Peggle Extreme(ly Cheap (In Fact Free))

By Kieron Gillen on December 18th, 2008 at 9:03 am.

PEGGGGGGGLLLLLLEEEEEE!

While we’re all deep in the “Man, remember that 2008!” demi-ironic naval-gazing, let’s take it further. Remember 2007? Ah, those were amazing days. Remember Peggle Extreme, the Orange-Box-included bonus mini-Peggle game? That headcrab on the unicorns head was funny and similar and… oh, no, can’t stretch this out. Peggle Extreme is now free to anyone with a Steam account. If you haven’t played it yet for some reason, get it from here.

When the_B told me about this, I told him that I knew about it already. But I didn’t! What I was thinking about was the free new level pack for Peggle Nights. So thanks, The_B.

, , , , .

1. MisterBritish says:

How many Peggles is it?

2. Gap Gen says:

Just tell him you know anyway, to look smart.

3. Kieron Gillen says:

Aw, man. That was the best of our retired gags.

KG

Mr Pink says:

This is essentially a glorified demo. It was good enough to make me buy the original afterwards though, so job done on Popcap’s part!

5. Heliocentric says:

How long before the_b joins the hivemind? He gets name checked more often than the cradle.

Seniath says:

This reminds me, I’ve still barely touched Peggle Nights. Does this make me a Bad Man?

James G says:

He’s trying to join the Hivemind by stealth, gradually feeding it tips and pointers until it finds it unable to find stories on its own. Then the_B can reveal its (for the_B is a robot really) trump card, and threaten to withdrawal its support unless it becomes a true part of the Hivemind. Or Not.

8. Flubb says:

In other bad news, Steam has swapped me over to GB Sterling without me wanting to :(

9. Gap Gen says:

The_B is scarier than Cradle.

10. SKACE says:

How long it takes to create this “bonus”? 1 Hour?… Relase editor please!!!

11. Tony says:

Lucky you didn’t post this yesterday it may have exploded into the Top 10 AIM Angerers.

12. klo8 says:

Is this the same version like the one that went with the Orange Box?

13. SKACE says:

No its better… On my laptop the resolution of screen is horrible and only 4:3 …

14. SKACE says:

I mean only in this game

15. Psychopomp says:

Um…Obviously?

16. Eamo says:

Ah well, free items is the only ones I will be buying on steam for now. I log in today and see they have changed me over to euro prices.

The exchange rate you get €1 = $1. This is basically a 30-40% price hike on every single steam game, now you dont have to pay vat anymore but its still a 15% price hike after that. Now, I love steam and used it a lot. The account worth calculator at http://www.alabasterslim.com/worth.php tells me I have $1068.18 worth of games in my steam account but that change means I won’t be purchasing there anymore.

I will still use steam for the very convenient installer / uninstaller / patcher but it will be back to buying boxes in stores and just registering the cd-key on steam.

It was good while it lasted.

17. ChaosSmurf says:

EDIT: Yeah I’m a dumbass, nevermind.

@Eamo:

You sure it did a 1 -> 1 conversion? When it changed to pounds for me some things were a lot cheaper.

18. Eamo says:

@ChaosSmurf

1 Euro = 1.46 USD

Since the price conversion they used is just changing the currency sign in front so that a game that used to cost $19.99 now costs €19.99 that is a 46% price hike to be exact (subtract the 22% vat you pay in ireland and it leaves a 24% price hike).

I am guessing you don’t know the difference between a £ (Brittish Pound) sign and the € (Euro) sign. Maybe if I lived in the UK it would be less difference.

I wonder if the powers that be in valve realise that the programmer tasked with Euro support just stuck the line “replace(‘$’, ‘€’)” at the end of the store script and called the job done.

19. Eamo says:

What happened to the exclamation point before the = on my last post. ChaosSmurf I didn’t look at every single price and there may be some exceptions but the front page prices are all just swapped with that lazy 1 to 1 conversion.

20. ChaosSmurf says:

Yeah, I confused $ with £, thought you were saying they’d converted from dollars to pounds and then just changed the sign.

Interesting that they’ve been retarded with the euro pricing and not the £ pricing. Hope its a mistake or they’re likely to lose some sales – there really isn’t much excuse for a Steam title to cost _much_ more than a store bought box. Minimum charge for the install anywhere ability and ease of purchase shouldn’t even go above the amount saved for not paying for a box, manual, CD and machine time for all of those.

21. Gap Gen says:

I heard Peggle had a piracy rate of 134%.

22. Zuffox says:

Remember to get the Holiday pack for Peggle Nights – you know, for those of you true Peggle fans who bought the sequel recklessly.

23. Calabi says:

I cannot see the fun in bouncing balls about.

24. Down Rodeo says:

I remember Peggle Extreme – it made me buy the full game too. Never did get Nights though. Perhaps in a weaker moment I will, sometime.

25. itsallcrap says:

I heard Peggle had a piracy rate of 134%.

If you heard it and it can be used to argue for stricter DRM, then it’s definitely true.

26. itsallcrap says:

On a more relevant note, this package is the first place I played peggle, and I love it.
    It’s exactly the right amount of peggle – playing through the full version I found myself getting bored towards the end even though I was too addicted to stop anyway.

27. Duke Nasty VI says:

Peggle is a portal to the future.

28. Duke Nasty VI says:

I just noticed World of Goo is sold for €20 on Steam, and for $20 directly from 2D Boys’ website. That means I’ll save £6 / $9 / €6 if I omit Steam. Should be an easy choice to make.

29. cliffski says:

I’m sure 2DBoy will appreciate it more too.

30. The_B says:

Thahe_B

Damn my name, it doesn’t make the joke work as well. :(

31. TonicBH says:

This game wasted some of my time when I didn’t wanna play Portal or TF2. And now everybody will experience Peggle’s addicting nature.

Now… how about a two-for-the-price-of-one deal on original Peggle and Peggle Nights? Come on Popcap, don’t be that stingy!

32. Nick says:

@The_B: Or, indeed, at all.

33. The_B says:

THAT NEVER STOPPED ME & JOKES BEFORE!