO actively do define themselves by it – and as a result, they’re making PC gaming more tribal than ever. All Orcs are equal, but some orcs are more equal than others.

7. Bethesda Are Worse Than Hitler

There’s been a slow trickle of poison throughout the year about Bethesda handling the second sequel to the old turn-based Fallout RPGs. Surprisingly, the fury was at its worst before release rather than after, with die-hard Fallout fans harshly and bitterly pre-judging the game based on what they saw as Oblivion’s critical failings and resentment that a 2008 game wasn’t 2D, turn-based and PC-only. Extreme exaggeration was everywhere, Bethesda suffered any amount of name-calling and every screenshot was pored over for inconsistencies with the first two Fallouts. Celebration that a third Fallout was happening at all was in incredibly short supply. The white noise of hatred actually seemed to dim upon the game’s release. While it’s got more than its fair share of problems – especially the crashtastic PC port – a goodly number of the angries seemed pleasantly surprised by it. Well, at least until they got to the abysmal ending.

6. Assassin’s Greed

Conversely, AssCreed’s PC port wasn’t greeted with much good cheer. Already carrying something of a bad rep from its console versions – unskippable drear-o-thon cutscenes, a craptastic sci-fi sideplot and too many inane mini-games – its PC version being late, buggy and resource-hungry seemed to erode the last remaining goodwill for it. Matters were made worse by its infamously long-winded and asinine exit-the-game procedure and Ubisoft’s blaming the PC port’s poor sales on – here we go – it being leaked to Bittorrent some weeks before release. Hilariously, they even claimed a fatal bug in that version was included as deliberate security measure. Oh, and there was also some old bollocks about a patch that reduced performance on Radeons. Add to that all the kerfuffle about not allowing their games to be sold over Steam in Europe and the use of Securom in Far Cry 2 – Ubi’s not made friends of many PC gamers this year.

5. Pirates of Goo

This argy-bargy about World of Goo turned out to be the biggest of many big piracy discussions we had here, but it spread far beyond RPS’ thin walls and onto the internet at large. Astoundingly, it was a comment left by 2D Boy on one of our posts, rather than a news story itself, that sparked The Great Rage. “Roughly 90% of WoG copies were pirated”, reckoned 2D Boy. “You’re making that up”, said the piracy-is-a-victimless-crime brigade. No-one knows the full, real extent of the problem, but that a fair few people would seize any excuse to deny that piracy might have been problem for WoG, without any of the facts, made for a sad state of affairs. Once the initially shouting had died down, we were given some more carefully researched stats that seemed to sate the calmer doubters – but it’s a still a distressingly big number, no? Let’s just hope all the controversy helped shift a load of copies of this splendid game.

4. Bioshock Ate My Children

By rights, this should have been 2007′s problem. Unfortunately, it remained (remains?) an open wound for a certain breed of gamer. Many had treated it as the last, best hope of intelligent shooters, and when it turned out to be a stylised corridor-pounder that stopped making sense two thirds of the way through and climaxed with one of the more embarrassing boss fights of recent times, a lot of folk felt betrayed. It’s hard to deny – unless you’re Mad Kieron – that Levine & chums’ shooter pulled far too many punches, but the irrational (pun entirely intended) rage of so many people at the mere mention of its name, even months later, totally overshadowed what it did do very well, in terms of atmosphere, setting, horror and early narrative cleverness. Calm down, dears. Believe it or not, Levine didn’t specifically design the game to offend your sensibilities. Oh – and that it was one of the first games to employ limited-installation DRM horror was a slap in the face that hasn’t yet stopped stinging. The game dodged 0-day piracy because of it, and it’s more than likely it’s thus one of the main precedents for all the Securom punishments of this year’s games.

3. Epic dump the PC

The worst aspect of the Unreal creators clearly giving the finger to the platform that made them in favour of shiny Xbox dollars wasn’t that we wouldn’t get Gears of War 2 or whatever on PC, but rather that Cliffy B, Mark Rein and co just kept on saying stupid stuff throughout the yeaer. They were like a guy who dumped their smart, pretty girlfriend for someone with bigger boobs, but inexpicably kept on slagging off the ex in company. Clearly, they’re still in love with the first girl, but they won’t admit it to themselves or anyone else. Alright, chaps- go away if you must, but do stop it with the uninformed insults. I wonder what irked PC gamers more – that sense of betrayal by one of their early champions, or embarrassment that the preening, bling-draped, nonsense-spouting Cliffy ‘Don’t call me Cliffy B’ B was once one of us.

2. GTAgate

This wound’s so fresh that I barely need summarise it. GTA IV PC’s triple whammy of DRM, unnecessary and irritating ancillary applications and more fatal bugs than Walker’s underwear drawer made this 2008′s final insult to a bunch of gamers that had suffered enough. Frankly, that blood hasn’t been spilt over this camel back-breaker is astounding. Oh – worth noting the first patch came out recently, which purports to fix some of the bugs and performance problems. Good that Rockstar have reacted quickly, but I don’t think anything they could do, short of free hats for every purchaser, is going to make up for the laughable state they released the game in.

1. Spore’s DRM Signals The End Times

I’d say the burning pitchfork treatment that resulted from the revelation of Spore’s internet-only activation and limited installations is an entirely different scandal to dissastisfaction with the game itself for one simple reason – it had nothing to do with the game itself. This was a war of principles, the bloodiest battle to date between freedom-crazed Internet Men and out-of-touch, piracyphobic publishers. The mainstream news reported on it, it introduced the concept of DRM to people who’d never heard of it before, and it convinced more than a few people to utterly loathe a game they hadn’t played. At the heart of it all was the oddly unassuming Spore itself – which, if it hadn’t ended up selling so well, might have been a bizarre Joan of Arc figure for the internet age.

Whatever lessons have been learned from the fiasco and the fury won’t really be clear for a while. Despite all the enraged emails we received demanding we report on Far Cry 2 and Fallout 3′s use of Securom, it’s very likely the case that most of the post-Spore DRMy games would likely have been planned as such months previously. So it’s what happens with next year’s games that will be fascinating. Do publishers truly fear the Angry Internet Man now? And is he the guy in Tiananmen Square he seems to think he is, or just a wild-eyed loon carrying a The End Is Nigh banner?

* If no-one else gives it one, I’m going to award it the title of RPS’ Best Best of 2008 Feature.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. A-Scale says:

“You’re making that up”, said the piracy-is-a-victimless-crime brigade. No-one knows the full, real extent of the problem, but that a fair few people would seize any excuse to deny that piracy had harmed WoG’s sales made for a sad state of affairs. Let’s just hope all the controversy helped shift a load of copies of this splendid game.

You’re committing the fallacy of shifting the burden of proof. It is not an a priori truth that even a single copy of WoG was pirated. That has to be proven with evidence. The evidence we were given seemed sketchy, according to some, and many rejected it. If the piracy defenders were wrong, it certainly wasn’t because they refused to accept the claim that WoG was pirated, without evidence.

2. cyrenic says:

So, for the record; PC gaming is the smart, pretty girl with a flat chest?

3. Dominic White says:

One thing I’m finding increasingly amusing is the divide forming between what the Angry Internet Men think, and what reality tells us.

Fallout 3 springs to mind. Possibly the most preemptively hated game ever. It was the sign of Bethesdas downfall, it was the beginning of the end times, it was raping and pillaging in the streets, and…

It comes out, and somehow went on to get glowing reviews across the board and shift an absolutely ludicrous number of units. One of the biggest sellers on all platforms this year, even. To top it off, the mod tools have been released just recently, and there’s a trio of remarkably good-looking mini-expansions (the first set in pre-war Alaska, even!) due early next year.

Oh, and that ‘terrible ending’? It’s not the ending. The third expansion apparently picks up where the main plot leaves off.

4. dan says:

I literally lol’ed when the headline popped up in my feed reader. Good work RPS!

Surely 2009 can’t get any angrier… can it?

5. A-Scale says:

Also, where’s the starcraft roiling over it being split into 3 parts?

6. lumpi says:

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAWR!

7. Angry Nerd says:

Also, for the record, the last Epic game that worths any attention was UT2004. None of their sh*t brown games should be on PC anyhow.

8. Gap Gen says:

Well, there is no doubt ample evidence for piracy of World of Goo – I’m sure people cited seeing it on torrent sites (the 2D Boy blog definitely quoted at least one link to a Chapter One pre-order code). Like the coverage at the time said, the throw-away comment was replaced by better analysis that put the figure at about 82% (I think?).

Either way, even if World of Goo had a piracy rate of under 1%, pirating it would still be wrong.

9. Youatemycheeto says:

Guys, take note. A-Scale has recognized the universal truth that using terms from intro philosophy classes like “a priori” and “the fallacy of this and that” makes whatever you say seem much more intelligent and sophisticated, regardless of its actual content.

I don’t think anyone said that every single copy of WoG was pirated. Correct me if I’m wrong. What they did was claim that around 90% were pirated without giving as much evidence to back it up as they might have.

It’s important to point out that the initial reactions which Alec was writing about were not, “Hey guys, I’ll believe that stat when I see the evidence” but more along the lines of, “Those guys are idiots, their methodology was clearly wrong, there is no way that many copies were pirated.” There’s a difference.

10. skillian says:

I know the RPS writers love it, but “Angry Internet Man” has to be the worst meme I’ve heard this year. It seems to just be a way of belittling some very justified concerns PC gamers had this year.

To be honest, even after reading this article I can’t really tell if RPS really thinks any of these concerns have any validity.

The last line, “And is he the guy in Tiananmen Square he seems to think he is, or just a wild-eyed loon carrying a The End Is Nigh banner?”, seem to suggest you guys are still making up your minds on whether to continue swimming against the tide or finally admit that there were a lot of fucked up decisions made in PC gaming this year.

Fun article anyway, brought back some memories that made me smile :)

11. Pags says:

Unfortunately Alec, you have retrospectively opened up 10 different cans of worms. Are you prepared?!

12. The_B says:

I’m waiting for the inevitable “RPS Angriest Internet Men of 2008″ feature. Meat Circus and Cliffski* would be high up there. I’d probably be somewhere down so low I’d get into the “Almost idiotically optimistic RPS readers of 2008″ one.

That or “RPS Commenters that Try Too Hard to be Funny and Fail frequently of 2008″

*(Covering my arse with a ‘Love you guys! Mwah. ;) ‘)

13. Naurgul says:

Bah, I don’t like the term “Angry Internet Man”, it’s ridiculously insulting. Sure, there are people who get worked up too much about things but that doesn’t mean that we should just make fun of them and call them names. Remember the part about “refusing to stoop to that level“?

Maybe, you know, just maybe, the so-called “angry internet men” are right in some respects, despite the wrong way they protest. Maybe it’s just the fear we have about the possibility that they are correct that makes is so easy to brush off their ideas, when, all we are entitled to brush off is their behaviour.

Sometimes, I feel like RPS is comprised of some kind of British aristocrats, discussing about the savages that live in their colonies over a cup of tea. And I don’t know whether I should just find it funny or what.

14. Dinger says:

… and she has a drawer full of the most variegated toys and an active imagination concerning how to use them. This explains why, when slagging off on the ex, from time to time the new Console Elite’s pupils will dilate, his gait will devolve to something between a stagger and a waddle, and he will start muttering something about “configuration problems landing me in A&R a few times.”

15. Man Raised By Puffins says:

That cat looks like its been caught yawning rather than in the midst of a fierce rage, although I guess that’s apt too.

16. ZenArcade says:

I agree with Naurgul – the term seems to suggest that to show how you feel about a topic you deem important is stupid. It’s like the “stiff upper lip” thing I guess, some people cannot be fucked with all that bollocks and want to get straight to the point (i.e. me ¬_¬)

17. D says:

Is this an invitation to every Angry Internet Man ever to reiterate his angryness? If so…
    7. I’m still fairly miffed about Fallout 3, mostly because it means we’ll never see a proper one.

18. Flint says:

DRM has to be the most boring issue ever to constantly cause massive uproar wherever it goes.

I mean yeah it’s a silly bad thing but good god the uproar.

19. Hypocee says:

4. That’s an oversimplification of what ‘we’ said, thanks very much Alec, and an immediate halving of The Number followed the less-doolally analysis ‘we’ asked for.

20. Hieremias says:

Let’s be honest though: you guys in the games media love to fuel the nerd rage by talking about it so much. I think I’ve almost seen more posts from the RPS quartet about “Angry Internet Man” than genuine, real, honest-to-goodness angry internet people.

A long thread with many people expressing the same “Ya that Spore DRM is stupid” does not make for a horde of Angry Internet Men.

21. Heliocentric says:

Free hats! The mans a fucking genius. When i publish my app (i won’t call it a game its more of an ai/genetic algorithms toy) my technical support will be entirely sending out hats with an eula saying “by opening this hat i agree i’m not angry.”

22. Tei says:

Talking about DRM is boring, so I avoid it as posible. But seems publishers don’t really want to help. Only one game with DRM is too much. Releasing more games with DRM is calling for a “user rebellion”.

For reference, see pic 1:

23. Heliocentric says:

With Aim’s it matters not whether they are right or wrong in this article. Simply that they are angry and they arn’t afraid to say it. Angry is angry. Right or wrong.

24. Switch625 says:

I bought GTA4 and it didn’t work (even after trying all the various tinkery methods) so I asked for a refund and was told by Steam (in so many words): “We care not for your statutory rights or your Sales of Goods Act 1984, you can’t have a refund.”
    I felt pretty Angry Internet Mannish at the time, but must admit a free hat would’ve gone a long way towards cheering me up.

I like the term Angry Internet Man. It fits nicely with the image I get in my head when I see the 1000th piracy/DRM thread comment stating the same damn thing in hysterically over-wrought language.

In fact, I’d really, really like an AIM hat. Merchandising idea, RPS?

25. garren says:

I hate this whole labeling of “angry internet men” too. It’s so insulting (and retarded) to call peoples opinions and criticisms by such way, even if they just might have a point.

Don’t be a tool. Use your goddamn brain.

26. Tei says:

@Dominic White: [I've suddenly taken leave of my senses and decided to ruin a game loads of people are currently playing! It's hard to say why I'd do such a thing - perhaps I am evil]

note: this comment may or not may [have formerly] contain[ed] traces of spoilers

27. Dan Lawrence says:

@ZenArcade & Nargul

Surely the point is that if you have a serious point you should be able to express your displeasure coherently and without recourse to rudeness. The Angry Men the post refers to are the careening trolls that sling insults left, right and centre at any who dare suggest that perhaps there are might be another side to a story. If you are going to insult people you should at least be funny not just brimming over with thundering rage.

28. Switch625 says:

I think if you read Alec’s disclaimer at the beginning of this article, it’s pretty much implied that if you’re saying something new, or making a good point, you ain’t an Angry Internet Man no matter how angry you actually are, since you’re able to write something coherent that provokes thought.
    The AIM label is reserved for people who just scream and shout about injustices without adding anything to the discussion.

Edit: beaten to it by Dan.

29. Dominic White says:

Tei: Not sure on the specifics. All I know is that the third addon will be called ‘Broken Steel’, and will raise the level cap, add new perks, and feature a story arc going beyond the original ending.

30. The_B says:

Angry Internet Men being angry at becoming Angry Internet Men by being labelled as Angry Internet Men.

Oh the irony?

31. Wisq says:

So, for the record; PC gaming is the smart, pretty girl with a flat chest?

Yes, PC gaming is Alyx Vance.

How fitting that Valve should not only buck the trend of “how much boobage can we stick on a video game character?”, but that they should define and represent their own “home” platform in the process. ;)

32. Larington says:

To re-make an important point, the problem with Angry Internet Men isn’t that they have a justified dislike of something, but rather the method by which they point out this dislike of something. Usually involving lots of swearing, and an inability to actually state the grievance in a calm manner. Oh, also a propensity towards being overly defensive when someone puts forward a counter-proposal that conflicts with what they want in any way.

Oh, and my vote for biggest Angry Internet Man for 2008 would clearly go to that person who is convinced piracy helps sales and couldn’t possibly be detrimental to the PC ever, at all. Who constantly goes on about his evidence but refuses to actually link to said evidence in a free-to-access form. Hmm, I’m wondering if I should omit this last paragraph lest someone try leaping upon me over this comment.

Oh, and who here wouldn’t at least want to get to know Alyx better…

33. ZenArcade says:

so if I flower my posts with jokes, i’ll be taken seriously?

As far as I know, most “angry internet men” from here do exactly what you just said, bar a few overwhelming posts, but one or two among a sea of genuine complaints isn’t bad going…

Larington: So like most discussions then?

34. Mo says:

Oh snap, the Angry Internet Men are getting angry about being called Angry Internet Men! ;)

35. Switch625 says:

ZenArcade: I don’t think anyone has specifically said that you are an AIM, have they? By the definitions most are putting forward, you aren’t one.

36. Mo says:

I knew I should have refreshed before commenting … The_B beats me to the joke.

37. Jockie says:

Number 8 is still going and if not across the internet then in WAR itself.

I decided to start a new character after not playing for a while today and some guy, obviously new asked in a chat channel if the ability to view armours before buying, that exists in WoW was in the game. About 5 people jumped in instantly telling him to f*** off back to his childrens game.

38. ZenArcade says:

lol… switch, i don’t define my entire life by being an AIM ;) I do feel as though that term is applied to anyone who isn’t a quiet, reserved little boy who talks politely and doesn’t swear… (not all of us went to grammar school guys, duuuuh)

Although I spose it’s only human to create distinctions in certain circles, as in the article above, PC gaming is becoming more and more “tribal” which is a massive shame.

39. Larington says:

As I understand it, RPS does moderate stuff, some of the piracy discussions were heavily moderated so that most of us don’t have to witness this sort of behaviour, nor let it distract people from conducting some mature discussion of the issue being covered.

Meanwhile, DRM foibles aside, I’m now of the opinion that EA is maturing as a games publisher, and that this is a good thing. Acti/Blizz/Vendi meanwhile, are currently going backwards imho.

40. Caramon says:

@Tei: joder, macho, no tienes remedio. Vas jodiendo los finales de todo por todos sitios. Primero Harry Potter y ahora Fallout 3?

To the rest: sorry, old feud.

41. Optimaximal says:

I was always under the impression Angry Internet Man defined the opinion-less sheeple who had no prior experience of what he/she was shouting about and had heard it second/third-hand on the internet.

Case in point – Spore/SecuROM. It’s not that people weren’t justifiable in complaining – EA set a dangerous precedent this year as they likely have no intentions of capitulating like 2K and removing any limitations after a while because it’s helping their crusade against the second-hand market.

It’s the fact they deliberately spamming Amazon reviews (amongst others) with comments like ‘I haven’t played Spore so can’t comment on its content, but the guy posting above me gave it 1 star citing DRM/SecuROM Malware/Rootkits/Paying full price for a game rental/insert reason here so I’m going to copy him, rate the game 1 star and pirate it anyway!’.

42. Switch625 says:

WoW hate is nothing new. I used to play Guild Wars and it existed there. It’s basically gaming’s equivalent of the music lover who regards chart music as “retarded” (disclaimer: this is me) or the art-house film guy who moans about Hollywood dumbing-down movies.

There’s this sense of once you get too popular, you’re not cool anymore. It’s no bad thing, in my book, as it often enables obscure stuff to get noticed solely on its “cool” factor, which then turns out to be actually quite excellent on its own merits.

43. Simon Jones says:

I was inconveniently (so I thought) on holiday when GTA IV was unlocked on Steam. Consequently, on my return, it installed and run without any DRM/authentication issues whatsoever, and I have also encountered no bugs so far and it runs at a solid, friendly framerate.

Upon checking back over the week’s worth of RPS that I’d missed while away, I was rather perplexed to read all the armageddon-laden posts about GTAgate. It’s almost like I somehow ended up with a completely different, stable version of the game to everyone else.

44. Pags says:

so if I flower my posts with jokes, i’ll be taken seriously?

Ironic as it may seem, it does at least go some way to showing you’re not deadly serious about the subject. Having the propensity to not take something like DRM as being a matter of vital importance is a good way of singling yourself out from the people who take that sort of thing as some sort of personal insult.

45. Larington says:

Sarcasm, meanwhile, buries an Angry Internet Mans commentary behind an obfuscating layer of uncertainty that makes his point even more difficult to grasp. Or so I find.

I certainly don’t like having to translate sarcasm out of someones comment when I’d genuinely like to understand what that persons grievance is.

46. AndrewC says:

Actually Angry Internet Men *should* be ridiculed and *should* be ignored. As soon as they start shouting discussion stops and turns into an argument solely about winning and losing instead of moving forwards towards argreement and solution. Nothing useful can happen when AIMs are around.
    The rhetoric of hyperbole, where any problem is always The Worst Thing In The World, is merely a variation on Godwin’s Law, and only shows that the AIM is cynically misrepresenting the problem or has an understanding incapable of nuance.
    The Manichean need to cast the debate in terms of ‘goodies’ and ‘baddies’ is evidence either of a simplistic and childish worldview or a dangerously dogmatic worldview that can not allow even the slightest compromise or change in viewpoint
    The demonisation of the ‘other’ is always linked to the beatification of the ‘self’ and as such only speaks to the arrogance of the AIM and nothing about the topic in hand.

Whether dangerous or pathetic, they are poison, and always undermine the case of whatever cause they are arguing.

47. Nimic says:

To be fair some of these are very much valid concerns. I do think the “Angry Internet Man” thing is a bit silly.

48. A-Scale says:

Indeed, how dare I try to class things up by using words larger than “methodology”? My point is not that 2d boy did not prove that every copy was pirated (straw man fallacy lolol), but rather that they didn’t prove that ANY were pirated. The numbers they put out were criticized by many as erroneous. If scientists put out a study stating that global warming would flood London by 2020, and it was then criticized by others who said it was erroneous, we wouldn’t just scale back the prediction and say “Ok, 2030 then!”, the study would be discarded. I’m tossing out their evidence until I see something more substantial that doesn’t rely on heavy exaggeration.

49. Trezoristo says:

Oh, the good times :).

I don’t think there is any need to feel attacked. Whenever something becomes an issue on the internet there are always people who’ll take the extreme uncompromising negative stance on the matter. I believe that’s the crowd the term ‘Angy internet men’ is referring too.

50. Deadpan says:

So what you’re saying is, no matter what you do, there will be a mob of fanboys that will get pissed off and scream at the top of their lungs. DRM, more colors, not being a byte-for-byte copy of the original franchise, it’s not coming to my console, my console is better than your console, etc, etc.

And publications/blogs and commentards like me enjoy nothing more than waiving the bait above the cage. :D

On that note, I resolve to wait a week after release of any new PC game I want to get. Hands still sore from all the bugbites, and my face is still sore from all the palming because the honest reviews don’t come out until after it hits.

Comment on this story