Ice Age Begins: Cryostasis Tech Demo

By Kieron Gillen on December 20th, 2008 at 11:35 am.

What do you mean 'I don't think a second date would be a good idea?'

This is quite interesting, if only because you don’t see many people do it anymore. 1C have released an almost 1-gig Vista techdemo of their forthcoming FPS/Survival-Horror boat-based Cryostasis. It’s a canned demo which walks you through the grin corridors of the boat where it’s set, and shows off some of its fancier engine elements. They’re particularly showing off the water and fabric modeling – the best of which comes towards the end. Download it if you’re the sort who spends a bit too much time staring at textures in FPS games. We know you exist. You’ll find the old trailer beneath the cut if you need an introduction…

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. SlappyBag says:

Aww thats the first time I’ve seen the trailer and I’m annoyed the demo is only a tech-demo. Reminds me of Condemned somewhat.

2. Malagate says:

Slight problem, on the download page it says “This tech demo requires Windows Vista”. Obviously not a problem for those who do have Vista, shame I’m not one of them.
    This sort of game, even as a tech demo, is exactly the sort of thing I like too. Is there any indication that when the actual game ships it’ll be vista only as well?

3. hydra9 says:

@Malagate:
    The tech demo is apparently to show off PhysX effects and only supports Vista and certain GeForce cards… so it says.
    However, the game will be for XP & Vista. Should be coming out in March.

4. windlab says:

Climbing up that ladder only to see the shadow of a-bloke-with-an-axe behind you would be terrifying in game…

5. jonelo says:

The demo is only for Vista , but not only for Nvidia videocards .

Of course, the game, not is the Russian Bioshock.

Media

6. Theory says:

Well this is great: the option for Dx9 is greyed out. Anyone know the command lines?

7. jonelo says:

I believe that SM 4.0 /Dx10 is mandatory

8. Lobster says:

I am quite surprised how well this ran, the fluid physics are impressive, but some of the water looks more like mercury on my system, been looking forward to the game for a while though, hope it isnt to far off.

9. Malagate says:

@ Hydra & Jonelo, thanks for the info, it’s music to my ears. I didn’t know it was already out in Russia, I just hope that a good translation is done, or the option to play in Russian is included. I’d rather play in a language I don’t understand if the translation is just so weird like in Pathologic.

10. teo says:

Lots of vids of it on youtube
    just make sure you click HQ

11. Toby Everett says:

Fear meets Penumbra meets Condemned… that what im seeing

Well it looks decent, though the enemy encounters don’t look especially scary. Bad choice of trailer music too :P

I’d like to see more

12. Subject 706 says:

Weeell, the water physics were rather impressive, though it did look rather more like mercury in some places, like Lobster said. The cloth physics though, were ace. Maybe Nvidias PhysX initiative is actually worthwhile.

13. diebroken says:

Excellent, can’t wait for this to be released worldwide early next year. It sure does look damn fine! :)

Any word that this might be released on Steam, say with the upcoming game Necrovision…?

14. nabeel says:

Another game where I have to say I’m not really that interested in it, but am glad to see this being done. If I had Vista I might have tried it just out of curiosity.

nabeel

15. Gap Gen says:

Is that cut-between-two-different-events thing part of the game?

16. Putter says:

These effects are pretty neat, and the game’s from Eastern Europe so that makes me irrationally excited.

I went on youtube comments to see what “regular” people were saying about this. Pretty much every person said it was (somehow) a rip-off of Bioshock. Just wrong in so many ways…Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed Bioshock, but it’s just wrong for reasons discussed all too frequently.

17. DigitalSignalX says:

Is the final release be dx10/sm4 vista only? If so.. unapologetic pass.

18. Rook says:

No one, especially a russian company would release a game that was Vista+DX10 only.

19. jonelo says:

DigitalSignalX , the game has SM 2.0 . SM 3.0 and SM 4.0

20. diebroken says:

@Putter: I’d hate to see people dismiss Cryostasis as being a BioShock-ripoff, but I’m also seeing this happen in just about every forum/thread is visit that’s discussing the game… :(

It’s not like BioShock didn’t take ‘inspiration’ from other games (apart from System Shock/Deus Ex series, the most noticeably to me being Condemned – the Match Maker serial killer being akin to Sander Cohen in Fort Frolic, in the way victims are modelled in tableau, masks, mannequins, etc.).

21. Dave says:

With that name, that’s one less game Crytek can deliver…

22. jonelo says:

The name in Russian is Anabiosis . And Cryostasis not is a trademark of Crytek .

The root Cry, although it may seem incredible, there prior to the existence of Crytek and video games. You know, there was a world before Crytek, although videogamers not know about this XD . I believe that is a Greek root “kryos” , and this means “cold”

Cryostasis

Anabiosis

The game is in the sea – frozen but is a sea – has water like Bioshock – usually frozen – and in some part -fifth or sixth level – sounds for 20 seconds a music like bioshock music

23. eyemessiah says:

Hrm, its busted on my system.

What a shame.

24. hydra9 says:

Idiots have been calling this a ‘BioShock rip-off’ for a long time. Ignore ‘em.

25. MeestaNob! says:

This game looks brilliant, the assailant losing his balance on the dingy was very well done (although earlier the guy inadvertently kicking the shard of ice like it were a frisbee wasn’t as special).

Someone please reassure me this wont be a horrible disappointment, as it’s looking potentially game of the year-ish to me.

26. Freudian Slip says:

No offense to the makers of this game but it looked a bit.. shit.

(having only seen the trailer)

The lighting looked a little over-done to say the least. The fighting animation looked cheesy and seemed that it would look worse than Oblivion in-game (There’s a reason no-one fights hand-to-hand and it isn’t just because swords make our cocks grow) I’d go on but I’m lazy and don’t write a blog on it.

27. NuZZ says:

Played the tech demo and it is very nice. Ran very well considering. If I were to grab my old 8600GTS and use it for PhysX then yeah it may run much better.

Either way this game looks more entertaining and PC orientated over bioshock.

28. mejobloggs says:

confined spaces *whimper* game looked pretty scary from the trailer imo

29. Psychopomp says:

If there’s anything Penumbra taught me, it’s that the only for a game to scare me is to remove any feasible method for combat.

Regardless, Cryostasis looks purty good..

30. Valentin Galea says:

No dynamic shadows from the flashlight:( That’s a pity, considering what the engine can do.

After Silent Hill Homecoming and HL2-EP2 there is no excuse that the flashlight doesn’t cast shadows! It’s plain wrong:)

31. Alex says:

Hmm… looks like a high tech uber scripted FPS, á la Dark Corners of Earth with DX10. I don´t like those. They tend to become so predictably boring after half an hour of gameplay.

32. Michael says:

Talked to the devs at the GC in Leipzig in the PR-Section. They showed me the game and it was looking fine. But the gameplay was always broken up when the player needs to warm up. It kinda sucks that the warming-up-phase takes a minute or two and you can’t do anything while you’re getting hot. But you need to do this cause otherwise you’d fucking die cause of fucking ice.

errr well. yeah. graphics were nice :)

33. Heliocentric says:

The beauty of the pc is. If the warm up is too slow? Mod it. Sorted. Hopefully the real game will give you interesting things to do in the warm.

34. jonelo says:

Really warming takes about 10-20 seconds. But it is much for a player today . But maybe in the alpha version was 2 minutes ;)

35. jonelo says:

5 seconds for the complete warming . I know that everyone will say that it is like Bioshock, is inevitable. This is the only part in the game – maybe 20 seconds – with music “like Bioshock”. But it is impossible to avoid the topic, the game is like Bioshock XD

36. Scandalon says:

I was intrigued by this, then I tracked down the website and scanned through a couple screenshots…soon, I was looking at mutants from Stalker 3… Seriously, can’t we get a high-tech 3d game that doesn’t involve aliens, mutants, genetically modified soldiers, bioweapons and/or psychics? (Or government* conspiracies involving aliens, mutants, genetically modified soldiers, bioweapons and/or psychics?) Or, if I have to chance upon a mutant super-soldier, for once, can he *NOT* try and kill me? Perhaps he could actually be dealing with the trauma of being turned into something less/more than human? Of course, if I ever get that in a game, invariably I’d have to kill them or they’d kill themselves…

It’s either that or orcs and elves.

*USA’s government, or, if we’re lucky, Russia.

/me ponders a shadowy government agency involved in the Orcs and Elves conspiracy.

37. dmitry says:

Man, RPS has only three posts on Cryostasis. Kinda funny. The game was okay, I find.