Ship Simulator 2010 Extremes

By Jim Rossignol on December 19th, 2008 at 11:05 am.

That’s right: Extremes. Our favourite ship simulation game will be back in summer 2009 with both hot and cold weather, along with some very big waves, as you can see in the trailer that follows. All they have to do now is to implement a realistic damage model and it will be the best non-combat ship game of all time.

Teaser of Ship Simulator 2010 from Pjotr van Schothorst on Vimeo.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Heliocentric says:

The moment you implement a damage model i’ll play it violently. You can’t eat your cake and still have it. Unless you are bulemic.

2. Larington says:

Hmm, video isn’t coming through for me at the moment. Oh well.

3. Stromko says:

A realistic damage model AND a pirate hunting mode where you can unload a quad-.50 cal into a fishing boat full of armed men while weaving between incoming rocket propelled grenades, would be the only way I’d put up with a realistic ship sim. Sorry, I’m weak.

4. Jochen Scheisse says:

You definitely need a realistic damage model for Perfect Storm mode. SimCity had Godzzilla and it was still a peaceful manager.

5. Chris Evans says:

I love how one of the features for the 2008 version was….waves :D

Next step is, of course, a damage model :D

6. Magic says:

With a realistic damage model you could finaly crash a passenger liner into an iceberg virtually, properly… Which would be great I suppose.

7. Ergates says:

A pirate mode where you could unload a quad-.50 cal into a fishing boat full of unarmed fishermen would be infinitely superior.

8. Calabi says:

To be fair though, water is one of the hardest things to simulate. Damage in water would be even harder.

9. Flappybat says:

Somehow this game actually looks quite good.

“Advanced damage system showing dents and holes in the ships after severe collisions”

I don’t think that’s going to be as awesome as it should be. Needs to be like carmageddon where you can get sheared in half.

10. Flappybat says:

Oh and icebergs are in too!

“Addition of icebergs which cause damage when you collide with them”

11. Lim-Dul says:

Well – if you can sail the coast of Somalia then the feature kinda implements itself given the realistic damage model. ^^

By the way – Ship Simulator 2010, coming summer 2009? I always chuckle at version numbers like these although other games do it too. In other news: Train Simulator 2012, coming spring 2009. ;-)

12. Larington says:

Heh, you could make an microtransaction and advertising funded free-to-play MMO with what we’ve got here. Only without stupid quests but rather races and stuff. Hrmmmmm.

13. tom says:

PLURAL IS TEH NEW CAPS!

Makes everything better.
    Im off to play tomb raiders: underworlds

14. jonfitt says:

What’s the point of an Extreme Ship Simulator if you can’t slice the side of the ship open on a iceberg and realistically sink?

Ctrl-Alt-E: Start Ship Evacuation
    Ctrl-1-7: Send SOS
    Alt-B: Start the band playing.

15. Devan says:

I’ve never played any of these games, but I’d like to try sometime. Does the “extreme” weather do anything other than affect your navigation? In the worst conditions would you have to worry about rogue waves and turning broadside to the wind? Would you start to take on water and have to manage the bilge pumps go stay afloat? Would you ever have to navigate shipping lanes in a thick fog?
    Do you get to watch your ship break apart and sink like in Silent Hunter III? I’d really like to see somthing like that..

16. theleif says:

I will buy it if they include Space Battleship Yamato

17. pepper says:

This simulator needs Silent Hunter III explosions and sinking animations! I still thoroughly enjoy those!
    Devon, i presume if you dont keep your ship on the waves the right way then you would sink..

18. Hypocee says:

I really don’t get the constant half-ironic pressure for damage models and sinkings. In the end, you’d be so very fired just for bumping a pier too hard. I do welcome the request for ballast and bilge modeling, though – that can get fairly interesting.

19. Conormoney5 says:

I think all the cool explosions and getting split in half would Be really good I would only buy the game if it could be like the Titannic (spliting in half and sinking ) also it would be cool if you could swim after you sink

20. simualtor832 says:

They need to make a ship simulator like flight simulator where you can go all over the world.

id love to simulate a cruise or something.

21. Deep-Sea Pilot kstep says:

I hope for more realistic AI, more heavy traffic in harbour/narrow channels and a better radar with AIS-system.

22. Dan says:

This game needs the Collision Regulations to be accurately applied. The single most important aspect of navigating in traffic and it seems to be completely overlooked.

23. Joe says:

When will the sale Ship Simulator 2010?